Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2017, 12:00   #526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post
Hi,

I would like to know the road condition from Vizag to Bhubaneswar. I am planning to catch a Kolkata bound flight at 8PM from Bhubaneswar. When should I start from Vizag to reach Bhubaneswar safely, park my car at Patya (Nandan Kanan road) and come back to airport for the flight?

Thanks for your help.
A 6-7am departure from Vizag should be ideal.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 13:49   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
That would be an overkill. If his flight is at 8 pm, he has to reach the airport by 7 pm. Nandankanan to airport is around 20 kms and will take him maximum 50 minutes, given Bhubaneswar's lack of traffic density.

If he has to reach Patya by 5 pm, he can safely start by 10 or 11 am, and have lunch on the way, apart from a small stop at Barkul to have a look at the Chilika Lake.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 02:09   #528

Going to do a trip, early March to Vizag/Bhubaneshwar/Cuttack and back to Bangalore. On the onward journey, I need to driving only in daylight and not more than 10-11 hours due to my sister being with me and she's not too well in terms of being able to withstand very long hours of driving. Have to take longer breaks also!

I was planning it this way -

Day 1 - Bangalore - Tirupathi - Naidupet - Vijaywada - Leave Bangalore at about 6 AM and be in Vijaywada by about 5-6 PM and stay there (either Fortune or Gateway - suggestions welcome)

Day - 2 Vijaywada - Rajmundhri - Vizag - Leave Vijaywada at about 6 AM and reach Vizag by about 2-3 PM

Day- 3 and 4 - stay in Vizag - this is one of the main ideas for the trip. I lived in Vizag for 4 years (2000-2004) and my sister is sick of hearing about my reminiscences and wants to see what the hulabaloo is about! Staying with a friend.

Day - 5 Vizag - Chilka Dhaba - Bhubaneshwar - Leave Vizag at about 6 AM and reach Chilka by lunchtime. Have lunch at the Chilka dhaba and reach Bhubaneshwar by 4-5 PM. Stay in Bhubaneshwar. If anyone has any suggestions about the Chilka lunch, I'm open to suggestions. I read somewhere that the OTDC Panthnivas at Rambha is a better bet, can anyone suggest something?

Day 6 - Drop sister at the airport to return to Bangalore (06:45 reporting) and hang around the airport to wait for my Uncle to arrive from Kolkata (11:00). Boring! Leave Bhubaneshwar at about 12:00 depending on flight arrival and drive to a Village 42 km from Cuttack - Have done this many times and should be in the Village by about 3 PM.

On this onward trip, I shall be the only driver and there are three people traveling, all adults, in a Honda BR-V manual, petrol.

Will be in the village for 4 days during Holi and then start back. On this journey, again, we shall be 3 till Bhubaneshwar where my uncle gets dropped off at the Airport. After that there will be just the 2 of us, both drivers and I want to do Bhubaneshwar - Bangalore in 2 days. Was thinking of the following plan-

Day 1 - BBSR-Vizag-Vijaywada - Leave BBSR at 05:30 and be in Vijaywada by about 17:30. Stay in Vijaywada. Would be glad for suggestions for an economical place to stay in Vijaywada.

Day 2 - Leave Vijaywada at 05:30 and be in Bangalore by about 19:30 via Hyderabad.

This entire trip will most probably be from 5th - 16th of March and I expect it to be pretty hot, climate wise...

I have the following main questions:

1. Is this plan doable? Is there anything that I have missed? I aim to drive sedately (90-100) throughout and are the times that I have estimated realistic?

2. Are there any bad stretches on the routes that I have planned? Are there any other routes that are better?

I have driven longer stretches on some very lousy roads earlier, but as I grow older, I am more worried about those things now.

Thank you all in advance for any suggestions that would make this trip a comfortable one!
Old 6th February 2017, 17:03   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
That would be an overkill. If his flight is at 8 pm, he has to reach the airport by 7 pm. Nandankanan to airport is around 20 kms and will take him maximum 50 minutes, given Bhubaneswar's lack of traffic density.

If he has to reach Patya by 5 pm, he can safely start by 10 or 11 am, and have lunch on the way, apart from a small stop at Barkul to have a look at the Chilika Lake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
Vizag to Bbsr. Cake walk bud. Excellent surface. Appx 420km, and can maintain an average speed of about 70kmph. Only issue of concern is the Inter-State border check post at Chikiti which may entail having to cross over to the opposite lane to negotiate the jam. Beware of the 2-wheelers who travel in the opposite direction of fast lane. Should take max 6-7hrs driving time.
Thanks to all of you again for your valuable suggestions. I was a bit tensed particularly on crossing Icchapuram and driving on the opposite lane in a NH. However, it might be due to lunch hours, trucks were less and I could cross the border in 10 minutes.

Started from MVP Double Road, Vizag at 7:30 am and reached Jayadev Vihar, Bhubaneswar at 1:20 PM with one break. No comments on roads, a beautiful tarmac no doubt. But finding food and ladies restrooms might be a bit difficult. However, I reached Bhubaneswar safely, took a power nap and caught my 8PM flight on time.

While coming back from Bhubaneswar, we drove to Chilika Lake from Rambha and enjoyed a short boat ride with lunch at OTDC. That is one decent option in the entire stretch I found with a 3 KM diversion and a railway signal on its way.

Throughout the entire stretch of Hyderabad to Bhubaneswar, sometimes I found bikers driving on the right or middle lane. Surprisingly truckers were changing lanes without any signal or even hand signal which was scary. Driving at night was far better as truckers gave due respect to dippers.

I followed Vijaywada - Eluru - Nallajerla -Rajamuhndry route which reduced the distance between Rajamuhndry and Vijaywada by 40 to 50 KMs. Crossed Godavari 4th bridge to take this route while driving back from Vizag. Truck traffic is heavy and road condition is slightly bad near Rajamuhndry.

Crossing Vijaywada in Sunday evening turned out to be painful. It took 2 hours to cross the city and severely reduced my average. Traffic was heavy near Vijaywada airport (AH 45) and GPS took me to Tunnel road and Vijaywada Bypass road to reach Hyderabad highway at 8 PM. At 12am I came back to Raidurgam, Hyderabad.
livetodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 17:42   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlingalong View Post

Day 1 - Bangalore - Tirupathi - Naidupet - Vijaywada - Leave Bangalore at about 6 AM and be in Vijaywada by about 5-6 PM and stay there (either Fortune or Gateway - suggestions welcome)
Gateway any day!

Quote:

1. Is this plan doable? Is there anything that I have missed? I aim to drive sedately (90-100) throughout and are the times that I have estimated realistic?
easily doable.

Quote:
2. Are there any bad stretches on the routes that I have planned? Are there any other routes that are better?
nothing worth mentioning.
Old 7th April 2017, 19:48   #531
BHPian

Hi,
I would be driving to Nellore, starting from Bengalooru tomorrow afternoon. From previous posts, it sounds like the road conditions on the Tirupathi-Naidupet route are good.
What are the options for stops on this route, with good veg food and clean toilets?
Old 7th April 2017, 19:50   #532
BHPian

Hi,
I would be driving to Nellore, starting from Bengalooru tomorrow afternoon. From previous posts, it sounds like the road conditions on the Chittor-Tirupathi-Naidupet route are good.
What are the options for stops on this route, with good veg food and clean toilets?
Thanks!
EDIT: Double-post! Mods please remove the first one, sorry!
Old 24th April 2017, 10:08   #533
BHPian

Hi team,

I am planning to attend a wedding at Vijayawada over the long weekend.
I intend to drive from Bangalore to Vijayawada in my Hyundai Xcent AT car.
We are 4 adults and 2 kids. I would drive the majority of the stretch. My sister might chip in. I plan to start on Friday 28th April from Bangalore (BTM).

1. Could you please suggest the best route possible. In most of the posts I see the route being Bangalore -> Kolar -> Tirpathi -> Nayudupeta -> Nellore -> Ongole -> Guntur -> Vijayawada. Is this the best option. How much times does one require (without any breaks). My breaks are little undecided hence want to know the drive time alone.
2. I might take a break at Tirupati, even an overnight halt keeping the elders in mind. Is Bhimas a good option at Tirupati?
3. The main concern I have are wash rooms. In the stretch between Tirupati and Vijayawada what are good places to stop for wash room facilities and may be a snack.
4. Any other tips and tricks to keep the vehicle and passengers cool during this summer is also welcome.

Needless to say this is my first drive on this route. More details the better.

Venkat K
Old 24th April 2017, 14:27   #534
BHPian

Since I've driven a couple of times on this route on precisely the same car as yours, I suppose my response would be most appropriate !

Yes. this is the best route. Roads are fine. The stretch from Karnataka/Andhra border to Naidupeta is single carriageway ; the rest is all superb dual carriageway.

10 hours drive time with very sedate driving. Can do faster if you want to. Would have been faster but for the single carriageway section where you can admire the beauty of a line of trucks transporting Hyundais or Marutis at 30 kmph .

Amaravathi near Gudur is a good place for a break . Right on the highway , clean rest rooms and decent food. Well signposted; so you won't miss it. Another option in N5 Food Plaza above the toll plaza at Tangutur, before Ongole. Also decent and with clean rest rooms. Both are on Google maps.
Secretariat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 19:48   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Since I've driven a couple of times on this route on precisely the same car as yours, I suppose my response would be most appropriate !

Yes. this is the best route. Roads are fine. The stretch from Karnataka/Andhra border to Naidupeta is single carriageway ; the rest is all superb dual carriageway.

10 hours drive time with very sedate driving. Can do faster if you want to. Would have been faster but for the single carriageway section where you can admire the beauty of a line of trucks transporting Hyundais or Marutis at 30 kmph .

Amaravathi near Gudur is a good place for a break . Right on the highway , clean rest rooms and decent food. Well signposted; so you won't miss it. Another option in N5 Food Plaza above the toll plaza at Tangutur, before Ongole. Also decent and with clean rest rooms. Both are on Google maps.
Thanks a lot sir. This is excellent information, precisely what I was looking for. Feels much better seeing the photos of Amaravathi and NH5 Food Plaza. Are there any dos and donts that you suggest given you have done this with Xcent AT.
Old 2nd May 2017, 13:31   #536
BHPian

Did this trip over May 1st long weekend.
Took me 11 and half hours from Bangalore to Vijayawada (drove alone).
Started 5:30 AM BTM layout. Reached Grand Minerva Vijayawada at 5:00 PM.
Took a break at The BANS hotel (Chittoor Bye pass).
After Tirupati, I missed my way. I went to Gudur without touching Naidupeta.
I took the Venkatagiri route. Distance wise they seem to be the same. This is a state highway. Though no traffic, too many speed breakers.

Wanted to take a break at Amaravathi hotel at Gudur. Since I lost time searching my route back I proceeded. Stopped at NH5 which is located at the Tangtur tool booth.

Route Taken: Bangalore --> Kolar --> Chittoor --> Tirupati --> Venkatagiri --> Gudur --> Nellore --> Ongole --> Guntur --> Vijayawada

(Avoid Venkatagiri route. Speed breakers and cattle can mess up everything)

While coming back the vehicle was loaded to it brim with people and luggage. Must have been an ideal advertisement for Hyundai company. Started at 10:30 AM at Vijayawada. Stopped to buy mangoes around Ongole.

Since we were not happy with the highway food joints we entered Nellore city. Had lunch at Komala Vilas. Very good South Indian Veg. meals.

Got back to the highway. Before reaching Chittoor stopped at CCD which was also our refuel stop.

Stopped one last time at The Bans, Chittoor (could be avoided if you are vegetarian and have folks who insist veg. only hotels).

Reached BTM at 5 minutes to 12.

Route taken: Vijayawada --> Guntur --> Ongole --> Nellore --> Gudur --> Naidupeta --> Tirupati --> Chittoor --> Kolar --> Bangalore

Kolar to Naidupeta tests your patience. Especially the contrasting roads before and after the stretch.

Needless to say information on this portal was so important for a smooth ride.
kayvwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 10:51   #537
Distinguished - BHPian

I will be driving down alone from Hyderabad to Bhubaneswar on June 1 or 2nd. Any specific tips and latest updates on roads conditions, routes to follow and things to look out for?

I have driven from Bhubaneswar to Hyderabad twice in the past.
Old 31st May 2017, 11:26   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I will be driving down alone from Hyderabad to Bhubaneswar on June 1 or 2nd. Any specific tips and latest updates on roads conditions, routes to follow and things to look out for?

I have driven from Bhubaneswar to Hyderabad twice in the past.
Anyone has any recent feedback on the above roads? I will be driving during the night and hence, was looking for some pointers rather than facing surprises tomorrow.

The intended route is Hyderabad -> Vijaywada -> Rajamundry -> Vizag -> Bhubaneswar
Old 31st May 2017, 11:49   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

The intended route is Hyderabad -> Vijaywada -> Rajamundry -> Vizag -> Bhubaneswar

I drove the same route, albeit in reverse order while driving from Himachal Pradesh to Hyderabad via New Delhi-UP-Bihar-Jharkhand-WB.

My observations are :-

1. The roads are pretty smooth and if you encounter a pothole, consider it a rare case.

2. You can cruise along the entire route without worrying about traffic;except the Orrisa-AP border, there is hardly any traffic jam.

3. There are very few places to stop along the route for break or tea, refreshments. I found the route to be isolated from habitation.

4. The landscape is Brown rather than Green, but if you are planning to drive during night, it should not matter much.

5. Due to lack of populous areas around and the roads passing right through rural India, pray to god that you don't land up in any emergency, not even a puncture. Due to inclement weather conditions and roads being a combination of tar and concrete, possibility of tyres heating up will remain(Even if you are driving during night). So, please consider filling Nitrogen in the tyres.

6. The road from Hyderabad to Rajahmundry is very good tar road with not too much of traffic. This stretch has habitation around it.

7. Rajahmundry to Bhuwneshwar is a part of Golden Quadrilateral. A major portion of this stretch is arrow straight. So, please be well rested to avoid dozing off. The smooth & empty roads will give you the sheer joy of driving.
cruising_rapid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 12:14   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising_rapid View Post
My observations are :-

1. The roads are pretty smooth and if you encounter a pothole, consider it a rare case.

2. You can cruise along the entire route without worrying about traffic;except the Orrisa-AP border, there is hardly any traffic jam.

3. There are very few places to stop along the route for break or tea, refreshments. I found the route to be isolated from habitation.

4. The landscape is Brown rather than Green, but if you are planning to drive during night, it should not matter much.

5. Due to lack of populous areas around and the roads passing right through rural India, pray to god that you don't land up in any emergency, not even a puncture. Due to inclement weather conditions and roads being a combination of tar and concrete, possibility of tyres heating up will remain(Even if you are driving during night). So, please consider filling Nitrogen in the tyres.

6. The road from Hyderabad to Rajahmundry is very good tar road with not too much of traffic. This stretch has habitation around it.

7. Rajahmundry to Bhuwneshwar is a part of Golden Quadrilateral. A major portion of this stretch is arrow straight. So, please be well rested to avoid dozing off. The smooth & empty roads will give you the sheer joy of driving.
Thanks for your inputs. I have driven on this route (Bhubaneswar->Hyderabad) twice, in Oct 2015 and in Oct 2016. I faced a lot of traffic while crossing Vizag and Vijaywada, on both occasions and took me much more than an hour to cross each of these cities. Rest of the road was very good with low traffic intensity. I am hoping the onward journey will be similar if not better.

I will make sure to carry sufficient food and water to last me at least half a day. I already have nitrogen filled in my tyres @32psi, 1 point less than the recommended. I plan to cover some significant distance during evening/night (till body supports) to avoid hot concrete roads. During peak sun hours, I will for frequent breaks to let the engine/tyres to cool down.

Last edited by ashis89 : 31st May 2017 at 12:16.

Most Viewed