Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2016, 17:29   #466
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK-MoJo View Post
I already travelled Via Tirupati on end of July, will be travelling the same route during Vijayadasami vacation time.
Most of the Toll are enabled with Fast Tag in this route except one or two.
Hope by now all are functional.
Roads are quiet better, except the single Road till Tirupati-Kadapa junction.
Chennai-Vijaywada Highway is good with few diversions.

Between Vijayawada and Eluru will see more Traffic after that its nominal and Roads also becomes better.

In return I came by Hyderabad as i need to visit some relatives there.
Hi PMK-MoJo - how does this Fast Tag thing works? Am a novice and never used it earlier. So some inputs will help. Also, any further update if all tolls on this route are fast tag enabled?
Old 13th September 2016, 19:41   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingWheels View Post
Hi all - please share any updates you might have on the relaying of Golden Quadrilateral between Balasore and Kharagpur. Last I took this route in Jan 2015, it was in bad shape and was under construction with lots of diversions. Any update on whether it has been opened on both sides?
Also do share any updates on whether the recent monsoons have damaged any part of NH 5 from Nellore, AP to Vizag, AP. Most sections around Rajahmundry were uneven with minor potholes. Also last time on this route, 6 laning was under progress in most parts. Do share inputs on whether that has been completed.
Planning another trip around December, and wanted to take a call basis the road conditions.
Cheers,
RollingWheels
@RollingWheels
1. Balasore-Kharagpur stretch is done up well now. I dont think you will have any issues at all. Have recently travelled twice last month. Its a breeze.
2. Just travelled on the Vizag-Rjy-Vja-Kavali stretch. Its good all round except for some stretches near Ongole which is bumpy. You may just have to slow down to 60kmph to drive comfortably. Vja to Ongole 6 laning is completed.
Warm Regards.
Unavowed_X9

Last edited by Unavowed_X9 : 13th September 2016 at 19:46.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 22:38   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
2. Just travelled on the Vizag-Rjy-Vja-Kavali stretch. Its good all round except for some stretches near Ongole which is bumpy. You may just have to slow down to 60kmph to drive comfortably. Vja to Ongole 6 laning is completed.
Warm Regards.
Unavowed_X9
Dear Sir

Regarding traversing RJY, is this route advisable ?
https://goo.gl/maps/a1nUpPFW1Yv

The oft suggested 4th bridge over Godavari route is frustrating to negotiate.
Old 13th September 2016, 22:50   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post
Dear Sir

Regarding traversing RJY, is this route advisable ?
https://goo.gl/maps/a1nUpPFW1Yv

The oft suggested 4th bridge over Godavari route is frustrating to negotiate.
No. I will not recommend that route. I took it just 10 days back, and it is a dividerless road running along the canal. Though the distance may be less, the time taken is more. And while on a long drive, it can be frustrating having to brake all of a sudden and looking out for jokers without traffic sense parading in front of your vehicle with scant regard to their own lives under the impression that its our job to ensure their safety.
Please continue on the NH and Rjy will pass in no time.
Warm regards.
Unavowed_X9
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 23:05   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
No. I will not recommend that route. I took it just 10 days back, and it is a dividerless road running along the canal. Though the distance may be less, the time taken is more. And while on a long drive, it can be frustrating having to brake all of a sudden and looking out for jokers without traffic sense parading in front of your vehicle with scant regard to their own lives under the impression that its our job to ensure their safety.
Please continue on the NH and Rjy will pass in no time.
Warm regards.
Unavowed_X9
Dear Sir
Thanks for the quick reply. After suffering twice via the 4th bridge route in last 6 months, I agree with you that NH is a better option. But just needed a confirmation on that midway route. Based on your opinion that is ruled out for a forthcoming drive. We shall stick to NH.
Thanks again and warm regards.
Old 13th September 2016, 23:19   #471
BHPian

There are 2 diversions to avoid Vizag, skirting the city from either side.
1. While heading North, take a right (head East) before the Airport towards the Port and proceed along the beach road upto the Kailasagiri or even further if u feel like, at the same time enjoying the beautiful and refreshing beach view.
2. Heading North, take a left (head West) from NAD Jn and proceed on Simhachalam Rd to finally join NH nearby the Stadium.
Warm Regards.
Unavowed_X9
Old 14th September 2016, 10:59   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingWheels View Post
Hi PMK-MoJo - how does this Fast Tag thing works? Am a novice and never used it earlier. So some inputs will help. Also, any further update if all tolls on this route are fast tag enabled?
Expect Couple of Tolls till Vizag all are enabled with Fast Tag.
In most of the TOlls, fastag lanes are having Barricades with a security guard, when you reach the lane they will check for Tag and allow you to Pass through. After VIjayawada most of the TOlls have Manual readers so you need to tell them that you have Fastag, they will come and scan it manually.

I am planning to travel on 1-OCT in this route again , I will post the latest update after that.
PMK-MoJo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 11:45   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to travel on 1-OCT in this route again , I will post the latest update after that.
I'm planning to do a Bangalore-Kolkata drive via Tirupati starting Sep 29. Any information on the hotels you've stayed en-route will be helpful.
Old 14th September 2016, 12:52   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I'm planning to do a Bangalore-Kolkata drive via Tirupati starting Sep 29. Any information on the hotels you've stayed en-route will be helpful.
Most of the time i used to start in the evening and used to take break in Tirupati- Fortune Grand Ridge as it come beside the highway.
If you are starting early in the day, vijayawada will probably the good place to take night halt but hotels are little expensive.
If you can make it till rajahmundry then Hotel Shelton is nice and easily approachable from NH.
PMK-MoJo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 05:41   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrchowdary View Post
Traveled during first week of August while coming from Eluru to Hyderabad and remember seeing boards at few places mostly in Telugu. Few videos are available in YouTube (search text:'Vijayawada Inner Ring Road-') showing the road.

Since you will be crossing Vijayawada around dawn, you can even go through the city.

Quote:
I already travelled Via Tirupati on end of July, will be travelling the same route during Vijayadasami vacation time.
Most of the Toll are enabled with Fast Tag in this route except one or two.
Hope by now all are functional.
Roads are quiet better, except the single Road till Tirupati-Kadapa junction.
Chennai-Vijaywada Highway is good with few diversions.

Between Vijayawada and Eluru will see more Traffic after that its nominal and Roads also becomes better.

In return I came by Hyderabad as i need to visit some relatives there.
Okay back from an awesome trip. The route taken was Bangalore -> Hyderabad -> Vijayawada -> Vizag.

Vijayawada inner ring road is God Sent. By passed the town in 20 mins flat, both while going to Vizag when I crossed it at around mid night and returning around 9:30am. There are huge boards indicating diversion. However, few more boards in between would have been better and in multiple languages.

The roads overall were much better than what I had the last time. Bangalore - Hyderabad route has plenty of 24Hr petrol pumps and dhabas. So if travelling with family and kids, I would strongly recommend this route.

Thank You again for the suggestions on the inner ring road. Vijayawada bypass saved a good hour and a half this time.

MaSh
mashmash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 11:43   #476
BHPian

Hi Guys!

I need to drive down from Bhubaneshwar to Bangalore next week. Need help with couple of things:

1. Which one is the best route: Bhubneshwar>>Vizag>>Hyderabad>>Bangalore or Bhubaneshwar>>Vizag>>Guntur>>Tirupati>>Bangalore?

2. Where do you suggest we take the night halt. Is Bhubaneshwar>Tirupati doable in one go if we start by 4am from BBH? How about Hyderabad for a night halt in case we take that route?

Planning to start on 6th Morning and need to reach Bangalore by 7th night. Any major things we need to take care. Will be two guys taking turns driving a Jetta.

Edit: sdp1975 added an important point below. Did the recent rains affect this route in anyway?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Vinay

Last edited by vinayrathore : 27th September 2016 at 11:59.
Old 27th September 2016, 11:48   #477
Senior - BHPian

There have been heavy rains and flooding in parts of Telengana and AP. Those traveling on this route should keep an eye on the news before travel.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 12:39   #478
BHPian

The best route: Bbsr. Vizag. Vijayawada. Guntur. Tirupati. Bangalore.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 13:35   #479
BHPian

According to me Vijayawada/Guntur will be ideal place for over night break. You can reach Bangalore by ~3 PM via Tirupati, if you can start 5 AM next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Did the recent rains affect this route in anyway?
Vizag-Vijayawada-Nellore-Tirupati route is not effected much with recent rains. Not sure about the Hyderabad region/route.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by hillsnrains : 27th September 2016 at 13:37.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 14:00   #480
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore-Tirupati-Kolkata road updates :

Did a Bangalore-Kolkata trip starting Sep 29 with stopovers at Nellore,Srikakulam and Puri.

1) KR Puram - Mulbagal is 4 laned. Mulbagal to Naidupeta is mostly 2 laned and in good shape . I started at noon from Bangalore and found moderate to heavy traffic after Mulbagal. There are 2 level crossings and the first one had over a km of queue.

2) Naidupeta - Nellore - 4 laned and excellent.

3) Nellore - Vijayawada - 6 laned. There are 9 diversions where flyovers are in works.

4) Vijayawada-Anakapalli bypass-Srikakulam-Nirakarpur-Puri. Crossed Vijayawada at around 11 am and it took around 40 mins with moderate traffic. Vijayawada-Vizag is patchy with small potholes where the tar has peeled off. Ankapalli bypass - took this late evening and visibility was poor in the rains with heavy truck traffic and oncoming light. There are potholes on this stretch and one needs to be careful esp at night. Srikakulam-Nirakarpur is good 4 laned. Nirakarpur-Puri is a good 2 laned road.

5) Puri-Kolkata : Excellent roads , Puri-Kharagpur 4 laned , 6 laned from Kharagpur to Kolkata. About 5-6 diversions after Cuttack.

Floods have cleared but I did encounter rains in the Vizag-Srikakulam area. Not many places to eat between Nellore-Vijayawada. FASTag was accepted at most toll booths, altough not all have dedicated lanes as of now.

The Jaleshwar and Ichhapuram borders took around 20 mins each to cross. I had to get on the other side of the road to cross through.

We visited lake Chilka at Rambha on the way and it's a nice place to visit. I wasn't too impressed by the Tirupati route and most likely I'll take the Vijayawada route while returning.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 4th October 2016 at 14:03.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks