Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2014, 05:00   #346
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
I am thinking of driving from Bangalore to Bhubaneswar, shortly. In a dilemma, and am trying to decide between Bangalore-Hyderabad-Vijayawada and Bangalore-Tirupati-Vijayawada. I am a sedate driver and seldom exceed 100 kmph even on the best of highways. What would you suggest, based on the current road conditions on these two routes?
When are you traveling? I am planning a drive till Visakhapatnam on 26 Dec. I had done this drive in Jan 2014 and the route taken was via Hyderabad. Really happy with that route. Its comparatively faster and safer I feels since its through out 2 lane highway with a divider in between.

However, here again to check if things have changed and whether any other route is as fast and safe? Suggestions are welcome.

MaSh

Last edited by mashmash : 25th December 2014 at 05:04.
mashmash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 22:25   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
When are you traveling? I am planning a drive till Visakhapatnam on 26 Dec. I had done this drive in Jan 2014 and the route taken was via Hyderabad. Really happy with that route. Its comparatively faster and safer I feels since its through out 2 lane highway with a divider in between.

However, here again to check if things have changed and whether any other route is as fast and safe? Suggestions are welcome.

MaSh
Hello MaSh,

I did Bangalore-Tirupati-Vijayawada on Dec 20. First 100 clicks, till the KA-AP border, is as good as the best that I have driven on. The next 250, or so, till Nayudupeta is a two-lane undivided highway, that could have been better. Actually, a lot better. Add crazy drivers to it and it becomes potent mix. My first sight of NH5 was akin to an oasis in a desert.

The (a) KA-AP border to Nayudupeta, (b) Kolaghat to South Kolkata, were the two most draining stretches during my drive to Kolkata.

I plan to take the Vijayawada-Hyderabad-Bangalore route during my return trip in a week's time.

Good luck with your trip! Have a safe one.
Arka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 23:17   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I plan to take the Vijayawada-Hyderabad-Bangalore route during my return trip in a week's time.
Long detour imo,unless you need to be in Hyd.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 01:59   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Hello MaSh,

I did Bangalore-Tirupati-Vijayawada on Dec 20. First 100 clicks, till the KA-AP border, is as good as the best that I have driven on. The next 250, or so, till Nayudupeta is a two-lane undivided highway, that could have been better. Actually, a lot better. Add crazy drivers to it and it becomes potent mix. My first sight of NH5 was akin to an oasis in a desert.

The (a) KA-AP border to Nayudupeta, (b) Kolaghat to South Kolkata, were the two most draining stretches during my drive to Kolkata.

Good luck with your trip! Have a safe one.
Thank You for the update. That was exactly the case in Jan too which made me opt for the Hyderabad route. I shall take the same route again this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Ranjit, I feel it's worth it.
mashmash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 13:32   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Hello Ranjit,

Like MaSh and Goandude have said in their last posts on this thread, I guess it might be less draining to take the Hyd route. I will know for myself shortly and will post an update on my experience.
Old 26th December 2014, 13:36   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Ranjit,

Like MaSh and Goandude have said in their last posts on this thread, I guess it might be less draining to take the Hyd route. I will know for myself shortly and will post an update on my experience.
Your tentative drive times from VJA to BLR via HYD should be as below:

VJA-HYD : 3hrs

NH9-NH7: 60mins (Take the Outer Ring Road from NH9 to NH7 at SHamshabad )

Shamshabad-Devanahalli Airport Turnoff: 6-6.5hrs
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 12:54   #352
BHPian

I may be travelling to Kodad in Telangana in few days from Bangalore. I wanted to travel by the highlighted route below. Need inputs regarding the road condition and food options en-route. First of all, whether its a good idea to take this route or stick to the route via Hyderabad.

Name:  kodad.bmp
Views: 13119
Size:  641.1 KB
Old 11th February 2015, 13:23   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogee View Post
I may be travelling to Kodad in Telangana in few days from Bangalore. I wanted to travel by the highlighted route below. Need inputs regarding the road condition and food options en-route. First of all, whether its a good idea to take this route or stick to the route via Hyderabad.

The best route would be through Hyderabad ORR - Exit at Pedda Amberpet towards Vijayawada. It takes you just 3 hours from the exit of ORR. You may budget a total of 9 to 10 hours from Bangalore to Kodada.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 15:57   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
The best route would be through Hyderabad ORR - Exit at Pedda Amberpet towards Vijayawada...
Thanks JoseVijay, i also agree that travelling via Hyderabad would be best route in terms of time and road conditions. But my idea is to explore new roads and here the distance is also less by 100 km so just wanted to explore the possibilities of this route via Madanpalle-Kadapa-Miryalaguda if the road condition is fair enough. 2 extra hours of driving time will not be an issue if the road is good.
Old 12th February 2015, 05:33   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks JoseVijay, i also agree that travelling via Hyderabad would be best route in terms of time and road conditions. But my idea is to explore new roads and here the distance is also less by 100 km so just wanted to explore the possibilities of this route via Madanpalle-Kadapa-Miryalaguda if the road condition is fair enough. 2 extra hours of driving time will not be an issue if the road is good.
I remember travelling this route by bus in 2001. But that was from Vijayawada, Narsaroapet, Marakapuram and Kadapa. It took 13 hours for the bus to reach Kadapa from Vijayawada. Back in 2001, the roads were very bad.

Actually speaking, the route you wanted to take is an unusal one, I mean not many dare to take that route as they are not aware of the road conditions. You may try the route and update us though.
Old 12th February 2015, 08:56   #356
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1338762
I must say the route you are planning is shortest (almost straight line), but it may take minimum 3 hrs extra than conventional route like BLR-HYD-Kodad. Travel duration shown by Google maps is very optimistic and roads in AP are not in great shape. Moreover this route passes through many villages and small towns, where you may have to face mobile speed breakers (cattle/sheep). This will reduce your speed significantly and need lot of energy to stay focused.

Coming to your query I have traveled between the following towns/cities
1. BLR-Madanapalle : Still 4 lane work is in progress with some completed patches
2. Markapur-Macherla-Nagarjuna Sagar-Karempudi-Vinukonda : This is having small overlap with your route. Roads around Markapur are mostly two lanes w/o divider and some parts are in bad shape.

I will drive from Bangalore to Ongole in every 3-4 months. Every time I will think of taking the route you are planning, but to spend more time at home we always differ the route via Kadapa and choose the fastest route i.e Via Tirupati.

Last edited by hillsnrains : 12th February 2015 at 09:01. Reason: improve readability
hillsnrains is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 11:58   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
...You may try the route and update us though.
If i dare to take that route, I will definitely update it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Coming to your query I have traveled between the following towns/cities
1. BLR-Madanapalle : Still 4 lane work is in progress with some completed patches
2. Markapur-Macherla-Nagarjuna Sagar-Karempudi-Vinukonda : This is having small overlap with your route. Roads around Markapur are mostly two lanes w/o divider and some parts are in bad shape.
Thanks hillsnrains, I expect the route upto kadapa to be in good condition but not sure about the further route. Also my worries are that i'm travelling with family including small kids. So the route need to be safe and have few good food options. So unless someone gives updates on the road conditions, I may not opt for this route.
Old 13th February 2015, 12:07   #358
BHPian

Quote:
If i dare to take that route, I will definitely update it here.

Thanks hillsnrains, I expect the route upto kadapa to be in good condition but not sure about the further route. Also my worries are that i'm travelling with family including small kids. So the route need to be safe and have few good food options. So unless someone gives updates on the road conditions, I may not opt for this route.

Since you are travelling with kids, why don't you take the Hyderabad ORR - Vijayawada highway which is very safe and good? You can as well have lunch in "7" at Suyapet. Kodada is very near to Suryapet.
Old 13th February 2015, 13:19   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Also my worries are that i'm travelling with family including small kids. So the route need to be safe and have few good food options. So unless someone gives updates on the road conditions, I may not opt for this route.
The major towns/cities you pass through are Madanapalle, Kadapa, Markapur, Macherla and Miryalaguda. On a lighter note all the above places starts with letter “M”
Out of the above list only Kadapa is district head quarter and all other places are Mandal/Taluka head quarters. So do not expect fancy restaurants but you will get decent quality Andhra food. The only issue is to identify the best hotel with toilets in those towns, which can be found by inquiring locally.
I do not see any issues with safety on this route. In fact people from small villages and towns are more helpful than those from metro cities, because they treat us as guests.

I will take this route for sure during my next trip
Old 18th February 2015, 13:31   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
I will take this route for sure during my next trip
Thanks hillsnrains, Although I'm not sure what to expect on this route, I'm going ahead and taking this route this friday. I'll update about the road conditions so that you can decide on taking this route for your next trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks