Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2023, 21:26   #961
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Thanks @ashis89, will most probably do that!

Google Maps also suggests Vijayawada-Reningavaram-Kanigiri-Kadapa-Kadiri route that hits the hyderabad to bangalore Highway. Away from the coast too. Any thoughts on that? Thanks!
Every time I plan to take this route during my numerous trips, the lower than usual average speed of the route dissuades me. The average speed (especially during off hours) is an indication for me of the road conditions. Like Narayanan sir said, you would want to travel in a road devoid of trees/forest and far away from the coast, during cyclone landfall. Vijayawada - Hyderabad- Bangalore is safer from that point of view.

Last edited by ashis89 : 3rd December 2023 at 21:46.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 22:11   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @ashis89, will most probably do that!

Google Maps also suggests Vijayawada-Reningavaram-Kanigiri-Kadapa-Kadiri route that hits the hyderabad to bangalore Highway. Away from the coast too. Any thoughts on that? Thanks!
During a drive from Bangalore to Vizag in March of this year, I had taken this route. I ended up on this route, due to my unfamiliarity with the route.

Mostly smooth two-lane roads, and lesser traffic as compared to the main highway, and also managed to avoid the road construction, post Tirupati.
Aiel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 10:31   #963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Away from the coast too. Any thoughts on that? Thanks!
Safest bet would be to go all the way to Hyderabad and get on the Bangalore highway. Longer but faster, and most importantly, safer.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 10:48   #964
Distinguished - BHPian

If its not late, till yesterday the Vijayawada - Nellore - Kalahasthi - Tirupathi - Chitoor route was all fine. A friend did that yesterday, reaching Bangalore late in night on 3-Dec.

However, another friend who is currently doing this route after a night half at Nellore is finding difficulty at multiple locations due to water logging and slow moving traffic.

No road closures as such, but in general getting stuck at multiple locations due to water logging which can be driven through. He is just reaching Tirupati now, so may be able to get through without much issues past this. However, would suggest anyone who is planning to avoid taking this route for next few days and instead take Hyderabad route.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 11:11   #965
BHPian

Just drove to Vijayawada from Hyderabad.

Vijayawada is under continuous rainfall and the scenario seems same down south throughout the coast.

For people driving to Bengaluru, it is advisable to take the NH 65 towards Hyderabad and take the ORR- Safer considering this weather.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 18:55   #966
BHPian

Thanks, each and every one of you who suggested the Hyderabad route!

Took that route today from Vijayawada at 6am, and it was super smooth. Did the complete journey via Hyderabad in around 12 hours to home, with a breakfast and lunch stop. It was faster than the Nellore-Tirupati route, and I think the Hyderabad route makes sense even without the cyclone factor. Thanks again!
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 19:33   #967
BHPian

I'm planning to do this route starting 16th of December. Has the rains done any damage to the highway or it is in good condition.
Interesting note on the Vijaywada-HYD-BLR being done in almost equal timing, well that's like a difference of 200 kms between the two different routes. Gmaps show a difference of over 3 hours though.
Last time I drove to Bhubaneswar from Bangalore, I took the Tirupati-Naidupet-VZA route and the time taken was close to 12 hours from Bangalore to VZA, with 1 lunch break and a couple of bio breaks.
Suggestions please.
Old 10th December 2023, 17:21   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_Redstreak View Post
Last time I drove to Bhubaneswar from Bangalore, I took the Tirupati-Naidupet-VZA route and the time taken was close to 12 hours from Bangalore to VZA, with 1 lunch break and a couple of bio breaks.
Suggestions please.
I'm also planning to do a Bhubaneswar to Kochi travel after 2 weeks. Have always taken the above route Nellore-naidupet-tirupati-vellore. Any update on this route condition would be really helpful. Since I have to reach Kochi, it really takes a lot more time if I take the Hyderabad route

Last edited by ampere : 10th December 2023 at 18:22. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 10th December 2023, 18:46   #969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_Redstreak View Post
I'm planning to do this route starting 16th of December. Has the rains done any damage to the highway or it is in good condition.
Interesting note on the Vijaywada-HYD-BLR being done in almost equal timing, well that's like a difference of 200 kms between the two different routes. Gmaps show a difference of over 3 hours though.
Suggestions please.
Naidupet - Tirupati road expansion work is going on and hence not recommended for now. The suggested route is Vijayawada - Nellore - Gudur - Yerpadu - Tirupati - Bangalore. It takes me 10-11 hours each time, including 1-1.5 hrs of breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chembilath View Post
I'm also planning to do a Bhubaneswar to Kochi travel after 2 weeks. Have always taken the above route Nellore-naidupet-tirupati-vellore. Any update on this route condition would be really helpful. Since I have to reach Kochi, it really takes a lot more time if I take the Hyderabad route
You can avoid Naidupet - Tirupati. The best route is Vijayawada - Nellore - Gudur - Yerpadu - Tirupati - Vellore. It is 20 odd kms shorter and Google Maps also happens to suggest this route.

Last edited by ashis89 : 10th December 2023 at 18:47.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 07:05   #970
BHPian

Kind folks,

Driving from Bengaluru to Siliguri this week in Thar. Thinking of night halts this way: a) Vijayawada b) Barkul c) Durgapur d) Siliguri

1. Am I being conservative on day 1 ? Should I push to Rajahmundry instead?
2. Could you please suggest clean, hygienic restaurants on the highway for lunch near Nellore or Ongole ?
3. Likewise, could you suggest a place for lunch between Vijayawada and Barkul on the highway, given that we will now not need to touch Vizag ?

Last edited by airguitar : 11th December 2023 at 07:06.
Old 11th December 2023, 10:17   #971
BHPian

Has anyone driven on this route recently. How is the fog situation. During January of this year when I had travelled, I started at around 4 am but at around 5-5.30 am there was heavy fog, nothing beyond a few metres was visible, therefore this time around I am considering a 6 am start.
Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Old 11th December 2023, 10:27   #972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Kind folks,

Driving from Bengaluru to Siliguri this week in Thar. Thinking of night halts this way: a) Vijayawada b) Barkul c) Durgapur d) Siliguri

Rajahmundry is doable but can be tiring as well depending on how comfortable you are spending 14-15 hours in the Thar. I would suggest you book hotels at both places (with full cancellation or pay later option) and take a call closer to Vijayawada if you are comfortable enough to continue for another 2.5 hours in heavy traffic.

Advantage of Rajahmundry is a less taxing Day 2 after a long day 1.

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th December 2023 at 10:28.
Old 11th December 2023, 11:34   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Kind folks,

Driving from Bengaluru to Siliguri this week in Thar.

2. Could you please suggest clean, hygienic restaurants on the highway for lunch near Nellore or Ongole ?
3. Likewise, could you suggest a place for lunch between Vijayawada and Barkul on the highway, given that we will now not need to touch Vizag ?
1. If you are an experienced driver, you can reach Rajahmundry without any issue as the road after Vijayawada significantly improves and Rajahmundry can be reached in less than 3 hours. You can take a break at Garuda Food court, which comes after Eluru, almost midway between Vijayawada-Rajahmundry. ( keep an eye out)

2. There is one Skyview Restaurant over Tanguturu Toll before Ongole. It sits on the toll plaza, its USP !

There is "Delhi highway Restaurant" ( veg) before Ongole !

Last edited by poised2drive : 11th December 2023 at 11:50.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 18:36   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Naidupet - Tirupati road expansion work is going on and hence not recommended for now. The suggested route is Vijayawada - Nellore - Gudur - Yerpadu - Tirupati - Bangalore. It takes me 10-11 hours each time, including 1-1.5 hrs of breaks.

You can avoid Naidupet - Tirupati. The best route is Vijayawada - Nellore - Gudur - Yerpadu - Tirupati - Vellore. It is 20 odd kms shorter and Google Maps also happens to suggest this route.
Thanks for this. Also how is the road condition if I take the Bangalore - Kurnool - Vijayawada or Bangalore - Dhone - Markapur - Vijayawada? Will it be as fast as the Tirupati route?

Last edited by airguitar : 11th December 2023 at 18:39.
Old 11th December 2023, 19:01   #975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this. Also how is the road condition if I take the Bangalore - Kurnool - Vijayawada or Bangalore - Dhone - Markapur - Vijayawada? Will it be as fast as the Tirupati route?
Tirupati is the fastest even though it is longer than the Kurnool or Dhone route. To give you an idea, out of 650+ kms going via Tirupati Gudur route, ~600 kms are fast 4/6 lane roads.

For other options, refer to the discussion post #959 onwards above.

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th December 2023 at 19:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks