Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2022, 17:02   #901
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game_of_Roads View Post
alternative to the Anakapalle byepass ?
is the bad stretch after Anakapalle or even before, i.e. elamanchili
The alternative to bypass is to take the city. If you can time the passage well (like in the afternoon between office rush) then the old highway through city might be ok.

While returning to BLR last month I took this route: https://goo.gl/maps/pbjiet3uisTi6MdQ8. It also bypasses the toll. Only thing is, there are some stretches through forest/ port areas, so they might be avoidable after sunset.

Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries-screenshot-20221111-17.08.59.png

I was staying in the city, and I can recommend it to anyone staying near the beach or basically east of the old highway.

Bad stretch is only after Anakapalle. But traffic builds up right after Tuni on a bad day.

Last edited by mayukh42 : 11th November 2022 at 17:13.
mayukh42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 17:10   #902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm traveling Bengaluru-Kolkata tomorrow, wanted to know what is the suggested alternative to the Anakapalle byepass ?

Also, is the bad stretch after Anakapalle or even before, i.e. elamanchili
I can tell you only upto Vizag, also for benefit of others. There are a total of 3 bad stretches.

1. Renigunta to Naidupeta: Due to construction of new highway, the surface of old road is not maintained well, still manageable. If you keep avg speed of less than 50kmph, you could avoid many potholes.

2. Kovvur - Rajahmundry bypass connecting old NH16 road: This is worse road(red part) with large potholes and heavy traffic at toll gate, while returning we avoided the red part and came by the green part which involves going through the city but better road and can avoid toll too, see the traffic on red part.
Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries-screenshot_20221111165021_maps.jpg

3. Anakapalle - Anandapuram(Vizag bypass): This bypass is constructed to avoid Vizag city traffic, as of now it is only halfway completed, very bad roads coupled with huge traffic jams(and two toll charges), I prefer going through the vizag city, it may save you half an hour and no worries about the car even though you have to cross some 25 traffic signals.

The elamanchili to Anakapalle road is fine.There are no alternatives, either use uncompleted bypass or cross 25 traffic signals. Would suggest to cross vizag city after 9pm if possible.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 11th November 2022 at 17:20.
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 18:54   #903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
2. Kovvur - Rajahmundry bypass connecting old NH16 road: This is worse road(red part) with large potholes and heavy traffic at toll gate, while returning we avoided the red part and came by the green part which involves going through the city but better road and can avoid toll too, see the traffic on red part.
Attachment 2378207

Is this stretch around the toll bad again? It has been my preferred route the past three times I travelled.

I did this stretch twice this year (from Vizag towards Vijayawada) in Feb and again, in June. The road was in good shape although the black top was uneven. Once there was a 5-7 min wait at the toll, the second time it was less than 2 mins (crossed around 6PM). Not sure if it has changed in the past 5 months.

PS: In stark contrast, my experience in 2021 were horrible.

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th November 2022 at 18:55.
Old 11th November 2022, 20:01   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Is this stretch around the toll bad again? It has been my preferred route the past three times I traveled.
We had a traffic jam at the toll gate for 30 mins, they were accepting FASTag, but for some reason there was a huge traffic jam. The bridge was ok, but after the bridge it was very bad until we merged into old NH16. While returning it was 6:30am, I went through the city and it was far better.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd November 2022 at 20:46. Reason: Quote trimmed.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 20:38   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We had a traffic jam at the toll gate for 30 mins, they were accepting fastag, but for some reason there was a huge traffic jam. The bridge was ok, but after the bridge it was very bad until we merged into old NH16. While returning it was 6:30am, I went through the city and it was far better.
That's my exact experience a year ago, Nov 2021. When did you travel?
Old 13th November 2022, 01:22   #906

I did travel in September and the road after Kovurru toll wasn't that bad. I was crossing at 6 pm and given the traffic it was showing on city, toll road was a better option for me.

Also the Vizag bypass has become vehicle breaker. The potholes have become crater. Definitely should be avoided right now until patching is done.
champ2108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 13:41   #907
BHPian

I recently did a round trip from Hyderabad to Berhampur (Odisha) in 1st week of November, 2022.
In terms of road conditions, I would suggest avoiding Vizag bypass through Anakapalle. Going through bypass is a nightmare. There are huge craters and truck traffic can be heavy. If necessary to take this route, better to tackle it during day time rather than at night.

The new stretch of NH-16 (which passes through Kovvur and uses the fourth bridge to cross Godavari) is much better and shorter (approx. 35 kms) than the route through Ravulapalem. We paid using fast-tag at Kovvur toll booth in both the directions. There was no traffic build up and we crossed this toll plaza at around lunch time in both directions. Road after toll plaza has been patched although it is uneven. We can maintain decent speeds though on this stretch. While returning could see some road works happening on the bridge. Not sure if it is a minor patch work or they are laying a new layer of tar.

Overall the road conditions are great for a road trip.
maximus_fiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 14:21   #908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We had a traffic jam at the toll gate for 30 mins, they were accepting FASTag, but for some reason there was a huge traffic jam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ2108 View Post
I did travel in September and the road after Kovurru toll wasn't that bad. I was crossing at 6 pm and given the traffic it was showing on city, toll road was a better option for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_fiat View Post
I recently did a round trip from Hyderabad to Berhampur (Odisha) in 1st week of November, 2022.
Per the recent experiences, the Kovvur route continue to be the preferred one like I had shared earlier. Wait time at toll booth can be a bit of a luck but road conditions are good.

I hope the Anakapelle bypass would be patch up soon (it was in decent shape for me in until June this year). Crossing Vizag city traffic and it's 'n' no.of traffic signals is frustrating.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd November 2022 at 20:47. Reason: Quotes trimmed.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 15:02   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
That's my exact experience a year ago, Nov 2021. When did you travel?
We went on 25th Sept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_fiat View Post
The new stretch of NH-16 (which passes through Kovvur and uses the fourth bridge to cross Godavari) is much better and shorter (approx. 35 kms) than the route through Ravulapalem.
Going through Ravulapalem is waste of time, while returning we came by the 'Road cum Railway' bridge which needs us to go through the Rajahmundry city. My perspective may be different, but I felt the road after crossing the 4th bridge to be very bad.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 13th November 2022 at 15:07.
Old 13th November 2022, 20:23   #910
BHPian

Quote:
while returning we came by the 'Road cum Railway' bridge which needs us to go through the Rajahmundry city.
Was there any restrictions like one-way for this bridge? i.e. can we use it both ways?

Quote:
I felt the road after crossing the 4th bridge to be very bad.
Indeed, we crossed the 4th bridge a week before that on Sep 18, and the Bridge-Rajahmundry bypass section was so bad (not that it cannot be negotiated) that the Kovvuru toll felt like a scam (Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries).

Perhaps the great quality of roads from Eluru to Kovvuru spoilt us in terms of expectations.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 20:43   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
Was there any restrictions like one-way for this bridge? i.e. can we use it both ways?
I saw traffic both ways.

Yes, the road can be negotiated, in the sense that you need not worry about touching the bottom of the car.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd November 2022 at 20:47. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 14th November 2022, 12:08   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm traveling Bengaluru-Kolkata tomorrow, wanted to know what is the suggested alternative to the Anakapalle byepass ?

Also, is the bad stretch after Anakapalle or even before, i.e. elamanchili
The bad stretch is after Anakapalle when you take the Vizag bypass, close to Sabbavaram. If you are near Anakapalle between 11 am to 3 pm, it might be better to avoid the bypass and instead go via Vizag city--though there will be many traffic signals, you will avoid rush hour. It will take you around 2 hours to reach Anandapuram Jn, where the bypass meets the highway.

Last edited by vnabhi : 14th November 2022 at 12:09.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 12:16   #913

Can someone please advise on a good hotel in Vizag with room rates below 3000/- per day?. I plan to stay for two nights in Vizag.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd November 2022 at 20:48. Reason: Typo fixed.
Old 20th November 2022, 12:21   #914

Can some one in Puri advise on how good are the hotel of OTDC in Puri. I intend to stay in Puri for about 3 to 4 days and go around. Thanks in advance.
Old 20th November 2022, 18:29   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6957663004 View Post
Can someone please advise on a good hotel in Vizag with room rates below 3000/- per day? I plan to stay for two nights in Vizag.
You can try Mantris hotel, I never needed to stay in a hotel in Vizag, the only one time I stayed was in this decent hotel, it's in the centre of city, not far from the beach, shopping places and restaurants. It costs less than 3000₹ on MMT when I just checked.

https://mantrishotel.com/

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd November 2022 at 20:48. Reason: S[acing.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks