Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2022, 11:39   #181
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
What are some recommended pitstops in the route? Ones with clean washrooms being a priority.
I found none (I'm finicky about cleanliness in washrooms.)

There's a Coffee Day Outlet just outside Vizag which was the only okay place I found. C/O HPCL, Pandmanaba Fuel Station Survey No. 274/1, NH16, Tetagunta, Andhra Pradesh 533406 I didn't see any other Cafe Coffee Day outlet on NH-16 between Bangalore and Bhubaneswar when I did this stretch about 2 months ago.

Last edited by A_Basu : 10th August 2022 at 11:59.
A_Basu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:22   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Basu View Post
I found none (I'm finicky about cleanliness in washrooms.)
There's a Coffee Day Outlet just outside Vizag which was the only okay place I found. C/O HPCL, Pandmanaba Fuel Station Survey No. 274/1, NH16, Tetagunta, Andhra Pradesh 533406 I didn't see any other Cafe Coffee Day outlet on NH-16 between Bangalore and Bhubaneswar when I did this stretch about 2 months ago.
Thanks for this information.
Per Google Map - there are several restaurants enroute. But most don't carry any pictures and those which do - they don't generate much faith w.r.t. cleanliness (barring few).

Unfortunately, even my next door Tea Stall proudly enlisted his stall as a "Tea Junction" - assuring many amenities which are non-existing. I had to update Google Map rejecting those claims.

We do need some identified pitstops & marked zones (which are barren & one should be aware). I aim to take diligent notes on my trip. 🤞
sarbagna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 12:46   #183
BHPian

Since the day we got our brand new Toyota Innova Crysta ZX AT home, the itch for a long cross-country drive has been there and there can't be anything better to drive home for Pujo.

So we have decided to start off from Bangalore on 27th September and plan to reach Burdwan by 29th September. But there's a catch!

The catch is that my son has his Term Exams ending on 27th September. Wifey would pick him up from school and the earliest we can start off from our home in Whitefield would be 2pm.

Based on this constraint, below is our plan:
  • 27th September: Bangalore to Vijayawada (650kms). Plan is to just take a night halt here.
  • 28th September: Vijayawada to Bhubhaneshwar (750kms). This would be the longest part. I'm hopeful an early start from Vijayawada would allow us to make it to Bhubhaneshwar.
  • 29th September: Bhubhaneshwar to Burdwan (520kms). Need to make it to Burdwan by 6pm!

Does this seem feasible? Or should I consider night driving and just keep Vizag as a stop where we could take a longer break and complete the rest in one go!

Also note, I would be travelling with my family - wife & 2 kids (son - 9years & daughter - 5years).

Last edited by Thumping Soul : 12th September 2022 at 12:48. Reason: more details added.
Old 13th September 2022, 09:05   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
Based on this constraint, below is our plan:
  • 27th September: Bangalore to Vijayawada (650kms). Plan is to just take a night halt here.
  • 28th September: Vijayawada to Bhubhaneshwar (750kms). This would be the longest part. I'm hopeful an early start from Vijayawada would allow us to make it to Bhubhaneshwar.
  • 29th September: Bhubhaneshwar to Burdwan (520kms). Need to make it to Burdwan by 6pm!

Does this seem feasible? Or should I consider night driving and just keep Vizag as a stop where we could take a longer break and complete the rest in one go!
I don't know your driving style, Sir, but after negotiating Whitefield traffic at 2:00 PM (with kids who've just gotten back from school), and then doing 650 km seems a bit ambitious to me even if you average 80 kmph.

If you can stretch the journey to 4 days, my suggestion is:
  • 27 Sep, Blr - Tirupati, night halt (250 km)
  • 28 Sep, Tirupati to Vizag, night halt (760 km, lunch break at Vizag)
  • 29 Sep, Vizag - Bhubaneswar (440 km, very late lunch/early dinner at Bhubaneswar). You wont be able to maintain high speeds once you enter Odisha because of road-widening work.
  • 30 Sep, Bbsr - Burdwan (500 km, and you're home). Again, high speeds are not possible because, besides diversions due to road widening, there are also very-badly constructed speed bumps on these diversions.

Enjoy your Pujo
A_Basu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 12:07   #185
BHPian

Any recent Kolkata - Bangalore/Bhubaneswar - Bangalore updates? Planning a trip in a couple of weeks.
Old 13th September 2022, 16:59   #186
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know your driving style, Sir, but after negotiating Whitefield traffic at 2:00 PM (with kids who've just gotten back from school), and then doing 650 km seems a bit ambitious to me even if you average 80 kmph.

If you can stretch the journey to 4 days, my suggestion is:
  • 27 Sep, Blr - Tirupati, night halt (250 km)
  • 28 Sep, Tirupati to Vizag, night halt (760 km, lunch break at Vizag)
  • 29 Sep, Vizag - Bhubaneswar (440 km, very late lunch/early dinner at Bhubaneswar). You wont be able to maintain high speeds once you enter Odisha because of road-widening work.
  • 30 Sep, Bbsr - Burdwan (500 km, and you're home). Again, high speeds are not possible because, besides diversions due to road widening, there are also very-badly constructed speed bumps on these diversions.

Enjoy your Pujo
Thanks for the advice. Would have typically done it in 3days, with an early start on 28th September and night halts in Rajahmundry & Bhubaneswar. That's what we had done in our previous trips.

But this time around, we have to be home on 29th Sept since some rituals are slated for 30th and not in a position to push it (30th being Panchami).

We have done this drive 4 times in the last two years in our trusted Tata Nexon. And infact this was the driving factor to upgrade to a bigger car! So kids are used to long road trips and thankfully they look forward to such trips.

We can drive extended hours, but typically like to call it a day & take rest for the night. Max we have stretched is on our 2nd Bangalore - Kolkata drive, when we tried doing Bangalore - Vizag in a go and were able to make it to our hotel in Vizag only by 1.30am, even after an early morning start from Bangalore (5am). But that was really tiring and don't want to repeat any such adventure!

Hence looking for a potential stop over for Day 1 (27th September). How about Ongole / Guntur ? Day 2 (28th), I can definitely make it to Brahmapur and Day 3 (29th) to Burdwan. Fingers crossed!
Old 14th September 2022, 15:31   #187
BHPian

Planning to drive to Bhubaneswar in my Jeep Compass AT. There will be 3 occupants - Wife , Kid and myself. I will be the sole driver.

Plan is as below:

23-Sep: 4 AM start from BLR - Destination : Vijaywada (654 KM)
24-Sep : 9 AM start - Destination : Vishakapatnam (362 KM)
25-Sep: 9 AM start - Destination : Bhubaneswar (430 KM)

I need experts guidance on the following questions:

1. Max I have driven in a day is ~700 KMs, based on which the itinerary is drawn. Will doing the route in 2 days, i.e on Day 2 drive from Vijaywada to BBS almost 800KM drive a good option considering that the previous day I would have already driven ~700KMs
2. Recent updates on the road conditions between Tirupati and Naidupeta and Vijaywada and Rajamuhndry.

This will be my first above 1K run, any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

Do I need to stock up AdBlue.
Old 14th September 2022, 22:45   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_Redstreak View Post

Plan is as below:

23-Sep: 4 AM start from BLR - Destination : Vijaywada (654 KM)
24-Sep : 9 AM start - Destination : Vishakapatnam (362 KM)
25-Sep: 9 AM start - Destination : Bhubaneswar (430 KM)

Do I need to stock up AdBlue.
We are embarking on exploring Odisha in our Jeep Compass AT as well , looking forward to it.

We are starting on 24th Sept 00:30 hrs , destination Rajahmundry ( aiming to reach between 13:00 - 14:00 hrs )

Next day , start around 04:00, destination Puri ( aiming to reach by 15:00 hrs ) . After that onwards to Simlipal and other places

We are just missing each other by a day as you are starting on 23rd

Ad blue Stock Up - check your current level , if it around 60% mark, better fill it up , you should be fine , no need to stock up. Repeat the process on return leg.

Last edited by redballons : 14th September 2022 at 22:48.
redballons is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 08:47   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_Redstreak View Post
Planning to drive to Bhubaneswar in my Jeep Compass AT.
Day 1 - Bangalore - Vijayawada shouldn't be a problem.

Day 2 - Vijayawada - Bhubaneswar - Could be done but it will take 14 hrs + so plan to start from Vijayawada early.

Once you finish the trip, please share updates here. I am planning to do Bhubaneswar - Vijayawada soon.
4WheelPilot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 10:06   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redballons View Post

We are starting on 24th Sept 00:30 hrs , destination Rajahmundry
Where do you plan to halt at Rajahmundry? Please update this thread with your impressions of the hotel after the trip. I might need to drive from Bbsr to Blr in late November, and any references for night halts will come in handy
Old 15th September 2022, 20:19   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Where do you plan to halt at Rajahmundry?
We plan to stay at La Hospin Hotel , as it is near to Pushkar Ghat and also we want to watch the Aarti after sunset.

Will share update on it.
redballons is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 18:24   #192
BHPian

Reached Kolkata from BLR yesterday. 2033 kms home to home, and 95% roads were excellent. Here is a brief summary:

BLR-Krishnagiri-Vellore: Nothing to complain. Opted for this instead of Kolar route as it is just 2 kms from my home to Hosur Road.
Pitstop: Sai Sangeet Vanyambadi (their curd rice is pretty good).

Vellore-Katpadi-Chittoor-Tirupati: Was spared Katpadi traffic since I crossed in the afternoon. From Katpadi to AP Border roads are pretty decent (5-6 kms of 2 lane). Once into AP, it is 4 lane till Chittoor bypass, but the concrete slab junctions and unfinished culverts are a mess. One has to be very careful and slow down. But not a major deal breaker. Chittoor-Tirupati is a driver's delight apart from being very scenic.

Tirupati-Naidupeta: 4-laning is in progress, and a slight delay in Srikalahasti apart, it is average. Lots of patches which a car like my Punto does not like and throws more tantrums than necessary.

Naidupeta-Nellore: 4-lane with good surface and regular truck traffic (not too bad), and some constructions near Nellore.
Pitstop: RK Restaurant, opp. Nellore Grand. It has AC hall (a must in AP heat), and methi chenam (paneer) was excellent.

Nellore-Guntur-Vijayawada: Best stretch of the trip with 6 lanes (except about 10-15 kms of city roads at Chilakaluripet). AP highways seem to have marginally higher toll rates than other states, and stretches like this show. Took me only 3.5 hours to Vijaywada (including breaks and a patchy Guntur bypass). Once the Naidupeta stretch completes, BLR-BZA would be a breeze.

Vijayawada-Eluru-Kovvuru: Crossing BZA city limits (which is a large city that badly needs a bypass) brings one to Eluru, from where it is again a driver's delight all the way to within 1 km of Kovvuru Toll Plaza before Godavari. The stretch is testimonial that one does not always need 6 lanes to make fast sections; it is all about designing the exits and bypasses. Just 4 lanes are enough, if one has 6 lane bypasses (a pattern we saw in OD and WB too). This brings down land acquisition costs and has more lanes only where required.

Kovvuru-Godavari-Rajahmundry Bypass: This is a scam of epic proportions. The road surface is non-existent on the bridge and the bypass, and is not acceptable in 2022 any more. Hope the management of this toll plaza and the bridge/ bypass that follows is taken to task. At least they should not charge toll till it is resolved. Worst stretch of the trip and felt cheated by that toll.

Rajahmundry-Vizag: Average 4-lane stretch with moderate traffic, but very scenic with hills and farms around. Vizag bypass is work in progress, but we stayed in the city so had to take on those signals, though I bypassed that city toll.
Pitstop: One Food Court, Annavaram. It had clean restrooms, comparable to the best in South.

Vizag-Ichhapuram: An excellent stretch with 6 lanes till Srikakulam and then 4 lanes but well done with all bypasses and exits just like Eluru-Rajahmundry. Also Srikakulam-Ichhapuram was the most scenic stretch of the trip.

Ichhapuram-Bhubaneswar-Balasore: Odisha highways are work in progress, but even roads in BBSR were not great. Perhaps due to recent floods the situation worsened, but there is no pardon for the bad diversions where 1st gear is the only "safe" option. Only around 80-90 kms in the state were "fast" streches, between Khorda and BBSR and then between Chandikhol and a little before Balasore. Areas around Chilika too were not great with concrete pavement and no asphalt layer on top, and occasional surprises where 2 concrete slabs meet.

Balasore-Belda-Kharagpur: Good stretch but concrete pavement like around Chilika. And Belda bypass is work in progress.

Kharagpur-Kolkata: Regular fast stretch with occasional speed barriers before junctions, and signals (well, WB and Kerala have this in common among others ). Lost 1 hour (no less) at the Andul cross, surrounded by trucks with no escape.
Pitstop: Azad Hind Dhaba, Uluberia (next to BP COCO). Washrooms were avoidable though (a general problem in this part of the country compared to South).

Fuel stops:
  • BP COCO Ulavapadu, AP (before Ongole)
  • IOCL COCO Swagat near Annavaram, AP (opp. side)
  • BP COCO Girisola, OD (just after AP-OD border)
  • BP COCO Uluberia, WB (opp. side)
Diesel is cheapest in Namma Bengaluru (Rs. 88), followed by WB (Rs. 93), OD (Rs. 96), and AP (Rs. 99).

A separate note about Kolkata city roads: They are just one level better than horrible. Uneven patches, big potholes, unruly traffic (suddenly found a minibus inches away from my ORVM), and was saved by divine intervention from T-boning by a cabbie who took a U turn even when the signal was red for him. Particularly shocking to see roads around the seat of state administration (just near 2nd Hooghly bridge) to be in such a bad shape.

In all my life I never found Kolkata roads to be this bad surface (unruly traffic was always there). What a disgrace with the festivals ahead. The Punto really got a bad first impression of the city. The only good thing is that most people follow the signal and stop before the line, and unlike BLR there is no last minute change of plans to take a turn.

Last edited by mayukh42 : 21st September 2022 at 18:48.
mayukh42 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 14:08   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
Reached Kolkata from BLR yesterday. 2033 kms home to home, and 95% roads were excellent.
Congratulations on your safe journey & "Subho Sharodiya"! 🙏

My trip from Kolkata to Bangalore (Electronic City) is in another month. Your trip information is extremely helpful (particularly about the road conditions). I am wondering - how did you break your journey across days?
Old 26th September 2022, 20:10   #194
BHPian

Thanks. Shubho Sharodiya to you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbagna View Post
how did you break your journey across days?
We halted at Vijayawada, Vizag, and Bhubaneswar. Though it would have been possible reduce a day by staying at Brahmapur or Gopalpur, did not want to drive more than 500 kms in OD and WB as it was new turf for me in terms of driving.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 22:01   #195
BHPian

I started my trip on the auspicious day of Mahalaya, started the car with rendition of Mahisasurmardini by Sri Birendra krishna Bhadra, what a thrill ! Will reach Kolkata by 30th (tentative). Currently on my second halt (1st in Rajahmundry, 2nd in Bhubaneswar), plan to stay here and work till friday and then continue to Kolkata.

I drive slow @80 kph most of the time, and in darkness i reduce it further to 70 kph.

Cautionary/Unpleasant areas that i faced:
1. Tirupati - Naidupeta: hazards: bad roads, unruly truck traffic
2. Vizag - too long stretch of road through city and hundreds of traffic lights, and the city seems never ending ! had the bad luck of entering city at 9 am on a weekday
3. Orissa highways: this has two parts - highways and cows
a) Highways: too many diversions and speed breakers where it doesn't make any sense at all
b) Cows: (Or cowzilla) As I have discovered a new creature which lurks in shadows/bushes and pops up at oncoming traffic (Well one can say the same about BLR traffic cops too) - had a close shave due to a cowzilla and an idiotic trucker at 60 kph. Will elaborate If I turn up writing my travelogue. Thanks to TBHPians who have warned this umpteen times in the thread.

Vehicle related:
1. Yokohama Earth-1 are amazing after experiencing the MRF ZV2K stocks in my aspire. At low speeds there is almost no vibration from the road that reaches the driver. Got them changed just before the trip after 6 years and 37K on the stocks.
2. Aspire behaved well planted and its a pleasure to drive it ! Only problem i face is that I get ankle pain due to keeping the accelerator pressed the whole time. So I routinely excercise the ankle at each rest stop. Anyone else has a solution for this?

Halts (currently on 2nd halt):
1. BLR-Rajahmundry: ~14.5 hrs
2. Rajahmundry-BBSR: ~ 11.5 hrs

I am a new member here. Got approved just the day I started my trip !
masterChief007 is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks