Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2022, 22:20   #166
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kolkata : Route Queries

Good evening folks, anyone planning to travel from Bangalore to Kolkata by road next week? I'll be riding down solo starting on Sunday the 5th. Plan is to spend the first night at Vijayawada and then decide on the distances for the next couple of days. Taking it slow, over 3 nights and 4 days. Would be great if someone else is also travelling on the same route.
Old 5th June 2022, 15:26   #167

Bangalore to Kolkata route is pretty fine. Some patches are undergoing repair in NH16 in the Andhra/Odisha stretch, but otherwise it’s cool. Entering Kolkata city is a hassle as you will start facing traffic snarls from Dhulagarh toll.

Here are my memories :

Sidzmail is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 17:32   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Good evening folks, anyone planning to travel from Bangalore to Kolkata by road next week?
I did a solo Bangalore to Bhubaneswar by road last month. Wrote about it here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5317554 (Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries)

The roads are pretty good till Vishakhapatnam. Thereafter, once you enter Odisha, because of road-widening work, you'll have to drive over mud tracks for 2-3 kms for every 10 km of good road. But, even these tracks are okayish and can be done at decent speed.

I don't know beyond Bhubaneswar, though

Happy driving!
Old 6th August 2022, 22:35   #169
BHPian

I am planning (little too ahead of time) for my solo journey from Kolkata to Bangalore. As I understand from this thread, a possible route is:
  1. Day 1: Kolkata to Bhubaneshwar
  2. Day 2: Bhubaneshwar to Rajamundry
  3. Day 3: Rajamundry to Bangalore

Is this the correct approach? Or are there opportunities to refine further? Perhaps towards distributing the distance evenly across the days (as I see Day 3 may be bit longer) or alternate routes may be?

Your advice, feedback (road conditions) and tips - they are all much appreciated. 🙏
Old 7th August 2022, 23:02   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbagna View Post
I am planning (little too ahead of time) for my solo journey from Kolkata to Bangalore. As I understand from this thread, a possible route is:[list=1][*]Day 1: Kolkata to Bhubaneshwar [*]Day 2: Bhubaneshwar to Rajamundry [*]Day 3: Rajamundry to Bangalore
Hello,
I do Chennai - Kolkata regularly. Hence 80% of the route is common. What i usually do, ( i take it easy, no histrionics driving) is
Day 1: Calcutta - BBSR
Day 2: BBSR - Vijaywada
Day 3: Vijaywada - Bangalore (in my case it's Chennai, so it's much faster)

With the new resurfaced Rajahmundry bypass, you can comfortably cover Bhubaneswar to Vijaywada in around 12 hrs. And around the same amount of time from Vijaywada to Bangalore.

Overall road conditions are good to very good. Some roadworks are there on the Orissa stretch of NH-16 but nothing unmanageable. There's a 7km broken patch before Kovvur Toll Plaza, if you are coming from East, where you should exercise caution; but again nothing overwhelming.

Look out for stray cattle on the Barkul / Rambha to Behrampur stretch. Quite a lot these days. And they jump merrily across dividers. Be careful. Stick to the middle lane.

Last edited by arjab : 7th August 2022 at 23:06.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 10:09   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Hello,
What i usually do, ( i take it easy, no histrionics driving) is
Day 1: Calcutta - BBSR
Day 2: BBSR - Vijaywada
Day 3: Vijaywada - Bangalore (in my case it's Chennai, so it's much faster)

With the new resurfaced Rajahmundry bypass, you can comfortably cover Bhubaneswar to Vijaywada in around 12 hrs. And around the same amount of time from Vijaywada to Bangalore.

Overall road conditions are good to very good. Some roadworks are there on the Orissa stretch of NH-16 but nothing unmanageable. There's a 7km broken patch before Kovvur Toll Plaza, if you are coming from East, where you should exercise caution; but again nothing overwhelming.

Look out for stray cattle on the Barkul / Rambha to Behrampur stretch. Quite a lot these days. And they jump merrily across dividers. Be careful. Stick to the middle lane.
Thanks so much! Really appreciate this guidance! 🙏

Couple of additional questions:
  1. Is it advisable to pre-book or "reach & explore" for hotels (for night stay)?
  2. Will you recommend any specific hotels?

My only expectation for night stay is to have a gated parking (so that I could manage a relatively peaceful night).
sarbagna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 10:16   #172
BHPian

Quote:
My only expectation for night stay is to have a gated parking (so that I could manage a relatively peaceful night).
When I did the Bangalore - Bhubaneswar stretch in May this year, I stayed overnight at Red Fox, Vijaywada. https://g.page/red-fox-hotel-vijayawada?share

The parking is opposite the hotel entrance, and gated.
A_Basu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 11:00   #173
BHPian

Quote:
  1. Day 1: Kolkata to Bhubaneshwar
  2. Day 2: Bhubaneshwar to Rajamundry
  3. Day 3: Rajamundry to Bangalore

Is this the correct approach? Or are there opportunities to refine further?
If you start from Kolkata early morning (which you should to avoid traffic till KGP) you'll reach BBSR by afternoon. I'd hence recommend to move ahead and halt somewhere near Bramhapur on Day-1. You should reach Bramhapur by 5PM or so with a Lunch break at BBSR and other comfort stops.

Personally, my approach has always been to start at 4AM from Kol and reach Vizag by 8-9PM ish, repeat the same the next day to reach Bangalore around the same time. That is ofcourse if you're in a hurry. Else doing it over 2 Nights would be recommended to enjoy the drive.

Quote:
  1. Is it advisable to pre-book or "reach & explore" for hotels (for night stay)?
Yes, definitely pre-book.

Quote:
Call the hotel and confirm before booking.

I would recommend these two: I can vouch for them being good resorts with ample secured parking and good food.
1. Swosti Chilika Resort
2. Tampara Resort

Both are very close to the NH.

Last edited by nerd1200 : 8th August 2022 at 11:02.
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 11:07   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much! Really appreciate this guidance! 🙏

MakeMyTrip App gives you good options and rates. I use that mostly. Do call up the hotel, in case you book through the MMT App, as sometimes the App notification to the hotel gets delayed and may not show up at the hotel booking desk. I just send a screenshot to the hotel guys in such cases.

At Bhubaneswar, you can try ITC Welcomhotel. It is practically on the highway as you exit Bhubaneswar, so the proximity to the highway helps for a quick exit.
At Vijaywada, you can try the Taj Gateway hotel on MG Road or D.V. Manor. Neat, clean, hygienic with safe parking.
In case you need to break journey at Vishakhapatnam, Best Western Ramachandra, located just off Gajuwaka Chowk, abutting NH-16, is a decent and clean place to stay. If you want a view of the Vishakhapatnam harbour, ITC Grand Bay is nice.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 11:41   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
At Bhubaneswar, you can try ITC Welcomhotel. It is practically on the highway as you exit Bhubaneswar, so the proximity to the highway helps for a quick exit.
At Vijaywada, you can try the Taj Gateway hotel on MG Road or D.V. Manor. Neat, clean, hygienic with safe parking.
In case you need to break journey at Vishakhapatnam, Best Western Ramachandra, located just off Gajuwaka Chowk, abutting NH-16, is a decent and clean place to stay. If you want a view of the Vishakhapatnam harbour, ITC Grand Bay is nice.
Can't thank you enough! Extremely helpful! 🙏
sarbagna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 11:56   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Personally, my approach has always been to start at 4AM from Kol and reach Vizag by 8-9PM ish, repeat the same the next day to reach Bangalore around the same time. That is ofcourse if you're in a hurry. Else doing it over 2 Nights would be recommended to enjoy the drive.
Wow! Boy, am I glad to be part of this extremely helpful community! 🙏
Appreciate your advice. Very helpful. I do have a few challenges though:
  1. I will probably be driving a fresh car, with hardly few miles on it.
  2. So, I will have to drive steady (low rev, easy pace) - giving her time to settle.
  3. Also, this is going to be my first long drive spanning over a day (I have driven 4-6 hours at stretch, not beyond). So, I am thrilled, but cautious.
  4. While I understand the benefits of leaving early morning, I am kind of an indolent - so this challenge it probably out of my reach! But point noted!

Looking at these aspects, though I will ideally love to cover the distance in minimal time, for this trip at least, I wish to spread it over 3 days. But again - thanks so much for sharing your guidance! Really appreciate!
Old 9th August 2022, 10:21   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! Boy, am I glad to be part of this extremely helpful community! 🙏
Appreciate your advice. Very helpful. I do have a few challenges though:
  1. I will probably be driving a fresh car, with hardly few miles on it.
  2. So, I will have to drive steady (low rev, easy pace) - giving her time to settle.
  3. Also, this is going to be my first long drive spanning over a day (I have driven 4-6 hours at stretch, not beyond). So, I am thrilled, but cautious.
  4. While I understand the benefits of leaving early morning, I am kind of an indolent - so this challenge it probably out of my reach! But point noted!

Looking at these aspects, though I will ideally love to cover the distance in minimal time, for this trip at least, I wish to spread it over 3 days. But again - thanks so much for sharing your guidance! Really appreciate!
Considering this is your first attempt driving long distance over multiple days, i would like suggest couple of things.

Kolkatta - Bhubaneshwar took me 8 hours when i covered in May, left Kolkatta around 7 am and I was in Bhubaneshwar by 3 PM. And I drive steady not crossing 100 KMPH.

With the excitement of a trip, it is very likely that you will wake up early and it makes sense to leave early and cover as much possible on the first day. So I would suggest try to cover beyond Bhubaneshwar and keep the second day short and complete the trip on 3rd day if you need to complete in 3 days.

As per your current plan, day wise breakup looks like 8 Hrs, 12 Hrs, 15 Hrs.
thirugata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 13:21   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirugata View Post
As per your current plan, day wise breakup looks like 8 Hrs, 12 Hrs, 15 Hrs.
Thanks so much! 🙏
Yes - agreed! And this is what I am trying to fine tune now i.e. to distribute the hours across days.

I very much liked your point - "With the excitement of a trip, it is very likely that you will wake up early", this didn't cross my mind earlier. I agree with you & should take advantage of this (as @nerd1200 also suggested earlier). So, will aim at covering maximum ground on Day 1, go relatively easy on Day 2. For Day 3 - I will have to reach destination however late it may be - but I will know that next day will be "rest".
Let me work out the plan & will come back for feedback.
Old 9th August 2022, 14:37   #179
BHPian

What are some recommended pitstops in the route? Ones with clean washrooms being a priority.
Old 9th August 2022, 18:46   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
What are some recommended pitstops in the route? Ones with clean washrooms being a priority.
As it seems, barring few barren stretches there are road side Dhabas, Food Stalls etc. available & decent restaurants after certain distances. Generally standard restaurants will come with "OK" wash rooms.

Some other possible points:
  • Fuel Stations
  • Cafe Coffee Day outlets

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks