Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2017, 18:24   #2116
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I would suggest staying at Salem instead, will be worth the extra distance. Radisson and Grand Estancia are both very good and on the highway itself.
Dharmapuri is a much smaller town and the highway almost completely bypasses the town, so I'm suggesting Salem.
That is a good suggestion indeed. Thanks! I will try to push till Salem for sure. Will monitor the progress on Day 2 and take a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Since its a long drive back, I would suggest stick to 4-lanes. (via Bangalore)

As NPV mentioned, please push till Salem and choose for a stay. It makes much more sense.
It makes sense to stick to bigger and better highways to avoid stress and cover distance faster. Definitely makes sense to push till Salem. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Again, with early start, you can push upto Tumkur on Day 1, and Day 2 can be Tumkur-Kodai.
The reason being, with all youngsters, you may do with lesser breaks. I would suggest, have some hotels shortlisted, and decide based on where you reach.
I know it will make sense to cover the entire distance in 2 days with early start. However, going by my previous record and capacity to drive at a stretch, I am not confident of being able to cover in 2 days! Also my sister is only a relief driver. She drives her alto and she is not at all familiar with driving the celerio (although between the alto and celerio its not a very big difference perhaps but I dont know if it is a good idea for her to drive the celerio on the highway). I am looking forward to take it a bit easy on ourselves and the car, get a good night's sleep at the night halt locations as we have a total 9 day trip at hand.

So as of now the plan goes like this:

Navi Mumbai to Kodaikanal
Day 1 - Navi Mumbai to Hubli
Day 2 - Hubli to Salem
Day 3 - Salem to Kodaikanal

Return journey - Munnar to Navi Mumbai
Day 1 - Munnar to Hosur
Day 2 - Hosur to Belgaum
Day 3 - Belgaum to Navi Mumbai
Old 31st May 2017, 11:42   #2117
BHPian

Hello

Did a recent family trip from chennai to Pune and Mumbai !

I would like to convey my thanks to all the people who have cared to put in so much information into this thread.

Just to add a few pointers :
On day 1 from chennai to Pune we halted at the hotel “Sankam Residency” in Belgaum. Must say a very impressive place.

So impressive that during the return trip we wanted to stay there and planned an afternoon start from Pune; unfortunately they were fully booked and we then had to choose to drive down further till Hubli and stayed in “ clarks inn”.
Honestly I felt that the place though nice ; is rather overpriced for the kind of service they provide.

Once again my sincere thanks to all the people who have contributed to this thread; if anyone needs any other information please do let me know.

thanks
atlantis0965 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 21:06   #2118
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
So impressive that during the return trip we wanted to stay there and planned an afternoon start from Pune; unfortunately they were fully booked and we then had to choose to drive down further till Hubli and stayed in “ clarks inn”.
Almost right behind Sankam, there is Pai Resorts which is also very good. I'd seen this during an earlier trip when I entered the campus thinking it is Sankam
Recently, another Bhpian stayed here and liked it, he has recommended the place, so Sankam and Pai are good options in Belgaum.

Edit:linking the post of @Mohan Mathew from the Accommodation thread here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4206951

Last edited by NPV : 31st May 2017 at 21:10.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 00:27   #2119
NKR
BHPian

Hi all

I am planning to drive from Wayanad, Kerala to Pune.

I plan to drive via Mysore and towards Bangalore. I suppose I should cross Mandya and head towards Tumkur after byepassing Bangalore and go towards Devangere.

Could you please tell me any particular landmark that I should look for, so as to byepass Bangalore and then take the Pune Bangalore highway.Where exactly would I enter the highway. I have read about the NICE road in this forum however I am slightly confused, is it the only road from Mysore to Bangalore via Seringapatnam.

A lot of info on hotels in Belgaum and Hubli , are there any suggestions for stay at Tumkur as I plan to halt there on the first day. The second day would be at Hubli.

Can you please tell me the major roads that I should look for, I am rather looking for good roads as I would be travelling with my wife and two children therefore their comfort and safety being the most important thing.

Any other tips suggestions are very welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 4th June 2017, 08:44   #2120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post
Hi all

I am planning to drive from Wayanad, Kerala to Pune.

I plan to drive via Mysore and towards Bangalore. I suppose I should cross Mandya and head towards Tumkur after byepassing Bangalore and go towards Devangere.
For Waynad as your destination, the usual option is to bypass Bangalore Mysore road completely (well, almost) and for that you deviate off Mumbai-Bangalore Highway at Hiriyur.

By doing so, you will pass Hiriyur Town - Nitturu - Nelligere - Nagamangala - Pandavapura - Srirangapattana (https://goo.gl/maps/eLorGbJysgn)

This will be approximately 200 Kms, and 3.5 Hours of 2 Lane road without a median right after you exit the Mumbai Bangalore Highway.

The other option is via Tumkur - Bangalore (NICE Road) - Mysore road (SH17) - Bidadi - Ramananagara - Channapattana -Mandya. This route is obviously longer but 4 lane all the way to Nanjangud now but will add around 2 Hours extra against the shorter option on a normal day and still make you pass all the above towns.

Quote:
Could you please tell me any particular landmark that I should look for, so as to byepass Bangalore and then take the Pune Bangalore highway.Where exactly would I enter the highway. I have read about the NICE road in this forum however I am slightly confused, is it the only road from Mysore to Bangalore via Seringapatnam.
This will be applicable only if you are reaching Mysore via Bangalore. Not otherwise. However, You need not take NICE road for reaching Mysore Road even If you are deciding to stay at Tumkur. For this, you do :
Tumkur - Kunigal (via Shivagange-Solur) - Nelligere - Nagamangala -Pandavapura - Srirangapattana - Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundlupet - Waynad.

Quote:
A lot of info on hotels in Belgaum and Hubli , are there any suggestions for stay at Tumkur as I plan to halt there on the first day. The second day would be at Hubli.
At Tumkur, Check the usual Naveen Regency. For Hubli there are lot of options with Popular ones being - Clarks Inn, Ambassador, Anant Residency. Based on your progress you can as well opt for Sankam at Belgaum which will be 2 more hours (max) from Hubli.
Quote:
Can you please tell me the major roads that I should look for, I am rather looking for good roads as I would be travelling with my wife and two children therefore their comfort and safety being the most important thing.
I would suggest you stick to Pune - Hubli - Tumkur - Shivagange- Solur - Kunigal - Nelligere - Nagamangala - Pandavapura - Srirangapattana - Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundlupet - Waynad considering family and good roads. The other option via Sira is also good but with this route you can halt at Tumkur as you have planned.

From Tumkur to Kunigal also, you can take Tumkur - Nelamangala - Solur - Kunigal but now that Dabaspet - Solur road is done, You can opt for that as well.

So without further confusion, your ideal route will be Pune - Tumkur : Halt
Tumkur - Dabaspet - Solur - Kunigal - Nelligere - Nagamangala - Pandavapura - Srirangapattana - Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundlupet - Waynad.

All throughout the highway you can make regular pit stops except the Nelligere - Srirangapattana stretch (70 kms) where there is hardly any good option. To remember this and plan your breaks as the stretch is not isolated but has limited or no good facilities.

Essentially, there is no major turn off that you have to remember. Tumkur will be straight run from Pune.

After Tumkur for Waynad, just follow Googlemaps and it will take out from this option mentioned above.

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th June 2017 at 09:00.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 09:37   #2121
NKR
BHPian

First of all thanks a lot for such an elaborate reply. However, I think I have been not very clear. I plan to start from. Wayanad and drive to Pune. So I will carry out the drive in reverse .The reason why I chose Tumkur to halt was that it should fall in around 6-7 hours of drive. I can stop anywhere else convinient..No compulsions to stay at Tumkur

While searching on Google maps the distance from Mysore to Hiriyur via Pandavapura is 220 km and via Mandya it seems to be 247 Km and the time taken is almost the same.. considering the 4 lane roads through Mandya would it be better to take that road and halt at Tumkur.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th June 2017 at 17:25. Reason: Removing quote tag
Old 4th June 2017, 10:09   #2122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While searching on Google maps the distance from Mysore to Hiriyur via Pandavapura is 220 km and via Mandya it seems to be 247 Km and the time taken is almost the same.. considering the 4 lane roads through Mandya would it be better to take that road and halt at Tumkur.
If it is a weekday, you can very well take the Mandya option. Gives you enough places to take breaks and all 4 lane. Peaceful that way.

But on weekends, especially post Sunday noon, avoid this and take the Pandavapura option.

A simple comparison between the 2:
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-screenshot_20170604101522.png

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-screenshot_20170604101509.png

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th June 2017 at 10:16.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 10:27   #2123
NKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If it is a weekday, you can very well take the Mandya option.
Thanks again

I shall be driving on a weekday. So I think I shall, considering the break options I would prefer the Mandya option. Should I stop at Tumkur or somewhere else.

So is the route- Mysore - Mandya- Nice Exit -Tumkur. ??

Last edited by Aditya : 4th June 2017 at 17:27. Reason: Fixing quote tags
Old 4th June 2017, 12:56   #2124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I shall be driving on a weekday. So I think I shall, considering the break options I would prefer the Mandya option. Should I stop at Tumkur or somewhere else.

So is the route- Mysore - Mandya- Nice Exit -Tumkur. ??
There's Naveen Regency (again) at Chitradurga (2 Hours from Tumkur) and Sankama at Davanagere (3 Hours from Tumkur). Based on your progress you can decide where to say.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th June 2017 at 17:26. Reason: Fixing quote tags
Old 4th June 2017, 13:45   #2125
NKR
BHPian

Thanks again. I shall do so. Can you guide me towards any landmark that I should look out for so that I head towards Tumkur - the highway, and not Bangalore city. Regards

Last edited by Aditya : 4th June 2017 at 17:28. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 4th June 2017, 15:18   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
First of all thanks a lot for such an elaborate reply. However, I think I have been not very clear. I plan to start from. Wayanad and drive to Pune. So I will carry out the drive in reverse .The reason why I chose Tumkur to halt was that it should fall in around 6-7 hours of drive. I can stop anywhere else convinient..No compulsions to stay at Tumkur

I do a bi-yearly trip on this route.
This time I made a small detour through Swathi Delicacy, nr. Kunigal. Read a lot of recommendations here.. Wasn't disappointed.

It was a peaceful drive and the weather was also completely overcast. Apoorva, in Davanagere is one place we stop almost religiously on our trips in this direction. Clean and spacious rooms, small pool, decent food. All in all, a good night's rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_1047.png  

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_1048.png  

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_1049.png  

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_1050.png  

Last edited by Aditya : 4th June 2017 at 17:29. Reason: Quoted text fixed
Shanmd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 15:27   #2127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again I shall do so. Can you guide ne towards any landmark that I should look out for so that I head toeards Tumkur , the higjwat and not Bangalore city.
You will enter NICE Road from Mysore Road as you reach Bangalore. You need to ask for Tumkur road exit when you buy toll here.

Once you do that, drive on this toll road all the way till the end where there is a huge toll booth running across both the sides. Show your receipt here and as you get out of the booth, stay left and you will notice a signage for "Bangalore City" and Tumkur. Staying left will invariably lead you to Tumkur road as you descend the left exit ramp. As soon as you descend, you are on service road and you will spot another toll booth to enter the Tumkur Expressway (NBTL). Pay toll here (20/-) and enter the main corridor leading all the way to Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
It was a peaceful drive and the weather was also completely overcast. Apoorva, in Davanagere is one place we stop almost religiously on our trips in this direction. Clean and spacious rooms, small pool, decent food. All in all, a good night's rest.
You may want to look at the very first post of this thread then .

Apoorva Resorts is listed by me there since more than 1.5 Years . The place is good to stay but ever since Sankama has come up, it has been another good (and VFM) alternative to Apoorva which has only gone north when it comes to its price.

Next time you may want to check Sankama.

Swati Delicacy is a lovely option and that's also listed but on the Bangalore Mangalore Thread.

I use both both these routes very regulary. Pune/Mumbai at least once every 2 months and Bangalore Hassan almost every alternate weekend.

Quote:
Here is an attempt, a comprehensive one, as much as I could to include details regarding Food & Fuel options between Mumbai - Pune- Bangalore that would help most of the queries get addressed in this single post rather than look elsewhere. I have given map location for each of the POIs in chronological order to enable travelers to reach here without much trouble.

3.Apoorva Resorts - Before Davanagere Bypass
[/url]

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th June 2017 at 15:40.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 15:48   #2128
NKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
I do a bi-yearly trip on this route.
This time I made a small detour through Swathi Delicacy, nr. Kunigal. Read a lot of recommendations here.. Wasn't disappointed.

Thanks a lot for the valuable inputs quantified by the screen shots. Priceless. I hope that I will not get lost now

I don't know whether I shall push on to Devanagere as it would mean a drive of more than 8hrs..my younger one is just about 2 years. The aim is to drive about 6 hours a day. Since I would be starting from Wayanad. I thought Tumkur to be the apt pit stop.what is your recommendation.??

The Second day again 6 hrs of drive may be halt at a good resort/hotel and reach Pune on the third day....

Regards

Quote:
You will enter NICE Road from Mysore Road as you reach Bangalore. You need to ask for Tumkur road exit when you buy toll here.
Thanks again. As brought out earlier. With all these valuable inputs I hope to make it without getting lost.

Regards

Last edited by Aditya : 4th June 2017 at 17:32. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 4th June 2017, 20:02   #2129
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the valuable inputs quantified by the screen shots. Priceless. I hope that I will not get lost now

I don't know whether I shall push on to Devanagere as it would mean a drive of more than 8hrs..my younger one is just about 2 years. The aim is to drive about 6 hours a day. Since I would be starting from Wayanad. I thought Tumkur to be the apt pit stop.what is your recommendation.??

The Second day again 6 hrs of drive may be halt at a good resort/hotel and reach Pune on the third day....

Regards
Hi NKR,
Halt at kolhapur the next day then. Try this..
http://www.nisargresort.in

It'll be a bit away from the main city/highway, but worth it.
Again, this is a place we've stayed at a few times, and have not been disappointed. Great food. Great views.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th June 2017 at 20:47. Reason: Fixing broken quote.
Old 4th June 2017, 20:14   #2130
NKR
BHPian

Hi Shanmd

Thanks for all the inputs. Shall halt at Kolhapur at Nisarg.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks