Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2016, 08:51   #2026
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

I did the Bangalore - Mumbai route on the Diwali Sunday and it was a bliss through out barring some sections.

Sections to watch out for:
  1. 60 Kms to Hubli. The road looks blacktop but has massive depressions caused by soft bitumen and heavy load. Very tricky for bikers. Even cars need to be careful.
  2. Kolhapur - Satara : ROad works going on and some stretches are rough
Apart from this, its a breeze.

I did the 999.4kms door to door from Whitefield to Chembur in 14 Hrs 10 Mins Stats from the drive:
  • Distance - 999.4Kms
  • Time Taken - 14 hrs 10 Mins
  • Stops - 3 30Mins stop, 3/4 5 min Tea/coffee breaks. Over all break time to be about 2hrs.
  • Mileage: 12.5KMPL for first tank and 13.7kmpl for 2nd fill
  • Speed: Drove a steady 100-120kmph, 82kmph avg speed for first fill and 73kmph for 2nd fill
  • Car - Octy vRS Mk1
MileCruncher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 18:23   #2027
BHPian

Looks like quite a few hit the road to Mumbai during the Diwali weekend, including some of my known contacts (though they are not on T-BHP). I too made it to Mumbai in my lil' Honda Brio, a solo 1000 + 1000 Kms drive. Thoroughly enjoyed the drive.

Took 15 hours to reach Jogeshwari West (Mumbai) from JP Nagar (Bangalore) and on the return journey, it took me 17 hours. Crazy traffic at the tolls took the extra time. Nevertheless, roads are excellent end-to-end, sans a few diversions around Satara.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-20161101_064055.jpg  

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-20161101_125942.jpg  

palsaumik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 09:55   #2028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post

Roads in Bombay have gone too bad at some places especially SPTPL - Turbhe junction flyover and Uran phata flyover.
UPDATE :- Potholes have been repaired on the SPTPL stretch in Bombay. It wouldn't be a supersmooth experience all the way through but there aren't any more huge potholes as seen a few days back. You will just come across large bumpy stretches, that's all.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 09:42   #2029
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Wanted some specific details on the Mumbai Pune stretch.
Here are some pointers, also do read up recent posts by other members, will help you plan well:

-Factor in 13-15 hours depending on your breaks, better to plan your food and fuel breaks (at least approximately)
-Road conditions are excellent mostly except for maybe the odd stretch with few potholes especially around Kolhapur bypass/Karad, nothing to worry really
-There are diversions between Satara and Pune due to road/flyover work and you will be moving between the main carriageway lanes and the service road
-If you're heading to Pune, take the correct exit, else you may end up on the Pune-Mumbai expressway
-Try to combine breaks for food & fuel top ups, will save time
-Start early, 4am will be a good time
-During my trip to Wai (turned off before Pune), started at 4am from Bangalore, stopped at Kamat Ranebennur around 8:30am for breakfast. Lunch stop was at Sai International on the Kolhapur bypass (Yelur), there are many other restaurants on the 2-3 Km stretch around Sai International.
-Look at Parag's invaluable post for food and fuel options, bookmark this post for reference - Link (Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries)

Last edited by NPV : 16th November 2016 at 09:45.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 10:46   #2030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you're heading to Pune, take the correct exit, else you may end up on the Pune-Mumbai expressway
Rarely happened that anyone heading to Pune has missed the exit and ended up on the Expressway. This is because the Mumbai Pune expressway starts only at the other end of the Pune Bypass and before this you get at least 6-7 exits from the Pune bypass to get inside Pune!
  • Katraj Exit
  • Ambegaon Exit
  • Narhe Exit
  • Singhaghad Road Exit
  • Warje Exit
  • Paud Road Exit (Chandani Chowk)
  • Bavdhan Exit
  • Sus Road Exit
  • Baner/Balewadi Exit
  • Wakad Exit
  • Indira College Exit
  • Mumbai Pune Expressway Exit
(could be few more but these are those I could recall)

And from Arindam's PM, I recollect he is heading to Aundh and for that he can take the Sus Road or the Balewadi Exit to reach his destination from the Pune Bypass.

The only confusion that I have always seen is near Katraj old tunnel exit, 5 kms after after Khedshivpur Toll Plaza where the signage says "Right" for Pune and Head straight for Mumbai and that was (or still is) misleading. However, today with many of us always using a navigation device or maps, this confusion is also gone.

Quote:
During my trip to Wai (turned off before Pune), started at 4am from Bangalore, stopped at Kamat Ranebennur around 8:30am for breakfast.

Lunch stop was at Sai International on the Kolhapur bypass (Yelur), there are many other restaurants on the 2-3 Km stretch around Sai International.
Absolutely - Kamat Ranebennur makes best sense with 0400-0430 Start not only in terms of distance (300 kms, 4+ Hours) but also in terms of satisfying your hunger due to the fact that you would have woke up at 0230 . The only other options are 60 kms ahead (CCD at Shiggaon) and 80 kms ahead (Kamat near Varur) from Ranebennur Kamat and based on progress you can opt for these too.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th November 2016 at 10:53.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 11:00   #2031
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Rarely happened that anyone heading to Pune has missed the exit and ended up on the Expressway. This is because the Mumbai Pune expressway starts only at the other end of the Pune Bypass and before this you get at least 6-7 exits from the Pune bypass to get inside Pune
I'm not very familiar with the expressway Pune-Panvel section having traveled just couple of times both times being a back seat passenger!

So, adding that sentence in my response was a ploy to have an expert like you or someone else answer that part in detail and was spot on since you've answered that in detail

Quote:
I recollect he is heading to Aundh and for that he can take the Sus Road or the Balewadi Exit to reach his destination from the Pune Bypass.
I remember seeing an exit just after the expressway ends when coming from Panvel and that I thought was the exit for Aundh ? This leads to a wide road with the newish bus lanes in the middle ?

Last edited by NPV : 16th November 2016 at 11:02.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 11:04   #2032
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I remember seeing an exit just after the expressway ends when coming from Panvel and that I thought was the exit for Aundh ?
The Expressway nearing Pune has 2 exits.

One right after the Toll booth at Urse for Talegaon/Chakan etc and the second one is a default exit as you get onto NH4 bypass for Pune from there - Left for Dehu Road and right towards Pune.

Aundh can be reached from Multiple points from Mumbai side with the first one being Wakad but that also is at least 5 kms after you get out of the Expressway at Kiwale.

EDIT: Wide road and BRTS Lanes must be this one: The Sanghvi - Kiwale Corridor that is operational now IIRC but then why would one want to drive all the way from Bangalore to the end of Pune bypass and drive back to Aundh when there are exits much before this on the bypass where you can reach Aundh. Its like you are driving from EC NICE Road to TUMKUR Road and then taking the outer ring road at Peenya to reach Nayandahalli!

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th November 2016 at 11:11.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 13:41   #2033
BHPian

^^ Agree with Parag. There are umpteen exits/entries from various regions of Pune onto the NH4 bypass. Infact the bypass has been like any other internal city road from past 15 years or so when Pune started developing rapidly on both sides of bypass. So, one would never miss getting into their respective destinations in Pune as there are lot of sign boards all along the 36km long bypass.

And with so many online maps at our disposal today, getting to Aundh in Pune is very easy. As already mentioned by Parag, Balewadi exit is "the" standard road to head towards Aundh whether coming from Bangalore side or Bombay side. The most prominent landmarks are -

1. Coming from Bangalore side - keep straight on Pune NH4 bypass beyond Katraj new tunnels/beyond Chandni chowk and keep looking for "Orchid VITS 5 star" hotel at Baner on your left and take the left exit onto the service road just before this hotel. From the service road take right turn through the underpass to head to Aundh.

2. Coming from Bombay side - Just keep straight beyond the Expressway and keep looking for Hotel Sadanand Regency at Baner on your left ( ORCHID VITS is on your right now ) and take the exit here. This is the standard exit for those coming from Bombay and wanting to get into NH9 towards Hyderabad ( passing Pune through and through ).

The first major exit ( wide road ) at the end of Expressway is at Ravet on the left side. As you have already mentioned, it is indeed the Kiwale--Sanghvi BRTS corridor. @NPV - This road too can be taken for Aundh ( only while coming from Bombay side ) but the Baner Sadanand exit is much better than this one.

The sign board before Katraj new tunnels coming from Bangalore side ( near Shindewadi octroi ) mentions Pune ( right side - via Katraj old tunnel-ghat ) and Hinjewadi and Mumbai ( straight via new katraj tunnels ).
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 14:11   #2034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

And from Arindam's PM, I recollect he is heading to Aundh and for that he can take the Sus Road or the Balewadi Exit to reach his destination from the Pune Bypass.
Hi Parag, yes thats correct I am heading to Aundh. Will keep these two exits in mind. I assume that these would be on the main NH 48 itself. Are there clear signages for these?
Old 16th November 2016, 14:59   #2035
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And with so many online maps at our disposal today, getting to Aundh in Pune is very easy. As already mentioned by Parag, Balewadi exit is "the" standard road to head towards Aundh whether coming from Bangalore side or Bombay side. The most prominent landmarks are -

1. Coming from Bangalore side - keep straight on Pune NH4 bypass beyond Katraj new tunnels/beyond Chandni chowk and keep looking for "Orchid VITS 5 star" hotel at Baner on your left and take the left exit onto the service road just before this hotel. From the service road take right turn through the underpass to head to Aundh.
^^^Your answer is here Arindam. Just follow that.

Quote:
Hi Parag, yes thats correct I am heading to Aundh. Will keep these two exits in mind. I assume that these would be on the main NH 48 itself. Are there clear signages for these?
There are signages but you might miss due to traffic or being on the wrong lane and a truck blocking the view ahead. Trust entirely on Google maps.

Easier way to remember to exit is that once you are on Pune Bypass, an overbridge will cut across you from top and after this you will spot Nissan Show room on your left. You exit will be a little ahead of this where the VITS Hotel is (Orangiah Brown Looking Building on left).

You exit here, pass the hotel on left and a little ahead turn right from underneath the NH towards Belawadi.

In the end, Trust Gmaps and you won't have any trouble at all.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 08:54   #2036
Senior - BHPian

Parag, NPV, Vivek- thanks to all of you for your detailed and specific replies. Always a great help for someone who is doing this drive for the first time.

I have another noob question, this time to do with semantics. On this thread, as well as various other route threads on the forum, I see the word "bypass" used liberally. E.g., Tumkur Bypass, Pune Bypass etc. What does the word bypass really mean? In my limited understanding, it would mean that part of the NH4 which passes by (bypasses, if you will) a specific town. Therefore, the Pune Bypass will that that portion of the NH4 which runs alongside the length of Pune city without actually entering into/ cutting through the town. Is my understanding correct, or is there any other significance to the term bypass?

Pardon me if this seems like a very basic question
Old 17th November 2016, 10:08   #2037
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What does the word bypass really mean? In my limited understanding, it would mean that part of the NH4 which passes by (bypasses, if you will) a specific town. Therefore, the Pune Bypass will that that portion of the NH4 which runs alongside the length of Pune city without actually entering into/ cutting through the town. Is my understanding correct, or is there any other significance to the term bypass?
Your understanding is correct, bypass is a portion of the highway that bypasses a city or town. Most older highways have been widened to 4 or 6 lane divided highways now bypassing towns and cities, the erstwhile old Highway in all probability is just a regular city road now.
In simple terms, stick to the highway and you will be on the bypass. On this Bangalore-Pune route, the narrow section of Hubli-Dharwad and nearing Kolhapur and Karad are possibly the only places now that see more city-like traffic with 2 and 3 wheelers sharing space and these are the places where you will typically be slowing down.
Old 19th November 2016, 14:17   #2038
BHPian

Quote:

The sign board before Katraj new tunnels coming from Bangalore side ( near Shindewadi octroi ) mentions Pune ( right side - via Katraj old tunnel-ghat ) and Hinjewadi and Mumbai ( straight via new katraj tunnels ).
UPDATE on this :- There is a new fairly large signage placed here ( right at the first exit you take for Pune ) which mentions -

1. Mumbai and Pune ( straight )
2. Katraj ( via left exit )

No more confusions for first timers now but do remember that Katraj is very much Pune too and this exit doesn't lead you to any different place than Pune. As I had said before, these are just various exits to different areas in Pune. Just that Katraj exit is not preferred by many people, more so outsiders.
Old 22nd November 2016, 00:45   #2039
BHPian

Quote:
Apparently, the Fairfield Marriott at Kakati ,Belgaum is a 5 star, the first one in Belgaum city but my friend says it's a 4 star. The opening was originally expected by mid-2016 but Fairfield later deferred to make it operational by the end of 2016. If I am not wrong, it should be the first ever 4/5 star rated property bang on NH4 in the KA part ( Bangalore--Nipani) once opened. Needless to say, MH has a couple of 4/5 stars on NH4 since many years, courtesy being Pune city ! Here is a pic of Fairfield Mariott Belgaum that I had clicked in June

Fairfield by Marriott at Belgaum ( NH4 bypass near Kakati ) has finally become operational since a few days.
I have shared the driving directions in the above quoted post. ( Entry and exit to the hotel are roadside facing )

Minor update on Pune--Satara -> The only place on this stretch where there is an extremely bad patch of about 10 metres is at Kapurhol, i .e beyond Khed Shivapur ( on the Pune-- Bangalore direction ). Take care while driving at night.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd November 2016 at 06:40. Reason: Edited quoted section
Old 12th December 2016, 11:32   #2040
BHPian

Update :- Continuous laying down of new tarmac is being carried out on Kolhapur--Karad--Satara sector. If you find grazed surface of the road in between, that's because it is being prepared for fresh asphalt on top.

Just an year ago, some stretches on this route were newly laid down. The old ones have gone too bumpy, may be that's the reason for this reasphaltation work again. All in all, expect minor diversions for the next couple of weeks. The stretches that were relaid last year are holding up very good ( read smooth surfaces ).

Last edited by vivek95 : 12th December 2016 at 11:42.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks