Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2017, 11:27   #2146
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
NHAI website claims completion in Dec. 2017 which clearly looks like not going to happen. Just check the original planned completion date as against the expected date Just goes to show the painful speed at which road projects are happening in India.
In all probabilities, the Pune--Satara section would get completed by around next year July--August. I would be more than happy if I am proven wrong. Shirwal to Pune section is the one where most of the work is yet pending. The only upside is road conditions including the diversions remain very good. At present it takes 1 hour 15 mins from Satara to Katraj new tunnel, Pune during typical day time MH traffic. This would get reduced by another 20 mins once the entire stretch is fully ready with 6 lanes + 4 service lanes.

My streak of driving solo on Belgaum--Mumbai--Belgaum sector continues. About 10 days back I started from Belgaum by 3.15 pm and reached Panvel, Mumbai at 9.35 pm, it was a nonstop drive except for a 15 mins fuel + bio break. Took another 1 hour to get inside Mumbai. Absolutely good roads all the way as reported earlier too in my previous posts.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 12:24   #2147
BHPian

Doing Bangalore Mumbai next week. Due to kids school I am unable to start in the golden hours(04:00 AM). Is 12:00 PM afternoon a good start?
Old 14th September 2017, 12:48   #2148
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaymishra View Post
Doing Bangalore Mumbai next week. Due to kids school I am unable to start in the golden hours(04:00 AM). Is 12:00 PM afternoon a good start?
With a noon start on a weekday, getting out of Bangalore may not be so bad depending on where you stay and how soon you can get to Tumkur road (once you cross Peenya, Dasarahalli, traffic should be lower).

You can also plan to break your journey overnight at Hubli or Belgaum and resume your journey early on Day 2. Or even Kolhapur could be an option.

Last edited by NPV : 14th September 2017 at 12:50.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 19:00   #2149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
With a noon start on a weekday, getting out of Bangalore may not be so bad depending on where you stay and how soon you can get to Tumkur road (once you cross Peenya, Dasarahalli, traffic should be lower).

You can also plan to break your journey overnight at Hubli or Belgaum and resume your journey early on Day 2. Or even Kolhapur could be an option.
Thanks NPV, I am planning to do non-stop, was concerned on the Maharashtra traffic since I will be entering Kolhapur around 08:00 pm.
Old 14th September 2017, 19:11   #2150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaymishra View Post
Thanks NPV, I am planning to do non-stop, was concerned on the Maharashtra traffic since I will be entering Kolhapur around 08:00 pm.
I have started from Bangalore on a number of occasions post noon and on a weekday, like NPV mentions, it will be bliss all the way with sparse traffic to navigate out of Bangalore and while passing bypasses of other towns you get en-route.

A 1PM start should easily take you to Kolhapur by 9/10PM Max. Next morning if you start at 6, you will still be good but remember that you will hit Pune by 0830/0900 when the Pune bypass will have thick weekday traffic.

Beyond Pune, the expressway will be a cakewalk and so will be entry to Vashi (Thane or Mumbai) as you will reach here after 11 am.

If you start at 5AM, you might be in trouble, especially when you enter Vashi during peak hours and hence 6AM start from Kolhapur will be perfect.

Your concerns regarding MH Traffic:

If you are halting at Kolhapur, you should not worry about this

If you are planning to continue driving to Mumbai, I would like to add few more bits from my usual experiences:

- Lesser traffic from Kolhapur to Mumbai during nights

- Private and ST bus traffic will get thicker as you start driving beyond 10PM anywhere on Kolhapur - Mumbai sector. This means the tolls queues will have them and you will have to bear with their ruffian antics for 350 kms from Kolhapur after driving peacefully for the earlier 650 kms.

- There will be options to stop for breaks - Be that food or 24X7 fuel stations all over MH and frequently

- You may have to exercise caution, especially when stopping at unknown locations anywhere (at nights only)- Satara, Khambhatki Ghats, Katraj Ghat, Pune Bypass and the expressway because of regular instances we have heard on mugging. However, this route is safe in general.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th September 2017 at 19:12.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 10:08   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

- You may have to exercise caution, especially when stopping at unknown locations anywhere (at nights only)- Satara, Khambhatki Ghats, Katraj Ghat, Pune Bypass and the expressway because of regular instances we have heard on mugging. However, this route is safe in general.
Thanks for your valuable feedback Parag! I am planning to do this non-stop hopefully reach Kalyan by 02:00 AM. thanks for the caution, my usual stop use to be Kailash Bhel at Khed Shivapur. Knowing it will be closed at the time I will pass by, I am not willing to stop at any other locations due to the incidents you mentioned. Thanks again.
Old 26th September 2017, 23:01   #2152
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am planning a solo trip from Bangalore to Mumbai. Part 1 (29th) is from BLR to Kolhapur- start around 10-11 from BLR probably reach around 6, followed by an overnight halt. Part 2 (30th) is Kolhapur to Mumbai - start around 9 reach around 3pm.
Does this plan sound fine? I am going to be carrying several household items (atleast ~10 pieces of luggage). Is there any checking on the way where they may question me? I have a KA registered car.
Anything else I should be vary of?
Old 27th September 2017, 08:32   #2153
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Does this plan sound fine? I am going to be carrying several household items (atleast ~10 pieces of luggage). Is there any checking on the way where they may question me?
I think it is optimistic to assume you can reach Kolhapur at 6pm with a 10-11am start from Bangalore. Being the beginning of a long holiday weekend, you will spend a lot of time in getting out of the city, so I suggest you consider starting between 4 and 5am.
I'm not aware of any specific place where there is checking, unless there are elections around the corner.

Late start on Day 2 should be fine as it lets you reach Mumbai during the afternoon in off-peak hours.

Last edited by NPV : 27th September 2017 at 08:34.
Old 27th September 2017, 11:48   #2154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I am going to be carrying several household items (atleast ~10 pieces of luggage). Is there any checking on the way where they may question me? I have a KA registered car.
Anything else I should be vary of?
I have a KA car too (KA 22) and am quite frequently driving on Mumbai--Belgaum--Mumbai route. I have been flagged down by police at Khed Shivapur toll,Pune and near Khambatki ghat between Pune--Satara. It was a usual checking of all documents, didn't check my luggage boot or anything and let me go quickly. But this does not happen on regular basis, have come across them only twice in my last 7 solo drives. Surprisingly, I have never been stopped on Pune--Mumbai Expressway. These days they have an outpost at both the tolls, many cars are being stopped here, mostly for alleged lane breaking. So I would say there are fair chances of checking in MH but nothing much to worry.

Last edited by vivek95 : 27th September 2017 at 11:50.
Old 17th October 2017, 10:54   #2155
BHPian

A friend drove from Pune to Belgaum now. Says there are some surprise potholes that are to be watched out for on Pune--Satara section. These might have cropped up after the recent heavy rains. Satara to Kolhapur to Belgaum remains supersmooth top notch. I myself might be driving yet another solo Bombay--Belgaum this week, will update if anything more.
Old 17th October 2017, 21:09   #2156
Senior - BHPian

Another new hotel (Southern Star) opened recently next to Lakshmi Flour Mill along Shamanur Road, Davangere. I walked in along with a friend to check the place out so that I can share the update here

Location on Maps : https://goo.gl/maps/EiHsqbUUfiQ2

- Easy access from NH4 along the Shamanur Exit
- ‎ Rooms can be booked online
- ‎ Spacious parking lot
- ‎ Restaurant is not open yet. (will be operational shortly)

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-17_10_17-8_52-pm-office-lens.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20170908wa0045.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20170908wa0039.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20170908wa0038.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20170908wa0036.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20170908wa0033.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20170908wa0031.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20170908wa0032.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20170908wa0030.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20170908wa0028.jpg

Updates from Davangere relevant to forum :

- Hotel Sai International along the old PB Road is undergoing renovation. We're told the work will be complete by the year end or first quarter of next year.

- Hotel Sankama started offering unlimited buffet lunch (only on Sunday). ₹ 299 + tax. Easily worth the money.

- One can spot traffic police officers clicking pictures of offenders within the city.
Klub Class is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 10:18   #2157
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

An update from recent Bangalore-Goa-Bangalore trip. Portions of my post on the Goa thread are relevant here for Bangalore-Hubli, so cross-linking here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4289688

Last edited by GTO : 18th October 2017 at 16:46. Reason: As requested :)
Old 23rd October 2017, 00:11   #2158
BHPian

Did a quick dash Mumbai--Belgaum--Mumbai over 24 hours during Diwali. Had an absolutely blissful drive all along more so on the Satara--Kolhapur sector of NH4. Post monsoons, roads are holding up very good. Couple of small rough patches on Satara--Pune section but nothing to worry. I did both onward and return in 8 hours including an hour's stop enroute.

My friend drove today from Belgaum to Pune at the end of this long weekend and took a whopping 8.5 hours for a literally non stop drive from Belgaum to Chandni chowk,Pune (approx 336 kms). This was solely due to heavy volume of cars and other vehicles on the road heading back to Pune/Mumbai. Maharashtra's highway traffic is as usual high and add to it the end of long weekend. He said he hasn't ever experienced such massive highway traffic till date in his life.
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:17   #2159
Senior - BHPian

Drove Bangalore - Hubli as part of my Badami - Goa drive. The top layer is peeled of on the Davengere - Chitradurga section. The other side was better.
Also, found an interceptor before Harihar while going towards Hubli.

Mysore Cafe after Chitradurga is a good option for break fast while heading out of Bangalore.

https://goo.gl/maps/eMdGf1NkxN72
Old 4th November 2017, 08:27   #2160
BHPian

Jaipur to Bangalore Driving Suggestions

Hello,

I am planning to drive from Jaipur to Bangalore and it ONLY to reach back in Bangalore, no touristy or sight seeing activities.

Which would be the best route and how long should I expect the trip to take?

Also, since I am doing such long trip for the first time, I humbly request your valuable suggestions as to where to stay, what all to take and any other things to be taken care of?

Is it safe to drive and what precautions should be taken?

Kindly advise stops for food, spending nights etc. I am planning to drive ONLY during daylight.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks