Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 18:17   #511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
I stay in Viman Nagar.
Where in Viman Nagar ? Please tell me.

Quote:
The last past is very true I have traveled so many times in KSRTC volvo and all the times these guys have never forget to stop in Natraj during early hours.
Natraj is like a depot kind of an arrangement even for private players.
From Pune onward journey, the nearest stop is Shastri Nagar/Kalyani Nagar chowk, or very near to Police Station or Don Bosco school. You can board there. This is the nearest private bus stand. Do tell me if you need more info on that.
Old 13th April 2010, 18:26   #512
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
MS / Amphere

Instead of gambling on these routes, should I go to Sira from Mysore and then continue via Chitradurga, Davanagere, Belgaum, Kolhapur and Pune. Which comes 50 - 60 Kms more that the actual distance between Pune - Bangalore. I feel this would be better as we have longer stretch of NH than travelling in SH.

Let me know your comments.
I have not done this route. What I would say is once check with HVK if he has an idea of the Shimoga/Ranibennur route section.
Old 13th April 2010, 18:35   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Where in Viman Nagar ? Please tell me.
Viman Nagar is off Nagar Road and close to the New Airport road which connects Nagar Road to Airport.

Quote:
From Pune onward journey, the nearest stop is Shastri Nagar/Kalyani Nagar chowk, or very near to Police Station or Don Bosco school. You can board there. This is the nearest private bus stand. Do tell me if you need more info on that.
Prince, Ranjith plans to drive from Pune and not board a bus and I guess you got confused here.
@Ranjith,correct me if I am wrong.
Old 14th April 2010, 15:10   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I have not done this route. What I would say is once check with HVK if he has an idea of the Shimoga/Ranibennur route section.
I am doing a PM to HVK - is he called HUKumar... ?
Old 14th April 2010, 15:33   #515
Senior - BHPian

^^Yes HV Kumar. And where in Viman Nagar are you putting up ? Konark Nagar ?
Old 14th April 2010, 15:34   #516
Senior - BHPian

No, I have also never taken the Ranebennur-Honnali route. I prefer the Harihar-Honnali-Shimoga route, which is not a great road but OK.
Old 14th April 2010, 15:35   #517
BHPian

Quote:
^^Yes HV Kumar. And where in Viman Nagar are you putting up ? Konark Nagar ?
Sakore Nagar. ....
Old 14th April 2010, 15:37   #518
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No, I have also never taken the Ranebennur-Honnali route. I prefer the Harihar-Honnali-Shimoga route, which is not a great road but OK.
Ranjith. Here's your only chance to T-BHP glory. Take the Ranebennur- Honnali route before HVK tries that. You may have to junk your car. But if you beat HVK to a road, your name lives forever.
Old 14th April 2010, 15:38   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Hey Kumar was about to PM you, while coming back to Pune I am starting from Mysore, So just want to know if I can go to Sira from Mysore and then continue via Chitradurga,... your view on that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Ranjith. Here's your only chance to T-BHP glory. Take the Ranebennur- Honnali route before HVK tries that. You may have to junk your car. But if you beat HVK to a road, your name lives forever.
Yes MS your are right I have to junk my car, and that too with family ( three adults )... I dont want to experiment....

I still remember you trip two weeks back where your GPS failed and what your father said...

Last edited by Dippy : 15th April 2010 at 09:29. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the edit function if posting within 20 minutes of your earlier post.
Old 14th April 2010, 15:48   #520
Team-BHP Support

Ranjit there comes the answer from HVK.

Another fact: Remember that Name : HVK by heart.
You will need it whenever/wherever you are on the road.
Old 14th April 2010, 15:54   #521
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes MS your are right I have to junk my car, and that too with family ( three adults )... I dont want to experiment....

I still remember you trip two weeks back where your GPS failed and what your father said...
My GPS didn't fail. Satnav maps showed a route that's 3 years in making. In a way, they are showing a road 20 years before some minister can come along and cut a ribbon!
Old 16th April 2010, 07:03   #522
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the help, folks. I started from Bangalore on 14th morning and reached Mumbai in time for a late lunch on 15th (my wife insisted we break for the night at Kolhapur).

- Started at 5AM from Bangalore (Murugesh Palaya). Took the ORR as I am not familiar with the roads within the city. I guess big mistake.
- Almost an hour later, reached the intersection with NH4. The first 25 km or so of NH4 is being widened and hence is in a mess... is there another route that people take to avoid this? Something that perhaps involves taking the northbound NH7 and westbound NH207? It took me almost 2 hours to reach Tumkur.
- GQ is still under construction or re-construction at several locations within KA. Very difficult to manage the diversions, potholes and traffic coming in your lane towards you :-)
- We had carried breakfast; which we had somewhere near Davengere (9AM).
- Hubli at 11:30AM, Belgaum at 1:45PM. Lunch at a forgettable restaurant near Kittur.
- Kolhapur at 3:15PM, and my wife insisted we do not continue any further (vested interests - she picked up some real cheap kolhapuri chappals). The town's roads are pathetic! The break also allowed me to try out my long-unused Marathi skills at unsuspecting locals ;-)

Overall, Bangalore-Kolhapur 600 km in 8.25 hours, for an average of 73.

Day 2, started from Kolhapur at 8AM. NH4 within MH is a dream to drive on, but the traffic is heavy (not sure if this has anything to do with the time of the day).

- Karad at 8:40AM, Satara at 9:25AM.
- Pune at 10:50AM, then a slow-ish crawl through the bypass looking for the Dehu Road starting point of the expressway. Had a coffee break and a fuel break at a CCD somewhere on this stretch.
- The Pune-Mumbai expressway was a dream! My only crib is that it ended too soon. 55 minutes to cover 95 km, at an average of 103 kmph. I was at Kalamboli at 12:30PM.
- Then the slow progress through Vashi-Deonar-EEH-Powai-Jogeshwari to my final destination, Goregaon - reached at 2:15PM.

Kolhapur-Mumbai (creek bridge at Vashi) was covered in 5 hours, at an average of 71. The distance is 355 km. I guess the slow progress through Pune outskirts and Navi Mumbai pulled the average down quite a bit.

Bangalore-Kolhapur costs Rs. 255 in tolls, Kolhapur-Mumbai Rs. 332 (including Rs. 140 for the expressway and Rs. 30 for the creek bridge).
Old 16th April 2010, 09:51   #523
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
- Started at 5AM from Bangalore (Murugesh Palaya). Took the ORR as I am not familiar with the roads within the city. I guess big mistake.
- Almost an hour later, reached the intersection with NH4. The first 25 km or so of NH4 is being widened and hence is in a mess... is there another route that people take to avoid this? Something that perhaps involves taking the northbound NH7 and westbound NH207? It took me almost 2 hours to reach Tumkur.
If its a problem even at 4 in the morning, you should try the other route you mentioned. Here are the detaill:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1685822

But my take is that if you go through the city, it should not be that big a problem at early morning hours.
(Murgeshpalaya/MG Road/Bellary Road/Cauvery Junction/IISc/Yeshwantpur)

Some pain on the NH4 though.

Last edited by ampere : 16th April 2010 at 09:53.
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:49   #524
BHPian

Which hotel did you stay in Kolhapur? Tariff and accessibility from NH4?

Members have been raving about Hotel Sai International for food, but is the hotel good?

Any idea about Hotel Pearl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Thanks for all the help, folks. I started from Bangalore on 14th morning and reached Mumbai in time for a late lunch on 15th (my wife insisted we break for the night at Kolhapur).

- GQ is still under construction or re-construction at several locations within KA. Very difficult to manage the diversions, potholes and traffic coming in your lane towards you :-)
- We had carried breakfast; which we had somewhere near Davengere (9AM).
- Hubli at 11:30AM, Belgaum at 1:45PM. Lunch at a forgettable restaurant near Kittur.
- Kolhapur at 3:15PM, and my wife insisted we do not continue any further (vested interests - she picked up some real cheap kolhapuri chappals). The town's roads are pathetic! The break also allowed me to try out my long-unused Marathi skills at unsuspecting locals ;-)

Overall, Bangalore-Kolhapur 600 km in 8.25 hours, for an average of 73.

Day 2, started from Kolhapur at 8AM. NH4 within MH is a dream to drive on, but the traffic is heavy (not sure if this has anything to do with the time of the day).

- Karad at 8:40AM, Satara at 9:25AM.
- Pune at 10:50AM, then a slow-ish crawl through the bypass looking for the Dehu Road starting point of the expressway. Had a coffee break and a fuel break at a CCD somewhere on this stretch.
- The Pune-Mumbai expressway was a dream! My only crib is that it ended too soon. 55 minutes to cover 95 km, at an average of 103 kmph. I was at Kalamboli at 12:30PM.
- Then the slow progress through Vashi-Deonar-EEH-Powai-Jogeshwari to my final destination, Goregaon - reached at 2:15PM.

Kolhapur-Mumbai (creek bridge at Vashi) was covered in 5 hours, at an average of 71. The distance is 355 km. I guess the slow progress through Pune outskirts and Navi Mumbai pulled the average down quite a bit.

Bangalore-Kolhapur costs Rs. 255 in tolls, Kolhapur-Mumbai Rs. 332 (including Rs. 140 for the expressway and Rs. 30 for the creek bridge).
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:24   #525
BHPian

Hi,

The hotel pearl is a decent place but you have to enter the town as it is close to Tara Rani Chowk and the bus stand. It should take you 20 minutes from the highway to reach and around the same time to exit while approaching the NH 4 again.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks