Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 11:43   #706
BHPian

thanks for all the inputs everyone!!
Completed the bangalore to pune drive in 14hrs, with plenty of stops and google maps turn by turn voice navigation throughout. Google maps is perfect, but you don't need anything once you get on NH4

I started on sunday (10th) morning - plan was 3-4am, but ended up starting at 520am.
Nice Road - Koramangala to Bannerghatta road and then got onto Nice Road. There was a moronic impatient wagon R here who got stuck behind two 30kmph drag racing trucks and somehow wiggled through, but then decided to take suddenly slow down and take an exit without indicator. Result was that the truck behind him braked suddenly, skid under momentum of its weight and carried on sideways into wagon R rear. Everyone seemed ok, so we did not stop, but lesson learnt - PATIENCE!

After Nice Road - we got onto NH4, but missed first entry so had to go through side road for 10 irritatingly slow minutes, before we could get onto NH4. Once on NH4, the roads were perfect and we could speed up.

Stopped at an india oil outlet on way for a few mins of refuelling.
At 1020am, we stopped at reliance petrol bunk on Rannebennur for breakfast at Kamats. Good service and nice food.

The roads between Chitradurga to Haveri are major causes for drop in average speeds. There are small stretches of 200-300m under construction every few minutes which have to be done in 10-20kmph speed.
When the roads are good in this segment, stay upto 80kmph max, as the diversions come up suddenly or unmarked tiny speed breakers which can bust your suspension are also encountered many a times.

We hit Kolhapur Mcdonalds at 220pm. Average speed so far was 70kmph (637kms in 9 hours). Top speeds of 150kmph, but ideally you can easily hang at 110-120kmph and make time.
Relaxed at McDonalds for 1+hr and started again at 330pm.

The roads are good from Kolhapur onwards, but unfortunately not the traffic. I noticed some MKWRTC or such buses which are at 70-80kmph and always on right lane. They don't give way to overtake, unlike all the kind trucks, who with enough patience give way and infact even advise with hand signals when its best to overtake.
This irritating buses have caused all maharashtra car drivers to become idiotic fools. They always come in from left and indicate to get in front of you even though there is no space as the car in front of you maybe overtaking some slow left lane vehicle. This is very irritating and dangerous. Also my santro is loud (due to headers and CAI), which would make these morons feel, I am racing them and act more silly. So all the way from Kolhapur to Satara to Pune, I was mostly on 70kmph and taking it easy. Note that there also some sudden potholes if you choose too overtake from left and that can be damaging to your suspension.
Stopped in between for fuel and bio break a couple of times and finally entered pune from katraj at 630pm or so. This means an average speed of 66kmph, which is pretty good.
Once in pune, we went through kondhwa (big mistake) and really slowed down. Refuelled at Koregaon park to check mileage (18kmpl) and reached home (opp pune airport) only by 830pm.

Overall great fun experience and one of the longest drives for me (i was the only one driving). I would reckon if someone left at 3am and planned their fuel stops to combine with food stops, they could make it in lesser time and avoid some idiot bus/cars from kolhapur to pune.
Roads are amazing otherwise and worth the drive!

Last edited by jassi : 12th October 2010 at 11:49.
Old 12th October 2010, 13:13   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
The roads are good from Kolhapur onwards, but unfortunately not the traffic. I noticed some MKWRTC or such buses which are at 70-80kmph and always on right lane. They don't give way to overtake, unlike all the kind trucks, who with enough patience give way and infact even advise with hand signals when its best to overtake.
This is a known situation from Kolhapur all the way till Pune and you would be surprised if you take the same stretch after 10Pm and see that the very same buses move left to make way for you to overtake with just a flash of your lights. This is one reason why I prefer doing this stretch in the night (post dinner) and plan leaving Bangalore between 2-4Pm.
Quote:
This irritating buses have caused all maharashtra car drivers to become idiotic fools. They always come in from left and indicate to get in front of you even though there is no space as the car in front of you maybe overtaking some slow left lane vehicle. This is very irritating and dangerous.
Couldn't agree with you more on this. The second reason why I pass this place very early or very late. The sudden increase in the 2 wheeler traffic along with rapid urbanisation along the Kolhapur-Pune belt had resulted in such chaos with traffic. On a week day, driving Karad-Kolhapur (Almost till the MIDC after Kolhapur exit) is equally terrible especially between 8am-10am.

Quote:
Overall great fun experience and one of the longest drives for me (i was the only one driving). I would reckon if someone left at 3am and planned their fuel stops to combine with food stops, they could make it in lesser time and avoid some idiot bus/cars from kolhapur to pune.
Roads are amazing otherwise and worth the drive!
Leaving between 4-5am and with sedate speeds is good enough to do the journey in 12 hours (or within) with good breaks for refuelling and food.
Maximum distance gets covered during the very early part of the day with good speeds and best average speeds are gained post Hubli bypass till Kagal Check post.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th October 2010 at 13:14.
Old 23rd October 2010, 19:53   #708
Senior - BHPian

Friends, what is the approximate toll amount for the whole journey, from Koramangala, Bangalore (via Nelamangala) to Andheri (W), Mumbai ?

Am leaving in 5 days time, in my Scorp.
Old 23rd October 2010, 20:20   #709
Senior - BHPian

Rs 639 is the toll you will pay from Bangalore to Bombay
Old 24th October 2010, 18:18   #710

I'll be travelling to Mumbai via Pune next week. I'm not able to decide which road to take to reach Nelamangala/Tumkur. Should i take the international airport road and take the road straight to Tumkur or should i take the Nice road which was taken by Jassi?
Old 25th October 2010, 07:45   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Rs 639 is the toll you will pay from Bangalore to Bombay
Thanks for your reply, HVKumar !

I plan to leave at 5 am from Koramangala towards Yeshwantpur, Nelamangala, then Tumkur.

From Yeshwantpur circle, do I need to take the new flyover, or just proceed on the road below (since it will still be early in the morning) ? Hoping for some inputs from Parag, Jassi and the other veterans on this
Old 25th October 2010, 08:06   #712
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furman View Post
I'll be travelling to Mumbai via Pune next week. I'm not able to decide which road to take to reach Nelamangala/Tumkur. Should i take the international airport road and take the road straight to Tumkur or should i take the Nice road which was taken by Jassi?
It all depends on what is your start point and time of start?
If you stay South Bangalore, NICE access is better. If you stay North/East Bangalore, start early and go through the city traffic via Mekri Circle/IISc/Yeshwantpur.

I could not understand what you meant international airport road. That is NH7 and should never figure in scheme of things.
Old 25th October 2010, 08:53   #713
BHPian

chennai-hubli-chennai

Folks,
Did this run on 20/10 onwards- left my home at b.nagar at 3.30 am and after breakfast and tanking up at hosur reached hotel @ 2.30pm with a few bio breaks(via nice road) and return on 22/10.left at 4.30 am and reached home at 3.30pm with a bfast break at kamat after tumkur.
Was hunting to tank up on the way from hubli till almost haveri.Bad experience.Was surprised to note that there are so few bunks and even they are closed till 6.30 am.
Could not find decent hotel on way back till almost this kamat.
On the whole, drive was good but for the diversions/S breakers between davangere and haveri.
Was also surprised to see that the slow traffic moves to left to give way on the right.In TN highways the slow traffic ALWAYS moves in the fast lane....
Nice road is not smooth any longer .But is a boon for vehicles wanting to avoid BLR traffic.
cheers
Old 25th October 2010, 10:24   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Take the NICE Road, its much faster
Old 25th October 2010, 15:33   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which part of Bangalore do you reside?

Taking the NICE would be Ideal if you are starting after 7am from South Bangalore locations. Otherwise also, taking the NICE is always a better option.

If you are staying in North Bangalore areas or places like adjacent to ORR between Hebbal and KR Puram, taking the Tumkur Road will make absolute sense.
Old 25th October 2010, 15:40   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Was hunting to tank up on the way from hubli till almost haveri.Bad experience.Was surprised to note that there are so few bunks and even they are closed till 6.30 am.
You are so right and hence I mostly advise anyone taking this road in the night to tank up before Dharwad Bypass near the High Court Building. There are quite a few number of 24hrs stations open and well maintained as well.

I learnt this lesson when I continued thinking I'll find some place and had to spend 45 mins in Davanagare town for a station to open (between 5-15am - 6-00am). After this I always ensure to fill it up at Dharwad High court surroundings.

Quote:
Was also surprised to see that the slow traffic moves to left to give way on the right.In TN highways the slow traffic ALWAYS moves in the fast lane....
Couldn't agree with you more on this. They do manage to stick to the slow lane making life and overtaking easier and safer too. Thats the best part I like about the Bangalore-Pune section of NH4. Same is the case between Kolhapur-Pune as well (in the night) as you are given the right to overtake from right with flash of the headlights.

Quote:
Nice road is not smooth any longer .But is a boon for vehicles wanting to avoid BLR traffic.
cheers
I have forgotten smoothness and safety aspects of the NICE road since a few months now. The badly placed barricades with horribly pasted reflective vinyl stickers on them or trucks doing a marathon side by side, or the NICE's very own so called 'Expressway Patrol' doing a 40kmph on the fast lane. Like you said, It only saves our precious time to exit out of the city traffic at any time of the day.

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th October 2010 at 15:43.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:51   #717
BHPian

I am planning to drive down to Navi mumbai this weekend. Planning to leave Bangalore at noon and break the journey at either Hubli or Belgaum. Any good hotel suggestions to stay overnight for a family, preferably on the NH4 along with rates will be very helpful.
Old 26th October 2010, 13:31   #718
BHPian

Amp - I think what he meant was - due to construction work in Peenya - Nelmangala of late many are taking this route - Mekri Circle - Yelahanka - Dodbalapur - Tumkur to reach NH4. But now contruction is almost over. Early morning exit is not an issue but late evenings entry still are

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I could not understand what you meant international airport road. That is NH7 and should never figure in scheme of things.
Old 26th October 2010, 22:07   #719
BHPian

did this trip last week in the Gypsy. Total driving time of around 15 hours.

Did very good time till a little after hubli after which things went down the pooper. The road between Hubli and (i think) Davangiri is only partially done and required me to shift lanes constantly. There was also one railway crossing near ranibennur involving a halt of over 45 minutes.

The worst was entering bangalore. My landlord and friends from this forum told me to take the direct road through town since it was some pooja day and "traffic was very light"! I crossed Neelamangala place around 1615 hours and only reached my place in Jayanagar around 1915 hours! Thats 3 hours in Bangalore traffic through the regular route! The area around Yeshwantpur station in particular had bumper to bumper traffic requiring me to crawl through.
Old 26th October 2010, 22:34   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
There was also one railway crossing near ranibennur involving a halt of over 45 minutes.
Indeed a shocker. The maximum I have waited is 25 mins. Which is good enough time. If we Parag could tell us the morning timings and afternoon downtimes for railway crossings it'll be good for the community. I'm sure he might have that info as well, like the inch by inch report on the rest of NH4 . As far as I remember it was 8:30-ish. But if train is running out of schedule then may God be with us.
Quote:
The worst was entering bangalore. My landlord and friends from this forum told me to take the direct road through town since it was some pooja day and "traffic was very light"! I crossed Neelamangala place around 1615 hours and only reached my place in Jayanagar around 1915 hours! Thats 3 hours in Bangalore traffic through the regular route! The area around Yeshwantpur station in particular had bumper to bumper traffic requiring me to crawl through.
I encountered the exact same experience when I first entered Bangalore w/o taking the NICE detour towards south Bangalore. I took around 3 hours as well and mentioned on this thread somewhere. Nothing says welcome to Bangalore more than this dude!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks