Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 10:52   #856
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Mumbai Roadtrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I made the trip to Mumbai yesterday.
Left Bangalore at 4 am sharp. Reached Ranebennur at 8 am and Kolhapur at 12:30 pm. Pune was touched at around 4pm, Panvel at 5:45 pm and I was in Mulund, Mumbai at 6:30pm. Total travel time: 14.5 hours with 1 hour break. Maintained a constant speed of 90-100kmph throughout most part of the journey.
Forget to update on my return journey. I returned to Bangalore from Mumbai on 23rd July.

The return journey was smoother.Total travel time was 13 hours with breaks. Much lesser than the previous journey. The car's run-in period was over and I could rip it on the highway. Got a mileage of about 18kmpl inspite of the free run!

Left Mumbai at 4:00 AM, was stopped by police on the eastern express highway due to the heightened security after the blasts. I think they were checking all outstation vehicles. Hit a traffic jam in the ghats just before Lonavala on the Mumbai-Pune e-way. A truck had been charred completely on one of the steep slopes!

Touched Pune at 6:00 AM, went non-stop till just before Kolhapur. Stopped at Sai resorts for breakfast at 8:30 AM. I'd say it was ok. Ordered masala dosa. The sambar and chutney was not good at all. Tasted like they were from the day earlier! The toilets were excellent though. Need to mention that the toilet attendant was very happy to help me with the soap and tissues. Pleasantly surprised with his enthusiasm!

Crossed Kolhapur at 9:15 AM. In the ghats before Satara, was again stuck with slow moving traffic. Crossed Hubli before 12:00 PM, reached Tumkur at around 3:30 PM and then the slow traffic began. Although it was better than the peak hour traffic. Reached my home in Indiranagar at exactly 5:00 PM. I did not stop for lunch. I was alone and was munching and drinking juice all along so was not hungry or tired.

The roads were good throughout. This time, I could see the semi-marked speed breakers before Chitradurga. Faced no issues anywhere else. All toll booths were less crowded inspite of it being a Sunday. The railway overbridge at Ranibennur, I am guessing, should be ready in a matter of months.

Last edited by nileshch : 9th August 2011 at 10:59.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 16:46   #857
BHPian

Guys,

1. Any toll for bikes (Bangalore - Pune - Pashan Lake area), except NICE road?

2. Which is the longest stretch on this road with no bunks inbetween!?
(Assuming, I am wanting to bypass all the cities in between).

3. Are the Petrol bunks attached to the main NH4?
(I see, on google maps, that I have to drive towards a city to get to bunks!)

My bike is Yamaha- Fz 16 ( range 400 kms ~ from full tank to reserve - But, I intend to tank up at next bunk I see at 350+kms each time)

Any other pointers?

I have already noted down the Ranebannur (monster) humps, and some bad patch ahead of Henur.

Thanks,

Ace.
Old 9th August 2011, 23:03   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
The roads were good throughout. This time, I could see the semi-marked speed breakers before Chitradurga.
Just to correct myself. Looked up in Google maps and discovered that these speed-breakers are in a village called Kakol just before (if you are coming from Mumbai) or just after Ranebennur railway bridge diversion (if you are coming from Bangalore). Since the village appears on a slight curve of the NH4, the speed-breakers, though very clearly visible, seem to hit you out of nowhere.

Last edited by nileshch : 9th August 2011 at 23:06.
Old 9th August 2011, 23:38   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
1. Any toll for bikes (Bangalore - Pune - Pashan Lake area), except NICE road?
hmm.. good point. i don't seem to have seen two wheelers stop at the tolls. remember how we passed through the side lane on the trial run? i think you can pass along the toll that way. lucky you; i ended up paying Rs.700+ one way in toll money when i went by car!

Quote:
2. Which is the longest stretch on this road with no bunks inbetween!?
(Assuming, I am wanting to bypass all the cities in between).
don't remember. i think there are petrol bunks at regular intervals. no cities in between (i mean NH4 doesn't pass through one); you'll have to get off the NH4 to get into a city.

Quote:
3. Are the Petrol bunks attached to the main NH4?
(I see, on google maps, that I have to drive towards a city to get to bunks!)
there are petrol bunks on the NH4, but many of them are in the service lanes, which means you gotta keep your eye on the sign boards and get off the NH4 (and into the service lane).

Quote:
Any other pointers?
since you'll be travelling at night, keep an eye out for the horizontal markings followed closely by a bunch of reflectors on the road - this means you're approaching an intersection. most of these don't have speed breakers, but some do. so watch out.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 9th August 2011 at 23:41.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 21:44   #860
BHPian

I plan to drive from Pune to Bangalore around Diwali and request the Bangalore experts to guide me on the following:

(a) Plan to leave Pune around 12 noon and halt overnight at Sankam in Belgaum. According to my recollection, the exit under the first Belgaum flyover will not be the correct one to take for Sankam, since this one joins the Bauxite Road which goes on to join the Amboli Road. So is there a second / third flyover under which I can exit and come to Sankam which is just a few meters away from the highway on the right hand side coming from Pune.

(b) If I decide to carry on till Hubli, is there a good hotel like Sankam in Hubli near the highway? This would reduce the travel time to Banglore on the next day.

(c) I have never travelled to Bangalore before and need to reach HSR Layout. What will be the entry point at Bangalore - is it the Neelamnagaly Flyover. I would greatly appreciate detailed directions to reach HSR layout without having to battle too much against Bangalore traffic which I have heard so much about
Old 28th August 2011, 09:19   #861
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
(b) If I decide to carry on till Hubli, is there a good hotel like Sankam in Hubli near the highway? This would reduce the travel time to Banglore on the next day.
Hotel Hoysala, Pune-Bangalore Road, Opposite Kittel College, Dharwad - 580001. Telephone: 0836 2445627/9. Don't take Dharwad-Hubli bypass. You have to go into Dharwad city to access this hotel located on old Pune-Bangalore road.
Quote:
(c) I have never travelled to Bangalore before and need to reach HSR Layout. What will be the entry point at Bangalore - is it the Neelamnagaly Flyover.
Please take the NICE Ring Road after Nelamangala flyover by going on the entry ramp on the left side of NH 4. Pay toll till Hosur road. On Hosur Road, take left exit ramp, go towards Bangalore city and you will reach HSR Layout below the Silk Board flyover on RHS.
  (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 13:47   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Hotel Hoysala, Pune-Bangalore Road, Opposite Kittel College, Dharwad - 580001. Telephone: 0836 2445627/9. Don't take Dharwad-Hubli bypass. You have to go into Dharwad city to access this hotel located on old Pune-Bangalore road.

Please take the NICE Ring Road after Nelamangala flyover by going on the entry ramp on the left side of NH 4. Pay toll till Hosur road. On Hosur Road, take left exit ramp, go towards Bangalore city and you will reach HSR Layout below the Silk Board flyover on RHS.
Thanks Ravi for your inputs. Can anyone on the forum please guide me on my first question, i.e. for getting to Hotel Sankam in Belgaum which is the Belgaum exit I should take, i.e. first,second, third etc.

Dr.Kumar or Sahir, please help
Old 29th August 2011, 07:04   #863
BHPian

Quote:
I plan to drive from Pune to Bangalore around Diwali and request the Bangalore experts to guide me on the following:

(a) Plan to leave Pune around 12 noon and halt overnight at Sankam in Belgaum. According to my recollection, the exit under the first Belgaum flyover will not be the correct one to take for Sankam, since this one joins the Bauxite Road which goes on to join the Amboli Road. So is there a second / third flyover under which I can exit and come to Sankam which is just a few meters away from the highway on the right hand side coming from Pune.
Sunil, You can see the Sankam (red color) board from the NH4, it will be on your right side. This is further ahead of the exit to Bauxite Road. Once you notice the hotel on your right, your see a cut on your left side of the road which is a service road. The service road will be take you below the NH4 where you can take a U turn & come on the other side of NH4 (same side as Sankam). You can use the same underpass if you have to rejoin the NH4 towards BLR from Sankam.
lavish_n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 19:32   #864
BHPian

@lavish_n: Thanks a ton for the detailed instructions. One more question, if I carry on to Hubli, is there any decent hotel of Sankam standard near the highway for taking an overnight halt? Guidance would be much appreciated.
Old 30th August 2011, 00:13   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@lavish_n: Thanks a ton for the detailed instructions. One more question, if I carry on to Hubli, is there any decent hotel of Sankam standard near the highway for taking an overnight halt? Guidance would be much appreciated.
We stayed at Hotel Ayodhya in Hubli. Ask for the old bus stand. The hotel is right opposite to it. The tariff is Rs. 1000 - Rs. 1600. The hotel has guarded parking.

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-1-hotel_ayodhya.jpg

We have also stayed in Hotel Basant, which is also very near to the bypass.
Chevy_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 08:24   #866
BHPian

Planning to leave Bangalore by 6 today evening. Thinking of taking a break in Chitradurga, which I am assuming, we will reach in 4 hours. Any known decent hotel which can be considered? Have done several trips to Pune, but never taken a break in Chitradurga. Any other suggestions also welcome.
Thanks.
Old 30th August 2011, 10:05   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi.Knight View Post
Planning to leave Bangalore by 6 today evening. Thinking of taking a break in Chitradurga, which I am assuming, we will reach in 4 hours. Any known decent hotel which can be considered? Have done several trips to Pune, but never taken a break in Chitradurga. Any other suggestions also welcome.
Thanks.
The ones recommended by fellow TBHP is Hotel Ravi Mayur International. It will come on the left side of the NH4. The hotel is half km after you pass the NH13 right turn. Landmark will be Police station & Chinmuladri School on your right side. Approx a 1 Km from the BPC Petrol Pump on your right.
I have noticed couple of new hotels also on the NH4 but has not seen any review or feedback so cannot comment if it would be good.
There are lot of schools on both sides of the NH4 so keep a watch.
Drive safe.
Old 30th August 2011, 10:08   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavish_n View Post
The ones recommended by fellow TBHP is Hotel Ravi Mayur International. It will come on the left side of the NH4. The hotel is half km after you pass the NH13 right turn. Landmark will be Police station & Chinmuladri School on your right side. Approx a 1 Km from the BPC Petrol Pump on your right.
I have noticed couple of new hotels also on the NH4 but has not seen any review or feedback so cannot comment if it would be good.
There are lot of schools on both sides of the NH4 so keep a watch.
Drive safe.
Thanks for the quick update. Will post the report on reaching Pune
Old 30th August 2011, 20:11   #869
BHPian

@Chevy_lover - thanks for your help. Will see how much distance we can cover on Day 1 and then take a call whether to halt at Belgaum
Old 31st August 2011, 16:27   #870
BHPian

As posted erlier, took a night halt in Chitradurga. Had booked a room in Hotel Ravi Mayur International. But on reaching, found the hotel a bit uninviting.
Then found another place, Hotel Naveen Regency. Had a look at the room first before confirmng. Room was big with clean WC. Booked the non AC double occupancy (Superior) room for Rs. 990. They have 2 restaurants, veg and a seperate non-veg restaurant. This place is on the highway just before Hotel Ravi Mayur International (from Bangalore).

Road condition till Pune is good in almost all the places. Traffic was a pain. The rain god accompanied us all the way to Pune.
Jedi.Knight is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks