Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 20:05   #961
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Mumbai Roadtrip

Some help here folks: We are doing BLR-PUNE-NASIK (Devlali) this weekend. We intend to stay overnight in Pune and head to Nasik next morning.

Someone said the NH50 (via Sangamner) bit from Pune to Devlali isn't in very good shape. And recommend we take the Pune-Kalyan-Nasik (NH3) route. This adds about 80km to the journey.

Anyone done the Pune-Nasik NH50 recently? Is the condition still bad enough that we take the longer route home via Nh50?
Old 19th October 2011, 12:08   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post
Anyone done the Pune-Nasik NH50 recently? Is the condition still bad enough that we take the longer route home via Nh50?
The road surface is not bad per se, but it is 2 laned highway for most part but with a heavy traffic during the day. It increases travel time substantially. I'd advise to start at about 4 am from Pune to avoid traffic.

There are separate threads for Pune Nashik travel on the forum. Search for the same.
shipnil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 12:31   #963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post
Some help here folks: We are doing BLR-PUNE-NASIK (Devlali) this weekend. We intend to stay overnight in Pune and head to Nasik next morning.

Someone said the NH50 (via Sangamner) bit from Pune to Devlali isn't in very good shape. And recommend we take the Pune-Kalyan-Nasik (NH3) route. This adds about 80km to the journey.

NH50 isnt all that bad for you to consider going via Kalyan.You can stick to the NH50 from Pune.Some bad stretches here and there,but nothign alarming between Pune & Sangamner.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 17:20   #964
BHPian

Yesterday, did the Bangalore-Mumbai trip. All highway roads are in great condition.

I was lucky not to get any major traffic jams, except in Bangalore! Got stuck in a jam on Tumkur road at Yeshwanthpur for 25 minutes at 3:50am .

However, after that the complete journey was tension-free, barring the city twisties (through the two & three wheelers) in Pune and Mumbai.

Fellow TBHPian @praful was also driving to Mumbai yesterday and we synced up periodically on each other's position. We met once at Kamat, Ranebennur.

Since I am on holiday and have ample time to while away, here are the numbers and some PHB analysis: Result - Karnataka roads give you more bang for the buck. Kind of offsets the exhorbitant road tax!

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-screen-shot-20111023-5.19.29-pm.png
nileshch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 17:35   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Yesterday, did the Bangalore-Mumbai trip. All highway roads are in great condition.

I was lucky not to get any major traffic jams, except in Bangalore! Got stuck in a jam on Tumkur road at Yeshwanthpur for 25 minutes at 3:50am .

However, after that the complete journey was tension-free, barring the city twisties (through the two & three wheelers) in Pune and Mumbai.

Fellow TBHPian @praful was also driving to Mumbai yesterday and we synced up periodically on each other's position. We met once at Kamat, Ranebennur.

Since I am on holiday and have ample time to while away, here are the numbers and some PHB analysis: Result - Karnataka roads give you more bang for the buck. Kind of offsets the exhorbitant road tax!

Attachment 831274
Your diagram shows time spent in KA was more than MH. The distance on NH4 in KA is about 600 km and in MH 400 km and the roads are better and less crowded. so how come you spent more time in KA?
Old 23rd October 2011, 18:03   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Your diagram shows time spent in KA was more than MH. The distance on NH4 in KA is about 600 km and in MH 400 km and the roads are better and less crowded. so how come you spent more time in KA?
Well, yes, it's true. 200km is a large difference anyway. I spent approx. 8.5 hours in KA and 5.5 hours in Maharashtra. I think the time spent is skewed a little in favour of MH due to the Mumbai-Pune expressway. Plus I enjoyed the KA drive and hurried through MH

Last edited by nileshch : 23rd October 2011 at 18:10.
Old 27th October 2011, 19:13   #967
Team-BHP Support

How is the traffic early morning entering from Bangalore side on the
elevated road? Still worth taking NICE road or good to go through the city?
(I am talking about 5AM time lines)
Old 27th October 2011, 19:26   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not much traffic at 5 in the morning. Good to go through the city. Also depends on where you are heading to. You can use the ORR depending on your destination.
shekhar_gogoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 09:25   #969
BHPian

Quote:
If you have the option to take the NICE road, please do so. The Yeshwantpur stretch is pretty bad in shape and last time (last Saturday) I went through in the morning, I got stuck in a jam for 25 minutes. This was 3:50am! Of course, jams are unpredictable and you might sail through without a problem too.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 11:59   #970
BHPian

Quote:
From 5AM onwards all the buses will converge at yeshwant pur. Bus in which my mother was travelling got stuck at ORR, Yeshwantpur junction for almost 30 mins @ 5AM previous week. FYI...
Selective is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 12:32   #971
BHPian

Hi Guys, is there any good place between Pune & Mumbai, just for overnight stay? I am doing a Bangalore - Ajmer trip starting 11th Nov Mid-night, Plane to stay near Pune & Ahmedabad during the trip.
Old 28th October 2011, 12:57   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Hi Guys, is there any good place between Pune & Mumbai, just for overnight stay? I am doing a Bangalore - Ajmer trip starting 11th Nov Mid-night, Plane to stay near Pune & Ahmedabad during the trip.
You will have to go into Lonavla/Khandala - off the eway - to find a hotel. I would suggest you go on to Bombay and stay at either Hotel Venkat residency (at end of eway in Kalamboli), Hotel 3 Star (Kharghar, New Bombay) or Hotel Fountain (Ghodbunder, beyond Bombay/Thane, on NH8)
Old 28th October 2011, 13:01   #973
BHPian

Quote:
@Nilesh
You seems to be doing average 90/110 speeds. I suppose you reached Belgaum around 10:00 am that would be 550 Kms in approx 6 hrs.

I plan for the BLR~BOM~BLR during X'mas with family, do let me know if you planning for another run.

Cheers!
Old 28th October 2011, 13:34   #974
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This was 3:50am! Of course, jams are unpredictable and you might sail through without a problem too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
Bus in which my mother was travelling got stuck at ORR, Yeshwantpur junction for almost 30 mins @ 5AM previous week. FYI...
Thanks guys.
I think NICE road still has value in that case!
Old 5th November 2011, 16:33   #975
BHPian

Completed the much planned and awaited (first ever for me) Pune-BLR-Pune trip on 31st Oct. Excellent roads throughout. Was caught in a ferocious rainstorm just after entering NICE Road on the way to BLR on 25th Oct, and had to actually halt the car on the side till the fury abated.

My special thanks to the following team bhpians, due to whose directions the entire route right upto Silk Board Flyover was absolutely imprinted on my brain, and I managed to astonish my wife with forecast of turnings, flyovers, diversions, et al. Post nos given along side:

lavish_n # 863 - for explicit directions on locating Hotel Sankam Belgaum from NH4

binand # 913 - for directions on NICE Road to Silk Board flyover

fauji # 915 (to whom I also had the pleasure of talking on phone in BLR) - for hints regarding entry point to NICE Road from Neelmangala side

Chevylover - for his snaps in his Munnar Travelogue showing clearly entry to NICE Road from Neelmangala side

ajithbr # 920 - for bringing crystal clarity to NICE road entry and exit systems

prabhuferrari # 923 and ajithbr # 928 - for directions on re-entry to NICE Road on the return leg

J.Ravi # 937 - for locations of Kamat Upachar outlets along the way.

If I have missed out anyone, please forgive me but thanks all the same.

Once again hats off to all you great guys for a memorable experience
suniladhiya is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks