Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:44   #991
J.Ravi

Re: Bangalore to Mumbai Roadtrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Can anyone pin point the location of these speed breakers so that we are not surprised by them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
These speedbreakers are between Davanagere and Chitradurga but they are signaged and not sudden.
If it's between Chitradurga and Davanagere, then it must be Bharamasagara! My Linea bottom-scraped once last year. This year, I was doubly careful and had smooth-sailing!
  (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:57   #992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone pin point the location of these speed breakers so that we are not surprised by them? Planning mumbai bangy on 22- 23 Dec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
If it's between Chitradurga and Davanagere, then it must be Bharamasagara! My Linea bottom-scraped once last year. This year, I was doubly careful and had smooth-sailing!

Absolutely correct Ravi. I forgot the name.

Goandude, this is mid way between Davanagere and Chitradurga
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:37   #993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely correct Ravi. I forgot the name.

Goandude, this is mid way between Davanagere and Chitradurga
thanks, you mean here davangere - Google Maps

What about the big one at the 2nd ROB after haveri?
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:39   #994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone pin point the location of these speed breakers so that we are not surprised by them? Planning mumbai bangy on 22- 23 Dec.
This is my best-guess effort. No guarantees!

If you are coming from Mumbai, then watch out for this location:

14.690066N, 75.53376E

If you look at this location in Google Maps/Satellite view, you will see a signboard that spans the entire width of NH4. This signboard announces 13km to Ranebennur and 51km to Davengere. This is the point from which you have to be careful - the first speedbreaker appears approximately 1km from this spot, and there were a total of 5 from here till Davengere.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:39   #995
BHPian

There are at least a couple of speed breakers between Belgaum and Hubli as well.
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:09   #996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks, you mean here davangere - Google Maps

What about the big one at the 2nd ROB after haveri?
Yes. You can see the road taking a bend and it is at this place. It also happens to be a prominent place for local busses to stop. You won't miss it unless you are driving really fast which generally happenes on NH 4
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:18   #997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
There are at least a couple of speed breakers between Belgaum and Hubli as well.
Have addressed these as below:

Bangalore-Pune section-

First set: Between Chitradurga and Davanagere

Starts after approximately 23-24 Kms once you cross the last point of Chitradurga town (A Lamp post from after the lake).

There were almost 2 speed-breakers at Bhramhasagara but they have removed them (towards Pune) but one still needs get extra cautious when approaching this place.

After this there are quite a few till one reaches Davanagere.

Second Set:Near Hirebagewadi toll.

There is just one speedbreaker when you are approximately 3-4 Kms before Hirebagewadi toll. This one is a really small one and the best hint for this is when you spot Flashing orange light on the median (and this speedbreaker is just about 200 meters after that).

Pune-Bangalore section:

First set: Near Hirebagewadi toll
As soon as you pay toll at Hirebagewadi toll, slow down after 3-4 kms and you will pass over a speedbreaker. Easy hint again is the flashing orange lamp post.

Second Set: After Shiggaon town (Debut)

After 2-3 kms once you cross Shiggaon town, a new one has come up which is actually a big one. As of Nov 06th, there were no signs for this.

Third set: Near Harihar Entrance

You see that the road forks into Y and traffic towards Bangalore is allowed to only take the left of this fork. Just before the fork, you will see a signboard running all across the road above you indicating distances and directions for Harihar, Davanagere and Bangalore. The speedbreaker is exactly under this signboard.

Third set: Between Davanagere and Chitradurga.

These exists at various places including Bhramhasagara. The best way to spot them and slow down are the following signs-

(a) Lots of go slow, 30kmph signs in white background and black fonts existing on one place on the median and left side of the road.

(b) Yellow Triangular (not sure on this shape) signs at the same place indicating a speedbreaker sign in black.

Hence, if you spot a cluster of these warning signs in one spot, its time to release your foot off the throttle.

Note : Updates from my Bangalore-Gujarat drive between OCT 22 and NOV 06.

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd December 2011 at 15:20.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 17:06   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Have addressed these as below:
Thanks parag, I'm sure this will be useful to those who do the trip not so frequently. I will try to mark them exactly on my forthcoming trip
Old 2nd December 2011, 17:51   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is my best-guess effort. No guarantees!

If you are coming from Mumbai, then watch out for this location:

14.690066N, 75.53376E

If you look at this location in Google Maps/Satellite view, you will see a signboard that spans the entire width of NH4. This signboard announces 13km to Ranebennur and 51km to Davengere. This is the point from which you have to be careful - the first speedbreaker appears approximately 1km from this spot, and there were a total of 5 from here till Davengere.
Quote:
@goandude

There it is. This is probably as accurate as one could get for the first one.
I was specifically keeping a look out and still it managed to surprise me.

Quote:
These speedbreakers are between Davanagere and Chitradurga but they are signaged and not sudden. This stretch is so good many of us overspeed on this thereby missing the signs.
To the best of my knowledge there wasnt any sign for the first one when i travelled in Oct 11. If they have put up one subsequently then it is good for everyone. The first one rattled me up quite a bit, if i rememeber correctly it is bang in the middle of nowhere! The remaining ones have those small inverted triangles which basically ask one to slow down. There are many of them on the road and some of them are for these speed breakers. Also do watch out for wrong side entrants near harihar bypass. Drive safe and preferably not at night in this specific stretch - davangere-chitradurga

ps: I have heard that the speed breakers in this section have come up because of some fatal accidents involving some high profile personalities. Not a 100% sure of the authencity though.
Old 13th December 2011, 09:35   #1000
BHPian

Request inputs from Bangaloreans. I am likely to travel from Mumbai to Langford Gardens (Shanti Nagar) this month end. While coming from NH4 after crossing Madanayakahalli I have two options
The first option is to go straight to Yeshwantapur into the city which I guess is about 27 kms from Madanyakalli.

Another option is to take the NICE Ring road and either get into the city from the Magadi road or
Mysore road exit or

- even go upto Hosur road and then take the longer route via Bangalore Elevated Tollway near Electronic City.

While the electronic city route is a very long route of about 52 km, just want to know whether during evening peak hour traffic between 6 to 8pm, whether the first option is still preferable instead of going all the way via NICE road. Thanks.

Last edited by INNOWAGON_CL : 13th December 2011 at 09:37. Reason: font size
Old 13th December 2011, 09:57   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOWAGON_CL View Post
Request inputs from Bangaloreans. I am likely to travel from Mumbai to Langford Gardens (Shanti Nagar) this month end. While coming from NH4 after crossing Madanayakahalli I have two options
The first option is to go straight to Yeshwantapur into the city which I guess is about 27 kms from Madanyakalli.

Another option is to take the NICE Ring road and either get into the city from the Magadi road or
Mysore road exit or

- even go upto Hosur road and then take the longer route via Bangalore Elevated Tollway near Electronic City.

While the electronic city route is a very long route of about 52 km, just want to know whether during evening peak hour traffic between 6 to 8pm, whether the first option is still preferable instead of going all the way via NICE road. Thanks.
Going via Yeshwantpur is much much better instead of NICE Road. You will have to fight with evening traffic from Electronic city all the way from BETL exit to Langford road if you chose NICE road.

Last edited by coolclouds : 13th December 2011 at 09:58.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 16:35   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Going via Yeshwantpur is much much better instead of NICE Road. You will have to fight with evening traffic from Electronic city all the way from BETL exit to Langford road if you chose NICE road.
In the evening Yeshwantpur area gets very crowded and the traffic jam is severe. You have traffic coming from elevated road as well as the old NH4 converging onto a 2 lane under the metro construction, where pillars have blocked the already narrow road. In fact I found the jam at 9:30 pm while expecting it to be less at that time.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 16:45   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the evening Yeshwantpur area gets very crowded and the traffic jam is severe. You have traffic coming from elevated road as well as the old NH4 converging onto a 2 lane under the metro construction, where pillars have blocked the already narrow road. In fact I found the jam at 9:30 pm while expecting it to be less at that time.
More or less same is the situation in Bangalore South. You may sometimes stuck in very long traffic jams at Garvepalya, Bommanahalli, Silkboard, Forum etc in addition to extra kms.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 19:25   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOWAGON_CL View Post
just want to know whether during evening peak hour traffic between 6 to 8pm, whether the first option is still preferable instead of going all the way via NICE road.
Boy, aren't you SOL. It doesn't really matter - 6-8PM on Bangalore roads is hell. Even getting onto the NICE road will be a pain for you. See if you can delay your entry to the city by 2-3 hours. I think a 5AM start from Mumbai, aiming to reach at around 11PM in Bangalore, would work well (you'll bypass Pune also before traffic builds up).
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 09:31   #1005
BHPian

Thanks Folks. Your inputs definitely helps in planning the road trip better. An early morning start is always preferable when leaving Mumbai or any major city in India during weekdays if we are to avoid office goers or holiday traffic during weekends within cities and their suburbs. Since it is nearing the end of month of December, I guess we may have to also encounter some foggy conditions till the sun is up in some places such as Lonavala Ghat section enroute to Pune. During my earlier trip, I recollect finding a few trucks that were stranded on the right lane in the ghat roads without any blinkers or reflectors enroute to Pune when it was dark. (It made me realise that we should upgrade the car's headlamps with extra wattage (white colour) instead of the usual yellow colour headlamps if we have to travel on highways during the night.)

Last edited by INNOWAGON_CL : 15th December 2011 at 09:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks