Old 27th February 2012, 17:52   #1081
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>
nekfar,

How do you do?

Since you have done the Bombay Bangalore run recently, I am curious to know the following from you :

1. The speeds that you were able to maintain on the segments ( I mean safe driving speeds)
2. Details on stopovers for breakfast, lunch etc., etc.
3. Any stretches where one has to drive (extra) carefully due to bad road and/or traffic conditions

Thank you
issigonis
Issigonis,

thanks for inquiring.
I believe Fauji and Parag have answered your queries. however, let me give you my experience
1. It depends on your car My average driving speed over the whole distance was 80-90 kmph in a fiesta.
As I started early, Bombay to Pune was quick cruising at 110 kmph). Once I crossed Pune, the speed reduced drastically till kolhapur. Avg speed 75-80 kmph
i have two reasons for that :
a) heavy two wheeler traffic near major towns of satara, karad, K'pur etc.
b) being the new year weekend, it seems good number of Punites was heading to Goa.

After crossing the MH-KA border, the speed defintely increases due to less traffic and better road conditions. At certain stretches you could touch 140 kmph viz. Kolhapur - Belgaum, Hubli-haveri-Ranebennur, Chitradurga- Sira-tumkur. however, I dont consider this speed as safe (in some cars it may be but defintely not in my Fiesta). I drove at speed of 110-120 kmph.

After Tumkur, as I entered Bangalore traffic understandbly increased. add to that it was raining due to cyclonis weather in Bay of Bengal.

2. I stopped for B/f at Mac near BPCL COCO after Khedshivapur toll. Had my lunch in the outskirts of Ranebennur . I think it was Deol's dhaba. I was recommeded by a petrol pump attendant when i refuelled near Ranebennur. I had hoped they serve non-veg. however did not regret their good veg food. you would find a lot of truckies there.

3. You should be careful driving in Pune-satara-kolhapur stretch, due to heavy two wheeler movement.
Also slow down between Dharwad-Hubli two lane stretch. It is our general tendency to be fast on this road owing to us being in momentum from the good four lanes on either sides of the towns.
there is a lot of road widening, underpass constructions happening at many points viz. Chitradurga-sira, Belgaum-Hubi etc. be careful while you drive close to sunset or at night.
Old 27th February 2012, 20:10   #1082
BHPian

Even though my fellow bhpians have stated that they had driven at speeds of 100 plus in certain stretches, I would not recommend the same.

If we are so much hurry to reach our destination, it is better to take a flight rather than drive so fast on Indian roads.

I drove from Mumbai to Coimbatore and return twice and I find that if we maintain speeds between 80 to 90 kmph most of the time, we can cover the distance comfortably without getting tired.

As regards food outlets, from Mumbai to Bangalore journey, we may have breakfast at Kailash Parbat outlet after Talegoan Toll booth on the Expressway (at the BP COCO) or the Macdonald Outlet after Khedshivapur toll booth. Or else, if the start is very early morning then, at Sai Veg restaurant 30kms before Kolhapur. Lunch options are few as I found the Kamat at Sira is the only reasonable option. The Kamat after Hubli-Dharwad byepass or Hotel Genesis have deteriorated in their food quality standards (as I found out during my last trip in December 2011.) Sankam Regency at Belgaum may be too early for lunch.

On the return direction I found Hotel Garuda pathetic for the food they dished out. Sankam Regency at Belgaum seems to be best food option before Kolhapur.

Last edited by INNOWAGON_CL : 27th February 2012 at 20:31.
INNOWAGON_CL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 20:25   #1083
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOWAGON_CL View Post
Even though my fellow bhpians have stated that they had driven at speeds of 100 plus in certain stretches, I would not recommend the same.

If we are so much hurry to reach our destination, it is better to take a flight rather than drive so fast on Indian roads.

I drove from Mumbai to Coimbatore and return twice and I find that if we maintain speeds between 80 to 90 kmph most of the time, we can cover the distance comfortably without getting tired.

As regards food outlets, from Mumbai to Bangalore journey, we may have breakfast at Kailash Parbat outlet after Talegoan Toll booth on the Expressway or the Macdonald Outlet after Khedshivapur toll booth. Or else, if the start is very early morning then, at Sai Veg restaurant 30kms before Kolhapur. Lunch options are few as I found the Kamat at Sira is the only reasonable option. Sankam at Belgaum may be too early for lunch.

On the return direction I found Hotel Garuda pathetic for the food they dished out. Sankam Regency at Belgaum seems to be best food option before Kolhapur.
Agree with you. In fact maintaining a speed between 80-100kmph will still make you reach your destination and also help get a good average speed and yet not make the whole journey tiresome. After all, we are taking about a journey spanning 1000kms and presumably a single driver.

I started to do Bangalore-Pune runs way back in 2006 when the roads were still in bad shape with all the diversions. I have experimented starting at almost all the possible times from either ends and have done regular all night drives as well. I have noticed that sticking to these speeds works the best and results in very less fatigue. In the end, you would also get a better FE as bonus. For that matter, you would still have the same car either ahead of you or behind you at the very next toll booth or you both may as well share neighboring tables at the next restaurant.

Also, It really depends on what one wants to avoid so that you can start accordingly. Is that the messy Kolhapur-Pune section or the truckers and night buses after Chitradurga till Bangalore? likewise, there will be so many things to consider but the best is to start very early morning and if at all it permits, do it on a week day.

Surprised on your experience with Garuda. I have so far stopped there twice (Breakfast and dinner) and have had good experience after knocking off Ghar at Renebennur for their pathetic breakfast. I guess, we don't have much choice when we are on this road and as you mention, Sankam remains the best option if time is suitable for Dinner or Lunch.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 20:57   #1084
BHPian

>>>

Thank you for all your insightful comments on the driving conditions and the eating options on the NH4 between Bombay to Bangalore.

I will most likely cover the distance in a relaxed manner by going upto Hubli on day 1 and then proceeding to Bangalore the next day. That way I can accelerate when the conditions (road, traffic, light) are favourable and cruise when it is not required to take risks. I might be tempted to breakfast at Ginger Wakad off Poona, as I have always found it to be good, lunch possibly at McDonalds, off Kolhapur and then possibly tea in Belgaum somewhere enroute to dinner in the hotel in Hubli. (Any nice, that is clean hotels that you might like to recommend in Hubli?).

I am just back and I find driving at over 30 kmph in Bombay's road and traffic conditions absolutely terrifying and will need some time to get acclimatised.

I am fine at the cruising speeds that you mention. The trouble is all roads is India have free access and there is no knowing when a goat, or a cyclist, or a small child runs across a seemingly deserted stretch. So one can has to be extra careful at all times.

Regards
Old 28th February 2012, 10:28   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Also, It really depends on what one wants to avoid so that you can start accordingly. Is that the messy Kolhapur-Pune section or the truckers and night buses after Chitradurga till Bangalore? likewise, there will be so many things to consider but the best is to start very early morning and if at all it permits, do it on a week day.
Very true. If you are worried about the messy Kolhapur Pune section especially when coming from Bangalore, you should avoid weekends. I have spent so much time struggling to move at the Khedshivapur toll plaza (and in general all MH toll plazas) on a Saturday. It is a breeze during the weekdays. In fact, you would save almost a couple of hours of time if you drive on a weekday.

Another thing -- If you start early morning (4/4:30am) and keep an average of 90-110kmph in the fast sections, you are sure to reach the other end at most by 7 pm.
Old 28th February 2012, 11:41   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
>>>

Thank you for all your insightful comments on the driving conditions and the eating options on the NH4 between Bombay to Bangalore.

I will most likely cover the distance in a relaxed manner by going upto Hubli on day 1 and then proceeding to Bangalore the next day. That way I can accelerate when the conditions (road, traffic, light) are favourable and cruise when it is not required to take risks. I might be tempted to breakfast at Ginger Wakad off Poona, as I have always found it to be good, lunch possibly at McDonalds, off Kolhapur and then possibly tea in Belgaum somewhere enroute to dinner in the hotel in Hubli. (Any nice, that is clean hotels that you might like to recommend in Hubli?).

I am just back and I find driving at over 30 kmph in Bombay's road and traffic conditions absolutely terrifying and will need some time to get acclimatised.

I am fine at the cruising speeds that you mention. The trouble is all roads is India have free access and there is no knowing when a goat, or a cyclist, or a small child runs across a seemingly deserted stretch. So one can has to be extra careful at all times.

Regards
Sankam Residency in Belgaum bypass is the best, forget all the McDs & Gingers.

Hubli is too close a target! I would rather leave early from Bombay (say, 5ish) to avoid the messy Pune-Kolhapur section.

In Hubli, depending on your budget, try Clark's Inn (swanky, expensive, next to Airport, just off NH4 bypass), Hotel Hans (also expensive, inside Hubli town), Hotel Aydhya (budget, great VFM, next to bus stand, just 5-10 minutes direct off the bypass), Ananth Residency (next to Railway station).
Old 28th February 2012, 12:10   #1087
BHPian

>>>

hvk,

Thank you.
Hubli is about 580-590 kms from Bombay. I thought it would be good place to halt given that Day 2 will be another 430 odd kms to Bangalore. ( I just might have another car or cars driving alongside). Sankam is fine, but if we start at 6 am from home, breakfast will be in another three hours' time- not enough to reach Belgaum (490 kms). The hotel related information is very good. Re. Hotel Adhyay what kind of budget should I have in mind for an overnight stay?

The Poona - Kolhapur section is bad, traffic wise, with most cars and larger vehicles driving on the rightmost lane and if I remember correctly from about 18 months ago, the left lane had a bad/uneven surface, hence the concentration on the right lane.

Where are you driving next?

Regards
Old 28th February 2012, 12:24   #1088
BHPian

I have done PuneBangalore-Pune thrice in 13 months and here is my experience

Latest Road conditions (13 Feb):
Between Pune Satara - both to and fro are not good (road surface)
Satara to Kolhapur stretch is good (cement road) but the return is bad (old tar road).
All other streches are fine and if one keeps eye on signboards speed breakers can be spotted well in advance.

Traffic : Timing does matter
Twice I have done the Pune-Bangalore stretch during day and once during night (full night-out)
At night speeds can be maintained on the higher side as there is next to nil 2 wheeler traffic/ pedestraian traffic.
During the night travel from Pune to Bangalore, after Chitradurga (dont remember exact location), at about 3 AM) there were lot of trucks carring sand (or were they from the mines?) and were very big issue. Speeds that I could maintain were below 80kmph).
Beware of idiots traveling in the fast lane in opposite direction. Happens during day as well as night.

Car : Twice it was civic (once partly loaded 2 adults and other time 5 adults ) and the last time it was Innova. I have to say it does matter between these 2 cars especially if it if fully loaded. Civic, when fully loaded, bottomed out at many undulations on road/ improperly done joins at the begining/end of bridges/flyovers (and I oserve other cars slowing down as well). Innova was in its own league - almost never had to bother about these (with 6 adults onboard). If it had a auto it would have been my car 2 years before!
Old 28th February 2012, 12:45   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
>>>

hvk,

Thank you.
Hubli is about 580-590 kms from Bombay. I thought it would be good place to halt given that Day 2 will be another 430 odd kms to Bangalore. ( I just might have another car or cars driving alongside). Sankam is fine, but if we start at 6 am from home, breakfast will be in another three hours' time- not enough to reach Belgaum (490 kms). The hotel related information is very good. Re. Hotel Adhyay what kind of budget should I have in mind for an overnight stay?
Hotel Ayodhya - expect tariffs below Rs 1,500
Old 5th March 2012, 15:46   #1090
BHPian

>>>

Am considering a one day drive rather than a two day one. If I am able to leave early (5.30 am) and am able to maintain 80 kmph overall excluding halts, I might be able to reach Bangalore around 8.00 pm (?).

Awaiting confirmation on the date from the participants in the convoy!

Regards
Old 5th March 2012, 15:50   #1091
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
>>>

Am considering a one day drive rather than a two day one. If I am able to leave early (5.30 am) and am able to maintain 80 kmph overall excluding halts, I might be able to reach Bangalore around 8.00 pm (?).

Awaiting confirmation on the date from the participants in the convoy!

Regards
80-90-100kmph is definitely going to help you reach by 8-30pm. No doubt about it but please start by 4-00am so that you can easily pass Pune-Kolhapur stretch in peace before the crowd starts gathering on the highway on misc vehicles.
Old 5th March 2012, 15:53   #1092
BHPian

>>>

Let's see. 5.30 am is do-able, 4.30 am might be a bridge too far.
Also one has to be accommodative of the rest of the gang.

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 5th March 2012 at 15:54. Reason: Corrected
Old 5th March 2012, 16:37   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
>>>

Regards
Dada, As Parag suggested, try a 4:30 AM start or should I say a 4:00 AM start (with a 30 min buffer). This will help you really sail through to Kolhapur before the autos/bikes/cycles/Milk vans hit the street not to mention humans at most of the junctions post Pune.

You can drive non-stop and maybe have a breakfast at Mahendra, Satara.

Last edited by f1fan : 5th March 2012 at 16:39.
Old 5th March 2012, 16:57   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
>>>

Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Dada, As Parag suggested, try a 4:30 AM start or should I say a 4:00 AM start (with a 30 min buffer). This will help you really sail through to Kolhapur before the autos/bikes/cycles/Milk vans hit the street not to mention humans at most of the junctions post Pune.

5:30 AM is good enough too. Just did a drive back from Mumbai to Bangalore on 1st March. To give you an approximate idea of the journey timings:
  • 5:30 AM - Started from Mumbai
  • 10:00 AM - 30 minute halt for breakfast at Sai Resort, Kolhapur
  • 1:15 PM - 40 minute halt for lunch at Kamat Upchar, Hubli
  • 4:00 PM - 15 minute halt for fuel topup + tea at Chitradurga
  • 7:30 PM - Reached Bangalore

Though, from my personal experience, that one hour delay in the start (5:30 AM instead of 4:30 AM) translates to a 2 hour delay at the end of the journey!

Last edited by nileshch : 5th March 2012 at 17:02.
Old 5th March 2012, 18:52   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
5:30 AM is good enough too. Just did a drive back from Mumbai to Bangalore on 1st March. To give you an approximate idea of the journey timings:
  • 5:30 AM - Started from Mumbai
  • 10:00 AM - 30 minute halt for breakfast at Sai Resort, Kolhapur
  • 1:15 PM - 40 minute halt for lunch at Kamat Upchar, Hubli
  • 4:00 PM - 15 minute halt for fuel topup + tea at Chitradurga
  • 7:30 PM - Reached Bangalore

Though, from my personal experience, that one hour delay in the start (5:30 AM instead of 4:30 AM) translates to a 2 hour delay at the end of the journey!

>>>

Its likely to be a toss up between 4.30 and 5.30. Depends also on the others - how do you make someone who wakes up regularly at 12 noon to wake up a 4 am so as to leave by 4.30?

I think the traffic issues that you mention happens near Poona on the NH4 to Kolhapur. So the idea must be to pass through that section before 8 am. That means reaching Hinjewadi latest by 7.30 am. Am I correct?

>>>

fifan,

You missed the VCCCI - it was wonderful to see all those not so young beauties - there were 200 odd cars and quite a few bikes too.
Next time perhaps.

>>>

nileshch,

You are right about saving an hour if starting at 4.30 am rather than at 5.30 am. Did you find any particular stretch bad (apart from the traffic issues near Poona)?
A thousand kms in fourteen hours is pretty good - makes in 12 1/2 hours without halts.
Regards

Most Viewed