Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2012, 10:35   #1186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Driving to Pune the coming weekend with wife and kid.
Planning to start from Bangalore at 4:00 AM
plan to reach there by 3:00 PM

I did this route a couple of times in 2010, hope the bad sections are gone now....
Plenty of difference since 2010. There are no Bad sections that you may have encountered then due to underconstruction ROBs and 4 laning between Chitradurga and Haveri. In fact, you now simply glide over the railway over bridges. There have been so many updates on this in the past few pages of this thread.

There are a few diversions now for 6 lane work between Tumkur and Chitradurga and a couple after Dharwad bypass.

Leaving at 4am, you should be easily in Pune outskirts by 3 with ample breaks. It is a normal affair now irrespective of whether you have a car or a super car.

Drive safe!!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 10:53   #1187
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Plenty of difference since 2010. There are no Bad sections that you may have encountered then due to underconstruction ROBs and 4 laning between Chitradurga and Haveri. In fact, you now simply glide over the railway over bridges. There have been so many updates on this in the past few pages of this thread.

There are a few diversions now for 6 lane work between Tumkur and Chitradurga and a couple after Dharwad bypass.

Leaving at 4am, you should be easily in Pune outskirts by 3 with ample breaks. It is a normal affair now irrespective of whether you have a car or a super car.

Drive safe!!
Thanks Parag!
I followed this thread, this is pretty helpful.
What is still a grey area is: will I be able to do speeds of 90 - 110 km/hr between Tumkur and Chitradurga? How much has the 6 laning of the road affecting the existing lanes?
Old 9th July 2012, 11:14   #1188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Thanks Parag!
I followed this thread, this is pretty helpful.
What is still a grey area is: will I be able to do speeds of 90 - 110 km/hr between Tumkur and Chitradurga? How much has the 6 laning of the road affecting the existing lanes?
There are about 6-8 diversions between Tumkur and Chitradurga but the best part about them (unlike earlier) is that you get diverted onto the existing service lanes instead of some makeshift road.

This doesn't consume much time as each diversion is not more than a Kilometer (many shorter than this too) and you are back on the main corridor. 6 lane work on this stretch is in full swing and come up clean as well. Also, driving at 4am, you will be rescued from Private and KSRTC buses at that hour - Imagine overtaking hundreds of them with all those deviations? Hence, life is easier leaving at the time you are and I myself vouch for that time these days.

Again, these diversions may not really eat into your overall time and may affect about 10-15 mins max in worst case.
I drove on 5th May in WagonR and took my usual 3 hours to Davanagere having left Bangalore at 2:30PM on a Saturday.
I again drove on 12th June in a Fiesta and took 2:45mins for Davanagere having started at 4:30am from Bangalore.
Both the timings were same when I compare that with my earlier drives at these times sans diversions. So Yes, you can easily maintain 100-110Kmph on this stretch.

Secondly, all speedbreakers are now flat and you can simply glide between Chitradurga-Davanagere (Please remember the only 2 you need to take care in a previous post of mine on another page).

The other set of diversions are immediately after Dharwad bypass exit (only 2) and will hardly make any difference. From here, all the way till MH Border you should get the max average times.

With this, you will ideally cross Belgaum around 11(max) and Kolhapur at 12:30, Satara at 2:00 and Pune entrance (New Katraj Ghat) by 3pm. The best I have found from my earlier drives about this stretch is that traffic is thin between 1 and 3pm as most of them Would've stopped for lunch while you continue to pass every town minus traffic and each toll booth also has very few vehicles unlike typical queues on a weekend in MH.

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th July 2012 at 11:19.
Old 9th July 2012, 11:22   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
There are about 6-8 diversions between Tumkur and Chitradurga but the best part about them (unlike earlier) is that you get diverted onto the existing service lanes instead of some makeshift road.

This doesn't consume much time as each diversion is not more than a Kilometer (many shorter than this too) and you are back on the main corridor. 6 lane work on this stretch is in full swing and come up clean as well. Also, driving at 4am, you will be rescued from Private and KSRTC buses at that hour - Imagine overtaking hundreds of them with all those deviations? Hence, life is easier leaving at the time you are and I myself vouch for that time these days.

Again, these diversions may not really eat into your overall time and may affect about 10-15 mins max in worst case.
I drove on 5th May in WagonR and took my usual 3 hours to Davanagere having left Bangalore at 2:30PM on a Saturday.
I again drove on 12th June in a Fiesta and took 2:45mins for Davanagere having started at 4:30am from Bangalore.
Both the timings were same when I compare that with my earlier drives at these times sans diversions. So Yes, you can easily maintain 100-110Kmph on this stretch.

Secondly, all speedbreakers are now flat and you can simply glide between Chitradurga-Davanagere (Please remember the only 2 you need to take care in a previous post of mine on another page).

The other set of diversions are immediately after Dharwad bypass exit (only 2) and will hardly make any difference. From here, all the way till MH Border you should get the max average times.

With this, you will ideally cross Belgaum around 11(max) and Kolhapur at 12:30, Satara at 2:00 and Pune entrance (New Katraj Ghat) by 3pm. The best I have found from my earlier drives about this stretch is that traffic is thin between 1 and 3pm as most of them Would've stopped for lunch while you continue to pass every town minus traffic and each toll booth also has very few vehicles unlike typical queues on a weekend in MH.
Thanks Parag for the prompt reply, this will help me in planning things!
evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:11   #1190
BHPian

Hello All, couple of quick questions
While checking the map for Bangalore - Mumbai trip, I see two potential routes. The first one is most discussed route. Bangalore > Chitradurga > Davanagere > Hubli > Kohlapur > Pune > Mumbai.
The second one I see is Bangalore > Chitradurga > NH13 to Bijapur > Solapur > Pune > Mumbai.

According to Google maps, the second route is about 44 kms longer. How are the conditions though? If the roads are better than the first route and if the traffic is less, it might be possible to reduce the overall travel time despite taking a longer route. Anyone with experience on NH 13 and NH 9?

I am planning to do this trip on my RE TBTS. So obviously I can not take the Mum-Pune expressway. Whats the quickest way from Pune to Mumbai on a bike?
Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:29   #1191
Distinguished - BHPian

^Without any doubts, simply stick to Bangalore-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Davanagere-Hubli-Belgaum-Kolhapur-Satara-Pune-Mumbai.
Its much better and hence much preferred - Faster when compared to the other option. 4 lane all the way and since you are on bike, take the old NH4 (instead of expressway) from Pune to Mumbai as bikes won't be allowed on the Eway.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd July 2012 at 21:31.
Old 28th July 2012, 09:30   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Planning mumbai Bangalore drive 1 -2 Aug with a stopover at Belgaum. Any updates on this route? How is the 6 laning going? This will be the first time I will be travelling on a weekday. Hope the queues at the tolls are shorter.
Old 30th July 2012, 00:26   #1193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Planning mumbai Bangalore drive 1 -2 Aug with a stopover at Belgaum. Any updates on this route? How is the 6 laning going? This will be the first time I will be travelling on a weekday. Hope the queues at the tolls are shorter.
6 Lane WIP between Tumkur-Chitradurga and Dharwad-Belgaum.
Since its 6 lane conversion, the diversions are onto service lanes. This means, they are mostly well marked, the surface of service lanes is good and won't slow you down drastically.
While the Tumkur-Chitradurga has about 8 diversions northwards, there were just 2 between Dharwad-Belgaum when I drove in June.
Overall, the 6 Lane work should not really bother your timings much except for about 15 minutes max. Leaving at 4am should actually not make any difference at all.
By the way, my family has almost decided to drive Pune-Aurangabad (and Shirdi)On 3rd August and back on either 6th or 7th.

So, I might be heading that way just before this weekend too.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 10:32   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, my family has almost decided to drive Pune-Aurangabad (and Shirdi)On 3rd August and back on either 6th or 7th.

So, I might be heading that way just before this weekend too.
Thanks for the info so will we be able to make use of the 3 lanes? In other words how much of the existing 2 lanes become 3?
Also my trip mumbai Bangalore has been postponed to 3 - 4 Aug.
Old 30th July 2012, 11:40   #1195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Thanks for the info so will we be able to make use of the 3 lanes? In other words how much of the existing 2 lanes become 3?
Between Tumkur and Chitradurga, you will mostly be on 3 lanes unless you are on a diversion. In other words, except for the bridges (at small intersections and culverts) 3 lane work is fully/almost complete. This also means that you will be on a diversion onto the service lanes at these points wherever bridge work is in progress.

On the Dharwad-Belgaum section, as most of the road is concrete, the 3rd lane is either completed fully or at various places you will find the shoulder dug (to accommodate the 3rd lane) with proper warning signs. You will realize that the absence of a shoulder is such a pain when you have miscellaneous traffic stopping to pick/drop passengers. In this stretch (Dharwad-Belgaum), you may not be able to use all the 3 lanes from what I experienced even if it meant that 3 lane work is complete at certain sections.

Quote:
Also my trip mumbai Bangalore has been postponed to 3 - 4 Aug.
In which case, we shall most likely meet up if we leave at the same time from Bangalore. I am driving with my daughter, wife and my father and will usually start from Bangalore at 4-30am and drive till Pune and further till Aurangabad the usual way I do.

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th July 2012 at 11:43.
Old 30th July 2012, 14:41   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Between Tumkur and Chitradurga, you will mostly be on 3 lanes unless you are on a diversion. In other words, except for the bridges (at small intersections and culverts) 3 lane work is fully/almost complete. This also means that you will be on a diversion onto the service lanes at these points wherever bridge work is in progress.

On the Dharwad-Belgaum section, as most of the road is concrete, the 3rd lane is either completed fully or at various places you will find the shoulder dug (to accommodate the 3rd lane) with proper warning signs. You will realize that the absence of a shoulder is such a pain when you have miscellaneous traffic stopping to pick/drop passengers. In this stretch (Dharwad-Belgaum), you may not be able to use all the 3 lanes from what I experienced even if it meant that 3 lane work is complete at certain sections.
Great to know work is progressing this fast. It also means that one can overtake two struggling trucks from the left most lane.

sent you a PM
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 21:55   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania
^Without any doubts, simply stick to Bangalore-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Davanagere-Hubli-Belgaum-Kolhapur-Satara-Pune-Mumbai.
Thanks for the advice. Made it to Mumbai. I must admit that Karnataka roads are better for riding than Maharashtra's. The return trip starts tomorrow.
Old 6th August 2012, 15:23   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Back in Bangalore from Mumbai after a rain drenched drive over 3 /4 Aug. The 3 laning is progressing fast in Maharashtra between Satara and pune but the roads are potholed and uneven in this stretch. Condition improves after Kholapur. There are 12 diversions between C'durga and Tumkur with two more coming up. Some of these diversions are Okish, others are bad, and others have speed breakers on them.

OT: got a chance to meet up with another bhpian, Parag and his family at Kognoli toll. Nice.
Old 13th August 2012, 17:07   #1199
BHPian

I am planning to drive to Goa from Bangalore through Hubli-Dharwad (Bangalore, Karnataka to Varca Beach - Google Maps). Hope this is a better way, as the coastal stretch means bad roads to cross western ghats towards Mangalore.

Also, what are the food options, if I am starting Bangalore around 5:30 - 6 AM?
I would prefer trying some authentic north KA food, or local dhabas, than Kamat kind of places for this time.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 13th August 2012, 18:17   #1200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Also, what are the food options, if I am starting Bangalore around 5:30 - 6 AM?
I would prefer trying some authentic north KA food, or local dhabas, than Kamat kind of places for this time.
Any suggestions are welcome.
If you start from Bangalore at 6-00am, you should ideally stop at Kamat (before Ranebennur Bypass) or Ghar Dhaba (BPCL) after Ranebennur bypass. Both of these are barely 10 mins away from each other. Or even better, Benne Dosas at Davanagere would be a good option too.

Authentic North Karnataka food for breakfast would be difficult but a delayed start can ensure you North Karnataka Meals at another Kamat before Hubli (which would be on the opposite side).

For the most genuine North Karnataka food, entering Hubli-Dharwad and dining at those Khanavalis is the most suitable option.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th August 2012 at 18:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks