Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2012, 17:45   #1156
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

thanks for the information. Much appreciated

I was missing the leisurely drives of the old two lane tree covered roads and as I am to go to Pune shortly wanted to know if these roads still exist..

evidently they dont so I guess its back to the rush of the GQ...
Old 8th April 2012, 18:35   #1157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
thanks for the information. Much appreciated

I was missing the leisurely drives of the old two lane tree covered roads and as I am to go to Pune shortly wanted to know if these roads still exist..

evidently they dont so I guess its back to the rush of the GQ...
There is really no rush on the GQ, specially after Chitradurga all the way till Kolhapur. The density will be felt only after you enter Maharashtra.

If you are open to drive on a weekday, please do so as it will be more leisurely
than the usual weekend and to be able to enjoy the drive, start as early as 4-30/5-00am. Good luck!
Old 8th April 2012, 20:50   #1158
Senior - BHPian

hi guys, i drove to Bangalore, 2 weeks ago and had planned to drive back next weekend but home renovation work here is not getting over but I have to get back to mumbai by 15th. Anyone driving to mumbai end of this week and can accomodate a passenger / relief driver? Am willing to split the cost of diesel. please PM
Old 9th April 2012, 12:05   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
hi guys, i drove to Bangalore, 2 weeks ago and had planned to drive back next weekend but home renovation work here is not getting over but I have to get back to mumbai by 15th. Anyone driving to mumbai end of this week and can accomodate a passenger / relief driver? Am willing to split the cost of diesel. please PM
>>>

Hope you are doing fine.
Are you leaving your white steed behind in Bangalore?
PM me when you are back here and let me see if we can meet sometime.

Regards
Old 10th April 2012, 06:49   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

Hope you are doing fine.
Are you leaving your white steed behind in Bangalore?
PM me when you are back here and let me see if we can meet sometime.

Regards
Yes leaving the car and family here in Bangy. will come back in May and drive to Mumbai with them.
Old 11th April 2012, 08:44   #1161
BHPian

There is more news on Electronic Toll Collection in Bangalore.

Electronic toll collection: NHAI to seek stay - South India - Bangalore - ibnlive

I hope corruption is not encouraged by indulging in such protracted litigation by vested interests.
Old 30th April 2012, 22:34   #1162
BHPian

Sorry for back to back posts.

Since it is very important for road safety have posted the same. Just came to know from INDIA TV news at 10pm that at Khed Shivapur toll plaza there was violence and property at the toll plaza was ransacked. It was between truck drivers and toll attendants which had arisen due to some clashes over the increased toll levied. One way is shown at Rs. 70/- while return journey (same day) is shown as Rs. 105/-

Last edited by INNOWAGON_CL : 30th April 2012 at 22:35.
Old 1st May 2012, 10:26   #1163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOWAGON_CL View Post
Sorry for back to back posts.

Since it is very important for road safety have posted the same. Just came to know from INDIA TV news at 10pm that at Khed Shivapur toll plaza there was violence and property at the toll plaza was ransacked. It was between truck drivers and toll attendants which had arisen due to some clashes over the increased toll levied. One way is shown at Rs. 70/- while return journey (same day) is shown as Rs. 105/-
The reason seems to be different as quoted by a local daily. It seems that an MLA from Sangli was roughed up that lead to violence and destruction of the Toll booth properties.

आ. संजयकाका पाटील यांना मारहाण-पुणे + प. महाराष्ट्र-महाराष्ट्र-Maharashtra Times
Old 1st May 2012, 10:47   #1164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The reason seems to be different as quoted by a local daily. It seems that an MLA from Sangli was roughed up that lead to violence and destruction of the Toll booth properties.
And the MLA is such a nice guy etc. etc... whose record is seen here:

SANJAY (KAKA) RAMCHANDRA PATIL(IND):Constituency- TASGAON(District1) - Affidavit Information of Candidate:

Of course a nice man (the worst they have on him are IPC 148 and 324), the lad at the toll booth surely must have abused him and assaulted him.
Old 1st May 2012, 20:20   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

आ. संजयकाका पाटील यांना मारहाण-पुणे + प. महाराष्ट्र-महाराष्ट्र-Maharashtra Times
Today's newspaper gives a different story from that of India TV. Thanks.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:15   #1166
Senior - BHPian

Tumkur - Chitradurga road condition

Drove to Shirdi over the weekend.

Counted ten diversions between Tumkur - Chitradurga due to flyovers. and between Tumkur - Chitradurga kills the speed. What used to be a pleasant drive is now frustrating. We used to take 2 hours and 15 minutes to Chitradurga from Bannerghatta junction of NICE road in the morning. It now takes 2.45 hours. Suggest plan three hours for Bangalore - Chitradurga as drive time.
Old 7th May 2012, 17:03   #1167
BHPian

Returned yesterday from a week long visit to Bangalore.

Pune-Satara section continues to deteriorate - the tarmac is chipped off in several places and road is very rough on some stretches. Does it mean that till the six laning is completed, we cannot expect a smooth ride on the existing lanes? The mess at Khed Shivapur toll continues. Also, as on every Sunday evening in the past, while returning to Pune, massive pile up just after the Khed Shivapur toll booth, just before Shindewadi, where all the vada pav stalls are - double parking on the highway - how do they ever propose to six lane this part is beyond me.

Facilty of paying combined toll for Khed Shivapur + Anewadi has been discontinued - reason given by the attendant is because of the increase in toll rate from 01/04/2012 - again mind boggling logic ?

As mentioned by Fauji, the diversions on Chitradurng-Tumkur stretch are totally frustrating- they are building underpasses and some are only 2-3 kms apart. Again, classic case of Indian style of doing things - first lay down a beautiful road, then someone protests about crossing it so dig it up and make and underpass. By God's grace the diversion service lanes were by and large in decent condition.

Another observation was the stretch between Hubli-Haveri in both directions - the road looks deceptively good, but is lumpy particularly at the centre marking line and the car tends to slide around.

There used to be a Reliance pump in the premises on Kamat Upachar on the LHS near the Hubli circle in the Pune-BLR direction. It has now shut down permanently.

Banerghatta flyover on NICE Road appears to have woken up from slumber - hope to see it complete by the next visit, maybe in winter. Any take on that Poorna ?

Even on the previously fabulous Belgaum-Kolhapur section, now lots of truck traffic encountered and also a few diversions for underpasses etc.
Old 7th May 2012, 17:14   #1168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya
Banerghatta flyover on NICE Road appears to have woken up from slumber - hope to see it complete by the next visit, maybe in winter
Construction is on. Dont know how soon it would get over. But definitely its got to be soon now.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 17:48   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
Banerghatta flyover on NICE Road appears to have woken up from slumber - hope to see it complete by the next visit, maybe in winter. Any take on that Poorna ?
Sunil, As Ampere rightly posted, the work is moving pretty fast. The bridge is almost complete and ramps were anyway ready for a long time as the authorities were waiting for green signal from Supreme court to complete the work. Yes, the stretch should be completed much before winter.

I also found two small speed breakers between Hubli and Harihar. They are not humps but small single strips which must have be done by locals. It is not a big deal and one can pass over. But the problem arise if you following a vehicle closely and the guy brakes it on seeing this. There are no signages here.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 18:14   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
Returned yesterday from a week long visit to Bangalore.

Pune-Satara section continues to deteriorate - the tarmac is chipped off in several places and road is very rough on some stretches. Does it mean that till the six laning is completed, we cannot expect a smooth ride on the existing lanes?

Again, classic case of Indian style of doing things - first lay down a beautiful road, then someone protests about crossing it so dig it up and make and underpass. By God's grace the diversion service lanes were by and large in decent condition.

Now even the Supreme Court of India Questions Toll Tax when there are no smooth roads!

The Centre’s policy of charging toll tax from vehicles has come under scrutiny of the Supreme Court which on 10th May 2012 Wednesday questioned the justification of imposing such charges on people when NHAI and the government cannot provide smooth roads.

A bench of justices DK Jain and Anil R Dave directed the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) to explain its policy for toll tax.

“What is your policy? Public must know about it. It (building roads) should not be only to help builders and contractors. I do not understand your policy. We want to know what your policy is. Why should people pay toll tax when there is no smooth driving on road,” the bench said.

See the condition of the road. It results in serious accident but traveller has to pay toll tax,” it remarked.

The court was hearing a PIL filed by an NGO People’s Voice seeking its direction to restrain the Centre from alleged arbitrary collection of toll tax on the country’s national highways.

Although the PIL was focused on the toll tax collected on the NH-8 connecting Delhi with Gurgaon, the bench asked the petitioner to expand it by bringing within its purview the toll tax charged in other parts of the country also.

This is a very interesting PIL and I am early awaiting the outcome of this PIL.

Last edited by INNOWAGON_CL : 12th May 2012 at 18:15.
INNOWAGON_CL is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks