Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2012, 10:28   #1126
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

>>>

Any pointers to a good BPCL COCO in the Whitefield area in Bangalore for plain diesel?
If there are no BPCL COCOs, then any other COCO will do.

Regards
Old 24th March 2012, 12:15   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

Any pointers to a good BPCL COCO in the Whitefield area in Bangalore for plain diesel?

Regards
This is not BPCL but is one of the better ones and is close to Whitefield area
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ml#post2659975
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 12:57   #1128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis
>>>

On the Varthur road after the sai baba ashram toward the old Madras road there is a shell I think.
Old 25th March 2012, 07:02   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Back after a weekend drive to Lonavala.

We reached Davangare at 7pm and had benne dosa in the town. Got back on highway at 8pm. We were in Belgaum and checked into Sankam at 11pm on the dot. Had dinner and crashed.
@Vid6639 : Could you let me know some more details about your stop in Davangare? How big is the diversion from the highway to the town ? How long should I factor for that ? and Name of restaurant where you ate / any other good restaurant on the way

I am planning a trip from Pune to Kerala via Bangalore and am trying to firm up good eating options on the way
Old 25th March 2012, 09:07   #1130
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by godeepdive View Post
I am planning a trip from Pune to Kerala via Bangalore and am trying to firm up good eating options on the way
There are many Kamat Upachar eateries on NH 4.

All the directions are from Bangalore to Mumbai

Name of the eatery: Kamat Upachar [Vegetarian]

Locations:

1. Near Dobbespet [60 km from Bangalore on RHS] attached to IOCL Jubilee Retail Outlet

2. Near Sira [120 km from Bangalore on RHS] attached to BP COCO retail outlet

3. Near Ranebennur [from Bangalore on LHS on the bypass] attached to Reliance pump

4. Chabbi near Hubli [from Bangalore on RHS] attached to Reliance pump

Name of the eatery: Sai Food Court [Vegetarian]

Location: Near Kolhapur - from Bangalore to Mumbai on the right side after Kolhapur

On NH 7, beyond Bangalore:

BP COCO outlets with Adyar Ananda Bhavan Ghar Dhaba at Chinnar [LHS from Bangalore before Krishnagiri toll plaza] and Thoppur [RHS from Bangalore after the ghat section]

HP COCO outlet with McD, CCD [24 hours] and Sri Krishna Inn at Shoolagiri between Hosur and Krishnagiri [LHS from Bangalore]

Reliance pumps with Kamat Upachar diagonally opposite to each other between Hosur and Krishnagiri

Last edited by J.Ravi : 25th March 2012 at 09:19.
  (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2012, 09:35   #1131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by godeepdive View Post
@Vid6639 : Could you let me know some more details about your stop in Davangare? How big is the diversion from the highway to the town ? How long should I factor for that ? and Name of restaurant where you ate / any other good restaurant on the way

Detour from highway is around 5kms one way. Time for driving into town eating dosa and getting back on the highway is not more than 45mins.

Place is called Old Sagar Benne Dosa (suggested by Suhaas307). Davangere is supposedly famous for benne dosa. In my opinion worth the detour into town. The restaurant is located near a big junction.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2012, 10:26   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

Regards
I would suggest that you fill full tank at Hosur instead of filling in Karnataka if anyone is travelling enroute bengaluru- onwards to Tamilnadu / Kerala. The fuel price is less in Tamilnadu compared to Karnataka. The last time I went up to Coimbatore via Bangalore, I filled one-third of full tank capacity at BP Coco at SIRA. Thereafter, I filled diesel full tank at BP COCO at Hosur. Good food option is available at Adyar Anand Bhawan beside it.

You may also get details of BP COCO outlets from SMART fleet Card "Routes" search Link available on BPCL website. The three BPCL COCO in Bangalore are:

1. COCO- at Thavarakere Post, Bannerghatta Rd., Bangalore – 560029;

2. COCO - at 26/27, M. G. Rd., Near Rehaja Tower, Bangalore; and

3. COCO Peenya at Yeshwantpura.

During the return direction towards Bangalore you have BP COCO at Thoppur for fuel and very good food option at Adyar Anand Bhawan beside it.

Reliance outlets were not selling diesel fuel the last time I travelled in Dec'11/Jan'12.

Last edited by INNOWAGON_CL : 25th March 2012 at 10:47.
Old 25th March 2012, 10:57   #1133
BHPian

Same way, fill your tankfull at Kolhapur HP COCO outlet. This should take you upto Hosur. If not, fill minimum just to take you upto Hosur. HP COCO outlet sells only premium diesel and premium petrol.
Old 25th March 2012, 21:44   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOWAGON_CL

I would suggest that you fill full tank at Hosur instead of filling in Karnataka if anyone is travelling enroute bengaluru- onwards to Tamilnadu / Kerala. The fuel price is less in Tamilnadu compared to Karnataka. The last time I went up to Coimbatore via Bangalore, I filled one-third of full tank capacity at BP Coco at SIRA. Thereafter, I filled diesel full tank at BP COCO at Hosur. Good food option is available at Adyar Anand Bhawan beside it.

You may also get details of BP COCO outlets from SMART fleet Card "Routes" search Link available on BPCL website. The three BPCL COCO in Bangalore are:

1. COCO- at Thavarakere Post, Bannerghatta Rd., Bangalore – 560029;

2. COCO - at 26/27, M. G. Rd., Near Rehaja Tower, Bangalore; and

3. COCO Peenya at Yeshwantpura.

During the return direction towards Bangalore you have BP COCO at Thoppur for fuel and very good food option at Adyar Anand Bhawan beside it.

Reliance outlets were not selling diesel fuel the last time I travelled in Dec'11/Jan'12.
>>> INNOWAGON_CL,
Thank you for the exhaustive list. However my run is from Bombay to Bangalore and back. I normally fill up at my regular BPCL pump in Bombay and then I re-fill at Konduskar's beyond Kolhapur on the NH4 which is excellent. My range after Konduskar's is typically 800 kms so I will re-fill in Bangalore. I will see which one of the three BPCL COCOs is near to Whitefield.
Regards
Old 26th March 2012, 19:37   #1135
Senior - BHPian

Update on NH4:
A lot of 3 laning work is being done on the Chitradurga Tumkur section, many diversions too. So progress is slow on this part of the NH. Hopefully we will not have the highway blocked by 2 trucks overtaking at low to nil relative speed.

The Kholapur chitradurga section remains fab and fast as usual.

Traveled in the company of fellow bhpian issigonis in his super looking Jetta and shared tales over breakfast at Kamat after Hubli

OT Got excellent mileage this time 24.xx
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 19:34   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Update on NH4:

The Kholapur chitradurga section remains fab and fast as usual.

Traveled in the company of fellow bhpian issigonis in his super looking Jetta and shared tales over breakfast at Kamat after Hubli
>>>
goandude,

Very nice meeting you and your wife and your furry friend.Hope you are able to settle in nicely. Am starting on my drive back to Bombay tomorrow 30th early morning. Extended my stay in Bangalore by a day due to Delhi Belly. Filled up at the BPCL opp. Manipal Hospital today.Will fill up again tomorrow at a nearby Shell pump to ensure that my next pit stop is at Konduskar's.

Regards
Old 29th March 2012, 20:25   #1137
BHPian

I plan to leave to Mumbai from Yeshwanthpur side tomorrow morning. I have done trips to Goa Hubli Gokarna Hampi etc. but never driven beyond Belgaum. Once drove to Hampi at night and several night trips to TN KL AP etc.
Need advice on -

1. Fastest route (besides the usual) BLR HUBLI KOLAHPUR PUNE MUMBAI. Please feel free to correct if I am wrong.

2. I am fine with night driving (if it saves a lot of time)

3. There is just two people in the car plus some luggage and my work stuff.

4. I'm using a Fabia 1.4tdi. 55 litre tank. (any advice where to fuel up in order to save KA high price ) How much fuel to leave with et. all considering I get 19 kmpl +

5. I usually do not stop much and I wish to make it to Mumbai at the earliest. I have maintained avg speeds of about 95kmph + on the BLR HUBLI section or more. SAFELY.

6. How to and where to save time at toll booths/railway/check posts if any (long toll booth ques )

7. Ill be using a GPS, MMI picked it up recently just for the statistics part! So if any one has a log of where the most recent nasty speed breakers are any information would be useful.

8. My final destination is Vile Parle. Anybody leaving tomorrow! I'd be more than glad to drive together .

Thanks.
bhpbreather is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 20:39   #1138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpbreather View Post
1. Fastest route (besides the usual) BLR HUBLI KOLAHPUR PUNE MUMBAI. Please feel free to correct if I am wrong.
Remains the fastest as opposed to "any other" alternative routes.

Quote:
I have mostly done night drives only. It saves a lot of time for you between Kolhapur and Pune. Apart from that, I would always advice you to stay cautious between Chitradurga and Davanagere for sudden appearance of speedbreakers. Refer a few pages back for their locations.
The only other best time to start from Bangalore is 4-00am so that you will cover maximum distance by 10am.

Do note that after Davanagere Bypass till Dharwad Bypass exit (near highcourt) 24hrs Fuel stations are less and not reliable. The best best is to refuel once you enter MH (there are plenty on either sides that remain open) or if the range is low, fill up at the BP COCO stations near Dharwad opp to the Highcourt.

Quote:
4. I'm using a Fabia 1.4tdi. 55 litre tank. (any advice where to fuel up in order to save KA high price ) How much fuel to leave with et. all considering I get 19 kmpl +
I am sure you can easily pull beyond Maharashtra and fill up there. Since you will drive north, Konduskar shall come on your right as you enter Kolhapur but as mentioned above, there are plenty of fuel stations as soon as you enter Maharashtra.
Quote:
5. I usually do not stop much and I wish to make it to Mumbai at the earliest. I have maintained avg speeds of about 95kmph + on the BLR HUBLI section or more. SAFELY.
You can do this in 12-13 hours with the speeds mentioned above and nominal breaks for eating and refueling.
Quote:
6. How to and where to save time at toll booths/railway/check posts if any (long toll booth ques )
No Railway overbridges now since both the ROBs at Renebennuer and Haveri are functional since months.
Additionally, please have enough loose change specially in MH which will help you avoid filling a boxful of eclairs and Biscuits in form of return change. Since you will drive in the night, all the 4 toll booths in MH shall usually be manageable in under 3-4 minutes.
Quote:
7. Ill be using a GPS, MMI picked it up recently just for the statistics part! So if any one has a log of where the most recent nasty speed breakers are any information would be useful.
Check a few pages back and refer to the locations. Additionally, I am being told that there are certain unmarked ones which have come up between Belgaum and Nippani.

Location of Speedbreakers:
BANGALORE-PUNE section-: All of these after Chitradurga

The exact location of those killer speedbreakers on NH4 (AH47).
All that you need to do is remember your ODO/Trip meter while you pass the below reference points in both directions and slow down a kilometer before you approach them (Speedbreakers).

Reference point - The tall lamp post after Chitradurga bypass where Bangalore bound traffic can enter the city on your left hand side.
1st Speedbreaker - 24 Kms
2nd Speedbreaker - 24.2 Kms
3rd Speedbreaker - 31 kms
4th Speedbreaker - 48 Kms
5th Speedbreaker - 76 Kms
6th Speedbreaker - 109 Kms

Pune-Bangalore: All of these between Davanagere and Chitradurga
Reference Point - The very first non-functional (new) toll booth you pass after Davanagere
1st Speedbreaker - 05 Kms
2nd Speedbreaker - 08 Kms
3rd Speedbreaker - 12 Kms
Additional few:
There are a couple of marked ones (a little thicker than rumble strips between Dharwad and Belgaum that one can safely pass at good speeds.
The new one which was laid at Shiggaon had been removed now and there are none in this area.

Note-Due to the 6 laning work in Progress after Tumkur there has been some addition to the above list but at least they wont surprise you since they will appear along with a Deviation sign to warn you in advance.

Fuel Stations for those driving Night:

Maharashtra has plenty of them, specially before and after Khedshivpur – Bharat Petroleum.
After this there are quite a few nearing Kolhapur and Konduskar after Kolhapur.

In Karnataka, the options to refuel in the night are less and hence the suggested places are 2 BP bunks facing each other when you are nearing Dharwad Bypass (if driving from Mumbai side).
Between Dharwad and Chitradurga (or should I say Tumkur), there is very less possibility of finding a 24 hours fuel station. You have many between Tumkur all the way till Nelemangala.

New 24/7 Fuel station on Haveri Bypass( as on Jan 30th):
Outlet name : Veerabhadreshwar Petroleum Services
Vendor: BPCL
Timings: 24/7
Fuel Type: Petrol and Diesel
Facilities: Clean rest rooms, Windshield cleaning, RO System equipped Drinking water.
Payment mode: Cash and All Credit and Debit cards.
Good Bits: Very courteous friendly Owner/Attenders.Bill/receipt handed over from the dispenser along with the Vehicle Registration printed on it.
In case the Fuel station looks closed, one can reach them on 08375 - 234323 so that someone inside will come out and help.

Last edited by paragsachania : 29th March 2012 at 20:48.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 20:50   #1139
BHPian

>>>
bhpbreather,

I am driving back to Bombay tomorrow morning. I will be halting at Belgaum for the night.
My replies in line, below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpbreather View Post
I plan to leave to Mumbai from Yeshwanthpur side tomorrow morning. I have done trips to Goa Hubli Gokarna Hampi etc. but never driven beyond Belgaum. Once drove to Hampi at night and several night trips to TN KL AP etc.
Need advice on -

>>> You are correct.

3. There is just two people in the car plus some luggage and my work stuff.

>>> I will fuel up tomorrow morning ( see my post above), which will be more than enough for me to refuel again at Konduskar's just before Kolhapur on the rhs, which is approximately 626 kms from my start point in Bangalore. It is a very reliable pump. I have not filled anywhere in between so can't say about the rest.

>>> Please read some of the previous posts on this. On my drive to Bangalore from Bombay a few days ago I found four speed breakers in all between Haveri to Davangere. There are signages but they are too near the spot to brake smoothly if you are speeding. Lots of diversions too between Davangere and Tumkur.

8. My final destination is Vile Parle. Anybody leaving tomorrow! I'd be more than glad to drive together .

>>> I am. I plan to start at 5.30 am from Whitefield. I will send my contact detail via PM.

Thanks.
Regards
issigonis
issigonis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 20:58   #1140
BHPian

>>>

bhpbreather,

Your PM is disabled.

Regards

Most Viewed