Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 12:21   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish123 View Post
Thanks Vivek, Mavrick and Star Vegabond for all your input. What if I plan to leave by 12 noon. Do you think I will be able to make it to Belgaum by about 8pm considering that I wouldn't be going beyond 100-110kmph. Or else, are there good places to stay in Hubli?
Thanks
If you leave by 12:00 noon, you can definitely reach Belgaum by 8:00 PM. Davengere should be 4.5 hours from Blore the max. If you leave from Koramangala, I suggest take the Mekhri circle - Yeshwantpur - Nelamangala route. The bottlenecks are clear now in that road, but for frequent deviations and some construction activity.

Roads after Davengere till Haveri are not that great with construction activity.There is a railway crossing as well. You have to drive through Ranibennur town which is a real pain in the butt,what with those bullock carts occupying the lanes.

You dont have to do 140-160, but a constant 100-110 in NH4 will give you an average 85kmph. So, you can defintely plan on reaching Belgaum by 8:00 PM. Sankam is a good place to stay as well.

BTW, when are you driving? I intend to leave by 1:00 PM from Koramangala this Friday to go till Pune. If you happen to see a Champagne Corolla whooshing past, say hi. )

Nainar
Old 18th August 2009, 14:39   #242
BHPian

Considering if you leave at 12 Noon you make still take 2.5 hrs to reach Tumkur; You can try catching up NICE road from Kanakpura reaching NICE will take you about 45 minutes if the traffic is peak and from there it will be a breeze till you are off on the NH4 may be max 20 minutes. Overall you can save 1/2 hrs I guess if you dont get any traffic.

The Yelahanka route incase if you are not stuck due to the railway crossing will take about 2 hrs from Koramangala to Tumkur. Dont take the Ring Road but cut across the city.

Tumkur till Davangere will be take another 2.2 hrs max; after this the bad patch starts
Old 18th August 2009, 16:34   #243
Senior - BHPian

Manish ! As you are starting from Koramangala, I agree Hurrycane12's suggestion of taking the NICE ROAD from the Kanakapura Road and you can definitely avoid the crazy traffic as against the regular Yelahanka or the Dodballarpur Road. ORR seems inviting but honestly the traffic on it is worse and you will get stuck for sure.

I never tried the Dodballarpur road, but as many suggested you can try that one for starters. I always take the ORR from Sarjapur road and hit the regular Yelahanka road but always make sure that I leave around 4.00AM as its the best time to hit the highway according to me.

I am not sure about intermediate stop overs except for Sankam in Belgaum as I always complete the stretch until Pune with stoppages for only fuel and occassional munch on's during my drives. Drive Safe
Old 19th August 2009, 09:08   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
BTW, when are you driving? I intend to leave by 1:00 PM from Koramangala this Friday to go till Pune. If you happen to see a Champagne Corolla whooshing past, say hi. )

Nainar
Well, I would probably meet you over dinner at sankam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
Considering if you leave at 12 Noon you make still take 2.5 hrs to reach Tumkur; You can try catching up NICE road from Kanakpura reaching NICE will take you about 45 minutes if the traffic is peak and from there it will be a breeze till you are off on the NH4 may be max 20 minutes. Overall you can save 1/2 hrs I guess if you dont get any traffic.

The Yelahanka route incase if you are not stuck due to the railway crossing will take about 2 hrs from Koramangala to Tumkur. Dont take the Ring Road but cut across the city.

Tumkur till Davangere will be take another 2.2 hrs max; after this the bad patch starts
I am now inclined towards taking NICE road. I have never been on NICE road though, and I am not sure where it connects on NH4. It will be great if you could provide me road directions from Koramangala to nice road and upto NH4. I have read that you could connect from bannerghatta road? please advise

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th August 2009 at 10:23. Reason: Back to back posts, use multiquote please.
Old 19th August 2009, 14:26   #245
BHPian

NICE road connects NH4 just after Dasarahalli Junction; so you easily avoid the major mess on that junction.

Manish from Koramangala you can travel towards BTM layout take left at Jayadeva Junction -> Shoppers Stop (on left side) -> straight ahead on Banerghatta Road towards IIMB; cross Meenakshi Temple -> Hulimavu -> Check here for directions for NICE road entry; I have travelled on this road 2 years ago and it was in a bad shape at that time.

If you want to travel via Kanakpura Road; you will have take the ORR at JP Nagar toward Mysore at the Family Mart Junction it has a Reebok Showroon on the left side at the Signal from here you take a left this road leads into Kanakpura; keep going on this road you will find Metro on the right, Ford Service Centre on the left after about 5-6 Kms you will see a Flyover cutting across the road at this point take a right and climb uphill to the NICE road.

Hope I am clear with my directions else PM your number to me and I will call you.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:11   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,

I just did Bangalore - Pune on August 9th and here is a quick summary of the details which might probably help.

-Started at 4-30am from BEL Road and stopped at Davanagere for Breakfast at 8-30am (didn't venture into the town but had carried home made stuff)

Yeshwantpur-Nelemangala - Doable stretch early mornings. It becomes messy later during the day.

C'Durga- Haveri still the same but good to cross in the mornings, especially Ranebennur

2 railway crossings, almost missed one stop by tailgating a bus who kept honking and the railing stopped for the bus to pass and I was lucky too.

-Crossed Dharwad Byepass at 11-30 and stopped for the fuel top up just before Kagal check post around 1-15pm.

-Kolhapur was another 30 kms and hence drove all the way and stopped for lunch and headed to Pune at 2-30 and we were in Pune at 5-00pm.

Kolhapur - Pune - Section is good but bumpy at times, especially over culverts due to bad levelling. Adding to this, the traffic increases from here and its only cars and bikes with a few MSRTC buses resulting in waiting time at the toll booths.

I continuously drove all through with speeds between 80-90kmph in my WagonR and I was able to do it in 12.30Hrs. (Add another 2.5 to 4 Hrs to Mumbai)

On earlier occasions I have done 120-130 constantly on stretches and still taken the same time.

Facts I leart were:-

Start very early and cross that bad stretch under sunlight.
Pass Ranibennur while the town has just woken up.
Get into Maharastra for Lunch and then drive all the way to Mumbai.
(This will help you drive with ease as dusks are really dangerous especially due to those 2 wheelers and 3 wheelers after Kolhapur)

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th August 2009 at 17:12.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:19   #247
BHPian

Quote:

Nainar
If you happen to see a black R1 whooshing by, flash lights I'll be hitting Hubli on Friday as well as part of a longer ride on my bike.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:47   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Manish from Koramangala you can travel towards BTM layout take left at Jayadeva Junction -> Shoppers Stop (on left side) -> straight ahead on Banerghatta Road towards IIMB; cross Meenakshi Temple -> Hulimavu -> Check here for directions for NICE road entry; I have travelled on this road 2 years ago and it was in a bad shape at that time.
The entry to NICE from Bannerghatta rd (gotigere) is now marked and tarred. There are no motorcross stretches now.
Old 20th August 2009, 10:49   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
The entry to NICE from Bannerghatta rd (gotigere) is now marked and tarred. There are no motorcross stretches now.
Wow! That really is good news. For Koramangala folks it should be easier to do this than going all the way to Kanakapura road, especially with the construction activity at ORR in JP Nagar 5th phase junction causing detours and then the painful Kanakapura stretch.

BTW, where does this NICE road join NH4? I have taken this road till Mysore road when they were constructing an overpass for going towards Tumkur road. So, at Mysore Road-NICE road junction what should I do enter Tumkur Road? I know I can figure that out once there, but am curious.

Nainar
Old 20th August 2009, 11:51   #250
BHPian

Hi,

This thread was really informative. Thanks to all the guys for their valuable inputs regarding the road conditions.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:29   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, where does this NICE road join NH4? I have taken this road till Mysore road when they were constructing an overpass for going towards Tumkur road. So, at Mysore Road-NICE road junction what should I do enter Tumkur Road? I know I can figure that out once there, but am curious.

Nainar
I am not sure whether the Tumkur road connect is compelted or not. And to be very frank I'm not sure whether that is in the plan. But there is an extension at the end of it (road) so I am very hopeful.
Currently the NICE road does not touch Tumkur road directly.
The NICE road ends at Nelmanglala and you have to cross that patch not so good road to reach Tumkur.
When the NICE road by-passes Nelmangala then it would be heaven road not NICE road.
Old 20th August 2009, 17:44   #252
BHPian

Quote:
NICE road connects NH4 just after Dasarahalli Junction; so you easily avoid the major mess on that junction.

Hope I am clear with my directions else PM your number to me and I will call you.
Absolutely Clear. Thanks Hurrycane12 for this detailed direction. I will go via NICE road entering it from Bannerghatta road. All set to leave now tomorrow
Old 20th August 2009, 23:02   #253
BHPian

prince_pervez : Good news mate if this road is done than I can start off from here for all my trips as I am at HSR layout - Banerghatta is more closer

Manish123: Drive safe and hope you will give your input on the road conditions once you are back. Have a safe journey.

Last edited by Hurrycane12 : 20th August 2009 at 23:08.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:07   #254
BHPian

Just did Bangalore - Mumbai - Bangalore

Just did the Bangalore - Mumbai - Bangalore stretch over the last weekend on work. Here's my bit on the road conditions.

Bangalore - Neelamangala - Stretch is under construction, take NICE road and avoid the stretch as much as possible. Once can try NH207 but road conditions are unknown.

Neelamangala - Tumkur - Toll road and is maintained properly, but it has lost its touch over the last year and surface is not as good as it used to be.

Tumkur Bypass - Still a nightmare with a million diversions and all sorts of traffic crowding it from all directions.

Tumkur - Chitradurga - Stretch is good but lane markings are missing on most of the road and there are occasional diversions and spead-breakers.

Chitradurga - Devangere - Stretch is ok but not as good. Surface is not upto the mark and high speed rides can be bouncy at best. Still tolerable.

Devangere - Ranibennur - Absolute nightmare. Go slow. There are sudden spead-breakers and craters that can gobble up an Alto.

Ranibennur - Hubli - The road steadily keeps improving and little outside Hubli gets absolutely fabulous.

Hubi - Dharwad bypass - The road is in great condition but its a 2 way traffic and needs patience and time in daytime. In nightime it takes tolerance to high beams from trucks.

Dharwad - Belgaum - Kolhapur - Satara - Pune - This is a dream run. Absolutely delicious road to eat up as fast as you can.

Pune Bypass - Good but the traffic is erratic.

Pune - Mumbai Expressway - Road conditions are not what they used to be. After the NH4 it will feel a little horrible in comparison but the width will compensate the surface quality. The expressway is under maintenance in sections and you will find barrels dividing the lanes. Be careful in the night, these are not painted barrels.

Our timings.
Car: Ford Fusion 1.6+ Petrol
Bangalore - Mumbai - 15 hours (12 hours on highway) to mumbai (discounting mumbai in city travel and looking for places)
Mumbai - Bangalore - 16 hour (13 hours on highway)to touch bangalore outskirts. Complete night driving.

Regards and thanks.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:17   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Car: Ford Fusion 1.6+ Petrol
Bangalore - Mumbai - 15 hours (12 hours on highway) to mumbai (discounting mumbai in city travel and looking for places)
Mumbai - Bangalore - 16 hour (13 hours on highway)to touch bangalore outskirts. Complete night driving.

Regards and thanks.
NICE review err.. nice review.
The timings are pretty decent and realistic, unlike those
tall claims people have made elsewhere with dwarf vehicles.

Most Viewed