Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2008, 13:39   #106
BHPian

Two weeks ago I travelled by the Dobespet Road on my way to Mumbai its amazing to drive without any traffic hindrance even if it takes a few Kms more. We left Bangalore at 4:45 AM and reached Pune at 4:30 PM. with breaks for fuel and food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
Thanks a tonne for the assistance folks. I checked the Bangalore map and and this route Dodballapur-Dobbspet looks a little circuitous. How is the road from Dodballapur to Dobbspet? It looks like it will hit Tumkur.

I have driven in NICE road upto Mysore road and am very comfotable having driven quiet a few times entering from Kanapura road. Only unknown for me is from the junction of Mysore Road-Nice road, is the road upto Tumkur in proper order? And if that be the case, I would'nt mind taking that road, given that it is a known devil.

I am inclined towards now to leave at 4:00 AM instead of my earlier plan, because of the confidence given by VJ and others.

Thanks.

Nainar
Old 17th October 2008, 16:18   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
I am put up in HSR layout and will PM you my cell number do call me and I will guide from Hebbal to HSR layout.
Thanks a lot Hurrycane. Saw your PM and have PMed you my cell number. Would reach out to you if I am stuck somewhere.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:01   #108
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I have been following this thread for some time and intend to make this trip in two weeks. I am planning to drive alone from Blr to Mumbai, starting around 4am in the morning.

As most of the bypass roads between Blr and Hubli seem to be bad why can't one just drive through the towns like Chitradurga or Tumkur?
Old 4th November 2008, 12:15   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesaber View Post
Hello Guys,

I have been following this thread for some time and intend to make this trip in two weeks. I am planning to drive alone from Blr to Mumbai, starting around 4am in the morning.

As most of the bypass roads between Blr and Hubli seem to be bad why can't one just drive through the towns like Chitradurga or Tumkur?
Both Chitradurga and Tumkur bypasses are in good condition except that 4-laning is incomplete. Pointless to go into either of the towns.

The Davangere-Harihar bypass has unmetalled road, but going through both the towns is not an exciting prospect.

Ranebennur bypass is incomplete, you have to go through town anyway, it is a peaceful drive.

Haveri bypass is complete, except that there is around 20-50 metres of bad road at the south end of the bypass which you have to be careful about.

Otherwise, it is a fast and good drive.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:16   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,

I did this trip only last week, not upto Mumbai, but only upto Warje. Mumbai should be another 150 kilometers from there. I started at 4:30, slept near Tumkur for 2.5 hours because of my mistake of starting without eating anything for breakfast. But managed to reach Pune by around 8:00 PM, but I was not feeling so tired. Could have easily driven another 200-300 kilometers.

The bypasses are ofcourse bad, but I think if you go through the towns, the roads are not better either. I ventured into Chitradurga town to see the Fort, but roads are bad, and add to that the local traffic.

Watch out for unmarked diversions. Once after Davengere, I almost broke down my suspension by gliding over a diversion at 100kmph. Was cruising at 120 in a nice road and all of a sudden a diversion appears out of now where, with no warning.

Nainar

Nainar
Old 4th November 2008, 12:16   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Forget about maps and stuffs Sir. Just do that road. It is excellent.

Dobbspet is about 20km before Tumkur. You will hit the flyover at Dobbspet (NH4 is the top of the flyover), take right for Tumkur.

Abhi
Yes this road is great! am sooo happy that i dint have to go through peenya....did this road last week..

after doballapur u need to watch out for potholes...
Old 4th November 2008, 12:31   #112
BHPian

Thanks hvkumar for the info. this will be my longest drive in india, the earlier one being around 300 km. I've read earlier in this thread that some of you have done this trip 12-13 hours. Hats off to you guys. I am wondering what state I will be when I reach Hubli-Dharwad which is my half way point :-)
Old 4th November 2008, 13:13   #113
Senior - BHPian

All the best "litesaber" on your drive down from Bangalore to Mumbai which can be covered in 15 hours flat realistically. I personally covered this stretch in 15 hours and you can reach Pune in 12 to 13 hours and the key is to leave Bangalore in the early hours @ around 3:30AM or 4:00AM. I am not sure about the road near Chitradurga,Haveri,Ranibennur as they were bad (read as stretches of bad patches) around 3 months back when i last visited Pune.
Kumar sir is an exception on highway driving and he has a record of reaching Mumbai in 12 hours and I reckon you can do it in 15 hours provided you leave early as mentioned.
Regarding your query, you will still be in North Karnataka and will touch Maharashtra once you zoom past Belgaum and then its mere bliss until Pune and you can reach Pune in about 5 to 6 hours from Belgaum.
Drive safe and do update the report about the road conditions.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 4th November 2008 at 13:14.
Old 4th November 2008, 13:20   #114
BHPian

I meant my physical state and not the states of the Indian Union :-) Sorry for the confusion.
>>
Regarding your query, you will still be in North Karnataka and will touch Maharashtra once you zoom past Belgaum and then its mere bliss until Pune and you can reach Pune in about 5 to 6 hours from Belgaum.
>>
Old 4th November 2008, 13:25   #115
Senior - BHPian

Since you will leave Bangalore early in the morning, be prepared for some traffic jams on Pune bypass at the Khelgaon and Hinjewadi junctions where there is unusual traffic congestion. Last time, I got stuck for 45 minutes in peak evening traffic.
Old 4th November 2008, 13:29   #116
Senior - BHPian

hv kumar sir thanks for updating me about the dobspet road, it really helped
Old 4th November 2008, 13:35   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant my physical state and not the states of the Indian Union :-) Sorry for the confusion.
>>
>>
You caught me there Buddy anyways, I have done this stretch about 4 times now and a 15 hour drive with stoppages for fueling and grubs alone was not that bad. I had this stretch done in my alto and be rest assured that except for those bad stretches the NH4 is a really nice highway and you will enjoy the drive.
Just like you mentioned that before this trip your major distance covered was 300Kms and when i ventured this segment, I was a starter too and i really enjoyed. You should do fine and if you are not sure and dont want to do it in one stretch you can take a break in Belgaum and then continue the journey ahead.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 4th November 2008 at 13:38.
Old 4th November 2008, 14:04   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Since you will leave Bangalore early in the morning, be prepared for some traffic jams on Pune bypass at the Khelgaon and Hinjewadi junctions where there is unusual traffic congestion. Last time, I got stuck for 45 minutes in peak evening traffic.
Update : Wakad flyover is now complete and with CYG games over, there is no more traffic jams on Pune Bypass.
Old 4th November 2008, 14:10   #119
BHPian

Quote:
>>
Physical state takes a beating on long drives only if you dont start with adequate rest or have traffic on the road which is irritating.

Kumar has mentioned a route via Dobbespet in his earlier post to reach Tumkur this will not only save time but also some mental strain in driving through thick traffic on the Peenya road. The road upto Chitradurga is great and the bad road starts only once you cross Chitradurga upto Haveri. Internal roads of Davangere town are good but the connecting route from the highway to town are in a sad state. Once you cross Belgaum it will take you max of 4.5 hrs to reach Pune provided there is not much traffic.

I did Bangalore - Pune in 12hrs with breaks for fuel and food about a month ago.

All the best, I hope you will enjoy your drive.
Old 4th November 2008, 14:45   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitrk View Post
Update : Wakad flyover is now complete and with CYG games over, there is no more traffic jams on Pune Bypass.
Traffic jams are under the completed Wakad Flyover, nothing to do with the CW Games and seem to be a daily occurrence. My bad experience was last month at around 7 pm. I understand from other Pune-ites that this is a big problem because of the traffic coming out of the Hinjewadi IT area.

Most Viewed