Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 19:48   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
If u leave by 3 am,boy o boy u ll be having some fun on the highway.Almost no vehicular traffic and the highway is all yours.
When i was returning back to bangalore even i planned to leave by 3am but ended up leaving at 7 am and with the pathetic city traffic ended up reaching mumbai only by 9 in the night.
This included one stop for lunch at belgaum and one refuelling stop.Trip report comin up soon.
Oh btw the car was a jet black 2005 maruti zen.High revving,tall gearing..wink wink.
Yea ! Leaving @ 3.00AM is the trick to @least avoid the city traffic from the starting city and with roughly around 15 to 17 hours drive including fuelling stops+food stops etc, you are bound to hit the destination city's traffic for sure which is manageable.
Old 29th August 2008, 20:09   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

How much time should Bangalore - Pune take if I leave from TV Tower/Mekhri Circle at 0300? Are the 15/17 hour estimates till Mumbai? Assume Pune will be around 12 hours with a 1 1/2 hour break for lunch/rest stops?
Old 29th August 2008, 20:15   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
How much time should Bangalore - Pune take if I leave from TV Tower/Mekhri Circle at 0300? Are the 15/17 hour estimates till Mumbai? Assume Pune will be around 12 hours with a 1 1/2 hour break for lunch/rest stops?
You should take around 12 to 14 hours hours including stopping times for fuel and and as well as for lunch stops. The best part of starting @ 3.00AM from Bangalore is you avoid the traffic and you will be hitting the bad patches around Chitradurga,Davangere, Ranibennur around 8:30 Am and you can cover these stretches and reach Belgaum by around 11 or 12ish (including stops) and from there its around 4 to 5 hours to Pune.

Where are you starting from in Bangalore?
Old 29th August 2008, 20:25   #79
Senior - BHPian

I usually take 12 hours for Bombay-Bangalore starting at 3 am either way. My last trip in May, I took 11.50 hours. All these were with only 2 refuelling halts. 12 hours to Pune is easily possible for a fast driver, as long as you limit stops to 1 major halt of not more than 1 hour. But, also keep in mind that south Maharashtra (Pune-Kolhapur) is more congested in the day time (when you are coming from Bangalore) than early in the morning when you are going from Pune, and that can make the Bangalore-Pune journey a little longer than the reverse.
Old 3rd September 2008, 10:55   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Another question: If I leave at a 'normal' time of say 0700, should I take the Nelamangala route or try Yelahanka-Dobbspet? How much time would the latter save and how much more distance is it?
Old 3rd September 2008, 19:32   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another question: If I leave at a 'normal' time of say 0700, should I take the Nelamangala route or try Yelahanka-Dobbspet? How much time would the latter save and how much more distance is it?
Then pls take the yelahanka - dobbspet route. It might take 3 hours to reach Tumkur if you take Yeswantpur route at that hour.

Abhi
Old 8th September 2008, 16:51   #82
BHPian

Quote:
I did Bangalore-Belgaum on 29th August & back on 6th Sept.

For Bangalore to Belgaum (NH4), I left home at 7:00am from C V Raman Nagar & took the usual route through Mekhri circle. The Yashwantpur-Peenya-Nelmangala is not as horrible as you think. It was quiet good & free flowing (Of course not like tolled highway). I hit Sira at 10am. So, don't get bogged down by the Yashwantpur-Peenya-Nelmangala stretch...

Cheers,
Vivek
Old 8th September 2008, 19:49   #83
srh
BHPian

I agree that there is no need to get bogged down by the Yeswantpur-Tumkur section. I have travelled Bangalore-Pune multiple times starting at around 6.00 in the morning. My best time to Pune has been 10.5 hrs in my puny Xeta 1.4 with breaks at Chitradurga for breakfast and Belgaum for lunch. If one is using a Civic or Skoda, I am sure that it can be done much quicker. Beware of the bad strecthes after Chitradurga.
Old 13th October 2008, 16:17   #84
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am planning a MUM-BLR and back trip with wife and two kids. I read this thread and really liked the idea of leaving at 3:00 AM from Mumbai but in that case wont I reach Nellamangala during the evening rush hour there and get stuck?
Hence wondering whether there is any good time to leave from MUM?

Cheers
f1fan
Old 13th October 2008, 16:26   #85
Senior - BHPian

Nothing like a good time in Nelamangala-Bangalore road. Budget for 1 hour in traffic jams. I normally leave at 3 am from Bombay, but reach in 12 hours, but I find traffic jams at that hour too. In case you wish to go to the East side of Bangalore (Hebbal, Yelahanka, etc), you can take the road from Dobespet (after Tumkur) and avoid Nelamangala route. In case you are going to Mysore Road side (but near Kengeri), you can take the NICE Road from near Himalaya Drug Company (between Nelamangala and Bangalore), and save time in traffic jams, but have to travel longer.
Old 13th October 2008, 16:34   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Nothing like a good time in Nelamangala-Bangalore road. Budget for 1 hour in traffic jams. I normally leave at 3 am from Bombay, but reach in 12 hours, but I find traffic jams at that hour too. In case you wish to go to the East side of Bangalore (Hebbal, Yelahanka, etc), you can take the road from Dobespet (after Tumkur) and avoid Nelamangala route. In case you are going to Mysore Road side (but near Kengeri), you can take the NICE Road from near Himalaya Drug Company (between Nelamangala and Bangalore), and save time in traffic jams, but have to travel longer.
Thanks hvkumar. I need to travel to H.S.R Layout. I have never driven into Bangalore. Used to fly into the old airport (in the days of cheap air travel) and a quick drive from there to HSR. Hence frankly I dont even know the route I should take once I come near BLR. Any ideas on the best way to HSR is highly appreciated.
Old 13th October 2008, 17:50   #87
Senior - BHPian

Take the left towards Doddballapur at the Dobspet flyover, go upto Doddballapur, then take the road which leads you to Bangalore, until you reach Hebbal flyover, here you will have to take a left turn onto the Ring Road, continue on the ring road until you reach HSR Layout.
Old 13th October 2008, 20:41   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Thanks hvkumar. I need to travel to H.S.R Layout. I have never driven into Bangalore. Used to fly into the old airport (in the days of cheap air travel) and a quick drive from there to HSR. Hence frankly I dont even know the route I should take once I come near BLR. Any ideas on the best way to HSR is highly appreciated.
Since you are not familiar with Bangalore, I would not recommend you take the Dobespet route.

Continue on NH4 via Nelamangala through Peenya and Dasarahalli towards Bangalore.

After Dasarahalli, take the left turn where there are prominent signages - points to Hyderabad (NH7) and Madras (NH4) and Hosur (NH7). This road will take you via Jalahalli, BEL to Hebbal Flyover, where you continue straight on the Ring Road to reach H S R Layout (please keep following sign boards for H S R Layout, Sarjapura, Koramangala, Hosur).

Coordinates are as follows:

Tumkur Road, exit Toll Gate, 0 kms
Nelamangala, 2 kms, Junction where to the right is NH48 going to Mangalore
Pass Himalaya Drug Co, Parle factory
Pass Kennametal Factory, Wipro
Exactly 19 kms from Nelamangala junction, you will first see right turn towards Mysore, and immediately a 100-200 metres ahead the left turn to Jalahalli

I have no idea of the distance from the turn off to H S R Layout, but it is 7 kms to the Hebbal Flyover from where you turn off NH4
Old 15th October 2008, 14:18   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Since you are not familiar with Bangalore, I would not recommend you take the Dobespet route.

Continue on NH4 via Nelamangala through Peenya and Dasarahalli towards Bangalore.
------
I have no idea of the distance from the turn off to H S R Layout, but it is 7 kms to the Hebbal Flyover from where you turn off NH4
Thanks hvkumar & pypkmsrikanth. I think I will go via the ring road as I have been on that route a couple of times when I was there. The place that I would be camping is very near from the Silk Board flyover and also the outer ring road. Hence should not be that difficult once I reach that area.
Old 15th October 2008, 15:55   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kumar can you give more info on "Dobespet"?? will be travelling towards Shimoga next weekend would want to avoid peenya-nelmangala...offlate its got worse!

Most Viewed