Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 11:04   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Nice update Jedi, Had you considered Hebbal - Yelhanka - Dodaballapur - Dobbspet route it would have taken you just an hour to Tumkur from CV Raman Nagar. I construction acivity near Yestawanthapur takes a toll on the timings.
Have not tried that route. For all our previous trips, we used to leave house by 4 am. So had no issues getting out of Bangalore.
Will keep the route you mentioned in mind.
Old 8th August 2008, 12:09   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Nice update Jedi, Had you considered Hebbal - Yelhanka - Dodaballapur - Dobbspet route it would have taken you just an hour to Tumkur from CV Raman Nagar. I construction acivity near Yestawanthapur takes a toll on the timings.
akroy,how's the road condition from Yelahanka-Doddaballapur-Dobbspet ?
I'm leaving to Bombay on 13th & I live in RT nagar.If you really think I can do Tumkur in about 60-70 mins,I would'nt mind trying.
Old 8th August 2008, 12:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
akroy,how's the road condition from Yelahanka-Doddaballapur-Dobbspet ?
I'm leaving to Bombay on 13th & I live in RT nagar.If you really think I can do Tumkur in about 60-70 mins,I would'nt mind trying.
Definitely it is excellent otherwise why would I suggest
Come for the meet tomorrow then you could have checked the road atleast till Dodaballapur.

From RT Nagar it should not take more than an hour.
Check out Lukeskywalker's travelogue of Coastal Karnataka / Tirthahalli. He also mentioned about this route.

Abhi
Old 8th August 2008, 12:24   #64
BHPian

I travelled from Tumkur to Bangalore on 27th July 08 via the Dobbspet - Doddaballapur - Yelahanka route. The roads are decent and not much traffic. Watch out for humps on the way without any signs warning about them.
Old 8th August 2008, 13:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

Where is the exact place where you turn off NH4 at Tumkur to go to Dobbspet?
Old 8th August 2008, 13:53   #66
BHPian

When you come from Tumkur to Bangalore, dont climb on the flyover at Dobbspet junction. Just before the flyover starts, there is a service road on the left which runs parallel to the flyover. Go on this road, and a little further you will find a road which goes to the left. This is the road which will take you to Doddaballapur.
Old 8th August 2008, 13:58   #67
Senior - BHPian

I think this will be the best route for folks staying in the CV RAMAN nagar vicinity as pointed by abhi and prabhusati. Also for folks closer to mysore road, i think the NICE ROAD connecting the Tumkur road too is a better alternative rather than going through Yeshwantpur and up ahead.
Old 29th August 2008, 11:52   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

I am expecting to get transferred to Mumbai soon and are planning to drive down in our Aveo once our luggage has left from Bangalore. We have relatives in Pune and will probably stay overnight there.

I had some questions about the trip:

1. Is it worth taking the Yelahanka-D'pur-Dobbspet-Tumkur route if I leave at 4 am or can I simply stick to the Yeshwantpur-Nelamangala-Tumkur road at that hour? Alternatively, what if I leave at 2 am? Is the first route safe at night? I will be doing this with my wife and 2 kids so was wondering if I do some night driving while the latter are fast asleep :-)

2. Are KA cars stopped and harassed by Maharashtra RTO/Octroi inspectors? Apart from carrying original documents for the car and proving our Bangalore residency, should I carry any other documents? I definitely plan to take along the RTO NOC from Bangalore RTO and later pay the applicable entry tax/octroi/road tax later in Mumbai. But do people get harassed enroute?

3. Does Maharashtra have any unique regulations such as black sticker on top of headlights etc?

Any answers to the above and other tips about the route will be highly appreciated!

Last edited by itwasntme : 29th August 2008 at 12:03. Reason: Typo
Old 29th August 2008, 12:12   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I am expecting to get transferred to Mumbai soon and are planning to drive down in our Aveo once our luggage has left from Bangalore. We have relatives in Pune and will probably stay overnight there.

I had some questions about the trip:

1. Is it worth taking the Yelahanka-D'pur-Dobbspet-Tumkur route if I leave at 4 am or can I simply stick to the Yeshwantpur-Nelamangala-Tumkur road at that hour? Alternatively, what if I leave at 2 am? Is the first route safe at night? I will be doing this with my wife and 2 kids so was wondering if I do some night driving while the latter are fast asleep :-)

2. Are KA cars stopped and harassed by Maharashtra RTO/Octroi inspectors? Apart from carrying original documents for the car and proving our Bangalore residency, should I carry any other documents? I definitely plan to take along the RTO NOC from Bangalore RTO and later pay the applicable entry tax/octroi/road tax later in Mumbai. But do people get harassed enroute?

3. Does Maharashtra have any unique regulations such as black sticker on top of headlights etc?

Any answers to the above and other tips about the route will be highly appreciated!
The best time to start is @ about 3.00AM and am not sure about the Doddballarpur stretch and you might ask akroy (abhi) about that. If you are starting that early you can take the regular route itself as it will not be so packed as in other plying hours.

BTW where are you starting from ? If near the N.I.C.E Road you can take that road all the way which connects to the Tumkur road on NH4 .

There is no harassment by RTO's etc and all you need to do is pay the toll gate fees @ required stretches. And no need of having partly covered black stickers on the headlights etc .

As in your case you are moving out for good so i think you need to take the NOC from the RTO office here in Bangalore and i suppose there is a thread about that issue for people moving to other states from a particular state.
Old 29th August 2008, 12:12   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you start at 2AM then it is better you stick Yeswantpur as it will straight road from FunWorld. Generally trucks leaves the place between 11 - 1. After that it should be empty. Although I did see some trucks too during my Goa trip when started from home at 2:45 AM.

Quote:
I have never been caught forget about harassed during all my long trip be it WB, TN, GA, MH, AP. Suggest dont bother about all this when you are in transit. You can always say that you are in transit and will be returning back. BTW, many people keep doing Bangalore - Pune / Mum so this route should not an issue for KA registration and all.

Abhi
Old 29th August 2008, 12:20   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am expecting to get transferred to Mumbai soon
2. Are KA cars stopped and harassed by Maharashtra RTO/Octroi inspectors?
welcome to maharashtra, a civilised land.

no harassment from anyone in maharashtra
in maharashtra no requirement of black, yellow stickers on headlamps.
as everywhere required, you should carry all papers of car with you.
you can transfer your registration from karnataka to maharashtra after paying tax differance if any.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 29th August 2008 at 12:25.
Old 29th August 2008, 12:38   #72
Senior - BHPian

In Maharashtra, have not heard of any harassment of out-of-State private vehicles on highways. Carry all your documents - RC, Insurance, PUC. Wear seat belts. Don't talk on mobile. Avoid drunken driving - these 3 can attract attention and suitable "haftas" . And nowadays in Bombay city, no loud music.
Old 29th August 2008, 16:06   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

VJ MAVRICK, AKRoy, HVKumar & AshishPallod,

Many thanks for the immediate and detailed responses! I am much relieved as the last thing I wanted to do is to get into a argument at the checknaka with kids in the car.

I am now thinking of taking both my cars - Aveo (self-driven) and Indica Xeta (have found a good driver) by road together. That way, I can ensure no damage to both cars by trucker, no hankypanky by the driver (if any) enroute and can carry essential luggage as well. If stopped, I can always say attending a family funtion etc and will be back to Bangalore soon.
Old 29th August 2008, 16:28   #74
Senior - BHPian

Happily, all towns are bypassed. But if you do have to go into any town in Maharashtra, the octroi guys will be after you if the payload is very prominent. Ensure that whatever luggage is visible looks like only suitcases, etc, and if you are visibly carrying TVs, etc, you may be stopped and harassed, especiallay when you are entering Bombay city.
Old 29th August 2008, 16:37   #75
Senior - BHPian

If u leave by 3 am,boy o boy u ll be having some fun on the highway.Almost no vehicular traffic and the highway is all yours.
When i was returning back to bangalore even i planned to leave by 3am but ended up leaving at 7 am and with the pathetic city traffic ended up reaching mumbai only by 9 in the night.
This included one stop for lunch at belgaum and one refuelling stop.Trip report comin up soon.
Oh btw the car was a jet black 2005 maruti zen.High revving,tall gearing..wink wink.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks