Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2008, 20:39   #31
BHPian

I did Pune - Davanagere some days back - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-updated.html

u say you know the route till Hubli.
Well the bad stretch starts around Haveri : lot of diversions and potholes. I went till Davanagere only. But i had done Pune - Bangalore a month back. Roads are bad till Chitradurga
Old 14th March 2008, 23:44   #32
BHPian

read your travelogue BP, nice one! Sorry, u cd not go to Kodai, butlovely snaps. What was that very narrow road you took your I10 on?

So the stretch between Haveri and Chitradurga is bad. Is it around 140km? Can it be covered in 3 hrs?
Old 10th May 2008, 01:25   #33
BHPian

good piece of information here..Thanks to all for sharing..
yesterday afternoon (around 12 hours back)my wife and I had a small discussion about what to do this one and half week vacation - decided to go to Rajkot (Blr - Pune - Mumbai - Baroda - AMD - Rajkot), spend a 3-4 days and return back...
Did not have much time to do lot of research as I have lil work so finished it in the evening.. shall start at around 6 or 7 AM in the morning and see how far I can drive before we take rest...
I Shall read more about other experiance, but one thing is sure we have decided and leaving in the morning..

I saw ramky's log, its really nice information there, If required any help, I shall call Abhi (primary) or Kumar sir. Others if you have some log books or route information to share, please let me know, I shall keep checking this thread during breaks..
Thanks.

Last edited by Ketan : 10th May 2008 at 01:27.
Old 10th May 2008, 09:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ketan,
Blr-Mumbai can be done in 12 to 15 hours and as you might have read in my travelogue there are some stretches around Davengere, Ranibennur,Haveri and Hubli which were bad when i did this sector in December and January and am not sure about whether this stretch has been laid up or not now.
Once you reach Belgaum, its the most lovely tarmac you would see leading to Pune and then the Expressway will anyway be a delight to drive by.
I suppose Kumar will be able to give you updates on the roads beyond Mumbai to Ahmedabad and Baroda.

Have a safe trip and moreover enjoy the drive.

Go through this travelogue of mine to help you out until Mumbai
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-week-end.html

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 10th May 2008 at 09:56.
Old 11th May 2008, 10:48   #35
BHPian

Bangalore to Mumbai

Team,
I am planing to travel from Bangalore to Mumbai with Family and hence looking for advice on the travel. I am the only driver and the rest of the folks in the famil don't drive.

I want to know hte best route and also a place where we can halt overnight as I want to avoid driving in the night with family.

I did see many posts on this but would appreciate if someone can advice on the specific halts i would like.

As i understand one place to halt is Belgaum, but if i do cross that place earlier is there any other place where i can halt overnght or is it best to halt at Belgaum only. Also with the Reliance Petrol pumps shutting down do we get places to stop over for bio-breaks.

Cheers
Rohinton
Old 11th May 2008, 11:01   #36
Team-BHP Support

Hi

More info here

We recommend Sankam Residency in Belgaum - just off the highway 08314287888

Hubli-Dharwar stretch is bad. After Karnataka, life is so much easier till you enter mumbai
Old 11th May 2008, 11:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

I have done this stretch in Dec-Jan and do follow these threads for pointers.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-roadtrip.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-week-end.html

As Ajmat has pointed out the Hubli -Dharwar stretch is still bad in patches as i heard since my trip. So do watch out for some major potholes and very very bad stretches near Davengere, Haveri, Hubli and Dharwar and the links above should be of help.
Old 11th May 2008, 11:50   #38
Team-BHP Support

Just did this route a month back. The roads have improved a lot. The main bottle neck is Tumkur road. Try and avoid it. Best thing is to get onto Nice road and join tumkur road. The stretch from yeshvanthpur to Nice corridor exit on tumkur road may take 3 hours as there is road widening going on and it's reduced to single lane.

Leave early in the morning. Stop at Belgaum(500kms) or advisable is kolhapur(650kms).
Old 11th May 2008, 11:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Just did this route a month back. The roads have improved a lot. The main bottle neck is Tumkur road. Try and avoid it. Best thing is to get onto Nice road and join tumkur road. The stretch from yeshvanthpur to Nice corridor exit on tumkur road may take 3 hours as there is road widening going on and it's reduced to single lane.

Leave early in the morning. Stop at Belgaum(500kms) or advisable is kolhapur(650kms).
So Vidyut! are those bad patches in and around Davengere, Haveri, Hubli and Dharwar been laid up. If not for these stretches NH4 was like a dream to drive on especially from Belgaum.
Old 11th May 2008, 12:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

I travelled in this NH4 between bangalore - haveri few weeks back. In the month of March itself all potholes are filled and i can see hardly 5km bad road.

I do agree what Vid has pointed out, Road between Yeshvantpura - NICE road junction is full of traffic jams as road widening work is going on.

NH4 is improved a lot now for sure, We could easily cover 330km from bangalore - haveri within 6 hours drive even with slow driving (80-90kmph) and with 1 hour break in between.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 11th May 2008 at 12:04.
Old 11th May 2008, 12:31   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
So Vidyut! are those bad patches in and around Davengere, Haveri, Hubli and Dharwar been laid up. If not for these stretches NH4 was like a dream to drive on especially from Belgaum.
Not laid up but not as bad as november last year. They have been patched up not laid completely remade. The most time is lost going through Ranibennur village. Last time the 3 car convoy we went in was scraping through but this time no such incident even with the fully laden low lancer.

I left my house near MG road at 6:30am and was in pune at 7pm. Was with folks and luggage so no ripping just cruising. No incidents whatso ever.

Infact I was in Kolhapur by 3:30pm so did not make sense to stop.
Old 12th May 2008, 00:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Just returned from Bangalore an hour ago. Road is excellent butt for he following problems:
- Tumkur bypass is incomplete, don't miss the turn into the bypass
- Chitradurga bypass is incomplete, but in OK condition
- Davanger-Harihar bypass is incomplete, but there are no bad sections, expect it to crack up during the rains
- Ranebennur bypass is incomplete, go through town, road is pachy. After Ranebennur, road is in bad condition, be careful in some sections. Level crossings are still unbridged, expect delays
- Haveri bypass is complete, good, except in South end which is a little bad
- From Haveri onwards, it is a runway all the way to Bombay.

My timings from Bombay to Banglore-Peenya (onward journey) was 11.5 hours, of which Bombay-Hubli 600 kms plus was in 6.5 hours.

Hotels en route apart from Sankam Residency in Belgaum (too early) are Sai Resort after Kolhapur, Hotel Kinara at Karad and Hotel Mahendra at Satara. Sadanand Residency is a new hotel on Pune bypass.

Reliance A1 Plaza operational (towards Bangalore) before Tumkur, as also Upchar Kamat (also towards South)

Upchar Kamat near Sira (towards South).

Hotel Golden on Davangere bypass, not great.

BPCL Ghar after Hubli-Dharwad bypass ends.

Sankam Residency at Belgaum.
Old 8th July 2008, 12:00   #43
BHPian

Guys,
I have to do b'lore - mumbai roadtrip in couple of days.. pl. let me know on the road conditions.. my equipment is ALTO LX.... startpoint would be J P Nagar and destination would be Jogeshwari West. I would like to do this in single stretch... suggestions.. advice .. please.

Rgds,
JMaruru

Last edited by JMaruru : 8th July 2008 at 12:16.
Old 8th July 2008, 12:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

@JMaruru !
One of my friend had done this stretch around a month back and according to him the roads are fine and most of the bad stretches which i encountered during my trip around 7 months back were laid up according to him. Mostly in Ranibennur, you might hit a relatively small stretch that is not laid and is not that bad either. NH4 is an excellently maintained highway and you can easily do it in 15 hrs.

I did my road trip in my alto 1.1 and since you are in JP nagar, I suggest you try to get on the NICE Road that connects the Tumkur road after intercepting the mysore road in between. You can avoid most of the traffic that is on the road going to Tumkur from Yashwanthpur or on the ORR through Peenya Industrial estate.

For your information just check this link
Namma Benguluru - Amchi Mumbai - Namma Benguluru Round Trip during New Year Week End
Old 8th July 2008, 15:39   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
@JMaruru !

For your information just check this link
Namma Benguluru - Amchi Mumbai - Namma Benguluru Round Trip during New Year Week End
@VJ_MAVRICK: Thanx. VJ...

Also pl. suggest me on what would be the better food joints to stopover for breakfast n lunch on NH4.. i would be leaving b'lore around 3 - 4 AM.

Most Viewed