Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 08:31   #166
BHPian

Ankola - Yellapur - Hubli (NH63)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
...If the Hubli Ankola road is good then I would prefer that road even if a little longer. The last time I drove I had hell on the NH4 but the Hubli-Ankola road per se was fine.
@deepakvrao, I have done the Ankola - Hubli stretch a couple of months ago. [Last week of December 08] when we were going from Gokarna to Hubli.

Ankola - Yellapur - Hubli is NH63 and the road condition was quite good. No major bad sections or potholes encountered. [There were a few unmarked speedbreakers close to Hubli.]

I don't know about the current road conditions of the parallel 'Hubli - Sirsi - Kumta' stretch, but I agree with @akroy's comment in his travelogue that all heavy vehicle traffic is on the NH63, so the Hubli - Kumta stretch should be a more relaxed drive.

Last edited by hotstuff : 16th February 2009 at 08:38.
Old 16th February 2009, 08:31   #167
BANNED

Abhi,

I have read every post and every thread WRT Bang-Goa but that thread is 2 years old so no validity WRT road condition now.
Old 16th February 2009, 08:32   #168
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post
@deepakvrao, I have done the Ankola - Hubli stretch a couple of months ago. [Last week of December 08] when we were going from Gokarna to Hubli.

Ankola - Yellapur - Hubli is NH63 and the road condition was quite good. No major bad sections or potholes encountered. [There were a few unmarked speedbreakers close to Hubli.]
Just what I needed - Thanks a bunch. Will post back after my drive too.
Old 16th February 2009, 09:19   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Abhi,

I have read every post and every thread WRT Bang-Goa but that thread is 2 years old so no validity WRT road condition now.
Yes I know. I directed you to this thread because the road condition via Havari - Sirsi is same or better when we travelled 2 yrs back

Abhi
Old 16th February 2009, 13:47   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Yes I know. I directed you to this thread because the road condition via Havari - Sirsi is same or better when we travelled 2 yrs back

Abhi
Better when you traveled 2 yrs back? or better now?
Old 16th February 2009, 14:28   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Better when you traveled 2 yrs back? or better now?
Better now of course !!

Anyway, since mining trucks are low these days due to recession you can now choose Ankola (NH63) or the Sawantawadi route (to go to Panaji and Northwards) as well.

Abhi
Old 16th February 2009, 15:34   #172
BANNED

Just got a change of plan Abhi, and we need to go to north Goa. Any details on how t get the Sawantwadi road? Thanks for the help.
Old 16th February 2009, 15:55   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got a change of plan Abhi, and we need to go to north Goa. Any details on how t get the Sawantwadi road? Thanks for the help.
You have to go Northwards towards belgaum and then take left. There is also another route left from Kittur. Also go through the the thread Bangalore - Goa which you have started

Suggest you to PM snaronikar (search his travelogue here) or mclaren1885 who have done the recently.

Abhi
Old 24th February 2009, 14:49   #174
BHPian

Thanks to Akroy and VJ Mavirck's tips I travelled Bangalore to Pune solo in December last year. Started Bangalore at 4 AM and was at my home in Pune at 5:15PM. I am travelling again to Pune tomorrow. I hope road after Chitradugra has improved. My wife is also accompanying me this time. Any updates on road conditions?
Old 21st April 2009, 15:52   #175
BHPian

Blr-Mumbai

Guys i'm planning to do Blr-Mumbai in 1 day. Was looking up Yahoo maps, it shows a diversion at Satara (NH17) joining the Mumbai-Pune expressway somewhere in the middle. Is this route advisable or go right short of Pune and take the Mumbai-Pune expressway all along ?
Have done Blr-Pune earlier but never Blr-Mumbai need your valuable inputs.
Old 21st April 2009, 16:00   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Guys i'm planning to do Blr-Mumbai in 1 day. Was looking up Yahoo maps, it shows a diversion at Satara (NH17) joining the Mumbai-Pune expressway somewhere in the middle. Is this route advisable or go right short of Pune and take the Mumbai-Pune expressway all along ?
Have done Blr-Pune earlier but never Blr-Mumbai need your valuable inputs.
I suggest you to take Pune-Mumbai Expressway and dont take any diversions anywhere. NH4 will directly take you to the Expressway.
Old 21st April 2009, 16:00   #177
BHPian

luky 13 its better to drive straight short of pune and then touch the Mumbai-Pune expressway.
Old 21st April 2009, 16:27   #178
BHPian

Thanks for the tips, any bad patches to watch out for ? Any nice places to eat.
Old 21st April 2009, 16:47   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Thanks for the tips, any bad patches to watch out for ? Any nice places to eat.

I've done the Pune - Bangalore stretch thrice in the past 2 years and the latest was in Oct 2008.

So,Depending on early that you'd start, you can stop over for Breakfast at Kolhapur and then lunch at Hubli and if thats too early, you can stop over at Davanagere (There is one good hotel on the highway and you dont need to go into the town).

Even today, the Haveri - Chitradurga stretch is not done and there are stupid diversions here and there and its always better to stick to speeds adequate to slow down for those suddent diversions rather than abruptly brake. This whole stretch is about 120 Kms with Half done work and interchanging lanes due to diversions.

Later to this, Drive from Chitradurga to Nelemangala is a bliss, only that you'll encounter those sand lorries either crawling at 30kmph on the right lane or completely standstill and brokedown. You'll also see those TN, KA and AP registered lorries (and Private cars too) who'd stick to their right and expect you to overtake from left no matter how much you honk.

Ironically, the same truckers behave decently once you pass Hubli (if you are driving northwards) and this is the stretch where you need to forget the brakes and drive smoothly and realise the fact that the right lane is always open for you to overtake.

I am sure you'll have similar stories to tell. Happy driving.
Old 21st April 2009, 17:58   #180
BHPian

Agree with paragsachania on the Chitradurga stretch and the drive from Blr city to Tumkur is painful as you are travelling Blr - Mum you can aviod the same by taking the Yelahanka - Dodballapur - Dabaspet route to exit the city its a faster way to aviod the major traffic you will reach NH4 just 20 Kms before Tumkur; any one who has travelled on this route in the recent past can highlight about the condition of the road.

You can stop at Chitradurga A1 (i guess its still open) for breakfast and lunch can be at Belgaum - Kolhapur depends on the time you reach; Belgaum has lot of good eateries, there is a McD at Kolhapur.

I did Blr-Mum in about 15 hrs in Oct 08. If you leave before 5 AM you can reach Thane by 7 PM

Most Viewed