Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2009, 22:53   #286
Senior - BHPian

^^ Guys the whole equation changes during the rains. Speeds drop to 60 on even good stretches. @viveklk, SX4 has a high GC so it won't cause those many problems. Low GC cars suffer the most at railway crossings and badly designed humps.
Old 17th September 2009, 08:36   #287

StarVegabond, pkumar thanks much for the inputs. In all likelihood I will post updates on my trip on Saturday.
Old 17th September 2009, 11:10   #288
BHPian

Am driving down in this stretch tomorrow. But the outlook does not look very promising. That Chitradurga - Haveri stretch any was is bad and rain will make it worse what with all those construction mud coming onto the roads.

Am planning to leave by 12:00 PM and reach Pune by around 12:00 AM. I think Starvegabond's is conservative. Rain generally does not screw up GQ roads very badly. Chitradurga - Koramangala 3rd Block, I have done in 3.5 hours, just three weeks back via NICE road.

Nainar
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:22   #289
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Returned from a Belgaum - Bangalore trip.

There is some work going on but as I had said earlier it is a piece meal approach. Dug outs and pot holes are being filled and there are folks near the diversions who are stopping vehicles and dictating directions helping avoid bad stretches. I'm talking about the Haveri - Chitraduga stretch. A slight improvement.

I cannot help but comment on the conditions of the road and traffic while entering Bangalore city. From the last toll near the city to my house, it is 40 odd kms. It took me 2 hours to cover these 40 odd kms. The construction, the rains, the pathetic driving etiquettes are playing havoc and is a prime example of indiscipline in this city. There were several road rages, accidents and rat races. More than the above mentioned stretch, it is this stretch which nearly caused me a nervous breakdown.
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:31   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
I cannot help but comment on the conditions of the road and traffic while entering Bangalore city. From the last toll near the city to my house, it is 40 odd kms. It took me 2 hours to cover these 40 odd kms. The construction, the rains, the pathetic driving etiquettes are playing havoc and is a prime example of indiscipline in this city. There were several road rages, accidents and rat races. More than the above mentioned stretch, it is this stretch which nearly caused me a nervous breakdown.
Jayant, Did you take the NICE detour ? Most of your woes would have been avoided using this stretch. I agree, the first time I did not know about the NICE Route into the City and I had a torrid time venturing the usual way. 1.45 hours from there to my house.
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:49   #291
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Jayant, Did you take the NICE detour ? Most of your woes would have been avoided using this stretch. I agree, the first time I did not know about the NICE Route into the City and I had a torrid time venturing the usual way. 1.45 hours from there to my house.
Correct me if I am wrong. NICE detour works fine if you are staying in the south - Koramangala, Jayangar, BTM...etc. I stay in Sanjaynagar, close to New BEL road.

For Sanjaynagar, would NICE be a still better option? Where in Bangalore does this end?
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:56   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong. NICE detour works fine if you are staying in the south - Koramangala, Jayangar, BTM...etc.
El Correcto! The road ends on Bannerghatta road, Gotigere, near mahalaxmi temple and Islamia Institute of technology..
Quote:
For Sanjaynagar, would NICE be a still better option? Where in Bangalore does this end?
Sanjay nagar, no Idea buddy. Where is Sanjay Nagar ?
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:01   #293
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sanjay nagar, no Idea buddy. Where is Sanjay Nagar ?
North of Bangalore - towards Airport road, between Mekhri circle and Hebbal flyover. So, I guess NICE would not be a suitable option
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:20   #294

Quote:
North of Bangalore - towards Airport road, between Mekhri circle and Hebbal flyover. So, I guess NICE would not be a suitable option

Hey, I think for you, best option is to take Tumkur road via yeshwantpur, dosent make sense to go via NICE road.

I am planning to travel this weekend to Bombay. Are the road conditions really bad?

Thanks,
Nirav.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:21   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Depends, if you reach Bangy/nelmangala Monday morning rush hour, then stick to your general route. If you reach afternoon-ish on the weekends or otherwise also then you might reach earlier Via NICE. Atleast it is much less stressful, rather than boiling your blood right from Nelmangala to Sanjaynagar.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:24   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Returned from a Belgaum - Bangalore trip.

Not sure about conditions during rain, but there is some workaround for moving on this stretch.
Be always on the left lane, and overtake from left too. I know that it is not the theoretically correct suggestion, but that is what works on this particular stretch. The left lane is much faster. Also you may want to take the service road very often. If on the "actual road" (and not the service lane), you may be stuck behind a heavy slow moving vehicle for a long distance, no room for overtake.
I believe Neelamangala to Bangalore is much faster than Bangalore to Neelmanagala.

P.S. - Probably i am part of the indiscipline you have mentioned.

Last edited by pkumar : 22nd September 2009 at 10:26.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:27   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
I believe Neelamangala to Bangalore is much faster than Bangalore to Neelmanagala.
Depends on the time. Morning, with people rushing to enter Bangalore for work from Tumkur and other villages, exiting would be fine. On Friday evenings, exiting Bangalore on that stretch is, is, I don't know if we have a word for that in the dictionary.
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:01   #298
BHPian

Trip Mumbai-Bangalore 25-26 Sep

Great Inputs , guys. fantastic bits of info.

I have a road trip coming up this weekend with a friend of mine.
Plan (currently) to leave Navi Mumbai on Friday by 6 -7 pm reach Pune by 10pm. rest at friend's house.
Leave on Sat morning ( hopefully by 8) drive till Hubli and then relax.
Leave on Sun morning for Banglaore to reach by evening

Why the breaks? Well I have an aged M800 which is to be delivered in Bangalore(that is the reason for this trip). And the Pal does not want to drive beyond 4-5 pm!

Looks like the Haveri - Ranebennur - Chitradurga stretch is still painful. Any recent updates after the post indicating that some potholes were being filled and folks to do diversions?

Also, I want to see places too but my friend is like "No diversions.. Pit-stop and Thats it". So guys, know of any good diversions which does not span max 50km diversion on that route?

The good foodie stuff collected so far are
1. In Dharwad, there is a Link Bazaar peda. Aparently, is a hot item to get even by local standards and elusive since the fella makes only 50 odd kgs a day.
2. There is this wada mirchi stuff along the hubli-dharwad stretch, pretty famous, they say.

Any other noteworthy stops for food or views that can enrich the trip?

Thanks in advance and have a great day.
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:54   #299
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Depends, if you reach Bangy/nelmangala Monday morning rush hour, then stick to your general route. If you reach afternoon-ish on the weekends or otherwise also then you might reach earlier Via NICE. Atleast it is much less stressful, rather than boiling your blood right from Nelmangala to Sanjaynagar.
Yup, makes sense. Will try this next time. Thanks!
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:01   #300
BHPian

I drove this route yesterday starting from Bannerghatta road and could'nt believe my timings atleast upto Tumkur. I touched Tumkur Coffee day in 1 hour 10 minutes, starting from L&T South city by 7:05 AM, was stopping at Coffee day at 8:15 AM. NICE Road does work well for South Bangalore and Bannerghatta road people. Was at Ghar Dhaba after Ranibennur by 11:45 had a nice lunch.I lost time taking a power nap for 45 minutes from 12:45 till 1:30 and then the raid gods opened up after Kohlapur. It was raining cats and dogs and I could drive only at 60 KMPH because of poor visibility for almost two hours till I crossed Satara, stopped for coffee in between . Still I managed to enter my Warje home by 7:20 PM. Without those, it could have been just 10.5 hours.

So, through NICE road, one can easily shave off an hour.

The stretch between Chitradurga - Ranibennur - Haveri is treacherous. Some filling of potholes activity is going on, but the road are in very bad condition. Have to be extremely watchful.

Nainar

Most Viewed