Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2009, 10:07   #256
BHPian

shubhodeepdas@g: Nice review; looks like the road conditions are not the same and have take a toss. Hopefully they will rectify after rains.

Just waiting to see which year the Devangere - Ranibennur stretch gets completed.
Old 21st August 2009, 10:14   #257
BHPian

Just did Bangalore - Mumbai - Bangalore

Just did the Bangalore - Mumbai - Bangalore stretch over the last weekend on work.

Last edited by shubhodeepdas@g : 21st August 2009 at 10:27. Reason: Multiple copy posted
Old 21st August 2009, 10:26   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
shubhodeepdas@g: Nice review; looks like the road conditions are not the same and have take a toss. Hopefully they will rectify after rains.

Just waiting to see which year the Devangere - Ranibennur stretch gets completed.
I doubt it will ever get completed. There is no sign of any work that is going on on that stretch. I just saw some guys fitting a guard rail on the median at one place, that's about it.

@prince_pervez: The timings can be better but that would involve undue risk taking on a road that is not made for such speeds. Plus, day time sees a lot of short distance travelers as well.
Old 21st August 2009, 11:13   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Agreed, this is the most treacherous stretch now. Rains might have battered this even more. I am planning to do this adventure September end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
I doubt it will ever get completed. There is no sign of any work that is going on on that stretch. I just saw some guys fitting a guard rail on the median at one place, that's about it.

@prince_pervez: The timings can be better but that would involve undue risk taking on a road that is not made for such speeds. Plus, day time sees a lot of short distance travelers as well.
Yes, its been going on since a long time now. I don't think we can see any light any sooner. And safety is a concern that is why I try to clear this stretch at around 9AM when the traffic is scarse. Then go onto the Hubli - Belgaum - Kolhapur - Pune - Mum. Alas it does not work as planned everytime.
Old 21st August 2009, 11:27   #260
BHPian

prince_pervez: Even I am planning a trip in end Sept to Dandeli and Goa; I am sure if it rains between now and then we will have a bad time travelling.
Old 21st August 2009, 11:34   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
prince_pervez: Even I am planning a trip in end Sept to Dandeli and Goa; I am sure if it rains between now and then we will have a bad time travelling.
Lets hope by that time, not much damage is done and someone keeps updating this thread.
Old 21st August 2009, 12:05   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I am not sure whether the Tumkur road connect is compelted or not. And to be very frank I'm not sure whether that is in the plan. But there is an extension at the end of it (road) so I am very hopeful.
Currently the NICE road does not touch Tumkur road directly.
The NICE road ends at Nelmanglala and you have to cross that patch not so good road to reach Tumkur.
When the NICE road by-passes Nelmangala then it would be heaven road not NICE road.
The NICE road connectivity to Tumkur road is complete since few months back. I travelled on this stretch in April. NICE road ends at Tumkur road (NH4) just near the RTO check post before Nelamangala. Nelamangala is few kms away from this intersection and it was never planned to bypass Nelamangala.
Old 21st August 2009, 12:21   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
The NICE road connectivity to Tumkur road is complete since few months back. I travelled on this stretch in April. NICE road ends at Tumkur road (NH4) just near the RTO check post before Nelamangala. Nelamangala is few kms away from this intersection and it was never planned to bypass Nelamangala.
Let me get this straight. See last time I travelled, the NICE gets over when you take the right hand descend to touch Nelmangala. Right ?
I mean, you have to cross over to the right side of NICE and take a descend to get on to Nelmangala which takes you ultimately to Tumkur.
This is what I saw last time and meant here.

If you are saying that you no longer have to take that descent and get on that horrible road, but directly go straight ahead and stop at that toll then things have changed. I think there is a petrol bunk also just after the toll on the LHS. Is that correct ?
Old 21st August 2009, 12:46   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Let me get this straight. See last time I travelled, the NICE gets over when you take the right hand descend to touch Nelmangala. Right ?
I mean, you have to cross over to the right side of NICE and take a descend to get on to Nelmangala which takes you ultimately to Tumkur.
This is what I saw last time and meant here.

If you are saying that you no longer have to take that descent and get on that horrible road, but directly go straight ahead and stop at that toll then things have changed. I think there is a petrol bunk also just after the toll on the LHS. Is that correct ?
After the last toll on the NICE road, you have to take left ramp to connect to Tumkur road. Once you join tumkur road, first you will see the RTO check post on your left side. The Nelamangala signal (intersection of NH4 and NH48) is few kms away from this point.

If you go straight after the last toll on the NICE road instead of taking the left ramp, it will connect you to the tumkur road towards peenya and yeshwantpur.

When did you travel last on NICE road? I guess it was much before the completion of this stretch. I travelled in the month of Jan and April, and I did not see any change.

Last edited by Selective : 21st August 2009 at 12:48.
Old 21st August 2009, 14:40   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
After the last toll on the NICE road, you have to take left ramp to connect to Tumkur road. Once you join tumkur road, first you will see the RTO check post on your left side. The Nelamangala signal (intersection of NH4 and NH48) is few kms away from this point.

If you go straight after the last toll on the NICE road instead of taking the left ramp, it will connect you to the tumkur road towards peenya and yeshwantpur.

When did you travel last on NICE road? I guess it was much before the completion of this stretch. I travelled in the month of Jan and April, and I did not see any change.
Ohh you know what ? We are talking about the same thing in opp directions. You are returning to BLR and I am moving away from it . I got you want to say. All in all nothing has changed. It is the same. But I will go and check for myself sometime.
Old 21st August 2009, 19:59   #266
BHPian

Quote:
If you are saying that you no longer have to take that descent and get on that horrible road, but directly go straight ahead and stop at that toll then things have changed.
You have to take the off ramp onto NH4 at the end of NICE road, or the on ramp from NH4 to get to NICE road. You will have to cross the NH4 - NH48 - Neelamangala Junction (with the Petrol Pump on the left immediately after NH48) and head to the toll gate about 400 meters after that. No escaping the torture there.
Old 22nd August 2009, 08:11   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Considering if you leave at 12 Noon you make still take 2.5 hrs to reach Tumkur; You can try catching up NICE road from Kanakpura reaching NICE will take you about 45 minutes if the traffic is peak and from there it will be a breeze till you are off on the NH4 may be max 20 minutes. Overall you can save 1/2 hrs I guess if you dont get any traffic.
Well you were absolutely right. thanks for your wonderful suggestion of going via NICE Road. It worked for me. I left at 1:00PM from Koramangala, reached banerghatta NICE road entry at 1:30pm, touched NH4 at 2:00pm and was at Tumkur at 2:50pm. I did save atleast 30 mins by going via NICE Road (and of course the harrasement of Yeshwantpur-Neelamangala road)
As I sit now in Sankam residency in Belgaum, ready to leave for Mumbai, am looking forward to the drive now, knowing well that all the bad patches (those 200kms after davangere were quite bad as compared to the rest of the distance) are done away with and the road from here on is going to be absolutely fantastic
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:19   #268
BHPian

Manish: Good to know it worked well; lucky you did not get stuck in any traffic at Banerghatta road. I guess you will be in Bombay by 3-4 PM.

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi; wish I could make it to Bombay for the festival too.
Old 23rd August 2009, 20:12   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Weekend update on Pune - Blr Stretch

Just back to Bangalore from Pune on yesterday.

Pune - Satara - Potholes have developed (some huge ones) especially before and after Khambhatki Ghat.

Satara - Kolhapur - This one remains in good condition as most of this is concretized.

Kolhapur - Belgaum - Dharwad Byepass - Awesome as usual.

Dharwad- Hubli Byepass - No change, remains good as well.

Hubli Exit - Shiggaon - Haveri - Again good.

Haveri - Ranibennur - Harihar - Chitradurga - Has gone worse, especially at the railway crossings as well as all the "take deviation" sections since large potholes have developed due to incessant rains in the past.
One should rather be slow than usual to avoid running over a couple of them.
On the brighter side, work is in steady progress on the actual construction (seemed a rather slow to me with very less people working) and even the potholes were being covered wherever required.

Chitradurga - Sira - Tumkur - Remains good.

Tumkur - Byepass - Horrible and with those speed breakers, traffic get jammed most of the times, especially in the evenings.

It was never fun to enter Bangalore whenever I did this trip and this time too it was horrible all the way from Tumkur till Jalahalli Cross (Blame in on the rush for Ganesh Chaturthi as well).

Having travelled 800 odd kms with an almost ease, these last few hours can be really a test for one's patience.

On a colleague's Safari (2.0 Turbo) we had started from Pune at 5-45am to reach BEL Circle at 7-30pm with steady speeds of 90-100-110kmph and 3 stops.

I totally agree with prince-pervez that leaving as early as 4am from Bangalore/Pune will save good amount of time and patience crossing Tumkur, C'Durga, Ranibennur (or Karad, Satara, Kolhapur way back) and it has always worked for me.

As usual It is much more fun reaching Pune with a clear entry after driving such long distances than reaching Blr anytime during the day/night (We were stuck at Nelemangala Check post at 1-30am for 45 minutes once).

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd August 2009 at 20:16.
Old 24th August 2009, 11:00   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish123 View Post
Well you were absolutely right. thanks for your wonderful suggestion of going via NICE Road. It worked for me. I left at 1:00PM from Koramangala, reached banerghatta NICE road entry at 1:30pm, touched NH4 at 2:00pm and was at Tumkur at 2:50pm. I did save atleast 30 mins by going via NICE Road (and of course the harrasement of Yeshwantpur-Neelamangala road)
That is cool! less than 2 hours to Tumkur from Koramangala. I will try that while returning.

My onward journey got changed in the last minute. I decided to drive via hyderabad as I had to meet a friend. So, on Friday morning I left, drove to Hyderabad, spend the evening and next day there and left Hyderabad to Pune via Sholapur on Sunday. It was a nightmare as well as very pleasant experience together. The traffic was night mare, but the rain was absolutely fantastic. Nothing beats the adrenaline in twisted two lane, and heavy rain.

Nainar

Most Viewed