Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2019, 12:54   #2356
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
No, Belgaum definitely does not have parking woes as much as any of the biggies like Pune/Mumbai/Bangalore. Trust me, I am a native of Belgaum. Firstly most new roads are broad and traffic is not heavy as much you get to see in metros. All the popular hotels in my city have good parking space in their lots. Your best bet would be Hotel Ramdev just about 2 kms, on your left side, as you enter Belgaum from Mumbai side. They have a huge parking space.
Thank you all for the recommendations.
Being a Mumbai guy parking woes are part of my daily life so always a factor on my mind. Yes we stopped at Hotel Ramdev for lunch; the N-Veg food was excellent and the staff was very friendly. In fact we also picked up some yummy 'Kunda' from them.

On the return journey we stopped at Tumkur Tatte Idli which is in a narrow lane opposite Ramdev. Good breakfast, on the spicy side which did not please the wife but set me up properly for the long drive ahead.
Chinmayd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 20:31   #2357
BHPian

Hey All,

I am planning a trip to Vadodara from Bangalore with wife and a hyperactive toddler. I need help planning this well as I have never traveled on this route. I plan to cover till Pune on day 1, stay overnight and then proceed to Vadodara on day 2.

Are there any child friendly stop overs on this route where kids can also stretch their legs and get some much needed play time. I know one place from Bangalore-Hyderabad highway called Dolphin, it has couple of slides and swings and the place is also alright for light lunch and dinner.

Google maps shows a time of ~13 hrs to Pune and then ~9 hrs from Pune to Vadodara. Bangalore to Vadodara is a total distance of 1380 Kms. What will be the ideal points to refuel as I have to cover 850 km on day 1 and around 530 on day 2. I will be traveling in a 2016 Honda City, which should give me a safe range of 500 - 550 km before a need to refuel.

Any other suggestions and pointers would be great.
Old 10th January 2019, 22:56   #2358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
I am planning a trip to Vadodara from Bangalore with wife and a hyperactive toddler.
If you want to maintain good average speeds, you have do a 4am start. I could think of Davangere Apoorva for breakfast, but I think it might tad too early from Bangalore. I crossed Nelamangala toll at 5:30AM and it was 8:10 AM reaching Apoorva. My kids were too sleepy to play here. We were at 1:30 PM (so approximately 8.5-9 hrs from Bangalore) in Kolhapur McD on the same journey, where we spent a good hour.

Kolhapur McD to Pune bypass should take about 4 hours.

Fuel stops are no problem at all. Given the 6-laning of Chitradurga-Hubli. It'd be ideal if you fill up at Bangalore and and choose a pump beyond Hubli Circle (from the first post). The reason being, the entry points for such stops in the WIP stretch are not ideal.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 23:00   #2359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey All,
I am planning a trip to Vadodara from Bangalore with wife and a hyperactive toddler

Are there any child friendly stop overs on this route where kids can also stretch their legs and get some much needed play time. I know one place from Bangalore-Hyderabad highway called Dolphin, it has couple of slides and swings and the place is also alright for light lunch and dinner.

Google maps shows a time of ~13 hrs to Pune and then ~9 hrs from Pune to Vadodara.

I'm thinking aloud. If you push just a little more on day 1, you can look for a good place at Lonavla or Khandala and perhaps spend a day here and take it easy.

Last edited by ampere : 13th January 2019 at 19:09. Reason: removed extra space from quoted post
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 09:15   #2360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any child friendly stop overs on this route where kids can also stretch their legs and get some much needed play time.
You may not get child friendly stops except one or two between Bangalore and Kolhapur but post Kolhapur there would be many of these hotels with a kids' play area.

In fact, at times, when my kid was a toddler and I used to drive on this circuit, I preferred opting for restaurants with open space (Kids love outdoors) so they could walk around while one of the parent eats and the other keeps an eye.

If summer, I would opt only for restaurants with AC so the kid is relaxed inside the restaurant than spend time under that hot sun and get more cranky later.

Apoorva Resorts will have a decent Kids play area. Followed by this would be Pai Resorts, Belgaum.

Then you have McDonalds Kolhapur where there is always some or the other activity for the kids outside including inflated slide, castle etc.

In Maharashtra, there would be many restaurants but you need to keep an eye on how many of these have a Kids' Play area. In fact, fuel stations spanning large area also is a good option for kids to stretch their legs, provided you have parked away from entry and exit points and are around the kid while It runs around for a while. I have done this couple of times.

Quote:
What will be the ideal points to refuel as I have to cover 850 km on day 1 and around 530 on day 2. I will be traveling in a 2016 Honda City, which should give me a safe range of 500 - 550 km before a need to refuel.
You can click here and have a look at the complete list.

I have driven the 3rd Gen Honda city all the way to Rajkot in 2011 and I do recollect that I had to refuel once at Belgaum (IOCL attached to Sankam) and then at Thane and again before Baroda expressway to be safer as you have just one fuel station between Vadodara and Ahmedabad.

So here are your options at/after Pune:

Here are options for you to stop by for a break between Thane and Vadodara:

Quote:
  • With a toddler in tow, always start as early as possible, so you cover maximum distance while the kid is asleep

• Have enough back-up in the car for your food/liquid needs so that the break gets decided when the kid is awake and you don't want to wake up your kid for a break. Hence any delays can be mitigated by the food you are carrying in the car itself

• Drive at steady pace and in control and anticipation that you have to brake less and give that little one a peaceful ride while its asleep

• Think of what the kid loves and carry stuff to keep him/her busy. On a long journey, few hours of screen time is totally OK

• Be wary about where you eat and what you eat - You don't want the kid to develop issues with bad stomach/food poisoning in the middle of nowhere

• Carry your own instant electric kettle for all the milk needs. No hotel or fuel station would say no if you want to use the plug point for a minute. I have done that quite a few times in the past

• Above all, be patient and don't get panicked or perturbed by a cranky kid while you are enjoying that drive - It is all part of such drives

Enjoy your drive!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th January 2019 at 09:16.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 12:20   #2361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
So one needs to pay the toll twice if staying at the hotel ? Once during entry to hotel and again when exiting out ?
I enquired about this at Dharwad toll on Hubli-Dharwad bypass of NH4 during my recent drive from Bombay to Vellore. So, the toll receipt is valid only for about half an hour or till the midnight 1200 of that particular day it seems. Actually the toll guy himself was confused and not clear on this. But I understood that its not valid for 24 hours for sure. So to answer your query, yes, you will have to pay twice if you stay enroute on HD Bypass and continue next day. This is ridiculous if you ask me. This stretch of bypass ,the dull looking toll receipt and everything feels like going back 10 years in life. Sorry, I know I am exaggerating, the road itself is very good but high time it's 6 laned and just one toll placed here.

I had similarly enquired at Khalapur toll on Mumbai--Pune Expressway, and even before I could explain the toll guy, he himself told me that the toll on MPEW is valid for 24 hours from the time of issue. So you can as well stay at Lonavala and proceed, as all you need to do is cross the toll at the other end of Expressway within 24 hours. This is actually how it should work and MPEW is clear on it

Last edited by vivek95 : 11th January 2019 at 12:22. Reason: Adding a sentence on query asked
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 12:45   #2362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, the toll receipt is valid only for about half an hour or till the midnight 1200 of that particular day it seems. Actually the toll guy himself was confused and not clear on this. But I understood that its not valid for 24 hours for sure.
So this logic of you exiting the booth once and the toll ticket becoming invalid held up good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I guess one needs to "EXIT" Off bypass to reach anywhere once you enter the bypass after paying for the ticket. So it's GAME OVER soon after you exit the bypass.

This logic I think becomes applicable when you purchase a ticket at 1145pm and exit at 1215am too because you can never really hold that ticket and stay at a hotel overnight since to do that you need to EXIT from one of the gates. The only way it becomes valid is by staying right there on that bypass which most won't do anyway.
Quote:
I had similarly enquired at Khalapur toll on Mumbai--Pune Expressway, and even before I could explain the toll guy, he himself told me that the toll on MPEW is valid for 24 hours from the time of issue. So you can as well stay at Lonavala and proceed, as all you need to do is cross the toll at the other end of Expressway within 24 hours. This is actually how it should work and MPEW is clear on it
With Expressway, I guess its easy to understand due to the fact the systems are computerized and they scan the receipt upon exit.

Talk about the Historical Hubli-Dharwad bypass, they still provide toll receipts like that local thug at a parking lot of your town's single screen cinema .
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 14:07   #2363
BHPian

Quote:
[*]With a toddler in tow, always start as early as possible, so you cover maximum distance while the kid is asleep
[*]Above all, be patient and don't get panicked or perturbed by a cranky kid while you are enjoying that drive - It is all part of such drives
Probably you will not require any other recommendations after Parag Sir's detailed post.

According to me above two points will hold lot of weight for your journey.

I travel a lot with 2 kids and agree with every point mentioned by Parag Sir.

Coming back to trip, Plan to reach Pune before 5 PM. It is very important, you as a driver, get sufficient rest before next day's drive.

I would recommend 4.30 AM start on both days.

By starting this early from Bangalore you will be able avoid usual Bangalore - Tumkur traffic and can cover distance much faster.

when you start from Pune at recommended time you should be able to cross Vasai creek before Mumbai/Thane traffic gets active.

Quote:
I plan to cover till Pune on day 1, stay overnight and then proceed to Vadodara on day 2
This sounds a perfect plan. I would recommend 2 hotels based on your entry time in Pune.

In case you are crossing last toll before Pune around 4 PM then I would recommend hotel which is nearer to Pune - Mumbai expressway. Sentosa Resorts will be appropriate as you will cross Pune without encountering evening peak hour traffic. Also next day it will be matter of 5-10 minutes before you reach the Pune - Mumbai expressway.

In case you are at the last toll gate at around 5.30 - 6.00 PM then I would recommend Hotel Deccan Pavillon. It doesn't make any sense to navigate through evening peak hour traffic after a drive of 12 hours to cross Pune and take halt. You can always start early next day to beat Pune peak hour traffic by being at this hotel.

Hotel Deccan Pavillon is nearer to Abhiruchi Mall. You can take your kid there in the evening. They have ample to offer for kids.

Other recommended Hotels in Pune are Hotel Holiday Inn and Hotel Orchid.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 13:51   #2364
BHPian

Thank you all for your replies. Especially Parag, for the comprehensive post. It basically answered all my queries, all the tips and information from you is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If you want to maintain good average speeds, you have do a 4am start. I could think of Davangere Apoorva for breakfast, but I think it might tad too early from Bangalore.
It will be difficult for me to leave earlier than 5:30 am, my daughter is a light sleeper and gets cranky if she is moved in her sleep, even though she may sleep later in the journey. So, I want her to get a good nights sleep before we leave.

Quote:
I'm thinking aloud. If you push just a little more on day 1, you can look for a good place at Lonavla or Khandala and perhaps spend a day here and take it easy.
I will not be able to break the journey as I need to reach Vadodara by Sunday night. Thanks for the idea though, will surely consider it next time.

Quote:
I would recommend 4.30 AM start on both days.

By starting this early from Bangalore you will be able avoid usual Bangalore - Tumkur traffic and can cover distance much faster.

when you start from Pune at recommended time you should be able to cross Vasai creek before Mumbai/Thane traffic gets active.
I will try and really hope I can do this on both days. If not, I will try to leave Pune by 9 am and it will be a Sunday so hopefully Mumbai/Thane traffic will not be so heavy to make much difference.

Also, is getting a Fastag really worth it considering as long a journey as I am about to undertake ? Does it save that much time to really make a difference ? I don't travel much on highways except for one trip in a year.
DonnieDarko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 09:48   #2365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It will be difficult for me to leave earlier than 5:30 am, my daughter is a light sleeper and gets cranky if she is moved in her sleep, even though she may sleep later in the journey. So, I want her to get a good nights sleep before we leave.
530-6 am is little too late. You might manage KA, but will get caught in evening MH traffic, which can be quite a pain in the rear.

My younger one is similar too, he does however sleep half-1 hr into the drive after initial crankiness. If yours is similar, you should still do an early start. Its almost a dream run till about Chitradurga-Davangere with that start timing. The result being you'll reach Pune well before sundown.

Quote:
The first drive I was trying to find this pump, but couldn't. No BP boards that I could spot from a distance.

Quote:
BPCL COCO @ Belur Industrial Estate, Dharwad ~ 440 Kms from Bangalore
This one was easy, filled here during the December 2018 drive. Neat service roads, in and out.
Old 14th January 2019, 09:54   #2366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The first drive I was trying to find this pump, but couldn't. No BP boards that I could spot from a distance
Reason why I mostly include google location along with the names.

The location of this pump is exactly where the maps show. Next time you may want to use navigation. This is quite a reliable station and can be a good alternate if you don't want to visit Sankam and continue after a refill on the Belgaum bypass itself.

Quote:
This one was easy, filled here during the December 2018 drive. Neat service roads, in and out.
This one has an exit to service lane right at the apex of a fast left handed curve. While driving along may not be a problem whenever we have driven in groups I have had to inform and warn the group to remain in slow lane at least 1 km before the exit comes. Else is quite a dangerous one.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th January 2019 at 09:57.
Old 14th January 2019, 10:06   #2367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reason why I mostly include google location along with the names.
I know I was on GMaps navigation then with Barde as the POI, wasn't confident from a few 100m ahead, also had some vehicles blocking the exit into service lane. So skipped and filled at the Hattarigi BPCL that time.

Never had trouble with any of the other NH4 POIs I had to stop.

Quote:
This one has an exit to service lane right at the apex of a fast left handed curve. While driving along may not be a problem whenever we have driven in groups I have had to inform and warn the group to remain in slow lane at least 1 km before the exit comes. Else is quite a dangerous one.
It is 3 km from Roti Ghar where I had lunch, hence wasn't carrying much speeds then.

These days, its the stops on the Hubli-Chitradurga stretch that are a pain, thanks to the 6-laning. The entry/exit ramps for such stops are in tatters. The one tried on return was this:

Last edited by narayans80 : 14th January 2019 at 10:19.
Old 14th January 2019, 10:13   #2368
BHPian

I think it's time we update the list of fuel stations including all the Reliance pumps and the two new Shell outlets. There are umpteen Reliance pumps from Bangalore to Pune/Mumbai, hence the request to update the list. I too will try my best to get the precise location on gmaps when I do my drive back to Bombay ( from Vellore/Chennai ) on 2nd February.
Old 14th January 2019, 10:14   #2369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
also had some vehicles blocking the exit into service lane. So skipped and filled at the Hattarigi BPCL that time.
Right. This is common here as Barde itself is a popular name in Belgaum as they operate Bus services. Most of the times, you will find their buses (and trucks) parked here on the service lane. Also, this section of the road is still closer to the hustle-bustle of Belgaum and it continues to resemble the characteristics of the service lane exit that one needs to take for Sankam too. After all, Belgaum and truck body building are synonymous .

Quote:
I think it's time we update the list of fuel stations including all the Reliance pumps and the two new Shell outlets. There are umpteen Reliance pumps from Bangalore to Pune/Mumbai, hence the request to update the list. I too will try my best to get the precise location on gmaps when I do my drive back to Bombay ( from Vellore/Chennai ) on 2nd February.
Already included last year when there was a query
Quote:
Here you go, in no particular order but I have mentioned on which side they will be:
  • After Hubli, Towards Bangalore : Location

• Before Dharwad, Towards Pune : Location

• After Sankeshwar, Towards Pune : Location

• After Khedshivpur - Towards Bangalore : Location

• Karad Bypass - Towards Bangalore : Location

• After Karad, Just near/Before Sai International, Towards Bangalore : Location

• After Kolhapur, Towards Pune : Location

• After Belgaum, Near Sankeshwar, Towards Pune: Location

• Before Hattarigi Toll Plaza, towards Bangalore: Location

• After Ranebennur bypass, towards Pune: Location

• After Chitradurga, towards Bangalore, Opp to VRL Depot: Location

• Between Tumkur and Dabaspet, Towards Bangalore: Location
On Shell, I guess I remember 2 entrants to the list. One of course if the newly opened shell around Vashi and the second is that re-opened at Khedshivpur after staying shut for a decade. One on Pune Bypass (Warje) is part of the list.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th January 2019 at 10:19.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 10:26   #2370
BHPian

Quote:
Right. This is common here as Barde itself is a popular name in Belgaum as they operate Bus services. Most of the times, you will find their buses (and trucks) parked here on the service lane. Also, this section of the road is still closer to the hustle-bustle of Belgaum and it continues to resemble the characteristics of the service lane exit that one needs to take for Sankam too. After all, Belgaum and truck body building are synonymous .
True that. Belgaum is popular for its truck body building, especially Kakati and Honaga suburbs. The exit lane at Barde is normally blocked not just by trucks and their tourist buses but also cars who want to stop by the famous Barde Dhaba ( my all time favorite as well ). Also, the service lane and highway literally touch each other here, so there is no "exit lane" leading onto the service road here but you just switch from the highway and land up on the service lane.

Quote:
Already included last year when there was a query
Typical of you Parag sir. My bad, I am sorry, I think I totally missed out this one.

Quote:

On Shell, I guess I remember 2 entrants to the list. One of course if the newly opened shell around Vashi and the second is that re-opened at Khedshivpur after staying shut for a decade. One on Pune Bypass (Warje) is part of the list.
The new Shell in Bombay is at Airoli, Navi Mumbai on Thane--Belapur road ( convenient for those doing Thane--Pune or GJ--Pune etc.). I will get the precise location soon. Yes, Khed Shivapur near Pune and the Hubli ones are new.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks