Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:24   #901
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Mumbai Roadtrip

I drove from Bangalore to Mumbai on 1st October starting at 4:00am from Frazer Town. The roads on the KA side are getting better each time I drive down. I stopped fro breakfast at Kamat Ranibennur and was in Hubli by 5:15hrs! Amazing.

Stopped for lunch at Sai International after Kohlapur around 11:45. After a long lunch started again at 1:05pm. Was in Nerul at 5:00pm. My young son started vomitting at the Expressway so stopped at the Food Mall on the way for some time.
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:36   #902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesaber View Post
I drove from Bangalore to Mumbai on 1st October starting at 4:00am from Frazer Town. The roads on the KA side are getting better each time I drive down. I stopped fro breakfast at Kamat Ranibennur and was in Hubli by 5:15hrs! Amazing.

Stopped for lunch at Sai International after Kohlapur around 11:45. After a long lunch started again at 1:05pm. Was in Nerul at 5:00pm. My young son started vomitting at the Expressway so stopped at the Food Mall on the way for some time.
Reads like you did Bangalore to Hubli in 1 hour 15 minutes, . I take it took 5:15 for the distance.
Anyway 13 hrs is very good going. how long were the toll plaza halts?

Last edited by goandude : 3rd October 2011 at 12:51.
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:21   #903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesaber View Post

Since 1st OCT was a Saturday, I too want to know the time you spent at each of those 4 toll booths in Maharashtra Side. I am planning BLR-Mumbai-Surat on 22nd OCT and have been dillydallying on whether to do that on Friday or Saturday since I will be covering 1250Kms on day 1.

Was very regularly doing Bangalore-Pune in 2010 and just a couple in 2011 and that too on weekdays and odd timings to beat the toll booth traffic in MH and hence your inputs on the toll plaza waiting time will be helpful.
Old 7th October 2011, 15:26   #904
kdp
BHPian

Hi,

Thank you all for such a comprehensive overrview of the road condition.

I plan to do the mumbai-bengaluru leg on the 14th. My question is regarding the last leg of the journey - tumkur to bengaluru, to one's destination, which I believe is the most time consuming.

I need to get to hennur road, which is off the ORR, near HBR layout. The normal way would be to take nh4 till it intersects the Orr and then get onto the Orr and onwards beyond herbal circle.. What worries me about this route is that there is a level crossing and the road (Orr ) is very narrow for quite a stretch (as per google maps)

I believe that traffic as you reach Bangalore get progressively worse and I was wondering if there are any alternative routes to my destination. One that google maps seems to suggest is to turn onto watch factory road and then onto hmt road, which will hit Orr when it become it's normal width? Could anyone comment on this alternative, and / or suggest any other?

I will be reaching on a Saturday evening, most likely after 7pm.

Thank you
Old 7th October 2011, 18:25   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
Hi,

I plan to do the mumbai-bengaluru leg on the 14th. My question is regarding the last leg of the journey - tumkur to bengaluru, to one's destination, which I believe is the most time consuming.

I need to get to hennur road, which is off the ORR, near HBR layout. The normal way would be to take nh4 till it intersects the Orr and then get onto the Orr and onwards beyond herbal circle.. What worries me about this route is that there is a level crossing and the road (Orr ) is very narrow for quite a stretch (as per google maps)

I believe that traffic as you reach Bangalore get progressively worse and I was wondering if there are any alternative routes to my destination. One that google maps seems to suggest is to turn onto watch factory road and then onto hmt road, which will hit Orr when it become it's normal width? Could anyone comment on this alternative, and / or suggest any other?

Thank you
Yes, the watch factory road as a suggested alternative works well to avoid these jams at Goreguntelpalya and the level crossing.
But at peak times, even the service lane and adjacent lanes on NH4 near watch factory road can be messy as vehicles begin to pile up at Goreguntepalya signal and crawl in this section.

Looking at all these, the best is to use the Jalahalli Cross road via Gangamma Circle and reach BEL Circle and continue on ORR towards Hebbal and your final destination. This route will avoid the Railway crossings and traffic keeps moving at a good pace at least till BEL Circle.

NH 4 to Outer Ring Rd - Google Maps

I have been using this option to reach Vidyaranyapura whenever I am driving back from Pune or even when I occasionally take NICE road to reach Tumkur Road from office.

Regarding your last leg on Tumkur-Bangalore, it is a breeze now, thanks to the much awaited excellent entry for city from Northern side at least till the major bottlenecks nearing Goreguntepalya and Yeshwantpur areas due to Metro work.

Also, please remember this:

After Nelemangala, when you take the 6 lane road after paying 15/- toll, you will continue till about 13 Kilometers when you'll encounter the road leading over to the bridge.
Please DO NOT Take the elevated bridge and continue straight from below. The SECOND Traffic Signal after you start driving below the bridge is called Jalahalli Cross Signal where you deviate left to take the route mentioned in the map.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 19:25   #906
BHPian

Did Bangalore-Pune on 5th Oct. Nothing special to mention. Good roads all the way. Better in KA. Just watch out for the bumpers near Haveri ( already mentioned in the posts ). There are some more which came up ( didnt notice the places but its in KA ). Will return on 8th Oct.
Old 7th October 2011, 19:41   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you
Driving in Bangalore peak hour traffic after driving 900+ kms will be killing. I had used the alternative route from Doddasapete (NH207) Via Doddabalapur Via Yelahanka Via Hebbal to reach my place @ Kalyan Nagar.

This route will avoid Nelamangala & Yeshwantpur mayhem

Not sure if you're familiar with Thanisandra Main Road, which can be taken to avoid Hebbal & the ORR traffic till HBR layout since flyover work is progress.
You need to take the left (towards BIAL) on the Bellary road from Yelahanka (right will take you to Hebbal) & take the right on the main NH7 road which will connect you to Thanisandra Main Road. The traffic is less compared to the ORR.

Good luck & have a safe journey.
lavish_n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 20:17   #908
kdp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Yes, the watch factory road as a suggested alternative works well to avoid these jams at Goreguntelpalya and the level crossing.
But at peak times, even the service lane and adjacent lanes on NH4 near watch factory road can be messy as vehicles begin to pile up at Goreguntepalya signal and crawl in this section.

Looking at all these, the best is to use the Jalahalli Cross road via Gangamma Circle and reach BEL Circle and continue on ORR towards Hebbal and your final destination. This route will avoid the Railway crossings and traffic keeps moving at a good pace at least till BEL Circle.

NH 4 to Outer Ring Rd - Google Maps

I have been using this option to reach Vidyaranyapura whenever I am driving back from Pune or even when I occasionally take NICE road to reach Tumkur Road from office.

Regarding your last leg on Tumkur-Bangalore, it is a breeze now, thanks to the much awaited excellent entry for city from Northern side at least till the major bottlenecks nearing Goreguntepalya and Yeshwantpur areas due to Metro work.

Also, please remember this:

After Nelemangala, when you take the 6 lane road after paying 15/- toll, you will continue till about 13 Kilometers when you'll encounter the road leading over to the bridge.
Please DO NOT Take the elevated bridge and continue straight from below. The SECOND Traffic Signal after you start driving below the bridge is called Jalahalli Cross Signal where you deviate left to take the route mentioned in the map.
@paragsachania, Thank you very much,for such a detailed response. since this is the first time i will travelling down this road; i am a bit concerned about which is the "right" flyover, (if there is more than one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavish_n View Post
Driving in Bangalore peak hour traffic after driving 900+ kms will be killing. I had used the alternative route from Doddasapete (NH207) Via Doddabalapur Via Yelahanka Via Hebbal to reach my place @ Kalyan Nagar.

This route will avoid Nelamangala & Yeshwantpur mayhem

Not sure if you're familiar with Thanisandra Main Road, which can be taken to avoid Hebbal & the ORR traffic till HBR layout since flyover work is progress.
You need to take the left (towards BIAL) on the Bellary road from Yelahanka (right will take you to Hebbal) & take the right on the main NH7 road which will connect you to Thanisandra Main Road. The traffic is less compared to the ORR.

Good luck & have a safe journey.
@lavish_n, you got it, after 900km, i just don't want any more traffic than absolutely necessary. also i am travelling "en famille" and while my kids travel well on road trips, 12-13hrs is pushing it a bit.

i had considered the road you chalked out, but was unsure of it's condition.

also my eventual destination is Ferns Meadows, off Hennur main road, i know the roads you are talking about as I take the bagalur main road from BIAL to my folk's place. So if I were to take your suggested route, I could simply turn left a bit, then take a right on that un-named road on google maps and cross thanisandra main road to reach hennur road.

finally, it boils down to 1. the condition of the road and 2. the traffic.

so which is a better route?

thank you both such a quick a comprehensive response!
Old 8th October 2011, 08:05   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Day 2:
There were five places with speedbreakers on the highway. The first of these was the real shocker - turning up when least expected with no signage or markings. For those interested, it comes immediately after the signboard that announces 13 km to Ranebennur, 51 to Chitradurga.

There is still one detour for the northbound traffic that lasts for about a couple of kilometres between Ranebennur and Harihar.

Filled petrol at the IOCL pump on Varthur Road just before the turn-off to Yemalur. The mileage for the second filling is 20.12 kmpl - 555 km with 27.58 litres. I will watch Ra.1 twice, now

All in all, a very pleasant trip. Except for the one speedbreaker where I had to brake hard, not a single instance where I felt any problem. This was my third drive on this route, but the first alone so was a bit anxious, but the trip itself was very enjoyable.
Did Mumbai - Bangalore this friday, started at 5:30 am and reached chitradurga at 17:00 pm so decided to continue to bangalore, reached at around 20:30. Overall 15 hours to cover 1050 Km which averages to around 70 kmph.

The first speedbreaker is a killer. It just comes out of nowhere! and have no idea why it is there in the first place. Missed it inspite of keeping a lookout . Had to brake really hard, scraped the car. The remaining four are also not easy to spot.

Refueled at konduskar at kolhapur and then at a BPCL outlet just after exiting chitradurga. This is second time after refueling at konduskar i observed that my car struggling a bit, i.e. drop in pickup. Things were back to normal after refueling at chitradurga. Avergared around 17 kmpl
Old 8th October 2011, 11:23   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This part was a bit difficult to follow, since I was not familiar with the lay of land north-west of Bangalore (I was following instructions here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2375313 ). I think the better way to keep track of this is to count three toll booths after Tumkur that all charge Rs. 15 per car. After the third one, about 500m beyond, go underneath the flyover and take left at the second signal as mentioned above.

Things to remember:
  • After the first of the three Rs. 15 toll booths, you will see a board that says "Bangalore-Nelamangala Elevated Tollway" or some such. This is not the one to go underneath (I made this mistake).
  • Do not drift too far to the left, or you might find yourself on the NICE Ring Road. Avoid the turnout that mentions Hosur/Mysore.
  • The left turn at Jalahally Cross Road is turn-able only from the service road (buses and trucks crossing to the main road from the service road block you if you try to turn from the main road). If you are on the main road and are unable to turn left, just go straight keeping to the right. Immediately after the signal (< 20m) you can take a U-turn and approach the signal from the opposite direction. Turn right.

The approach to Bangalore via NH4 is very confusing. Be prepared!
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 08:35   #911
BHPian

Quote:

i had considered the road you chalked out, but was unsure of it's condition.
finally, it boils down to 1. the condition of the road and 2. the traffic.

so which is a better route?
@kdp: I had used the Doddasapete (NH207) in July & the road were decent enough for a NH. You can travel to speeds of 60~70 Kms.

I hope the below directions might be handy in case you plan to take the route. This is the same as Google map route

When you are coming on NH4 from Pune side, you first cross Tumkur
You cross the toll gate.

12 kms from the toll gate, you cross Upachar Kamat on the left (and 2 kms after Upachar Kamat) you reach Dobespet.

(There are no sign boards, you have keep a watch for Kamats)

You will see a flyover here - take it if you want to continue on NH4 to Bangalore via Neelamangala.

Go below the Flyover if you want to go to Doddasapete

There are 2left turns at the Flyover, take the second left (NH207).

37 kms from the Flyover is Dodballapur.

Turn right here & stay on NH207 (Straight goes to Devanahalli and new Airport)

Within 1 km, you will cross a level crossing.

Turn right after the level crossing (you will exit NH207 & get on the Doddaballapur Road), go 6 kms via the Doddaballapur Railway Station.

You will cross another level crossing.

In the next 18 kms, you will reach the Yelahanka Rail Wheel Factory.

2 kms further down, you will reach a T Junction (with a signal) where you turn right.

Within 1 km, you touch the NH7, where you turn right and go towards Hebbal.

I'm sure you know the route from then onward.

Drive safe & do post your experience.

Last edited by lavish_n : 9th October 2011 at 08:41. Reason: Directions on the route had to be highlighted.
Old 11th October 2011, 06:37   #912
BHPian

I will be driving from Pune to Bangalore during the Diwali holidays. I have never driven to Bangalore before, and am completely un-familiar with the Bangalore road network. I need to reach HSR layout. I have been advised on this forum to take the NICE road upto the Hosur Road exit, then take the left turn leading into Bangalore city. Thereafter, I have been advised to go upto Silk Board Flyover and take a right turn under this flyover to proceed to HSR layout. Now my questions are as follows:

(a) The exit from NICE Road at Hosur Road junction - is this a service lane or a proper divided road

(b) What is the approximate distance from the Hosur Road exit point upto Silk Board Flyover

(c) Since I have to take a right under the Silk Board Flyover, should I stick to the right lane on the road from Hosur Road exit point right upto Silk Board, or will this end up in my obstructing vehicles behind me who want to take a right at any intermdiate crossings. In other words, how many crosses are there between the entry point on this road upto Silk Board Flyover.

(d) The exit road from Hosur Road exit upto Silk Board - does this run parallel to the BETL Road at the lower level - this is what I can gather from various posts and a study of google maps.

Advice and instructions from Bangalore experts on the forum would be much appreciated.
Old 11th October 2011, 07:26   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
(a) The exit from NICE Road at Hosur Road junction - is this a service lane or a proper divided road
Nice Road ends at its junction with Hosur Road. It is a major interchange and hence difficult to miss (made more complicated by the fact that the BETL goes above the interchange).

The only thing to note is NICE Ring Road's junction with Bannerghata Road - this was a PITA because the flyover work was not completed.

Quote:
(b) What is the approximate distance from the Hosur Road exit point upto Silk Board Flyover
I think it is about 10km. Once you exit onto Hosur Road, you will see the BETL following Hosur Road at an elevation. All you have to do is go along, and wait for the BETL to come to your (ie, ground) level.

Quote:
(c) Since I have to take a right under the Silk Board Flyover, should I stick to the right lane on the road from Hosur Road exit point right upto Silk Board, or will this end up in my obstructing vehicles behind me who want to take a right at any intermdiate crossings. In other words, how many crosses are there between the entry point on this road upto Silk Board Flyover.
As mentioned above, proceed along Hosur Road all the way until you see the BETL coming down and merging at surface level. From this point, keep to the left of Hosur Road. The very next flyover is above Silk Board Junction (it is about 500m). You need to go under this flyover, so you need to keep left. Once at the junction, you have to take a right turn for HSR Layout.

Quote:
(d) The exit road from Hosur Road exit upto Silk Board - does this run parallel to the BETL Road at the lower level - this is what I can gather from various posts and a study of google maps.
Yes. BETL and Hosur Road follow the same path at different elevations.
Old 11th October 2011, 15:56   #914
BHPian

@ binand: Thanks a million. It seems crystal clear now and am sure I can make it without any major hassles.
Old 11th October 2011, 16:30   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be driving from Pune to Bangalore during the Diwali holidays. I have never driven to Bangalore before, and am completely un-familiar with the Bangalore road network. I need to reach HSR layout. I have been advised on this forum to take the NICE road upto the Hosur Road exit, then take the left turn leading into Bangalore city. Thereafter, I have been advised to go upto Silk Board Flyover and take a right turn under this flyover to proceed to HSR layout. Now my questions are as follows:

Advice and instructions from Bangalore experts on the forum would be much appreciated.
Binand has guided you correctly. However some tips

a) Be careful when you cross the toll gate and drive on Nelamangala toll way. It is very easy to miss NICE road exit if you are not alert. Look out for "Himalaya drug" logo on the right side of high way - it is huge and can not miss out - and once you notice it, keep left for a KM and you will notice sign for exit onto NICE road to Hosur. Take the exit and keep left and look for the signage and enter NICE road. Dont go straight on the service road lest you will miss out on NICE road.

b) The end of NICE road will loop you back to HOsur road. As you join the highway, take the first traffic signal and turn right on to the Highway towards Bangalore and proceed towards Silk Board flyover and take right turn as advised by Binand.

Last edited by Fauji : 11th October 2011 at 16:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks