Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2018, 15:00   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Goa Vacation for First Timers

Planning to visit Goa during Dusshera holidays in mid October 2018. Since I will be driving down to Goa, wanted to check how crowded (Traffic jams) & parking availability during that time. It will be primarily North Goa (based on suggestions here) also covering the city for Churches & Architecture.

If its advisable to take a cab, I would be glad to park the car at Hotel & hop on to the cab with day package.
Old 16th September 2018, 15:31   #152
Senior - BHPian

Mid-october will be very very hot in Goa.
Depending on where you stay, you can ask the hotel to book a cab for you. That will be a better option.

Old Goa with its churches and architecture is an one day affair unless you are on a research or professional photography workshop.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 13:37   #153
BHPian

Got back from a week-long trip to Goa.

We stayed in North Goa for the first three days in an AirBnB at Dona Paula. The location is close to Panaji and a tourist spot in itself. We visited Aguada fort, Chaparo Fort, Salim Ali Sanctuary and Baga beach. Ceramic handicraft at Panaji is very good and artistically made. We enjoyed Fish thali at Ritz Classic! Just go there early to get the best.

Fort Chaparo entrance. I spotted a bhpian's grey Duster on the 18 October parked at the base.
Goa Vacation for First Timers-img_20180918_153445.jpg

View from the top of the Fort
Goa Vacation for First Timers-img_20180918_154807.jpg

The next three days in South Goa, near Majorda beach. It was an AirBnB too. We walked through the (now infamous) Margao Fish market with an array of sea-stuff both breathing and dried. We visited Butterfly beach which is actually hidden and requires walking for a couple of kilometres. The beaches near Majorda are a treat during sunset, not as crowded as the beaches in North Goa.

We enjoyed tasting Vindaloo, Cafreal and Xacuti flavours! Btw, the seafood is not cheap. We really liked the Rossa-Omelette at a small roadside eatery near Agonda beach! This was the find of our trip.
Nostalgia, Ritz Classic, Sharda Classic and The fisherman's cove are some of the restaurants I would recommend.

An Activa costs 400 per day and a WagonR for 1200 per day. I suggest getting legit vehicles with suitable rental number plates. We did see cops checking at a lot of places for whiteboard rentals. So, beware.

Butterfly beach,
Goa Vacation for First Timers-img_20180920_141548.jpg

The entrance of the beach,
Goa Vacation for First Timers-img_20180920_145936.jpg

Rossa-Omlette
Goa Vacation for First Timers-img_20180920_171013.jpg

Cycling is fun! Salt water will do no good to the metal though.
Goa Vacation for First Timers-img_20180921_103019.jpg

Overall. Very relaxing and serene. Goa has something to offer for everyone! Be it to party or just relax, there are lots to do for all types!
vivee90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 19:32   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivee90 View Post
Cycling is fun!
How much did they charge you for these cycles? When we search online, we get a lot of options for Bike/Car rental and just a handful of such cycle options.

I see that those are some neat bikes you had for your vacation, so would you mind sharing a bit more on how much these costs, and how easily such cycles are available there?

Been to Goa so many times but we have always either hired a scooter or a car and never explored the cycling. Your post just added a new item to the "to do list" when in Goa.

Thanks in advance.

R-Six
Old 29th September 2018, 15:19   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
How much did they charge you for these cycles?
R-Six
It was our host's bicycles. We stayed in "Red Rooster Village homestay" through Airbnb. They don't charge anything extra for the bicycles.
vivee90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 20:33   #156
BHPian

Can anyone please guide whether the road to Agonda Beach goa is doable in a fully loaded hatch? I am in South Goa near Palolem.
Old 14th October 2018, 20:49   #157
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Can anyone please guide whether the road to Agonda Beach goa is doable in a fully loaded hatch? I am in South Goa near Palolem.
From my experience, it is easily doable, the Agonda beach road is dotted with residential and commercial properties (mostly eateries). I'm not sure about parking though, it wasn't a problem for us since we stayed in a hotel/resort on that road itself.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 17:44   #158
BANNED

Planning a trip next week (almost final) and this time we are thinking of spending sometime at Panaji with a walk around Fontainhas, immaculate conception church, Reis Magos, street food at Miramar beach etc. I have kept half a day for it.

I am bit skeptical about car parking availability around all these places and traffic cops are very strict (towards out station cars) around Panjim. Any pointer on this would be helpful.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 19:03   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Planning a trip next week (almost final) and this time we are thinking of spending sometime at Panaji with a walk around Fontainhas, immaculate conception church, Reis Magos, street food at Miramar beach etc. I have kept half a day for it.

I am bit skeptical about car parking availability around all these places and traffic cops are very strict (towards out station cars) around Panjim. Any pointer on this would be helpful.
There is a street parking available just next to Immaculate Conception Church however getting space is pure luck.

There is a parking space available inside Reis magos fort which wouldn't be an issue at all. You can park your vehicle inside only if you are planning to visit the fort otherwise you can park your vehicle just opposite to the Reis Magos church and walk around the fort. This road is not a busy road so no issues for parking.

At Miramar, you can drive till Miramar Circle and you should be able to find parking there, if not you can drive further ahead till Subway and you have a Paid parking over there, but it would be almost a Km walk for you after parking.
meetbadri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 19:35   #160
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Covered these places in half a day starting early morning. The Reis Magos Fort visitor center opens at 10am. This easily needs 1 to 1.5 hours, so plan accordingly. Since we stayed at Candolim, Reis Magos was en route to Immaculate Conception Church, but was closed early morning. The riverfront just opposite the Fort is beautiful so we spent some time there and then drove to Panaji to the church, then had breakfast at Kamat nearby and returned to Reis Magos. I think we were done by around 12pm before heading back to Candolim.

Since you also plan to visit Miramar and walk around Fontainhas, you may need some more time, plan accordingly.

Details in this post (Dizzy Drive®: Go..Go..Goa, a Mini Exploration) and the next in my travelogue.

*Early morning you can find parking near the church.
Parking at Reis Magos isn't a problem - either inside the visitor center (3-4 cars) or roadside parking opposite the fort.

Last edited by NPV : 10th December 2019 at 20:01.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 10:43   #161
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
There is a street parking available just next to Immaculate Conception Church however getting space is pure luck.

There is a parking space available inside Reis magos fort which wouldn't be an issue at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Since you also plan to visit Miramar and walk around Fontainhas, you may need some more time, plan accordingly.

Details in this post (Dizzy Drive®: Go..Go..Goa, a Mini Exploration) and the next in my travelogue.

Thank you very much meetbadri, NPV. Information you have shared are really helpful.

For Fontainhas, what could be a better parking option?

Dear NPV, you have mentioned in your travelogue that there would be a free shuttle service in Reid Magos. This information has leveled up my interest as I would be with my 5 year old and this could be his first fort visit. It would be really helpful if you can put some more info on this service.

I hope I am not bothering you too much. Sorry for that and thank you again.
Old 11th December 2019, 10:57   #162
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For Fontainhas, what could be a better parking option?

Dear NPV, you have mentioned in your travelogue that there would be a free shuttle service in Reid Magos. This information has leveled up my interest as I would be with my 5 year old and this could be his first fort visit. It would be really helpful if you can put some more info on this service.
I think Fontainhas is walking distance (say 500m) from the Immaculate conception church, so if you find parking near the church you should be good for both visits

If you're there early morning you will find a road side spot where parking is allowed, otherwise just ask someone around for paid parking options, there may be something nearby. Alternatively, look for parking around the bus stand nearby and then take a short walk to the church.

The free shuttle at Reis Magos - the fort entrance is located high above the road and there is a steep ramp leading up from the visitors center. Once you buy your tickets at the visitors center, just ask them about the shuttle, it was a Maruti Omni that they had. Soon as you come out of the visitors center you will see the Omni, show the driver your tickets and they will give you a free car ride up the hill to the fort entrance, takes 2-3 minutes at most.

Last edited by NPV : 11th December 2019 at 11:26.
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:03   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

I know it's too early for this post but thought I would post now so that everyone can share their comments.

Have a drive planned to Goa from Cochin during the last week of March. Am still not clear on the route to take and have posted my query in the "Kochi-Goa" thread. My current plan is to start at 4am, bypass Mysuru then onto Tumakuru and reach Davanagere for the night halt. Then leave for Goa the next day and reach by afternoon. I will be staying in CM near Varca beach. So here are my questions.

1) Recommended hotel for the night halt in Davanagere or any place enroute.
2) Suggested route if anyone can comment
3) Day 1 will be confined to South Goa. So any recommended places to visit?
4) Day 2 will be North Goa. As seen in this thread, I would be visiting the various architectural places/churches. Any other place worth the visit? And also the recommended beach?
5) Recommended seafood restaurant?

And any general tips for us in Goa.

Appreciate all replies.
Old 3rd January 2020, 12:36   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Guys,

I know it's too early for this post but thought I would post now so that everyone can share their comments.

Have a drive planned to Goa from Cochin during the last week of March. Am still not clear on the route to take and have posted my query in the "Kochi-Goa" thread. My current plan is to start at 4am, bypass Mysuru then onto Tumakuru and reach Davanagere for the night halt. Then leave for Goa the next day and reach by afternoon. I will be staying in CM near Varca beach. So here are my questions.

1) Recommended hotel for the night halt in Davanagere or any place enroute.
2) Suggested route if anyone can comment
3) Day 1 will be confined to South Goa. So any recommended places to visit?
4) Day 2 will be North Goa. As seen in this thread, I would be visiting the various architectural places/churches. Any other place worth the visit? And also the recommended beach?
5) Recommended seafood restaurant?

And any general tips for us in Goa.

Appreciate all replies.
I am planning to drive down next week. From Bangalore-Goa thread below is what I concluded and plan to take same:

BLR-North Goa: khanapur - jamboti - chorla ghat route
BLR-South Goa: Karwar-Ankola-Kumta-Sirsi-Haveri route.

As far beaches go, Most of the beaches in South Goa are pristine and less crowded. Cavelossim/Varca are good. Calangute/Baga/Candolim are popular in North Goa however super crowded. Morjim/Ashvem has relatively lesser crowd.
Salaulim dam is good during rainy season. Dona Paula is worth it if visiting first time.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 12:46   #165
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Dona Paula is worth it if visiting first time.
Please check this one before you go - I remember reading that the view point has been closed due to concerns regarding the safety of the structure. Not sure if the repairs are completed and if it's open now.

Last edited by NPV : 3rd January 2020 at 12:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks