Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2012, 20:54   #31
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Karwar : Which route should i take?

I think I have been to one Kamat type hotel on the main road of Yellapur and just before road forks towards Sirsi, not very sure if its still open.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 22:21   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hmm, Belgaum would be too early; I'll be there at 10.30 AM or so. I guess Banana County looks like my best bet right now.

Thanks HVK!

Cheers,
Vikram
Ideal place for lunch would have been Hubli (~430km). Sankam/Belgaum would be about 330km from Pune. Depends on how fast you cover that distance.

I am not sure of a Kamat between Hubli and Ankola. There is one at Ankola. Immediately after you take right on joining NH17.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 16:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Vikram, the best bet for you to have lunch will be in Yallapur which is a Taluq HQ and will have decent restuarants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Refuelling - top up in Konduskar's since fuel is more expensive in KA than MH. And in case you are going to Upachar Kamat in Ankola, the IOC pump there is also good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I am not sure of a Kamat between Hubli and Ankola. There is one at Ankola. Immediately after you take right on joining NH17.
Back from a refreshing 3 day vacation at the Devbagh Beach Resort near Karwar. Here's a brief update about the route and road condition:
Started from Pune at 4.45 AM on Feb 18. Lost half an hour of travel time from 5.30 AM to 6 AM due to a traffic jam just before Khambatki Ghat. Had a breakfast halt for half an hour at Sai International approx 20-25 kms before Kolhapur, and also got some eatables packed [sandwiches + Idli] so that we wouldn't have to make any more stops. We munched on these plus some fruits at round 1 PM, and covered the rest of the trip without any stops. Refuelling was at Konduskar, just outside Kolhapur. Reached Karwar at 2.45 PM. Return trip was on Feb 20, from 10.30 Am - 9 PM, with heavy traffic encountered after crossing Kolhapur. Also lost around 20-25 mins in the ghat just before Yellapur, due to a trailer's load coming unstuck, which required intervention with a crane. Refuelling was at a HP pump a few Kms just after crossing the Dharwad side toll gate on the Dharwad - Hubli bypass.

The condition of the NH4 from Pune to Kagal is rapidly deteriorating, but unfortunately the toll rates are only going up. Kagal to Hubli is a refreshing change, road condition and toll rates wise too. The road condition is very good from Hubli to Yellapur + approx 20 kms [with a few broken patches on the ghat curves]. Then it's a mix of broken tarmac + patched up roads for 20 kms or so, after which the road condition improves again and stays that way till NH63 meets NH17. NH17 from this intersection till Karwar is also very good.

@ampere and Fauji - Thanks for your tips about the places of interest around Karwar. However, due to my inherent laziness and the fantastic beach at Devbagh, I wasn't able to tear myself away from the resort.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 21st February 2012 at 16:15.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 22:15   #34
VBN
BHPian

Hello Comfortablynumb,

I need to travel to Karwar ( from Mumbai) next week. I wanted to know if you have any idea about the Belgium-khanapur-dandeli-Anshi national park-Karwar part of the route? As per google maps, it is 50 Km and 20 minutes shorter. Any feedback would be useful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th May 2012, 22:26   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBN View Post
Hello Comfortablynumb,

I need to travel to Karwar ( from Mumbai) next week. I wanted to know if you have any idea about the Belgium-khanapur-dandeli-Anshi national park-Karwar part of the route? As per google maps, it is 50 Km and 20 minutes shorter. Any feedback would be useful.

Thanks in advance.
If you have a SUV and you want to enjoy the views, then its very nice drive and very very scenic. But if you want to Karwar
smoothly its definitely not. Dandeli-Joida-Kumbharwada-Anshi-Kadra is road which always is in a bad condition.

Though I hear that Kadra to Karwar has improved a bit.

Better to take the regular Hubli-Ankola route.
Old 28th May 2012, 23:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Comfortablynumb,

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you have a SUV and you want to enjoy the views, then its very nice drive and very very scenic. But if you want to Karwar
smoothly its definitely not. Dandeli-Joida-Kumbharwada-Anshi-Kadra is road which always is in a bad condition.

Though I hear that Kadra to Karwar has improved a bit.

Better to take the regular Hubli-Ankola route.
On the contrary, the road is excellent now. I travelled on this Karwar-Sadashivgarh-Kadra-Anshi-Ramnagar-Khanapur-Belgaum route last fortnight.

The roads are outstanding till Anshi Check post. From there you can go direct to Kumbharwada via Dudgali or via a longer route (more by 15 kms). The shorter route from Anshi CP to Kumbharwada is in terrible condition, but the longer one is excellent.

You will face bad roads only between Ramnagar & Belgaum via Khanapur, where the road is pot-holed in many places.

However, I would advise you against doing this route - it is 170 kms from Sadashivgarh to Belgaum, and the entire route has no facilities and hardly any traffic. Meant for only the hard-core motoring enthusiasts, not good as a short-cut.

You will also reach much faster if you take the NH63 (Ankola-Hubli) route. The mountain route is slow.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 06:56   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
On the contrary, the road is excellent now. I travelled on this Karwar-Sadashivgarh-Kadra-Anshi-Ramnagar-Khanapur-Belgaum route last fortnight.
So looks like Kadra-Kumbharwada-Joida section has improved.
Beyond Joida instead of Ramnagar, the Dandeli-Haliyal-Dharwad is one section which was rough and patchy and is used quite often. Not sure how is it today.
Old 29th May 2012, 08:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Comfortablynumb,

Thanks in advance.
I agree with HVKs recommendation. Take the Hubli-Kalghatgi-Yellapur-Karwar route. With an early morning start from Mumbai, you will need a maximum of 12 hours [with speeds of 80-100 kmph] to reach Karwar. Road condition is decent almost all the way through and it's more straightforward too.

Even though distance wise the Anshi route is less by 50 kms, time wise I'd say that it'll even out due to one having to cross Belgaum city during the day and the potholed roads from Belgaum to Ramnagar. Plus, the Belgaum - Khanapur section also has a fair amount of traffic. All these factors will prevent you from crossing 60-70 kmph consistently Belgaum onwards.

Have a good trip!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 29th May 2012 at 08:56.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 20:17   #39
VBN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb

I agree with HVKs recommendation. Take the Hubli-Kalghatgi-Yellapur-Karwar route.

Cheers,
Vikram
From belgaum, after crossing Dharwad, should I take the right to dhumvada down to kalghatgi or should I go ahead to Hubli and then right to kalghatgi ?

Vbn
Old 29th May 2012, 20:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From belgaum, after crossing Dharwad, should I take the right to dhumvada down to kalghatgi or should I go ahead to Hubli and then right to kalghatgi ?

Vbn
Go 30 kms down Dharwad-Hubli bypass till you come to the Karwar road intersection. That is where you should turn off NH4 and get into NH63.

Do not take the earlier turn marked direct to Kalhatagi from Dharwad which is normally bad road.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 20:51   #41
VBN
BHPian

Thank you HVKumar.

In terms of google map, it numbers the NH63 as 67 more frequently and as 63 only occasionally. Is that an error?

What is a good source for accurate maps, in case google maps isn't?

Vbn
Old 29th May 2012, 21:17   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you HVKumar.

In terms of google map, it numbers the NH63 as 67 more frequently and as 63 only occasionally. Is that an error?

Vbn
The National Highway Numbers are getting changed. Thats why you see the changes in Google maps. NH4 is NH48.
And NH63 is called NH67 But that change has not reflected on the signboards on the roads. You will still see NH63 only.

You shoudl look for Ankola road at the Dharwad-Hubli bypass.

Google maps is a good resource but now since the numbers are changing these numbers mentioned in Google may not match on what
you on the roads. At many places though GM may not be right, ( eg Western Ghats)

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2012 at 21:19.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 21:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you HVKumar.

Vbn

NH63 connects Ankola to Hubli via Yellapura & Kalhatagi.
NH67 connects Coimbatore to Nagapattinam via Trichy.

G Maps is on its own trip, renumbering Indian highways and confusing everyone. Except in a few cases, Indian highways continue to display the old numbers.

Google Maps is fine most of the time, except for this re-numbering confusion.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 14:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

I plan to visit Murudeshwar from Pune this month. Plan is to leave at 6:30 AM and reach by 6:30 PM.

Mumbai - Karwar : Which route should i take?-punemurudeshwar.jpg

Questions:
The route attached bypasses Dharwad town and then expects me to get off the NH4 somewhere near Yerikoppa.
Is there some signboard/ landmark?
(Or is it better to go upto Hubli and turn on NH 63?)

Then it rejoins somewhere on SH 67/NH 63 and continues towards Kalghatgi, Yellapur, Idgundi, Gokarna, Kumta, Dhareshwar, Honavar, Manki and finally Murdeshwar.
Any latest update on this section of NH 63? Which are the bad parts on this road?

I will top up fuel at Kolhapur, and might want to top up again once in Karnataka considering return journey would be in jungle.
Lunch could be at Dharwad which I intend to reach around 12:30- 1:00 PM.

Though not required, should I fill up again at Yellapur or is there some option around Gokarna or somewhere else down the route?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While returning, we would like to go to Anshi or Dandli depending on accommodation that we can find.

Mumbai - Karwar : Which route should i take?-murudeshwaranshipune.jpg

For Anshi, HVK has suggested:
Karwar-Sadashivgarh-Kadra-Anshi-Joida-Ramnagar----Khanapur----Belgaum

The --- indicates bad portion.

I cannot seem to find anything reasonable to stay at Anshi. Is Dandeli the closest option?

In case I skip, Anshi and decide to stay at Dandeli, then which is the best route to take?

My final destination would be Pune, but I have a few days more which I can spend enroute.

P.S.: I don't have an SUV, so jungle trails are best avoided.
Old 8th October 2012, 15:04   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Questions:
The route attached bypasses Dharwad town and then expects me to get off the NH4 somewhere near Yerikoppa.
Is there some signboard/ landmark?
(Or is it better to go upto Hubli and turn on NH 63?)
Bypass does not help much. Good to go all the way till Hubli, take the bypass and latch on to Ankola road from the bypass. You dont need to get into Hubli for this.

Quote:
Then it rejoins somewhere on SH 67/NH 63 and continues towards Kalghatgi, Yellapur, Idgundi, Gokarna, Kumta, Dhareshwar, Honavar, Manki and finally Murdeshwar.
Any latest update on this section of NH 63? Which are the bad parts on this road?
NH63 is very good all the way. Not much of a problem.

Quote:
Though not required, should I fill up again at Yellapur or is there some option around Gokarna or somewhere else down the route?
There is a Kamat at Ankola and there is a IOC at that Kamat. This Kamat is towards Ankola town (not on the Karwar side) once you reach the NH63-N17 junction
(Assuming you are coming from Hubli on the NH63.

Quote:
For Anshi, HVK has suggested:
Karwar-Sadashivgarh-Kadra-Anshi-Joida-Ramnagar----Khanapur----Belgaum
Sadashivgad-Kadra is a rough road and not all the great. Though its been patched up as per the latest I am aware of.
Kadra bypass to Anshi-Joida is a pretty bad through the ghats.

Quote:
I cannot seem to find anything reasonable to stay at Anshi. Is Dandeli the closest option?
In case I skip, Anshi and decide to stay at Dandeli, then which is the best route to take?
My final destination would be Pune, but I have a few days more which I can spend enroute.
There is nothing at Anshi for stay. Its just a route. Even Joida has not any place. Closest is Dandeli. You should just enjoy the route.
Spend some time on the view points and proceed to Dandeli. If you skip Anshi, then you can also do Ankola-Yellapur-Dandeli if you still plan for Dandeli.
Else continue all the way on to Hubli.

Last edited by ampere : 8th October 2012 at 15:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks