Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2012, 16:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Karwar : Which route should i take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There is nothing at Anshi for stay. Its just a route. Even Joida has not any place. Closest is Dandeli. You should just enjoy the route.
Spend some time on the view points and proceed to Dandeli. If you skip Anshi, then you can also do Ankola-Yellapur-Dandeli if you still plan for Dandeli.
Else continue all the way on to Hubli.
There is Anshi Nature Camp which I was trying to book. But they have closed since Supreme court has put a ban on safaris in tiger reserves.

Since there is no accommodation, I am skipping Anshi (don't want to travel on bad roads without reason).

So, I might now want to go to Dandeli or perhaps drop that as well if Supreme Court does not lift the ban on October 16.

In that case, I would prefer to go and stay in Goa for a few days.

Should I just continue from Karwar towards Palolem? How is this coastal route from Murudeshwar to Goa?
Old 9th October 2012, 16:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
How is this coastal route from Murudeshwar to Goa?
NH17 has been reported to be terrible after the rains(well nothing new since its the norm every monsoon)
Old 9th October 2012, 17:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
NH17 has been reported to be terrible after the rains(well nothing new since its the norm every monsoon)
That is a dampener indeed. I would expect the road upto Karwar to be better.
Old 18th October 2012, 20:04   #49
BHPian

S_U_N, I did Mumbai - Anshi - Karwar - Yana - Mumbai last week.

I strongly recommend the following route:
Mumbai to Belgaum: NH4. Fabulous, except for some average stretches between Pune and Satara. I got a 3.00 AM start and literally beat traffic in Mumbai, Pune and further ahead, to reach Belgaum by 12.00 noon
Belgaum - Khanapur - Ramnagar - Ganeshgudi: I think this is called SH 34 or simply Belgaum - Khanapur Road. The road again is very good except for the Khanapur - Ramnagar stretch which is quite bad.
You could stay at the Old Magazine House at Ganeshgudi, which is managed by Jungle Lodges and Resorts, a Dept of Tourism, Govt of Karnataka enterprise. The location is in the middle of the forest and fabulous. Service is great, though ambience is not too great.
Ganeshgudi - Joida - Kumbharwada - Anshi - Kadra - Sadashivgad - Karwar: The road used to be bad but has now been patched up extremely well. The entire stretch is fabulous, except for a 5 - 6 km between Kumbharwada - Anshi which is very bad and there is literally no road. I drove an i20 and had no trouble navigating this stretch.
Best place to stay in Karwar is Devbagh Beach Resort, again run by Jungle Lodges - absolutely excellent, though quite pricey.
I turned back at Karwar to visit Yana for which I took the Ankola - Yellapur - Hubli bypass - Belgaum route. The entire road is great except for the Hubli bypass which is pathetic to say the least. You could alternatively try the Yellapur - Haliyal - Belgaum road, which is supposed to be pretty good, but too many speed breakers for about 50 kms which slows down driving badly.

I would also suggest an early start from Mumbai, since the two wheeler traffic between Pune - Satara - Kolhapur is quite heavy and all heavy vehicles occupy the right lane to avoid 2 wheelers. I started at 3.00 and reached Ganeshgudi by 1.30 PM with a 1 hr pit stop for breakfast some 30 kms before Kolhapur [excellent place called Sai International].

Other stay options are Hotel Ramdev in Belgaum (it is 3 - 4 kms down the road, after you turn off from the NH 4) and a good place.

I owe a travelogue and route report with pics to ampere and Ravi Bhat who helped me with route planning - hope to do that soon!
ramraman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 20:23   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramraman View Post
Ganeshgudi - Joida - Kumbharwada - Anshi - Kadra - Sadashivgad - Karwar: The road used to be bad but has now been patched up extremely well. The entire stretch is fabulous, except for a 5 - 6 km between Kumbharwada - Anshi which is very bad and there is literally no road. I drove an i20 and had no trouble navigating this stretch.
Wow!

Great to hear that Kadra-Karwar roads are nicely patched. They used to be really bad when I used to take them. Nevertheless one of the most beautiful of locations.
Not to mention the Kali river valley ! Really waiting for your pictures.

Too bad, that the ban was lifted just a day after your drive. Never mind,
now you can do one more !
Old 18th October 2012, 23:24   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The safaris are from Dandeli, which is not too far from Ganeshgudi (refer my reply to your thread).
The rafting may not be very exciting since its only level 1 and bit of level 2 rapids. You can also do a coracle ride, not very thrilling but good to see water birds.
With a small kid, rafting is ruled out and none of us are interested in bird watching. I am still in two minds whether to go there or not.

The only requirements were:
1. Jeep safari
2. Spot a tiger or atleast an elephant.
3. Nothing else.

Quote:
Strongly recommend you drive via Anshi with a stop at Old Magazine House. From there, Murudeshwar is an easy drive (Karwar is only 100 kms) and the road via Anshi is very very good except for a 6 km stretch between Kumbharwada and Anshi that is very bad.
I am starting from Pune (not Mumbai) early in the morning and target to reach Murudeshwar in 12 hours.
ampere suggest that I go all the way to Hubli and then turn towards Ankola (NH63).

Quote:
S_U_N, I did Mumbai - Anshi - Karwar - Yana - Mumbai last week.

I strongly recommend the following route:

Belgaum - Khanapur - Ramnagar - Ganeshgudi: I think this is called SH 34 or simply Belgaum - Khanapur Road. The road again is very good except for the Khanapur - Ramnagar stretch which is quite bad.
The entire stretch is fabulous, except for a 5 - 6 km between Kumbharwada - Anshi which is very bad and there is literally no road. I drove an i20 and had no trouble navigating this stretch.
On my return journey, I might go to Dandeli instead of Anshi. For this we might come back to Yellapur and take road towards Haliyal.

Although the ban has been lifted, I am not too sure what would be operational and how soon. SC has given authority to some tiger agency to dictate terms hence forth.
In any case, I don't expect to see any tigers in that entire region. Even if we spot an elephant in the wild, that will still make the visit worthwhile for my son.
Old 19th October 2012, 10:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In any case, I don't expect to see any tigers in that entire region. Even if we spot an elephant in the wild, that will still make the visit worthwhile for my son.
Sighting animals in Dandeli is very rare - even commonly found spotted deers and Sambars are rare. But if you are very very lucky you could spot a Black Panther! And there are lots of mugger crocodiles - you can see people washing their clothes and taking bath by the side of the river, where a crocodile would be basking in the sun on a small river island a few meters away!! Dandeli is a birders paradise. Also if you love forests - the best place to spend a few days
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 16:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Sighting animals in Dandeli is very rare - even commonly found spotted deers and Sambars are rare. But if you are very very lucky you could spot a Black Panther! And there are lots of mugger crocodiles - you can see people washing their clothes and taking bath by the side of the river, where a crocodile would be basking in the sun on a small river island a few meters away!! Dandeli is a birders paradise. Also if you love forests - the best place to spend a few days
I agree.
The only reason why I thought about Dandeli and Anshi is that it comes on the way from Murudeshwar to Pune (and we have a couple of days time with us). Plus Dandeli has a safari and a tree house too.
The big question I have is is it worth spending Rs. 3600 for a couple + small kid for 15 hours?
We leave from Murudeshwar post lunch and can reach Dandeli only by 6 PM - 8 PM or so and the checkout next day is around 11 AM.
Old 20th October 2012, 15:47   #54
BHPian

Quote:
I agree.
The big question I have is is it worth spending Rs. 3600 for a couple + small kid for 15 hours?
We leave from Murudeshwar post lunch and can reach Dandeli only by 6 PM - 8 PM or so and the checkout next day is around 11 AM.
The place is worth it even to just drive around; if you reach by 6 PM and have until 11 next day, you can easily catch the nature, serenity, sounds of the forest, peace and a short trek in the morning, if you like these things. I would say the price is certainly worth it.
Old 20th October 2012, 17:43   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
I would say the price is certainly worth it.
It depends on the perspective of stay. For example if you want to spend just a night after a tired day's drive, many may not even have the energy to for a morning safari if it exists.

But many would have gone just for that purpose alone and would easily get over the fatigue.
Old 28th October 2012, 09:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

Just got back from a trip - Pune - Murudeshwar - Goa - (and back via) Mollem - Khanapur - Pune.

Last 25-30 KM towards Murudeshwar is extremely bad.
The shortcut from Anmod check post to Khanapur (33 KM) is best avoided. I took advise from locals and make a mistake of driving through that route. There is virtually no road from perhaps 10-15 KM in that jungle.
I will repost this in a more appropriate thread if I find one.
Other than that the overall route is fine. Karnataka roads are bad compare to Goa routes.

Last edited by S_U_N : 28th October 2012 at 09:22. Reason: Edit: Checkpost was Anmod.
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:24   #57
BHPian

Latest update

I had suggested a friend elsewhere to try Belgaum--Khanapur--Ramnagar--Ganeshgudi--Anshi ghat--Sadashivgadh route for his drive from Mumbai to Karwar. As per his latest update from last week, the roads remain spic and span with zero potholes in the entire stretch. I had taken this route more than a year back, I am glad to know from him that the newly paved forest roads in Karwar district continue to remain in a supersmooth condition after an year. It seems Sadashivgadh--Karwar NH17 is the only short stretch where road widening is on in full swing with diversions. He said the road right after Ramnagar through Anshi ghat is almost buttersmooth with very less traffic. Belgaum to Ramnagar is NH4A which we all know has been recently revamped. Ofcourse scenery is abundant on this stretch. UK ( Uttar Kannada district ) is a paradise in monsoons, the forests and hills here don't lose the lush green character even at the peak of summer.
Sharing pics from my last year ride, as per him the roads are still the same --
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Karwar : Which route should i take?-img_20150614_120142207_hdr.jpg  

Mumbai - Karwar : Which route should i take?-img_20150614_120222202_hdr.jpg  

Mumbai - Karwar : Which route should i take?-img_20150614_120151555.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:31   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I had suggested a friend elsewhere to try Belgaum--Khanapur--Ramnagar--Ganeshgudi--Anshi ghat--Sadashivgadh route for his drive from Mumbai to Karwar.
Please note night travel on certain sections of Anshi have been imposed (6PM to 6AM I think starting this year).
Old 23rd June 2016, 11:14   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Please note night travel on certain sections of Anshi have been imposed (6PM to 6AM I think starting this year).
You are right. The section in Anshi forest area where this ban from 6pm to 6a.m has been imposed is Potoli--Gund--Ulavi stretch (35kms). This is as per the news clip. But this stretch most likely does not fall on the main Ganeshgudi--Sadashivgad road that I have mentioned above, its probably an internal one. I have been to Ulavi twice before but via Kumbharwada. I didn't come across this Potoli anywhere and neither can I locate Potoli village on gmaps. There is one more Potoli near Londa but that is 98 kms away and the ban is only 35kms stretch around Ulavi. I could find Gund village on gmap. I tried to connect two points on gmaps, sharing a snapshot of the same here. Most likely this is the stretch where the ban is imposed, because it starts from Ulavi goes via Gund village and intersects at another main road and coincidentally this is exactly 34 kms. Knowing that roads to Ulavi from all sides are narrow and pass through densest forests, I think the route in the snapshot is very much Potoli-Gund-Ulavi. But let me not be assertive here , someone needs to personally go and check on this (unfortunately I don't have any trips planned in the near future).
Mumbai - Karwar : Which route should i take?-screenshot_20160623104908.png

I have not been towards Karwar past an year, so I myself can't authenticate if the route I point out in gmap is exactly the one where there is a night ban. For the same reason, I had indicated it to my friend that "some part of Anshi route" has a night ban and asked him to cross it before dusk.

Until we confirm that the main road does not have a night ban, lets assume it does, to be on safer side. Thanks for adding a note
Old 23rd June 2016, 11:32   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Until we confirm that the main road does not have a night ban, lets assume it does, to be on safer side. Thanks for adding a note
I have always been accustomed to seeing broken roads on these stretches. Sadashivgad-Kadra-Anshi-Kumbharwada-Joida-Dandeli-Haliyal (or Joida-Ganeshgudi-Ramnagar-Londa). Good to hear roads have improved.

But I still hope, these roads are not promoted in a very big way to maintain their sanctity. Especially because they cannot scale up to increasing traffic density. But, near zero facilities on these sections as of today continue to main the low traffic levels on these sections but for the enthusiasts, who explicitly want to visit here. Add to it the fact, these sections do not also help reduce travel time to Ankola/Karwar in a big way compared to NH63. So; many still many dont prefer this section. (That also partially helps maintain lower traffic levels).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks