Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 08:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau
Bengaluru and Tirupati !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
Yeah, WA is scheduled for a total of 2500kms run in October with one trip ( Hyd-TPT-Hyd) and another being ( Hyd-BLR-Hyd)
Nice-a! WA will surely enjoy the blast on NH7. Avi bhai, I'll reiterate after having done both roads that you'll find the NH7 even better than the GQ (MGEW included). You'll especially relish the Anantapur - Penukonda stretch. Enjoy!

Please stick to Hyd - Anantapur - left turn - Kadiri - Tirupati rather than the shorter Kurnool - Nandyal - Kadapa - Rajampet route. The latter wasn't in great shape when I did it and I've heard the monsoon made it worse.

Regards,
spadix
Old 28th September 2011, 10:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 15,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Please stick to Hyd - Anantapur - left turn - Kadiri - Tirupati rather than the shorter Kurnool - Nandyal - Kadapa - Rajampet route. The latter wasn't in great shape when I did it and I've heard the monsoon made it worse.
Regards,
spadix
But that will be around 90 kms longer! And do we know the condition of the road from Ananthapur to Tirupati via Kadiri and Pileru, which is around 270 kms long?

There is yet another road from Gooty to Kadapa via Tadipatri which is 20 to 30 kms longer. It was real smooth 2 years ago, but not sure of the curent condition.
Old 28th September 2011, 10:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 15,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
But that will be around 90 kms longer! And do we know the condition of the road from Ananthapur to Tirupati via Kadiri and Pileru, which is around 270 kms long?
I have a couple of data points. After my trip in December 2010, Dad went to Piler in January 2011 his car. He took the Kurnool - Nandyal - Kadapa - Piler route (not Kadapa - Rajampet) and it was so horrible that he returned via Anantapur. He said the road was much better and the extra kms didn't matter because it took the same time!

Another data point is Ravvs' return trip from Chennai, again earlier this year if I remember correctly. He too said this route was in good shape.

I heard from a couple of ex-colleagues that the Kurnool - Nandyal - Kadapa stretch deteriorated during the monsoons. It's possible that Anantapur - Kadiri suffered the same fate but I know that Kadiri - Piler is in good shape.

Quote:
There is yet another road from Gooty to Kadapa via Tadipatri which is 20 to 30 kms longer. It was real smooth 2 years ago, but not sure of the curent condition.
I think this could be a good option too but I have no idea about the road condition either.

Regards,
spadix
Old 28th September 2011, 13:05   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Tirupati : Route Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by srimath View Post
Avi Bhai,

The total distance from Tarnaka to Srinivasam Complex, Tpty is 541KMs. The route was HYD-KURNOOL-NANDYAL-KADAPA-RAJAMPET-TPTY.

Kurnool-Kadapa is being 4 laned. Also patchy road between Orvakal-Nandyal. You can easily reach tirupati in 8-9 hours(I took 9 hours in my estillo).

Kadapa-Rajampet-Kodur-Tirupati is a nice road though you need to watch out for speed breakers before & after villages.
Thanks Srimath. 9 hours seems heartening to note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srimath View Post
I am going to tirupati again this week.
Please report here with a detailed post with the route taken, kms between each town ( if possible) and road condition. Would be really helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Make sure that you reach the base of Tirumala before 12 AM midnight. Vehicles are not allowed to enter the Ghat between 12 AM and 4 AM for 4 hours.
Thanks for the info. Though i am not worried about the ghat closure timing as I plan to leave home at 6:00am and reach Tirupathi by 3:00pm. Same timings while returning back home. Want to avoid night driving as there will be 3 ladies in the car

Quote:
If you have time, you can take the 25 kms route to Talakaona waterfalls by taking the left turn at Bhakrapeta. The falls amid thick forest will be good after monsoons. We went in June, and they were not worth the visit, as there was not much water then.
Thanks for this tip. Will surely try to include this pleasurable deviation to our route.

As this will be my first drive to Tirupathi. Any other relevant info would be nice for e.g: Any restrictions of car on ghat/luggage checking etc?? Any idea of the toll price for the ghat?

As of now the plan for this trip is either 3rd week Oct or 1st Week Nov.
Old 28th September 2011, 13:45   #65
Senior - BHPian

Talakona is a must-visit if one has the time. The place is also famous as the jungle area was where scenes/shots of some movies were set.

It might be difficult for older people to climb up even to the base of the falls, forget the trek up.

As for the route, the information I have from Dec. 2010/Jan. 2011 is that there is a certain really bad stretch of around 30 kms between Kadapa and Rayachoti where there's absolutely no road. Kurnool - Nandyal - Kadapa also makes for some slow progress. The stretch of road through Nandyal town was particularly bad when I did it.

Kadapa - Rajampet is fine except for the odd pothole that suddenly comes up when you're doing triple-digit speeds on an otherwise fabulous road. The speed-breakers before and after every village are tall but if taken at an angle, won't scrape even against a fully-loaded car. In all other respects, Kadapa - Rajampet is the spitting image of the excellent AP SH61 from Putalapattu - Tirupati, one of the few two-laned undivided roads in the country sporting a 100 kmph speed limit!

Piler - Bhakarapeta - Tirupati is a very nice route. We're very familiar with this route as my uncle used to stay in Piler, and for many years, Tirupati/Tirumala + Piler was our "package deal". Though it's a small town, it's very strategically located bang in the middle of the Madanapalle - Chittoor - Tirupati - Kadapa polygon.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 14:03   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Thanks for this tip. Will surely try to include this pleasurable deviation to our route.

As this will be my first drive to Tirupathi. Any other relevant info would be nice for e.g: Any restrictions of car on ghat/luggage checking etc?? Any idea of the toll price for the ghat?

As of now the plan for this trip is either 3rd week Oct or 1st Week Nov.
No idea regarding toll charges, but they won't give you a heart attack, so don't worry. But they do ask you to park at Alipiri near the toll gate, remove your luggage from the boot and get it scanned in a room, like in an airport.

I am not sure of restricted items, but spare car batteries are a no-no, but that should not bother you. We realised this becuase our car's battery conked off uphill, and it was a helluva job to get a new one from downhill.

Since you are going with 3 ladies, I suggest you skip Talakona, as one needs to walk for around 800 meters from the parking area on a slope to get to the base of the waterfalls. It is a different matter if the older ladies volunteer to sit in the car for an hour when you guys venture out. There is plenty of shade in the forest for relaxing in the car.

Therefore, Talakona is advisable only if you are going via Rayachoti, as you will have spare time. On the return, most people will be in a hurry and hence not advisable for a 2-hour deviation.

On our return, we were stopped by cops near Shamshabad and they thoroughly checked the boot. I guess there were some elections in June 2009 warranting such vehicle checks.

If you are planning a trip in Nov 1st week, why not do Bangalore - Tirupati after the Metallica concert? I am sure the ladies would not mind shopping around in Bangalore when you are in the concert.
Old 28th September 2011, 14:40   #67
BHPian

Quote:
No idea regarding toll charges, but they won't give you a heart attack, so don't worry. But they do ask you to park at Alipiri near the toll gate, remove your luggage from the boot and get it scanned in a room, like in an airport.

I am not sure of restricted items, but spare car batteries are a no-no, but that should not bother you. We realised this becuase our car's battery conked off uphill, and it was a helluva job to get a new one from downhill.

No alcohol, No cigarettes (I think they do not force this now even though the rule is there) , No non vegetarian food, and no other intoxicants. These are the ones that they look for most especially if a bunch of guys are in the car. If there are ladies, I doubt they do such thorough checking.

They even asked me if I carried cash in the range of 1 lac Rs. Not sure why though.

I think toll is Rs 30 for a jeep and Rs. 15 for a car.

Since you are going with 3 ladies, I suggest you skip Talakona, as one needs to walk for around 800 meters from the parking area on a slope to get to the base of the waterfalls. It is a different matter if the older ladies volunteer to sit in the car for an hour when you guys venture out. There is plenty of shade in the forest for relaxing in the car.

If you have enough time, then even the ladies can go upto the base of the falls. For this one must be at the falls early as it is going to take a good 1.5 hours at slow pace to reach the base. But make sure everyone is healthy to make this trip. My father and mother who were around 55 did this. Also if you tend to make friends with the gate keeper or govt official at guest house there, they might even allow your car inside for some distance. After that, its about 30-45 minutes walk at leisurely pace.

On our return, we were stopped by cops near Shamshabad and they thoroughly checked the boot. I guess there were some elections in June 2009 warranting such vehicle checks.

Depends on the mood of the police. Now a days they are checking a lot of vehicles within city but not near Shamshabad.

If you are planning a trip in Nov 1st week, why not do Bangalore - Tirupati after the Metallica concert? I am sure the ladies would not mind shopping around in Bangalore when you are in the concert.
Metallica: Here I come. Tickets already booked and 2 cars coming to Bangalore from Hyderabad

Also if you think you cannot make it to Talakona, do visit Chandragiri fort and the sound at light show there which starts at 7 pm. If you are free during day, you can also visit Srinivasa Mangapuram.
Some of other suggestions in this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2522468

Last edited by himavanth_m : 28th September 2011 at 14:43.
Old 29th September 2011, 10:14   #68
BHPian

Stick to Kurnool-Nandyal-Kadapa-Rajampet. Bad patches around Nandyal and 4 laning working will not affect you. This is the fastest and best way.

Eating places on the highway:

Ghar Dhaba on your right just before Kurnool.

Rock Garden @ Orvakal after Kurnool

APTDC Haritha just before Kadapa(This place has clean rest rooms as well)
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:16   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

I am scheduled to drive down to Tirupathi on Nov 4th and return on Nov 6th or 7th.

Decided to take this route which shows the total distance of 557kms on Google maps.

Hyderabad-Kurnool-Nandyal-Kadapa-Rajampet

Some additional queries

1. Any landmark for turning left towards Nandyal? Do I need to go through the Kurnool town or its before the town starts?

2. How far is Golden Temple at Vellore? Are the roads good? Can I go and come back in 6-8 hours???
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:35   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Any landmark for turning left towards Nandyal? Do I need to go through the Kurnool town or its before the town starts?
NH7 bypasses Kurnool, but for NH18 I think one needs to find some other way (apart from going through the town).

I have never driven there, but looking at the map, I see this option

Bangalore-Hyderabad Highway to Unknown road - Google Maps

Can some one comment on this? I see only 4km from NH7 to hit NH18 and that too outside Kurnool.
So it should be easy.

Quote:
2. How far is Golden Temple at Vellore? Are the roads good? Can I go and come back in 6-8 hours???
Tirupati to Vellore is about 100 km. Roads are good. But do note that you need
to be alert to spot the Katpadi diversion from NH4.

Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh to Vellore, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 15:11   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am scheduled to drive down to Tirupathi on Nov 4th and return on Nov 6th or 7th.

Decided to take this route which shows the total distance of 557kms on Google maps.

Some additional queries

Avi, you don't have to touch Nandyal. If you take the highway from Kurnool to Kadapa, you will find a left turn towards Nandyal after an hour's drive from Kurnool. You need to go straight, therefore Nandyal does not come into the picture.

Getting onto the Kurnool to Kadapa highway does need some asking around. You need to leave NH7 and turn left into Kurnool town. After around 2 to 3 kms, amid narrow roads, you need to turn right to the Kadapa highway. I don't recollect seeing good signage for that road. But Kate should help you out.

By the way, the Rock Gardens at Orvakkal, around 30 kms after Kurnool is a good point for stopping and dining. It is also a good spot for photos.

Last edited by vnabhi : 2nd November 2011 at 15:12.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 15:18   #72
BHPian

If you pass through Kurnool town, you need to take the right turn after the bus stand and tuen right again at Raj Vihar Hotel. This will take you straight onto Kadapa road.
Old 2nd November 2011, 15:23   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Avi, you don't have to touch Nandyal. If you take the highway from Kurnool to Kadapa, you will find a left turn towards Nandyal after an hour's drive from Kurnool. You need to go straight, therefore Nandyal does not come into the picture.
@vnabhi, does NH18 automatically by-pass Nandyal town? Because I dont anything
marked at Nandyal as by-pass on Google maps.
Old 2nd November 2011, 15:26   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@vnabhi, does NH18 automatically by-pass Nandyal town? Because I dont anything
marked at Nandyal as by-pass on Google maps.
Yes it does. I could not get to see Nandyal when I drove to and fro on NH18. I did see a board though stating Nandyal was on the left while going from Kurnool to Kadapa.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 15:47   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Completed the trip as planned. Left Hyderabad on 2nd April at 5:37 a.m and checked in at Bhimas Residency in Tirupati at 3:30 p.m. Took Route 1 while going.
Here are my comments for route 1.

Comments :
3. Four laning work is in progress all through from Kurnool till kadapa, which affects the speed and slows you down.
4.Road is a narrow 2 lane with no shoulder at all at some place. So, sometimes very difficult to give way and to make room for overtaking and oncoming vehicles. Therfore drive carefully and defensively.
5. Surface is mostly good, but bad patches at Orvakal, Nandyal. These bad patches are for a very small distance but are terrible. But no fuss, guiding my Ikon over those surface.
7. From Kadapa till Renigunta and Tirupati, road surface is good. It's a two lane road but again riddled with lots of humps. There are humps before and after the small villages across the route. Be careful while driving, some humps would take you by surprise and you will fail to notice if you are not too careful, though all the humps are mostly marked with signages.
Here is the link of route on google maps, that I created.
2011-04-02 05:37 - Google Maps
Pandeyji, have quoted my post on the route updates and marked in bold the points I feel is important in that route.
The 4-laning work must have progressed but still be mindful of the road shoulders and drive a little defensively.
Also have given the link to exact route for Tirupati that I tracked through GPS. If you can feed it to your Kate, you will have no trouble reaching Tirupati at all.
All the best for your journey.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks