Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 07:05   #106
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Tirupati : Route Info

Hi Guys,

Driving to Tirupathi tomorrow, plan is to start by 2PM and as of now based on the thread route decided is Hyd-Kurnool-Gooty-Ananthapur-Kadiri-Piler-Tirupathi. Other optional route is to Hyd-Kurnool-Gooty-Tadipatri-Kadapa-Rajampet-Tirupathi. Which route will be better considering that I will be driving in night on the 2 lane road?

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Old 12th June 2012, 08:46   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe
Driving to Tirupathi tomorrow, plan is to start by 2PM and as of now based on the thread route decided is Hyd-Kurnool-Gooty-Ananthapur-Kadiri-Piler-Tirupathi. Other optional route is to Hyd-Kurnool-Gooty-Tadipatri-Kadapa-Rajampet-Tirupathi. Which route will be better considering that I will be driving in night on the 2 lane road?
The first route is marginally better, longer and a little less popular than the 2nd which is shorter. (Please don't try to combine the two by doing Kadapa - Rayachoti - Piler.)

There is consensus now, however, that Hyd - Kurnool - Nandyal - Kadapa - Rajampeta - Tirupati is almost free of construction activity in the Kurnool - Nandyal - Kadapa sector. I've taken this route before construction and it was alright, not excellent. The construction is supposed to have improved road conditions. If yes, this will be the shortest *and* fastest route. It took me between 10 and 10.5 hrs by this route between Srinagar Colony and Alipiri with some very leisurely driving (again, before construction when Kurnool - Nandyal - Kadapa was not in too great shape).

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 09:57   #108
BHPian

Back from my trip and here is an update:

Option # 3 (Hyderabad -> Kurnool -> Gooty -> Ananatapur -> Chikballapur -> Palamaner -> Chittor -> Vellore) was a bad idea.

Upto chikballapur it is NH7 and was an absolute breeze to drive but the section between chikballapur to Mulbagal (~ 88 kms) was pathetic, especially the section
between chikballapur to chintamani ( ~ 40 kms) was horrible, hardly any road.
This section of ~ 88 kms would have taken me around 3 hours to complete. Few diversions and lots of broken roads and some surprise speed breakers. The last section
between Mulbagal to chittor to Katpadi was decent.

On my return, I chose option # 2
(Vellore -> Chittor - Palamaner -> Madanapalle -> Kadiri -> Ananatapur -> Gooty -> Kurnool -> Hyderabad ).
Ananatapur to Hyderabad is NH7 and the section between Chittor to Ananatpur via Madanapalle and Kadiri is also very very decent.

So, if Kurnool -> Nandyal -> Kuddapah -> Rayachoti is not an option you can try the
option # 2 mentioned above.
drvhplyevraftr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 18:19   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
The first route is marginally better, longer and a little less popular than the 2nd which is shorter. (Please don't try to combine the two by doing Kadapa - Rayachoti - Piler.)
Thanks Spadix for the information, most likely I would be taking the ananthapur route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post

(Vellore -> Chittor - Palamaner -> Madanapalle -> Kadiri -> Ananatapur -> Gooty -> Kurnool -> Hyderabad ).
Ananatapur to Hyderabad is NH7 and the section between Chittor to Ananatpur via Madanapalle and Kadiri is also very very decent.
Thanks drvhplyevraftr, this confirms that route b/w ananthapur - madanapalle is fairly good, only thing I need to know is the road condition b/w madanapalle - piler - tirupathi. Most likely I think this route would be good.

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Old 12th June 2012, 20:48   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
Thanks Spadix for the information, most likely I would be taking the ananthapur route.
You're welcome.

Quote:
Thanks drvhplyevraftr, this confirms that route b/w ananthapur - madanapalle is fairly good, only thing I need to know is the road condition b/w madanapalle - piler - tirupathi. Most likely I think this route would be good.
Piler - Tirupati is always in top shape. I know this because an uncle of mine used to live and work in Piler and this was a very regular route for us on a TTD tour. For him it was almost a once a week trip on this route and there were never any complaints.

Madanapalle - Piler is 70-80% as good as Piler - Tirupati.

Just be careful because it's a curvy, undivided 2-lane road through and through (esp. the ghats near Bhakarapeta). Very fun to drive.

Despite being a major town for the area, Piler is very easily crossed (5-10 mins at your slowest) and there shouldn't be any hold-ups whatever be the time of day. Bhakarapeta is similar.

Regards,
spadix
Old 12th June 2012, 21:04   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Madanapalle - Piler is 70-80% as good as Piler - Tirupati.

Just be careful because it's a curvy, undivided 2-lane road through and through (esp. the ghats near Bhakarapeta). Very fun to drive.

Despite being a major town for the area, Piler is very easily crossed (5-10 mins at your slowest) and there shouldn't be any hold-ups whatever be the time of day. Bhakarapeta is similar.

Regards,
spadix
Very useful information spadix, cleared my doubts on the road conditions. As I would be starting at 2 PM from Hyd, I guess the drive on Madanapalle-Piler-Tirupathi will be after 9 PM or so, is it safe to drive at that time ? If required, we can stay in Piler or Madanapalli. Which one is better to stay for overnight ?

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Old 12th June 2012, 21:13   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very useful information spadix, cleared my doubts on the road conditions. As I would be starting at 2 PM from Hyd, I guess the drive on Madanapalle-Piler-Tirupathi will be after 9 PM or so, is it safe to drive at that time ? If required, we can stay in Piler or Madanapalli. Which one is better to stay for overnight ?

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Madanapalle seems to be a bigger place to stay, in case you are tired or not confident. Pileru is smaller. You can even stay at Horseley Hills in the AP Tourism cottages. You can check online if they are available. They are generally booked only on weekends.
Old 12th June 2012, 21:20   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's safe to the extent that it's as safe or unsafe as driving after sun-down in any other reasonably safe part of India. Take it slow because it's a curvy undivided road with ghat sections and sometimes, thick vegetation on either side. I've done Piler to Tirupati at 4 AM w/o issues.

Madanapalle to Piler is some 50-odd kms and Piler to Tirupati another 60-odd. You can comfortably do this in 2 hrs at a very sedate pace. The route is very straightforward and you'll have to try very hard to get lost.

Perhaps you could even tail an APSRTC bus. Beware if you do this, though, that they are pretty fast on that ghat stretch even at night because they know it like the back of their hand -- a luxury you do not have. Unless you're travelling with family or your car's in not too great shape or you generally don't like driving at night, I would suggest continuing to Tirupati w/o breaks.

If you do have to take a break, Madanapalle offers more options, like Venu Sir said.

Regards,
spadix
Old 12th June 2012, 22:55   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Madanapalle seems to be a bigger place to stay, in case you are tired or not confident. Pileru is smaller.
Quote:
Unless you're travelling with family or your car's in not too great shape or you generally don't like driving at night, I would suggest continuing to Tirupati w/o breaks.

If you do have to take a break, Madanapalle offers more options, like Venu Sir said.

Regards,
spadix
Many thanks for both of you vnabhi, spadix for the updates. Yes, I am travelling with family, hence plan to stay overnight at some place and Madanapalle seems to be fine as it's not too far from Tirupathi (120 KM's). Will reserve the option of staying at Horsley hills at some other time in another drive ;-), but will explore the possibility.

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Old 12th June 2012, 23:03   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Many thanks for both of you vnabhi, spadix for the updates. Yes, I am travelling with family, hence plan to
stay overnight at some place and Madanapalle seems to be fine as it's not too far from Tirupathi (120 KM's). Will reserve the option of
staying at Horsley hills at some other time in another drive ;-), but will explore the possibility.
The other thing which I hear is that you get hardly any facilities on this road.
Except for the town don't expect much more.

(I mean NH205 Anantpur to Madanapalle)
Old 13th June 2012, 10:56   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The other thing which I hear is that you get hardly any facilities on this road.
Except for the town don't expect much more.

(I mean NH205 Anantpur to Madanapalle)
Ok ampere, will keep this in mind and try to reach Madanapalle by 9 - 10 PM

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Old 18th June 2012, 11:45   #117
Senior - BHPian

Was in Tirupathi last week end the road update.
Hyderabad - Kurnool four lane excellent
Kurnool - Nandyal Some stretches of four laning complete.
Nandyal - Cuddapah four laning in progress lot of deviations a bridge across
the river near Khajipeta is progressing.
Day driving preferable between Kurnool-Cuddapah.
Cuddapah-Renigunta very good road.
gajadonga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 13:07   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Was in Tirupathi last week end the road update.
Hyderabad - Kurnool four lane excellent
Kurnool - Nandyal Some stretches of four laning complete.
Nandyal - Cuddapah four laning in progress lot of deviations a bridge across
the river near Khajipeta is progressing.
Day driving preferable between Kurnool-Cuddapah.
Cuddapah-Renigunta very good road.
How long was the drive?If you could break it down sector wise,would be really helpful.Thanks in advance.Would you reccomend this route to Tirupati from Hyd?
Old 18th June 2012, 13:17   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
How long was the drive?If you could break it down sector wise,would be really helpful.Thanks in advance.Would you reccomend this route to Tirupati from Hyd?

Hyderabad-Kurnool 2.3-3hrs
Kurnool-Cuddapah 4-5 hrs
Cudappah- Renigunta 2.3-3 hrs.

This route is definitely drivable. There are many unmarked diversions due to four laning and the
traffic between Cudappah-Mydukur is quite heavy so preferably day journey would be better
gajadonga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 13:23   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Hyderabad-Kurnool 2.3-3hrs
Kurnool-Cuddapah 4-5 hrs
Cudappah- Renigunta 2.3-3 hrs.

This route is definitely drivable. There are many unmarked diversions due to four laning and the
traffic between Cudappah-Mydukur is quite heavy so preferably day journey would be better
Thanks,

-also what would be ideal places for a break both ways?Are there are reccomended restaurants-Haritas?

-Would you reccomend going upto Anantpur and then taking the road to Kadiri-Madanapalle-Tirupati?Advantage of driving along the 4lane NH7 from Anantpur itself?

-If from Kurnool,any landmark from where the diversion to Kadapa is to be taken?

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks