Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2011, 18:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Tarkarli : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is it that bad, getting in and out of Kolhapur town? I dont know much about that aspect.
Maybe others can comment. HVK?
Ampere, driving in Kolhapur is a nightmare! The roads are still under repair and the traffic is chaotic. You will be lucky if you are able to get out of the city without a dent on your car!!

The signages are very bad. You may have to depend on locals for route info or on a GPS! I will avoid Kolhapur at all costs!!!
Old 7th May 2011, 18:08   #17
Team-BHP Support

CL are you saying then that, its better to drive all the way to Nippani and take the Radhanagari route? (Assuming the Gaganbawda option is not preferrable).
Old 7th May 2011, 18:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
CL are you saying then that, its better to drive all the way to Nippani and take the Radhanagari route? (Assuming the Gaganbawda option is not preferrable).
Yes Ampere. I would avoid GaganBawda route, since I have done it a lot of times. It is better to continue on NH4 till Nippani and take the Radhanagari route. NH4 is simply awesome and one can maintain 120 kmph after Kolhapur. The NH17 route through Kankavli will slow down even the best of drivers.

I am not aware of the Radhanagari route. I think it goes through Ponda ghats. Correct me if I am wrong!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 7th May 2011 at 18:58.
Old 7th May 2011, 19:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

I did a Mumbai-Goa-Mumbai last week .. went via NH4 and came back by NH 17 . You should take the NH4 , you can cover ground at high speed . NH17 is twisty and fairly good for driving but heavy trucks lugging around in the steep slopes makes the scene a bit dangerous for overtaking manouvres which sacrifices speed too .
Old 7th May 2011, 19:53   #20
Team-BHP Support

@deutscheafrikar,

@Chevy_Lover has answered all your questions.

In fact there is enough day light, you can even enjoy the lake at Radhanagari!
Old 8th May 2011, 10:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

@ampere you're right Cl answered all my questions and as AP says this is a good option.
@CL yes youre right just missed on 'h' since it's Phondaghat the road leads too.
This is part of the SH116 so maybe it's not that bad. Need to try it out
Old 20th December 2012, 19:19   #22
BHPian

Sorry to open this old thread. I am planning a trip from Pune to Malvan this weekend and was planning to take the Pune-Kolhapur-Nippani-Radhanagari-Malvan route. Any suggestions about the route and any decent hotels on the way for breakfast lunch?
Old 27th October 2013, 20:28   #23
BHPian

Hi, since there seems to be no Pune - Tarkarli Route, I am posting my question here, closest match.

I am riding out to Tarkarli from Pune on 2nd Nov 2013 and returning on 5th (Solo as yet). Will be staying at Devbagh - Omkar.

I am partial to the Pune-Sankeshwar-Amboli route since I did that for Goa this August.

But also want to check out the Radhanagri forest ride.
Pune-Kolhapur-Radhanagri-Kasal-Tarkarli

Or

Pune-Kolhapur-Gaganbawda(nice ghat I hear)-Fonda-Tarkarli

Need help on
1. Which would be the nicest route in Nov?
2. Road conditions please!

Many thanks!

- Saurab
Old 16th March 2016, 15:07   #24
BHPian

Reviving this old thread on the route to Tarkarli, can anyone please share the latest update on the road conditions.

I am driving to Shirdi from Hyderabad this Saturday and heading to Tarkarli on Sunday. Google has not been very helpful on old route suggested by Ashish Pallod.

Is the old route still the best option

satara-kolhapur-city cross-radhanagari-phonda ghat-kankwali-malwan-tarkarli

Thanks in advance.

Chetan
Old 16th March 2016, 15:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Take the NH4. You Can take a detour from Kolhapur and take either the Gaganbawda or Phonda Ghat road. I cant comment on the road conditions as i traveled on these roads a few years ago.

However i did travel to Tarkarli in Feb 2016 from Mumbai. I took NH4 till Nipani, then Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi road and touched NH17 and then tracked back to Tarkarli. The Amboli Ghat road is in good condition with very minor bad sections.

This is definitely a longer route and i just wanted to try it because all my earlier trips via Kolhapur were not great as the Gaganbawda / Phonda Ghat roads were in bad shape.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 13th April 2016, 07:53   #26
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Tarkarli : Route Queries

Any updates anyone?

I'm travelling from Mumbai to Tarkarli and back in a couple of days.
Mumbai - Tarkarli, I will be taking the NH4 till Kolhapur. Please let me know the best route after that or should I just follow Google Guru?

Tarkarli-Mumbai, I plan to take the NH17 mainly to get the Alphonso mangoes from Ratnagiri. Is there any decent way I can get back on the NH4 from Ratnagiri?

Last edited by @Chaand : 13th April 2016 at 07:55.
Old 2nd May 2016, 12:53   #27
BHPian

So i did this Mumbai Tarkarli Mumbai last moth and my experience was as below:

Onward Journey:
Took the MPEW (Mumbai Pune Expressway) and then the NH4 ahead to Kolhapur. Lunch was at Sai International in Kolhapur. Turned into Kolhapur city and followed the route leading to Gaganbavda. Roads are narrow with lots of undulations and there are a lot of jaywalkers as well. Once out of Kolhapur, the Gaganbavda route was a delight to drive on. There were a few rough stretches but NO speed breakers at all en route. Stopped for a while at the top of the ghat for photo shoots. At places the turns are very steep and I could see some truck drivers struggling. The descent from Gaganbavda towards Kankavli route was being relaid and was patchy in places but bearable. NH17 to Tarkali was also good for the most part.

Return journey
Took NH17 all the way from Kankavli. Stopped at Ratnagiri for the Alphonso mangoes and and then at Chiplun for lunch. Smooth roads all throughout except for the rumbler strips at the begining and end of every village. These rumbler strips seriously rattle the car. Took the Pali Khopoli route and hit the MPEW at Khanapur and then back to Mumbai.

The onward journey took me 12 hours and the return 13 both with sedate driving.
@Chaand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 14:19   #28
Team-BHP Support

I'm starting on this trip tomorrow.

If you can recall; how long did Chandni chowk (Pune) to Tarkarli take, as that's roughly my journey.

[quote=@Chaand;3951106]Tarkarli-Mumbai, I plan to take the NH17 mainly to get the Alphonso mangoes from Ratnagiri. Is there any decent way I can get back on the NH4 from Ratnagiri?

Picking up Alphonso mangoes is on my agenda too

Any recommendations on where could be a good place?
Old 8th April 2017, 20:01   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Any recommendations on where could be a good place?
Mangoes would be available all across Malvan but the best ones can be taken at Ratnagiri near Hatkhamba which is bang on NH17. If you have the patience then you can enter into Ratnagiri market and get the mangoes from there.
Old 12th April 2017, 13:23   #30
Team-BHP Support

Completed this trip this past weekend.

Started from Chandni chowk at 6.30am after a quick meet with BHPians and was about 25kms before Kolhapur at 9.10 for breakfast.

We then got on SH66 (about 10kms before Kolhapur, but drove through Kolhapur) and went through Gaganbawda - Kankawli, reaching Tarkarli at 1.45pm.

So, roughly 7 hours drive time with a half n hour break and a combined half an hour break (restroom, fuel and train passage) in between. It being Sunday, there was barely any traffic all through but SH66 is undivided single lane highway so traffic can quite slow you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'm starting on this trip tomorrow.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 12th April 2017 at 13:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks