Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2011, 01:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Automatic below 16 lakhs

Guys i just checked the skoda website. Looks like they've added a new color option for the skoda (rosso brunello) and have also changed the alloys on the elegance version (looks nice!!!). They havent mentioned anything about the changes in each trim level. Hope they will load the ambiente or elegance version with some much needed features like steering wheel audio controls, usb port, etc. Finger crossed !!
Old 18th June 2011, 08:50   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Guys i just checked the skoda website. Looks like they've added a new color option for the skoda (rosso brunello) and have also changed the alloys on the elegance version (looks nice!!!). They havent mentioned anything about the changes in each trim level. Hope they will load the ambiente or elegance version with some much needed features like steering wheel audio controls, usb port, etc. Finger crossed !!
It looks like the website is still getting updated. The ‘Features’ page is still not up. I am interested to see the updates on this sheet – to see what else is missing on the Ambiente trim

Personally I feel the Rosso Brunelo looks better on the Laura, than on the Superb. And it looks like the Arctic Breeze shade is history now!
Old 18th June 2011, 09:04   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Does 30 Kms/day justifies buying a diesel vehicle? I agree it feels good to pay less each time you get your car filled but it will take you 4-5 years to JUST even out the cost. Also with the growing concern about more and more diesel cars being sold and adding to the govt's debt , my gut feeling says the govt is going to do something about the diesel prices pretty soon.

Having said that since you are in the market do once go and TD the new Altis 7 speed AT box. From the reviews it sounds very good.
Old 18th June 2011, 10:29   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Does 30 Kms/day justifies buying a diesel vehicle? I agree it feels good to pay less each time you get your car filled but it will take you 4-5 years to JUST even out the cost. Also with the growing concern about more and more diesel cars being sold and adding to the govt's debt , my gut feeling says the govt is going to do something about the diesel prices pretty soon.

Having said that since you are in the market do once go and TD the new Altis 7 speed AT box. From the reviews it sounds very good.
I know 30km /day is quite less but the price difference of 28rs per litre is insane and i'd save a ridiculous amount of money over 5 yrs by going for the diesel. It makes even more sense as the automatic versions of the civic, laura, corolla, cruze, fluence are all priced closed to each other. Now with the diesel automatics offering the 4yr / 1lakh km warranty you do feel quite re-assured.
But i have also heard great things about the 7speed cvt autobox of the altis and will definitely TD it.
Old 18th June 2011, 11:32   #20
BHPian

Does the Cruz A/T not sound good to you? It should be under 16L OTR and the engine is a gem along with the killer looks. The new Altis A/T would be an option but sadly its petrol. No A/T in the diesel! Also, after driving the City, the Altis D would be way too underpowered.

For 30 km daily usage, you may want to reconsider a petrol car.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 18th June 2011 at 11:33.
Old 18th June 2011, 11:52   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know 30km /day is quite less but the price difference of 28rs per litre is insane and i'd save a ridiculous amount of money over 5 yrs by going for the diesel. It makes even more sense as the automatic versions of the civic, laura, corolla, cruze, fluence are all priced closed to each other. Now with the diesel automatics offering the 4yr / 1lakh km warranty you do feel quite re-assured.
But i have also heard great things about the 7speed cvt autobox of the altis and will definitely TD it.
I just saw the prices of Altis petrol AT and Cruze diesel AT. I was really shocked. Altis petrol AT is 14.7L ex-showroom and Cruze AT is 14.4L Ex-showroom.
Surely Cruze makes much more sense then. Jetta and Laura will be around 18-19L OTR. You can also consider buying the current Jetta if you are comfortable with the current model. With the new model coming up I am sure VW will give some discounts on the current one.
Old 19th June 2011, 15:48   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm not a big fan of the Cruze AT. While the engine is a stonker, the gearbox is an absolute DUD. Slow to respond, saps the engine of power and even the ratios aren't well suited to the engine. In comparison, the Laura DSG completely blows it away, be it performance, refinement, gearbox tech and response times. Unfortunate that the Laura also comes with typical Skoda headaches (patchy reliability, poor after-sales).

You have a 1 year old City that you are happy with, save for the manual transmission. Some sensible options:

- You stand to lose a lot while selling it, especially keeping in mind the recent pricecuts from Honda. If you're going to take a depreciation hit on the sale, make sure you laterally upgrade, and save on depreciation via a used purchase. The ideal lateral upgrade from an MT City would be an AT Civic or Altis. Plentiful options between 7 - 9 lakhs.

- Keep the City and buy an AT hatchback. Something like the i10 for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
If you considering used cars, you'll get a E280 CDI at your price range. Cracker of a car.
And a 6 figure repair bill!! The car is unnecessarily complex and a nightmare to fix when things go wrong. Buy used modern Mercs at your own peril.

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2011 at 15:49.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 19:48   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

And a 6 figure repair bill!! The car is unnecessarily complex and a nightmare to fix when things go wrong. Buy used modern Mercs at your own peril.
But the problem is there will be no E280 cdi under 17-18l at least in Mumbai. If there is it will have run more than a lac kms.
Old 20th June 2011, 10:12   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm not a big fan of the Cruze AT. While the engine is a stonker, the gearbox is an absolute DUD. Slow to respond, saps the engine of power and even the ratios aren't well suited to the engine. In comparison, the Laura DSG completely blows it away, be it performance, refinement, gearbox tech and response times. Unfortunate that the Laura also comes with typical Skoda headaches (patchy reliability, poor after-sales).

You have a 1 year old City that you are happy with, save for the manual transmission. Some sensible options:

- You stand to lose a lot while selling it, especially keeping in mind the recent pricecuts from Honda. If you're going to take a depreciation hit on the sale, make sure you laterally upgrade, and save on depreciation via a used purchase. The ideal lateral upgrade from an MT City would be an AT Civic or Altis. Plentiful options between 7 - 9 lakhs.

- Keep the City and buy an AT hatchback. Something like the i10 for instance.

Thanks GTO.

You are absolutely spot on about laura DSG. I test drove it yesterday and absolutely fell in love. Whats not to love in the car. Is it the same engine that powers Audi A4 TDI?

Yes by selling the city i would be losing a lot. So my dad decided to keep it and we have decided to sell his 2001 honda accord automatic (or exchange it in if im offered a decent price)

I most probably will go and book the laura dsg sometime this week . Probably will go for the cappucino beige colour. Subtle, classy and easy to maintain. Are the prices expected to go up soon due to increase in customs duty or something?
Old 20th June 2011, 11:25   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I most probably will go and book the laura dsg sometime this week . Probably will go for the cappucino beige colour. Subtle, classy and easy to maintain. Are the prices expected to go up soon due to increase in customs duty or something?
Congratulations vinj! That’s pretty fast decision making. Do post an ownership thread once you’re done with the purchase and initial phase of get-to-know-each-other experience
Old 20th June 2011, 23:42   #26
BHPian

Thank you all for your input. Booked the skoda laura dsg elegance (white colour) today !!
Will start an ownership thread with pics soon!
Thanks again guys
Old 21st June 2011, 13:00   #27
BHPian

congrats on choosing a great car, could you pls confirm are they offering any additional discounts or free insurance? do look out for the new color thats been launched in the Superb, dunno if its being offered for the Laura though, ireckon its a greyish blue as they also have a royal blue..
Old 21st June 2011, 14:32   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for your input. Booked the skoda laura dsg elegance (white colour) today !!
Will start an ownership thread with pics soon!
Thanks again guys
Congrats vinj14, i am sure you are not going to be disappointed! Happy motoring.
Old 25th June 2011, 22:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
congrats on choosing a great car, could you pls confirm are they offering any additional discounts or free insurance? do look out for the new color thats been launched in the Superb, dunno if its being offered for the Laura though, ireckon its a greyish blue as they also have a royal blue..
Thanks i actually changed the colour to cappuccino beige. They have removed the arctic breeze colour and are going to replace it with a darker shade of blue (not sure when this colour is going to be launched though) They offer rosso brunello only in the L&K version.
Old 26th June 2011, 00:47   #30
BHPian

Congrats Vinj on your quick decision and purchase. When are you getting the delivery? Also, please do tell us about your booking experience. BTW, if you don't mind where are you located? Me too had a TD of Laura last week, great to drive. I was driving an AT for the first time and had a mistake by abrupt braking. My both legs were on the break pedal in an instance when I had to do abrupt braking . Fortunately, there were no vehicles behind me (I took off last from the previous signal), from there took care enough not to repeat that. Driving was really good, space not that good in my opinion and not that interested with the rear seat & interiors when I compare it with the money that I have to shell out. Almost kicked out from my list. Kindly do post your booking/ taking delivery & initial ownership experiences. This will definitely help me in coming to a conclusion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks