Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2011, 11:23   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Replacement for the Fiesta TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
lambo; I might have missed the bus here and neither do I intend to knock you off your thought process, you cannot go wrong with the cars that you have short listed.

But have you thought of Pete box on the Cruze, will it get the turbo lag rectified? Ask the experts here. Why even compromise with AT. If so, you have winner there, for half the cost. Then you have the options of mods on suspension, body kit, ICE, and still be left with a lot of money. Or what the heck change the turbo if need be. If you are worried about warranty, there are quiet a few 2010 cars in the market place.
Changing the turbo and all would compromise the reliability, and that is something I am not looking at, at all.
While I haven't test driven the Cruze, I plan to test drive the A/T variant soon. As i recently realized while driving the Fiesta in the rains recently, is that during traffic, an A/T is a lot more convenient. Will probably go for a Test Drive soon.
From the moment I started this search, I have realized that A/T and Diesel are also in the list of requirements. However, if the car is exceptionally good, we can overlook the A/T part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Well, it’s sibling rivalry then .
If you have liked the current Jetta, its quite possible that you will like the new one as well. According to some of the international reviews, the new car is indeed a step forward from the current Jetta.

Just for reference, here is one review which I came across. The write-up is nothing much, but pictures are drool-worthy. And they have the specs of the 2.0 TDI CR
Volkswagen Jetta 1.2 TSI (M) 2011, Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI (A) 2011 - Review & Road Test - Oneshift.com

Also, in a few months’ time, you may be able to check out the Laura RS as well.
Thanks! Been staring at the pics ever since.
The Laura vRS is out, as I fear that it might be too expensive to drive everyday, as I still don't know my daily running. However, closer to the booking date, I should have a better idea.
Also, I wasn't impressed with some parts in the Laura's interior.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:32   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

So I have been sitting and contemplating the decision for the Passat, and the more I think about it, I am having a hard time convincing myself to get it. Main reasons being that it is not what I want in a self driven primarily city car. It has the performance, but that aside, what else does it have going for it?
It is quite large, and way over my budget as well. So we are back to square one, and keeping in mind the budget of 20L, these are the criteria:
- Diesel preferable
- Should handle the occasional long drive
- Rear seat needs to have some space for occasional use when with friends, or when going on long drives.
- Should be compact enough for the city
- And most importantly, it has to be fun to drive!!!
- AT/MT gears can be handled. Even though I want an A/T for convenience sakes, I haven't encountered that bad traffic everyday where I come back with my legs killing me. In fact, till date, that has happened only once whilst driving a 2001 Honda Accord M/T for 50km in peak traffic.

Safety is not an issue, as the cars I am looking at need to come with ABS and Airbags.

So what options are there?

Here's what I feel should make the cut:
- White figo TDCi Titanium with fogs, leather seats, 15" Alloys and a good ICE + Tints
- Red VW Polo 1.6 High line with leather, alloys, ICE + tints
- VW Jetta 2.0 DSG New
- VW Jetta 2.0 M/T existing

Out of these, to drive I loved the current Jetta the most. There was nil turbo-lag, a sprightly engine, great handling, good interiors. It is just that a new one is around the corner that is making me wait.

The Cruze was ruled out because the backseat is a joke! The Figo doesn't inspire much confidence with reports of the engines randomly shutting down when down downshifting. However, that aside, it seems to make a lot of sense.
What other options are there?
Old 5th July 2011, 14:57   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
So I have been sitting and contemplating the decision for the Passat, and the more I think about it, I am having a hard time convincing myself to get it. Main reasons being that it is not what I want in a self driven primarily city car. It has the performance, but that aside, what else does it have going for it?
It is quite large, and way over my budget as well. So we are back to square one
I had a feeling that, this is going to happen. Intuitions at work

Quote:
Keeping in mind the budget of 20L, these are the criteria:
- Diesel preferable
- Should handle the occasional long drive
- Rear seat needs to have some space for occasional use when with friends, or when going on long drives.
- Should be compact enough for the city
- And most importantly, it has to be fun to drive!!!
- AT/MT gears can be handled. Even though I want an A/T for convenience sakes, I haven't encountered that bad traffic everyday where I come back with my legs killing me. In fact, till date, that has happened only once whilst driving a 2001 Honda Accord M/T for 50km in peak traffic.

Safety is not an issue, as the cars I am looking at need to come with ABS and Airbags.

So what options are there?

- White figo TDCi Titanium with fogs, leather seats, 15" Alloys and a good ICE + Tints
- VW Jetta 2.0 DSG New

With the parameters mentioned, here is how I will re-work the list – just to add to the confusion
  1. New Jetta – If you can wait, this is the best option IMO.
  2. New Fiesta Titanium (Petrol/Diesel) – Test drive yourself and see if that fits your requirement (I feel, that’s a much better option than the Figo)
  3. Vento TDI – If you have Polo in the list, why not the Vento?
Additional notes:
  • I will suggest to cut-off the existing Jetta from the list. Especially when seen side by side with the new Jetta, the car does not look young anymore.
  • If Polo 1.6 has to be in the list, give a thought about the Fabia 1.6 as well. I feel the new Fabia is more practical than the Polo
  • I would have suggested the Jazz, but the 1.2 may not really satisfy the 2nd parameter in your requirement
  • Yeti maybe another option for a TD
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 15:19   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- VW Jetta 2.0 DSG New

The Figo doesn't inspire much confidence with reports of the engines randomly shutting down when down downshifting. However, that aside, it seems to make a lot of sense.
I would advise you against going in for the Figo. Why? You'll loose your peace of mind comparing your old Fiesta TDCI with the new Figo TDCi.

Cost cutting differences between the 2 cars is glaring. I own a Fiesta 1.6 P and drive my friends Fiesta TDCi and Figo TDCi a lot (City and highway). I just can't stop comparing the NVH, crazy AC compressor switching on at signals shaking the car, avg gearshift etc.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 15:20   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I have been sitting and contemplating the decision for the Passat, and the more I think about it, I am having a hard time convincing myself to get it.
LOL, it is so difficult isn't it! Each time you think you've finally made the decision, your practical self brings you down to the ground!

I can relate to that with what I've been doing myself for the past one year!
suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 15:32   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Cruze was ruled out because the backseat is a joke!
True.

I spend almost negligible time in the back seat myself, and ~70% of the time it's just me or wife & I in the car. So the back seat was never of great concern to me. Yet the cramped rear seat on the Cruze (along with the sloping roof-line that contributes to very little headroom) and constant fouling of the knee against the center console were two *minor* reasons why I overlooked the Cruze in favour of the Civic.

It seems like you've completely ruled out the Laura as well.

Quote:
[*]I would have suggested the Jazz, but the 1.2 may not really satisfy the 2nd parameter in your requirement
I don't see an issue with that. Yes, it may not cruise at 140-160 kmph comfortably all day, but it's still a more than decent car to go out in on the occasional long drive. The bigger issue could be handling (tall-boyish design) and the arguably quirky looks/styling which aren't to everyone's taste.

Even I think it's worth waiting for the new Jetta before making the final decision. How are the VW dealers in Mumbai? The only one (at least when I was on the lookout for my new car last year) in Hyderabad is no great shakes, unfortunately. :(

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 20:36   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
True.

I spend almost negligible time in the back seat myself, and ~70% of the time it's just me or wife & I in the car. So the back seat was never of great concern to me. Yet the cramped rear seat on the Cruze (along with the sloping roof-line that contributes to very little headroom) and constant fouling of the knee against the center console were two *minor* reasons why I overlooked the Cruze in favour of the Civic.

It seems like you've completely ruled out the Laura as well.

I don't see an issue with that. Yes, it may not cruise at 140-160 kmph comfortably all day, but it's still a more than decent car to go out in on the occasional long drive. The bigger issue could be handling (tall-boyish design) and the arguably quirky looks/styling which aren't to everyone's taste.

Even I think it's worth waiting for the new Jetta before making the final decision. How are the VW dealers in Mumbai? The only one (at least when I was on the lookout for my new car last year) in Hyderabad is no great shakes, unfortunately. :(

Regards,
spadix
Hey spadix,

Thanks for the reply! The Jazz is in, and I shall be giving the Laura one more drive before making a final call.
Until now, the list looks like:
- Jetta
- Jazz
- Laura
- Fiesta 1.5 TDCi

As in your case, the backseat will be rarely used. However, with the Cruze, the rarely would turn out to be never, and long drives with friends would be impractical.
If we get the Jazz, it will be used only as a household city run around, by guests and my dog. It would be lucky to see speeds above 60!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
LOL, it is so difficult isn't it! Each time you think you've finally made the decision, your practical self brings you down to the ground!

I can relate to that with what I've been doing myself for the past one year!
It is!! Wish I had another year or two to make up my mind. Will miss the fiesta a lot! A great companion on the crowded roads!
As of now, it looks to be a fight between the Jetta and the Jazz. VB-San brought up the Jazz, and it looks to be a serious contender. Also, I shall be test driving the Laura once again to make sure that the TD vehicle was not a badly abused one as akshay1234 brought it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I would advise you against going in for the Figo. Why? You'll loose your peace of mind comparing your old Fiesta TDCI with the new Figo TDCi.

Cost cutting differences between the 2 cars is glaring. I own a Fiesta 1.6 P and drive my friends Fiesta TDCi and Figo TDCi a lot (City and highway). I just can't stop comparing the NVH, crazy AC compressor switching on at signals shaking the car, avg gearshift etc.
Interesting. Thanks for the input Kiku! So this rules out the Figo. Either ways was not very keen on the car, but threw it in because it met all my requirements.

Quote:
I had a feeling that, this is going to happen. Intuitions at work

With the parameters mentioned, here is how I will re-work the list – just to add to the confusion
  1. New Jetta – If you can wait, this is the best option IMO.
  2. New Fiesta Titanium (Petrol/Diesel) – Test drive yourself and see if that fits your requirement (I feel, that’s a much better option than the Figo)
  3. Vento TDI – If you have Polo in the list, why not the Vento?
Additional notes:
  • I will suggest to cut-off the existing Jetta from the list. Especially when seen side by side with the new Jetta, the car does not look young anymore.
  • If Polo 1.6 has to be in the list, give a thought about the Fabia 1.6 as well. I feel the new Fabia is more practical than the Polo
  • I would have suggested the Jazz, but the 1.2 may not really satisfy the 2nd parameter in your requirement
  • Yeti maybe another option for a TD
Thanks!
Call it buyer's remorse, but I just don't know if the Passat makes sense at this stage of my life, where I am still struggling to find a job. This coupled with the slightly unnerving ride quality really makes me think.
As of now, the new Jetta is on top. However, I am still finding it hard to digest the new Fiesta's look. Maybe things will change once I actually see the car in person.
The Jazz was one car I had completely discounted, and it makes it's way back into my shortlist. However, if we were to get the Jazz, it would be used at home to ferry guests, pets, and the random chores due to its immense practicality. I would then switch over to the Octavia Combi which has been doing this job marvelously so far. Since the running would be low (the Octavia has barely done 33KKm in the almost 4 years we have had it, and that too is thanks to the long outstation trips its been used on).
The only thing that needs to be figured out is if it can seat a German Shepard in comfort.
The Polo 1.6 is dropped, was just contemplating the superb looks, and a 100+ bhp engine and the Vento had too much body roll when I drove my friends car. Loved the engine though!!
Old 5th July 2011, 20:54   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only thing that needs to be figured out is if it can seat a German Shepard in comfort.
I can visualize a Jazz saying this to you: "Just one big guy?! You gotta be kiddin' me. Gimme a whole family of 'em Shepherds, I say!"

Step into one. The amount of space inside will just blow you away.

Quote:
The Polo 1.6 is dropped, was just contemplating the superb looks, and a 100+ hp engine
FWIW the Jazz's 1.2l iVTEC makes 90 horses. Power won't be an issue. I'm not too sure of the handling though.

Regards,
spadix
Old 5th July 2011, 21:57   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jazz is out. Dad doesn't want a petrol, period.
So we only have diesel options now.
Jetta is on the top of the list, however, also looking at the feasibility of keeping the fiesta, and getting two cars for office use as the Lancer is also breaking apart. While one of them is already decided by the Swift Dzire, the other is the problem. We had initially planned on keeping the Fiesta for office use, but if all else fails, guess we shall get a Figo for office use.
Old 5th July 2011, 22:03   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Until now, the list looks like:
- Jetta
- Jazz
- Laura
- Fiesta 1.5 TDCi

As of now, it looks to be a fight between the Jetta and the Jazz. VB-San brought up the Jazz, and it looks to be a serious contender. Also, I shall be test driving the Laura once again to make sure that the TD vehicle was not a badly abused one as akshay1234 brought it up.

Call it buyer's remorse, but I just don't know if the Passat makes sense at this stage of my life, where I am still struggling to find a job. This coupled with the slightly unnerving ride quality really makes me think.

As of now, the new Jetta is on top. However, I am still finding it hard to digest the new Fiesta's look. Maybe things will change once I actually see the car in person.
Ah, the list is getting more definite now, and a good one too.

Agree on Passat. Maybe you can look at the next generation Passat, once you are more settled

You're right on the New Fiesta. It does bring extreme opinions. For me, the car is flamboyant, but with a tint of elegance. So it’s a good decision to wait and see the car before taking a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Step into one. The amount of space inside will just blow you away.

FWIW the Jazz's 1.2l iVTEC makes 90 horses. Power won't be an issue. I'm not too sure of the handling though.
Totally agree. Its a good car with decent handling. And, this is one Japanese which gives a bit of that Euro-type build quality/feel.
Old 5th July 2011, 22:10   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, the list is getting more definite now, and a good one too.

Agree on Passat. Maybe you can look at the next generation Passat, once you are more settled

You're right on the New Fiesta. It does bring extreme opinions. For me, the car is flamboyant, but with a tint of elegance. So it’s a good decision to wait and see the car before taking a call.

Totally agree. Its a good car with decent handling. And, this is one Japanese which gives a bit of that Euro-type build quality/feel.
Once I am settled, I hope to be looking at something better than the Passat

However, the list remains the same, just with the removal of the Jazz. The Jetta is a very strong contender. Hope it doesn't disappoint.
Old 5th July 2011, 23:41   #72
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Hey Lamborghini. The upcoming Jetta seems to be your best bet. Looks like the manual transmission will be offered with 140bhp on tap, here's a link - Speculation - New Volkswagen Jetta diesel variants
Btw, did you consider the Renault Fluence ?? The diesel variant is too basic. The car isn't the most attractive but its not all that bad either. I'm yet to spot a Renault dealership in Mumbai so far.
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 06:47   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Once I am settled, I hope to be looking at something better than the Passat
Well, that’s true. By then, the options will be 2-3 times better than what we have now
Anyway, I will keep a tab on how this (purchase decision) evolve in a couple of months. Happy shopping!
Old 6th July 2011, 08:52   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Well, that’s true. By then, the options will be 2-3 times better than what we have now
Anyway, I will keep a tab on how this (purchase decision) evolve in a couple of months. Happy shopping!
Hi Biju,

Hope you remember me. I too live in Singapore. I am in the process of
deciding on a C-segment sedan. Would like to get your comments on few issues.

Since i am a newbie I can't PM also. If possible please PM me with your contact details here in Sg.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 6th July 2011, 17:55   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Hey Lamborghini. The upcoming Jetta seems to be your best bet. Looks like the manual transmission will be offered with 140bhp on tap, here's a link - Speculation - New Volkswagen Jetta diesel variants
Btw, did you consider the Renault Fluence ?? The diesel variant is too basic. The car isn't the most attractive but its not all that bad either. I'm yet to spot a Renault dealership in Mumbai so far.
Thanks for the link!
Not considering the Fleunce at all mainly due to the basic nature of the car. It is simply not VFM!

Quote:
True!
Well, with the removal of the Jazz, I have even begun looking at the Vento 1.6 TDi quite seriously. While it won't have an A/T gearbox as in the Jetta, it offers a nice compact city car, which is well built, but not very posh (by bombay automobile standards). With me looking for jobs and the like, many friends have told me to ba careful about the car I get as it could be portray incorrect impressions about me, and my work ethic.
After driving the fiesta today, for what might be one of the last rides ever if not the last, I realized what a boon the compact dimensions actually, and is possibly the only reason for me even looking at the Vento and New Fiesta. The superb visibility, and minimal turbo-lag only help. To be honest, the one car the house lacks is a rough, compact sedan. The Fiesta fit the bill perfectly, but I don't know if the Jetta would. Only a test drive will tell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks