Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2006, 14:54   #31
BHPian

VXi with wider rubber.......

hey,

i think u should go for the Vxi. the baleno is a good car for its price but it does require wider rubber as the puny ones which maruti provides tends to lock up under heavy braking making it risky. so whenever u plan to get one be sure to upgrade your tires and the earlier u do it, the better resale rate u get for the old ones.

cheez
Old 30th March 2006, 14:26   #32

The Baleno puzzle

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to buy a Baleno - Lxi, my first car. I tried to some research on it. However, there are still a few things that I'm not really clear about and need your opinion.

I've test driven a Baleno Vxi, and managed to touch 120-130. Even at this speed, the handling was really impressive. I do plan to have small outings on the weekends and the roads here in hyd are pretty good. I guess, I'll be touching 100 quite frequently.

Now, the problem is, I've driven Vxi only, but I'm buying an Lxi. So, I really dunno if the difference in the tyres could really matter. Is it really very bad? I know this question has been asked earlier and replied too, but I couldn't make out much of the technical stuff. My very little driving experience didn't help either. So, please suggest to this "lay person".

Just in case you recommend a change, plz add u'r comments on the following as well.

1. Do I need to change the rim as well?
2. Alloy wheels/Normal wheels?
3. I'd prefer my speedometer & odometer to remain unaffected. (The Maruti showroom guys say, it doesn't get affected irrespective of what u do )
4. If I go for Vxi exchange, how much should I pay?
5. If I go for outside exchange, how shall I go about it? Find a tyre shop, drive straight to him and get it changed? Can any tyre dealer get it done or some specialization is needed?

Anything I missed out on it?

Awaiting u'r response.

Thanks,
Kanny
Old 30th March 2006, 14:35   #33
BHPian

Buy Vxi if cost is not a major concern.....you will love it.

Auto-AC is great, Defogger is useful, Seat height adjuster is great if you are shorter than 5' 7"/5' 8".

For high speed driving all auto-gurus suggest you to go for alloys-tubeless R14, 185/60 profile tyres, the same ones that comes with Vxi.

The best part of Vxi is all these accessories will get covered by insurance.

B'cos of cost constraint if you want to buy Lxi and drive it fast beyond 80/90 kmph, YES upgrade to a 14" alloys, tubeless 185/60 profile tyres.

Dont exchange the tyres in maruti-showroom, they will charge u close to 30k......go to an authorized aura-alloy dealer he will charge you 14k for alloys (silmiar to vxi) and for tyres he will take back your lxi tyres and give u 185/60 profile ones for 4000 exchange price, it will cost u a total of 18 k instead of 30k which your maruti-dealer will charge.
Old 30th March 2006, 14:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
Buy Vxi if cost is not a major concern.....you will love it.

Auto-AC is great, Defogger is useful, Seat height adjuster is great if you are shorter than 5' 7"/5' 8".

For high speed driving all auto-gurus suggest you to go for alloys-tubeless R14, 185/60 profile tyres, the same ones that comes with Vxi.

The best part of Vxi is all these accessories will get covered by insurance.

B'cos of cost constraint if you want to buy Lxi and drive it fast beyond 80/90 kmph, YES upgrade to a 14" alloys, tubeless 185/60 profile tyres.

Dont exchange the tyres in maruti-showroom, they will charge u close to 30k......go to an authorized aura-alloy dealer he will charge you 14k for alloys (silmiar to vxi) and for tyres he will take back your lxi tyres and give u 185/60 profile ones for 4000 exchange price, it will cost u a total of 18 k instead of 30k which your maruti-dealer will charge.
VXI comes with 185/65 tyres not 185/60.
Old 30th March 2006, 14:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion would be to pick up an Lxi. Pay for 14" 6J alloys, and get 195/60 R14 tubeless tyres. You could get Yokohama ES-100s. This combination is ideal for the occasional highway drive and daily use.

Regarding rates, the stock Lxi tyres should fetch you 6-8k off on the new ones.

NEVER buy any accessories from your dealer. If it's free, take it eyes closed. If you have to pay, make sure it's at an aftermarket shop.
Old 30th March 2006, 17:40   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanny
...and the roads here in hyd are pretty good...
(sigh) Lucky guy (also because you'll own a Baleno soon!)...
Old 30th March 2006, 17:50   #37
Team-BHP Support

Merging threads...............
Old 31st March 2006, 12:35   #38
BHPian

if u have the money, go for the VXi, cause CC aircon and height adjuster u cant get in the LXi. CC is very helpful as told by all the bhailogs here.
Old 29th April 2006, 22:37   #39

Need help on Baleno VXi

Hi,
This is a great forum. I just looked at the other threads in ‘What Car’ section. From what I got, I am convinced that I should buy Baleno VXi. So I initially thought I would open a separate thread. That was not to be!!
I am buying my first car & I live in Bangalore
I have 2 quotes (both just over 7lack OTR in Bangalore after ~65K discount) from Bimal & Pratham and I am not sure which one to go far. I know that several of members here have purchased Baleno recently. Please let me know if this is a good deal & your experience with one of these dealers.
My friend insisted that I consider NHC EXi/ZX. So we took a test drive and I was impressed with the car & drive. However NHC totally exceeds my budget (I actually stretched my budget to go to Baleno VXI instead of LXI). During my test drive I told the sales guys that I was also looking at Baleno. The NHC sales person was very confident that “Baleno will be definitely phased out in 2 months” and asked me to not consider it. Is this true?
Thanks
Old 30th April 2006, 09:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

They were rumours that the baleno will be phased out soon.
Why dont you consider the lxi instead of the vxi ??? You can get everything that the vxi has except the climate control at a much lower price....

Note from the support team: Thread merged.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th April 2006 at 10:48.
Old 30th April 2006, 11:32   #41
BHPian

even test drive the fiesta nice car to drive
Old 30th April 2006, 12:06   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guddihal
My friend insisted that I consider NHC EXi/ZX. So we took a test drive and I was impressed with the car & drive. However NHC totally exceeds my budget (I actually stretched my budget to go to Baleno VXI instead of LXI). During my test drive I told the sales guys that I was also looking at Baleno. The NHC sales person was very confident that “Baleno will be definitely phased out in 2 months” and asked me to not consider it. Is this true?
Thanks
Hey, u must be kidding "Baleno to be phased out in 2 months"

when i bought baleno last month, the maruti sales guy told baleno will be around for atleast 5 years......and the fact of the matter is maruti in its history has not phased out any model.

Car gurus whats your take on 'when baleno will be phased out'?

Last edited by venkatrx : 30th April 2006 at 12:09.
Old 30th April 2006, 13:11   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771
even test drive the fiesta nice car to drive
Fiesta is a good car also more fresh and new looking than Baleno however Baleno is a performance oriented car and Japanese cars are known to be trouble free for 10 - 15 years and even higher if taken proper care of. Fiesta may prove to be more costlier in the long run. Because Americans like to change their cars too often hence their cars are not built to last 10 - 15 years. He has already made up his mind to go for Lxi so I think this might make him (and the readers) more confused however if he is obsessed with looks then Fiesta is also good, but be prepared for higher maintenance costs and lesser life and more repairs and maintenance.

I once read somewhere written by an American that :-

Korean cars - Are OK value if you pick carefully, they are also the cheapest cars by far but you MUST PICK VERY CAREFULLY!

Japanese cars - have a better build quality, better warranties, will last longer, feel more sophisticated, more safer.

American - make cars that drive better than the Koreans when they are new, but break down and die sooner, have more recalls.

European - feel very sophisticated, heavy, luxurious even if they are not a luxury brand (i.e. VW Golf). Run well, but not light like the Japanese models, you'd better be loaded if you want to buy one
Old 30th April 2006, 14:36   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
...Car gurus whats your take on 'when baleno will be phased out'?...
Going by Baleno's current popularity, it will be phased out when Jayalalitha is...

If Jagdish Khattar phases out Baleno, his sacrifice will win him more votes than Sonia's act...
Old 30th April 2006, 20:47   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar
Going by Baleno's current popularity, it will be phased out when Jayalalitha is...

If Jagdish Khattar phases out Baleno, his sacrifice will win him more votes than Sonia's act...
MSP, do you think once the 'Swift-sedan' is launched in another 1 years time (or max 2 years) will Maruti be able 'swift-sedan' and baleno side by side?

now swift LXi and Vxi is 4.5 and 4.8 , baleno Lxi and Vxi is 6.1 and 7.0

probably swift-sedan Lxi and Vxi should be like 5.5 and 5.8 lets say......wont these prices be too close for baleno to co-exist?

MSP whats your take on this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks