Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2006, 17:46   #1
BHPian

Baleno Vxi or Lxi

Guys,

Need some help here.

I test drove Baleno Vxi last week and came back impressed. Although I have been a fan of Baleno quite some time, I was thinking mainly about Lxi.

The things I liked in Vxi

1. Driver seat Height Adjuster
2. Climate control AC
3. 14" Alloy wheels and tubeless tyres.
4. Rear defogger

My question is, Is it worth spending that extra money (More than a lac) on Vxi version or does it make sense to go for Lxi and fit 14" Alloy wheels and spoiler.

I am not sure of utility of Climate Control AC or Antenna or even Rear defogger in South Indian conditions (particularly Bangalore)

Let me know your thoughts..
Old 13th February 2006, 18:13   #2
BHPian

I was sailing in the same boat as you are. But I have made up my mind on the LXi. You can save a good 30-40K and have a VXi (well..except for the climate control, rear defogger and seat height adjust). At resale time, there isn't going to be much difference in the price of a VXi and LXi. Plus you can put a better MP3 player, better looking alloys ..etc. In all probability, will be getting the add-ons done at the dealer itself. Can catch his throat afterwards...and since you are giving him more business, he will probably treat you better. Further, if you can't put the dosh down in one shot, you can do the dressing up in stages to suit your pocket.
Old 13th February 2006, 18:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

I had the same dilemma. My comparison in another thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-ca...ghlight=baleno
Lookup post #40

Surprised that you mention the difference is > 1 L .. it's around 80K OTR.

I find the climate control very useful. Just set a temp and forget about it. You never need to adjust the controls since it maintains a constant temp.

True - rear defogger may be used very rarely.

I think the choice boils down to whether you prefer stock cars or like to modify them somewhat.

Last edited by shuvc : 13th February 2006 at 18:20.
Old 13th February 2006, 18:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Eve in bangalore, the Apr-June months are hot. and the traffic is pretty bad too..

It really depends on what you believe it true value...an aftermarket lookalike spoiler (dont expect the same finish though) will cost you alose to Rs 3k...(with paint). an Mp3 player will cost 13 k with speakers and the alloys/tyres will cost close to Rs 25-28 k in exchange depending on the design/tyres you choose.
I bought the Lxi...but In my case, I would have gone for the Vxi if climate control and alloys were available when I bought it.
Old 13th February 2006, 20:11   #5
BHPian

If you can live without a climate control and seat adjuster....go for Lxi. Changing ,to better than stock, tyres and alloys will be another 30K...so u will still save 70K.

Also climate control will not really be very helpfull if you dont have rear passengers most of the time. It will increase fuel consumption as the a/c compressor will not 'cut off' till the rear seats also reach the set temperature. in the manual mode the sensors are in the front so as soon as the front is sufficiently cool the a/c will switch to blower mode.

another 70K for the climate control will throw in a luxury touch and also convinience...so really depends on how much you want to spend.

I have a lxi and can tell you that to maintain temperature you have to keep fiddling with the controls.
Old 18th February 2006, 15:20   #6
BHPian

I have the old Vxi, without climate control, and the car is either too cold or too warm. As for the other things, I did not want sundry idiots to fiddle with my new car, and the diff in my case was negligible - about 40K more than the Lxi, so I went for it. Therefore, total all the added costs, and see if you have a considerate upgrade mechanic.
Old 19th February 2006, 11:41   #7
BHPian

The only reason you should go for VXi is for its climate control (CC). As filcord mentioned, Baleno's much touted A/C is also its big weakness. It cools so fast that during winter months adjusting the slider to get the right temp inside is a real pain. For the premium you pay for CC, you get a comfort level ahead by a generation. Go for VXi... you will not regret it.
Old 20th February 2006, 11:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritik123
Also climate control will not really be very helpfull if you dont have rear passengers most of the time. It will increase fuel consumption as the a/c compressor will not 'cut off' till the rear seats also reach the set temperature. in the manual mode the sensors are in the front so as soon as the front is sufficiently cool the a/c will switch to blower mode.
I went through the manual. The CC does not have any rear sensors. There's just 2 sensors. One on the CC panel, and a sunlight sensor on the right top corner of the dash (where you would have your tweeters).
So I'm not sure if the CC maintains the same temp throughout the car - not that it bothers me .. since I'm always in the drivers seat

Also keep in mind that the VXi has keyless entry/burglar alarm fitted. The LXi does not. So consider that in your cost case too.

Last edited by shuvc : 20th February 2006 at 11:31.
Old 20th February 2006, 12:42   #9
BHPian

thanks for your replies

I have almost made my decision for Vxi and am interacting with Pratham motors in Bangalore.
Couple of queries w.r.t Dealer and discounts now

1. Newspapers claim a gift cheque of 50000/-. I dont think this includes corporate discount with with I am assuming discounts will go up.. Am I correct in expecting a 60000+ discount?

2. What is the user experience in either of these dealerships . ?
a. Pratham Motors
b. Bimal Motors
I dont know much about RNS/Mandovi, Let me know if you have had experiences with them..
Old 20th February 2006, 12:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand
1. Newspapers claim a gift cheque of 50000/-. I dont think this includes corporate discount with with I am assuming discounts will go up.. Am I correct in expecting a 60000+ discount?
The dealer I bought mine from quotes:
50K MUL discount + 15K corporate + 5K dealer = 70K pre-nego discounts.
I got 80K (not including finance discount)
I think one can easily negotiate 80 to 90 K.
Make that 1 Lakh plus, if you consider finance discounts.

You can basically get the VXi at less than the ex-showroom price !
Old 20th February 2006, 13:56   #11
BHPian

Sai Service , Andheri Mumbai: Baleno VXI 7,08,000 OTR

Discounts: Registration, road tax and Insurance free (worth Rs 55,000)

IF you opt for Finance then additional discounts are:

Third year warranty Free, Rs 10,000 MGA

Offer valid till this month end.
Old 20th February 2006, 14:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Vxi isn't a bad option considering the decent size tyres provided by MUL...
14" is a must for the baleno beast...
Anyways whats the price of Lxi n Vxi offered in bangalore currently??
Old 20th February 2006, 16:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
Anyways whats the price of Lxi n Vxi offered in bangalore currently??
Log to MUL web site and select Baleno and then to Price, you will get prices for VXI and LXI .

Now MUL is offering free Insurance and free Registrtaion till this month end (nation wide, regardless of city and dealership), the Ex Show room price mentioned on the site is in fact your On Road Price.
Old 20th February 2006, 16:32   #14
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Are u sure the EX-Showroom price is the same as the OTR price? In Bangalore, the dealers are giving only 50K discount on the OTR price and its 45K more than the Ex-showroom price.
Old 20th February 2006, 16:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002?
Are u sure the EX-Showroom price is the same as the OTR price? In Bangalore, the dealers are giving only 50K discount on the OTR price and its 45K more than the Ex-showroom price.
They'll surely give more.

Lookup the site
http://www.marutiudyog.com/bp/sales.asp?ch=2&ct=3&sc=0
It's 50K on paper for Bangalore being given directly by MUL. Add to that corporate, finance and dealers own discount ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks