Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2006, 19:04   #1
BHPian

which car:corolla/Optra/elantra ? - Now bought

Hi,

Considering the above 3 models. Let me first explain what I am looking at. I am looking at the upper C/entry C+ segment. I did not consider Honda City VTec as the ground clearance is low for Bangalore and it scraped the first speed breaker I encountered. I do not like the sound even though the car may be protected. Ditto reason for not even looking at Octavia. Correct me if this is an incorrect impression.

Among the rest, Optra-1.6 looks good from all perspectives except for the brand, resale value, service support and not having stuff like Climate control, CD changer, ABS, airbags etc. The ride quality does appear to be good.

I did not like the low seating on the Elantra though the car might be very good.

I sort of liked Corolla, the H2 variant. But the problem is that there are so many negative reports all over, about its braking, handling, ride quality, expensive spares etc. that it sort of puts me off. Even the auto magazines rate it lower than Elantra and Cedia on ost parameters. Its so confusing that I get a feeling, let me be happy riding my Santro that served me so well from 1999 without any problems.

I could wait for the Civic but then knowing Honda, even that may have a low clearance.

Any views from existing owners ?
Old 12th March 2006, 19:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Optra would be the best buy. Good performance, luxury, looks and the cosmetics. Its a good refined car and very nice to drive.
Elantra would be very cheap to maintain and would very well keep up with the Optra, but definately not in terms of looks or luxury.

Overall...for downright performance, the Elantra..and for everytin elz, the Optra

And the Corolla....i suggest u drop it
Old 12th March 2006, 19:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Or you could wait for the 2007 Elantra... ..

Verna is round the corner... A lot of automobile action waiting in the wings!
Old 12th March 2006, 22:00   #4
BHPian

optra's brand image?
its chevrolet(gm). even if u consider its roots its daewoo. they made some really good/practical cars

moreover how is hyundai (korean) better/bigger brand than the american-korean co
Old 12th March 2006, 22:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Optra - luxurious interiors, very comfortable, good looking
Elantra - Value for money, easy maintenance...
Corolla - Highly priced but jap rules...
Old 13th March 2006, 00:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

did u had a look at the lancer cedia?

I heard it has the best FE in its segment. Power is pretty good too and the boot is cavernous. Interior for the elegance is excellent but sport certainly lacks leather upholstry. Aluminium and carbon finish interiors is a nice touch in sports though.

and going by the excellent product the old lancer was during 1998-1999 this car should be pretty good.

Dont expect corolla beating performance but then you are getting a fully loaded model cheaper than the base model corolla or octavia.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 13th March 2006 at 00:07.
Old 16th March 2006, 21:07   #7
BHPian

in choosing between corolla/optra/elantra i will prefer corolla as its the ultimate luxurious car. apart from being expensive it has got everything to offer... i suggest you to not to buy elantra.. my uncle bought it and within a month its gear box broke down.. but on the other hand it got replaced free of cost
Old 16th March 2006, 21:32   #8
BHPian

just go for a test drive of optra royale..
it has everything
- fe (around 10)
- comfort (comparable to higher end mercs)
- looks (looks stunning). corrola looks unproportional IMHO
- features (sunroof, power mirrors, excellent music system ..etc)
- cheapest among octavia, corolla
- looong service holidays (i think for 3+ years)

personally i think optra is a steal. if the same car was manufactured by toyota it would have been sold for 14-16laks

the bad parts
- gear box (will get better with usage)
Old 16th March 2006, 22:43   #9
BHPian

Drop Corolla, don't think 2wice abt it. Frankly i don't even like the shape of the corolla. It looks a bit too odd to me. try the Optra.. Cedia should be good, why don't u try that.......
Old 17th March 2006, 08:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

axually a powerful car with the best FE in its segment with sporty looks makes a pretty good competiter. Boot is the biggest after the skoda naturally
Old 17th March 2006, 09:26   #11
BHPian

dude if its performance..easy maintainence..value for money and happiness!!..go for the elantra...i have one myself and i got the seat height increased as even i was not happy with the low seating..but overall a very good car..has not given me an problems!..yet..
Old 17th March 2006, 14:02   #12

Nitrous, Interesting to hear this. Can the auth. service station change the elantra Back seat height. What +ve (or 1ve ) change has this brought to the ride quality or looks.

And what was the cost. Thanks
Old 17th March 2006, 14:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango
Drop Corolla, don't think 2wice abt it. Frankly i don't even like the shape of the corolla. It looks a bit too odd to me. try the Optra.. Cedia should be good, why don't u try that.......
cedia has got sporty looks not a luxurious look.. people who wants luxurious feel should not opt for cedia...
Old 18th March 2006, 23:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr21

personally i think optra is a steal. if the same car was manufactured by toyota it would have been sold for 14-16laks
they'll probably have a better engine in it ... but yes...very true ... you do pay quite a premium for the 'best seller corolla' ... its expensive alright

i firmly believe 'There's always something better than a best seller'.
Old 18th March 2006, 23:35   #15
BHPian

elantra is kind of underrated ... though IMHO , considering aesthetics , it i the worst of the 3 cars ... very plain looks

but the overall package can prove to very good considering the price cuts recently announced

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks