Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 12:39   #46
BHPian

Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
After the facelift in '09 Laura came with PD engines for some time. Ambiente and Elegance had the 105 hp, 250nm version, while the L&K variant had the 140hp 320nm PD version shared with Passat and Superb.
Does this mean that a '08 Laura L&K PD will also have the 140hp engine? Or is that something they did only right before the facelift in 2009?

I'm considering a '08 L&K with only 24k on the odo. I haven't yet seen the owner's manual or driven it, but if it's the 140hp I'm getting it for sure!

Of course, the 105hp PD is actually not a slowpoke either! I know the CR is better, but then 24k is nothing, and 2008 means I can get the PD for at least 3-4 lacs less than a used ~2010 CR!
Old 1st May 2013, 13:44   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post

Does this mean that a '08 Laura L&K PD will also have the 140hp engine? Or is that something they did only right before the facelift in 2009?
The 2008 L&K will have a 105 PD engine.
BTW, what is the price being quoted?
Old 1st May 2013, 14:48   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I'm considering a '08 L&K with only 24k on the odo. I haven't yet seen the owner's manual or driven it, but if it's the 140hp I'm getting it for sure!

Of course, the 105hp PD is actually not a slowpoke either! I know the CR is better, but then 24k is nothing, and 2008 means I can get the PD for at least 3-4 lacs less than a used ~2010 CR!
Before the facelift, Laura had only 105hp PD engine option. Though, performance was adequate, high NVH spoiled the game.
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:39   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
The 2008 L&K will have a 105 PD engine.
BTW, what is the price being quoted?
This may sound irregular, but there's no quoted price as such. This car belongs to someone in the family who are based out of delhi but have a secondary home here for business purposes, hence keep cars here for visits. They're planning to rid themselves of the delhi house in a few months - which means they'll let go of the Laura. Sadly, their other cars will move with them.

I know it's very well maintained and meets our needs for a diesel family sedan perfectly (and as dad's daily drive) - so I'm more or less sold. Also, 24k kms is nothing! The price should be around 6 lakhs as per current trends. We'll decide on it much later.
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:20   #50
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know it's very well maintained and meets our needs for a diesel family sedan perfectly (and as dad's daily drive) - so I'm more or less sold. Also, 24k kms is nothing! The price should be around 6 lakhs as per current trends. We'll decide on it much later.
For 2008 Laura with 24k kms - 7L is close to the real price rather than 6L. Especially if it is an L&K ( Remove 75k (for that age vehicle) if not an L&K)
Old 3rd May 2013, 16:09   #51
BHPian

ACM - I dont know about Mumbai but around NCR 6L is a fair price for a 2008 Laura L&K. The low miles on the car however does mean that it deserves a bit of a premium. For comparison sake I am on the verge of picking up a Oct 2007 L&K MT with full service history for 4.5L. The car has done 90k kms and is in excellent mechanical condition. Only thing it requires is front suspension work and two new tyres. Around 30-35k of expenses so it will cost me under 5L for sure. What I hear is that the new Laura (Octavia) has already led to some erosion in resale value for the previous gen Lauras.
Old 4th May 2013, 10:11   #52
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Actually you are right Delhi prices should be lower than for Mumbai as the cars themselves cost lower due to lower taxes while similarly Bangalore prices would be even higher.

That sounds like a good deal you have going there.
Old 28th June 2013, 08:05   #53
BHPian

Continuing with the topic, how much do you think is a fair price for 2006 Laura L&K MT in Bangalore? I just saw a car which is well maintained with service records till last year. However, the clutch seems to have given away. And also there is a Airbag disabled warning. The owner says he will replace the full clutch assembly before delivery and the airbag warning has probably occurred due to some wiring while installing lcd screens on the head rests. It is 68000 kms run. Is 6.5 L a good price?

Also, how do I check the condition / brand of the AC condenser? Are there any indications that help me figure out turbo issues? I have already checked the suspension and clutch. Is there anything else that I am missing?
Old 28th June 2013, 10:21   #54
BHPian

Sorry evoque for barging in between your question. I too am in the process of making a deal. This is about a 2011 Jan TSi Ambiente, 27K Km done. The seller is asking 11 L. How good is to go ahead on a used TSi? I have my worries about skoda service but TSi is what making my heart go behind this. At this age the car has only 1.5 years more on extended warranty. What are the areas of concern I should worry about this car for the next 50K Kms? The points mentioned by evoque are applicable in this case as well? Like, the AC condenser / turbo?

And what would be a fair price I should quote? By the way, though I am yet to see the car, seller says its in mint condition with stanley leather seats.

Another question which is not relevant to this topic. The car in question is still in finance. Can I take over the financing and continue paying the same EMI with same interest rate? Or I need to get a new financing with a bank for used car with a higher interest?
Old 28th June 2013, 10:54   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanish View Post
Sorry evoque for barging in between your question. I too am in the process of making a deal. This is about a 2011 Jan TSi Ambiente, 27K Km done. The seller is asking 11 L. How good is to go ahead on a used TSi? I have my worries about skoda service but TSi is what making my heart go behind this. At this age the car has only 1.5 years more on extended warranty. What are the areas of concern I should worry about this car for the next 50K Kms? The points mentioned by evoque are applicable in this case as well? Like, the AC condenser / turbo?

And what would be a fair price I should quote? By the way, though I am yet to see the car, seller says its in mint condition with stanley leather seats.

Another question which is not relevant to this topic. The car in question is still in finance. Can I take over the financing and continue paying the same EMI with same interest rate? Or I need to get a new financing with a bank for used car with a higher interest?
11L seems to be a bit high. Ideally a Jan 2011 model should be had for about 9L considering the high prices in Bangalore and the fact that the car went at highly discounted prices recently. Discounts of upto 2L were available on the Ex showroom prices. I don't think new TSIs are available with dealers right now as production is stopped. If the owner has bought the car in Jan 2011, this is sure to be a 2010 model. Do a VIN analysis and that should tell which month and year the car was manufactured in. You can probably use this point in your negotiations. But used TSIs are rare cars and that makes it hard to fix a price on them. Someone who is on the lookout for one will be ready to pay a slightly higher price.

Skoda service in Bangalore should not be a cause for worry. I have a TSI myself and have visited the service centre for a total of 3 times in my two years and 38k kms of ownership for regular service only. I have not faced any warranty claim issues or breakdown issues of any sort. The car itself is pretty reliable and if you follow good practices like not riding the clutch and allowing the turbo to warm up and cool down properly you shouldn't face any problems. The engine is a gem.

Taking over the remainder of the loan would be better. If you go for a new used car loan, interest rates will be much higher.
Old 28th June 2013, 11:29   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
11L seems to be a bit high. Ideally a Jan 2011 model should be had for about 9L considering the high prices in Bangalore and the fact that the car went at highly discounted prices recently. Discounts of upto 2L were available on the Ex showroom prices. I don't think new TSIs are available with dealers right now as production is stopped. If the owner has bought the car in Jan 2011, this is sure to be a 2010 model. Do a VIN analysis and that should tell which month and year the car was manufactured in. You can probably use this point in your negotiations. But used TSIs are rare cars and that makes it hard to fix a price on them. Someone who is on the lookout for one will be ready to pay a slightly higher price.

Skoda service in Bangalore should not be a cause for worry. I have a TSI myself and have visited the service centre for a total of 3 times in my two years and 38k kms of ownership for regular service only. I have not faced any warranty claim issues or breakdown issues of any sort. The car itself is pretty reliable and if you follow good practices like not riding the clutch and allowing the turbo to warm up and cool down properly you shouldn't face any problems. The engine is a gem.

Taking over the remainder of the loan would be better. If you go for a new used car loan, interest rates will be much higher.
Thanks for the quick reply Santosh!

I have in fact tried for a new one about a year back. But back then the best deal I heard from Vinayak was 14.x L or something on road (discounts of about 1 Lakh). That was for an old stock. I don't remember about the variant. I guess only Ambient is available now. But may be they have quoted then about classic, few pieces of which were still unsold. As you said, if discounts were about 2 L then the on road price should be something like 13.x L, right?

If this is the case then a price above 9 L is not quite good. Also, given the chances of new Octavia coming soon. If rumors are correct then it may come between Laura and Rapid. Which means TSi prices may be even better.

Is taking over a loan with the car possible at all? Any complications with the ownership transfer etc?
Old 28th June 2013, 12:03   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply Santosh!

I have in fact tried for a new one about a year back. But back then the best deal I heard from Vinayak was 14.x L or something on road (discounts of about 1 Lakh). That was for an old stock. I don't remember about the variant. I guess only Ambient is available now. But may be they have quoted then about classic, few pieces of which were still unsold. As you said, if discounts were about 2 L then the on road price should be something like 13.x L, right?

If this is the case then a price above 9 L is not quite good. Also, given the chances of new Octavia coming soon. If rumors are correct then it may come between Laura and Rapid. Which means TSi prices may be even better.

Is taking over a loan with the car possible at all? Any complications with the ownership transfer etc?
Discounts have always varied with these Skoda delaers. When I bought in 2011 I only got a discount of 75K, when Bombay dealers were giving upto 1.25L. TSI was only avaialbe in Ambient trim. Classic was launched in mid 2011 and was later withdrawn. Onroad price in 2011 was close to 16L. Resale as on any date basically depends on current demand. Some cars hold on to their value very well like while some are depreciation disasters. The Laura TSI never sold in large numbers hence their supply in the used market is also limited.

The new Octavia will come around Diwali this year and initially only the top end models are going to make it here. Skoda will continue selling the Laura till the kits are exhausted. No way the new Octavia will be priced lower than the Laura. It is a bigger car and internationally is a replacement for the last gen Octavia, which Skoda chose to name as the Laura here. Don't expect the Octavia for anything less than 18L on road in Bangalore.

Taking over a car loan is possible. The Banker will have to verify your credit worthiness and if he agrees, you can transfer the car and the loan to your name. There should not be any complications with transfer of ownership.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 12:15   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Discounts have always varied with these Skoda delaers. When I bought in 2011 I only got a discount of 75K, when Bombay dealers were giving upto 1.25L. TSI was only avaialbe in Ambient trim. Classic was launched in mid 2011 and was later withdrawn. Onroad price in 2011 was close to 16L. Resale as on any date basically depends on current demand. Some cars hold on to their value very well like while some are depreciation disasters. The Laura TSI never sold in large numbers hence their supply in the used market is also limited.

The new Octavia will come around Diwali this year and initially only the top end models are going to make it here. Skoda will continue selling the Laura till the kits are exhausted. No way the new Octavia will be priced lower than the Laura. It is a bigger car and internationally is a replacement for the last gen Octavia, which Skoda chose to name as the Laura here. Don't expect the Octavia for anything less than 18L on road in Bangalore.

Taking over a car loan is possible. The Banker will have to verify your credit worthiness and if he agrees, you can transfer the car and the loan to your name. There should not be any complications with transfer of ownership.
I just spoke to vinayaka people and there is one last Active variant available which is on display. When I asked if its a display vehicle, she claims not exactly but they have added quite a few things like wider tyres, alloys, leather seats, spoiler etc for selling it quickly. I don't know if we can buy that point completely. Anyways, the Active I believe is even stripped down model compared to the old classic. The on road price is 17L and 2L discounts makes it 15L. She has invited me to discuss further and possibly a better deal. May be can settle it for 14.5 or so.

Hence I still see value in the used one if it comes around, say 8.5L or so. I am planning to visit the guy by evening.
Old 28th June 2013, 12:41   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just spoke to vinayaka people and there is one last Active variant available which is on display. When I asked if its a display vehicle, she claims not exactly but they have added quite a few things like wider tyres, alloys, leather seats, spoiler etc for selling it quickly. I don't know if we can buy that point completely. Anyways, the Active I believe is even stripped down model compared to the old classic. The on road price is 17L and 2L discounts makes it 15L. She has invited me to discuss further and possibly a better deal. May be can settle it for 14.5 or so.

Hence I still see value in the used one if it comes around, say 8.5L or so. I am planning to visit the guy by evening.
Onroad price of 17L for the Active?? I remember it used to cost around 13.5L on road. I think they have added the cost of all those add ons that they have added on to the car. The Active variant originally came with steel wheels, no fog lamps, basic audio system, no centre arm rest, basic steering wheel etc...Its stripped down in every sense. Not worth it for even 14L IMO. Don't get tempted by stuff like the rear spoiler etc... I am sure this will be a 2012 model that's been sitting in the yard for a long time. Its unlikely to be a test drive vehicle as they'll be using a TSI Ambient for this purpose.

The 2010 Ambient TSI had a good features set, like rain sensing wipers, cooled glove box etc... which was deleted from 2011 onwards. If the car in question has all these features it makes good sense to go for it. 27K is nothing for these well built Skodas. Even after 38K kms my car feels like its fresh out of the showroom.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 28th June 2013 at 12:49.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 13:05   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Onroad price of 17L for the Active?? I remember it used to cost around 13.5L on road. I think they have added the cost of all those add ons that they have added on to the car. The Active variant originally came with steel wheels, no fog lamps, basic audio system, no centre arm rest, basic steering wheel etc...Its stripped down in every sense. Not worth it for even 14L IMO. Don't get tempted by stuff like the rear spoiler etc... I am sure this will be a 2012 model that's been sitting in the yard for a long time. Its unlikely to be a test drive vehicle as they'll be using a TSI Ambient for this purpose.

The 2010 Ambient TSI had a good features set, like rain sensing wipers, cooled glove box etc... which was deleted from 2011 onwards. If the car in question has all these features it makes good sense to go for it. 27K is nothing for these well built Skodas. Even after 38K kms my car feels like its fresh out of the showroom.
Saw this ad in the team-bhp classified.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...da/Laura.html/

Asking price of 8.75L must be 8 - 8.25L realistically for this 2010 model registered in TN. Given that there is only a small difference in tax between TN and KA, the actual KA price for 2010 model should be around the same. Adding another 50K for 2011 model, though as you pointed the car in question is mostly 2010 make, should make the realistic price of around 8.5L. So I should start from 8L to reach 8.5L. Now the only problem I face is, am I going to hurt his feeling by quoting about 3 Lakhs less?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks