Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact sedan would you choose?
Tata Zest 366 64.78%
Maruti Dzire 74 13.10%
Honda Amaze 60 10.62%
Hyundai Xcent 65 11.50%
Voters: 565. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2015, 19:39   #151
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent

Bulletboy,
I remember that the Etios has has ABS from V onwards. Your further posts say you did like it so this works in your favor.

Here are the specs from their website:
Name:  EtiosSafetySpecs.PNG
Views: 3189
Size:  19.3 KB

http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new...ification.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post
2. Toyota Etios V: Has airbags, but not ABS. Does not have many features which Xcent offers, that too at around 60 - 70K Rs less.
Positives: Large boot, Toyota service (have got positive feedback on very low maintenance costs), Airbags standard on all variants, can comfortably accommodate 3 in rear seat.
Negatives: V version is not feature loaded (comparing with Xcent), No ABS.
Old 1st July 2015, 13:27   #152
BHPian

I went for a test drive of Tata Zest yesterday evening.

I liked the overall package offered by Tata. The general feel is very good. There is enough of space on back-seat for 3 adults. The build quality also seems decent.
The boot is reasonably sized, definitely bigger than DZire, but smaller than Xcent.

The acceleration from 40 to 100kmph is just superb. The turbo kicks in at around 2000 rpm, and with that the car moves like a rocket. I loved that!!! The gear knob had some vibrations at speeds of 20 - 30kmph. Not sure if that was a problem with the test drive vehicle, or a general issue (not a deal breaker anyways).

The XMS model comes with ABS and Airbags (I am keen on basic safety requirements).
The on road price for XMS is 7.92L dealer is willing to offer some discounts (yet to be negotiated).

In short, I am now comparing Toyota Etios V (Petrol) and Tata Zest XMS (Diesel).
Interestingly the price points are almost same for both.
bulletboy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 13:03   #153
BHPian

Went ahead and booked Tata Zest XMS Qjet yesterday! Etios V (Petrol) and Zest XMS (Diesel) were the final contenders.

Got a very good deal from the Tata dealer; will get the delivery in next 1 - 2 weeks (I wanted silver colored and May / June manufactured vehicle, and hence it is being ordered).
bulletboy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 17:25   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post
...Got a very good deal from the Tata dealer; will get the delivery in next 1 - 2 weeks (I wanted silver colored and May / June manufactured vehicle, and hence it is being ordered).
Do let us know what was the deal and possibly the dealer name too. Some buyers may benefit from that.
Old 13th August 2015, 12:03   #155
BHPian

Request to Moderators : Kindly add Ford Figo Aspire since comparison posts are already started in Aspire thread.

Thanks.
Old 8th September 2015, 23:00   #156
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Motorbeam shootout between Amaze, Figo Aspire, Xcent & Zest.
Figo Aspire diesel does 0-100 in 9.72 seconds! Wasn't knowing the car was so quick.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/09/car...zest-shootout/
Old 9th September 2015, 17:09   #157
BHPian

Etios VD or Zest XMS-D?

Posting for a friend who wants to buy a big car (read sedan) shortly:

Has short listed the following three cars:
1. Toyota Etios VD
2. Tata Zest XMS Diesel
3. Honda Amaze S-MT(iDTEC) (contender - pretty much out of the race as of now).

In a dilemma whether to go with Zest (~1.25L cheaper than Etios) OR go with Etios (toyota reliability, lower costs of maintenance). To own it for 7+ years (possibly 10+ years) and needs a trouble free ownership. Diesel variant seem to be the way to go considering the performance, mile munching expected in coming years. Not inclined to buy an used car. Budget strictly between 8-9L (+/-50K). Strangely, could not find any detailed comparisons of the above 3 together (Etios is always left out) online.

Points for Zest:
+ Price Price Price - lowest priced diesel car with all bells & whistles.
+ Looks better (subjective).
- Not proven yet. Sales have dropped already. Engine is OK, but what about overall car? What if it looks aged after 3-4 years with rattles, faded paint/plastics etc?
- TATA A.S.S - hit or miss. Cant take chances
- Fuel Efficiency seem to be lower than expected (at least compared to Etios)
- hasn't really made a mark inspite of its big bang entry - not many seen on the streets

Points for Etios:
+ Reliability
+ Low long term ownership costs
- Almost 1.5L more for comparable models of Zest & still can be considered to be with less features
* Boring looks - but should be OK. Taxi view - Does not matter
* NVH Levels - Its not soo bad either.

So, its all about reliability vs. additional 1.5L payout upfront. Considering the 5-10 year ownership plan, Toyota scores over Tata. Other factors to consider:
0. Driveability aspects
1. FE
2. Niggle free car
3. Safety aspects (ABS is mandatory; Airbags are good to have).
4. Basic human comforts - all 4 power windows; Height adjustable driver seat; Proper aircon
5. Best deals that can be picked up; No / couple of weeks of waiting period
6. 5-10 year ownership period

Twist it or turn it, Etios seems to come tops over Zest if you ignore the 1L extra which you are paying for a long term ownership car. Still want to be sure that nothing is left out.

Questions:
1. Is Etios FE better than Zest? - I believe so. Can someone clarify?
2. How does Zest compare with Etios on the driveability front? (1 person & full load conditions)
3. City use (90% of the "time", it will be in the city) - Etios or Zest?
4. Any other suggestions keeping in mind the above listed requirements?

Also, is it a good idea to consider Etios Liva (hatch) instead of Etios (sedan) to consider a potential saving of 1-1.5L?

Thanks.
Old 9th September 2015, 18:01   #158
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Etios VD or Zest XMS-D?

Although you have mentioned 'big car', 2 out of 3 options listed are from the "compact sedan" category. In that case, may be have a look at Hyundai Xcent which would be a much better 'personal' car to own and a much better overall package. If you don't mind the looks, may be even the Maruti Dzire.

Nissan Sunny is not selling. Check if there are any offers from dealer/manufacturer which bring it in the desired budget range.

If it is strictly between the Etios and Zest, I would pick the Etios any day. Extremely practical car.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 18:07   #159
Team-BHP Support

Between the two, I'd pick the Etios for it's reliability. I personally don't think that Tata cars age well and if the window is 7-10 years, I'd give them the skip.

But please do check out the Ford Aspire. On paper, it looks a good alternative though I haven't driven it yet.
Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 18:26   #160
BHPian

1. Zest comes with India's national engine, the Fiat MJD, which has proven to be very reliable over the years, even when plonked into Tata cars.
  2. The Zest has a better ground clearance compared to the Etios, which I think is an important differentiation between the two.
  3. Tata service is improving over the years. As an ex Tata owner, I can safely say that those showrooms which have opened up in last 2-3 years are definitely better than the old ones in terms of customer satisfaction, although servicing of electronic wizardry is not yet a Tata forte. Toyota is anyhow better in this department.
  4. Zest interiors are better than Etios. The variant XMS will come with that renowned Harman Kardon music system. A luxury I may say.
  5. XMS variant comes with ABS, but no airbags. Etios (I believe) has airbags as a standard feature, but no ABS in the variant your friend has short listed.
  6. Fuel efficiency in the city should be more or less equal. A friend owns 2 Etios and says that the Toyota is sensitive to driving style. A heavy right foot on highways will see the fuel economy drop below 20. A sedate style should give you up to 23 by both cars.
  7. One point to notice in the Zest which may require attention as a maintenance check point, is the placement of the inter cooler. It is placed behind the front bumper and is subject to mud, water, road debris, etc.
The question is really tough to answer, as there is nothing going against the two. But since I'm an ex-Tata owner, my personal suggestion would be the Zest

I hope I've not confused your friend more
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 18:51   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
XMS variant comes with ABS, but no airbags. Etios (I believe) has airbags as a standard feature, but no ABS in the variant your friend has short listed.
Tata Zest XMS and Toyota Etios VD variants comes with dual airbags and ABS.

Quote:
The Zest has a better ground clearance compared to the Etios, which I think is an important differentiation between the two.
Tata Zest diesel ground clearance is 165mm and for Toyota Etios, it's 170mm.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 19:03   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Etios (I believe) has airbags as a standard feature, but no ABS in the variant your friend has short listed
Etios twins comes with Driver + passenger airbag as standard feature.

Liva diesel has Standard ABS with EBD for all variants.

For Etios Toyota has smartly positioned only two variants V/VD & VX/VXD with "ABS with EBD", earlier all the Etios diesel variants had Standard ABS with EBD.

Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent-etios.jpg
source http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new...ification.aspx

The VD version short listed by his friend has ABS with EBD.
driving_smartly is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 19:07   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Tata Zest XMS and Toyota Etios VD variants comes with dual airbags and ABS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
The VD version short listed by his friend has ABS with EBD.
Thanks for correction. Apologies for sending incorrect information.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 19:11   #164
Senior - BHPian

To add to what others have already mentioned - Zest has a smaller boot - so if your friend needs a full sized boot he has to look elsewhere.

On resale front, Etios will fare better - so it will possibly make up most of what you put additionally upfront if now all of it.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 19:14   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Liva diesel has Standard ABS with EBD for all variants.
Liva diesel J and G variants are not equipped with ABS but all variants comes with dual airbags as standard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks