Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact sedan would you choose?
Tata Zest 366 64.78%
Maruti Dzire 74 13.10%
Honda Amaze 60 10.62%
Hyundai Xcent 65 11.50%
Voters: 565. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2014, 21:11   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
sedan without airbags
I thought the zest comes with airbags and ABS+EBD on the XMS and XT variants?
Old 14th August 2014, 21:26   #62
Team-BHP Support

Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
I thought the zest comes with airbags and ABS+EBD on the XMS and XT variants?
I'm talking about the much awaited diesel AMT version which most people have voted for!

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th August 2014 at 21:55.
Old 14th August 2014, 21:55   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Heart would always say Ferrari / Lamborghini, right?
Ferrarri/Lamborgini are not in the list of options, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm talking about the eagerly awaited diesel AMT version which most people have voted for!
Thanks for clarifying, Missed the fact that the diesel AMT does not have airbags.

Neither did I realize this poll was w.r.t the the AMT. My vote would remain unchanged nevertheless (for now).
Old 15th August 2014, 09:15   #64
Senior - BHPian

After looking at the Zest in flesh today morning, I will say the interiors of Zest are damn good, but still not as immaculate as that of the Xcent. So in terms of Interiors look and feel, my rating is Xcent > Zest > DZire > Amaze.

The exteriors are fantastic !!! Especially the rear of the car looks really good, i think the best in the segment. The whole front grill along with the DRLs looks really nice. I think in the exteriors department, I would rate Zest as the numero uno choice. Zest > Xcent > DZire > Amaze (due to the weird boot intergration IMO)

I would say Tata has gone miles ahead in terms of fit, finish, look and feel compared to my Vista.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 19:15   #65
BHPian

I have voted for the Xcent although I'm contemplating on getting a car from the C2 segment, so its a completely unbiased decision. Still have driven all of em' (except Zest) since my relatives have the other 3 cars.
1. Xcent: Great looks, best interior among the lot, quality is good too, Petrol engine is excellent, cant say the same for the Diesel. VFM is what makes it my top pick.
2. Amaze: Well proportioned, noisy engine, piss poor interiors (its cost almost 9lac OTR Bangalore, I expect more), horrible build quality, barebones feature list. Drives well and is spacious.
3. Dzire: Top notch engines (both petrol & diesel), great build quality, terrific resale value, tried and tested, drives and handles quite well.
4. Zest: No Tata's for me ever. (we had one horrible experience with a Tata, never again!)
Old 15th August 2014, 20:19   #66
BHPian

I have picked the Zest. And even if it had been the least voted car I would have gone for it. Reasons??
My family owned a Vista which we sold recently. And I very well know the difficulties we faced on selling the car which was recently announced for commercial usage. And the shortcomings have been improved and almost rectified on the Zest. Going for the other cars only due to the resale value and the reliability doesn't go down well with me (Strictly IMO). Well this car has almost fulfilled the void the other cars boasted. Then why others??
karzzexped is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 20:25   #67
BHPian

I had a short test drive of Zest diesel few days back and really liked the car. Only sour points according to me are the irritating initial lag of the fiat diesel (which is an old story), overly soft seats and the cramped foot-well (without any space for resting the left foot).
Looking at the poll results here, I really wish that the same sentiments are carried over by the Indian (car buying) public also.
sivadas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 20:32   #68
BHPian

I will anyday go for the swift dzire.

Points in favour of the Dzire:

1) Reliability.
2) Superb tuned engine.
3) Maruti's after sales service.
4) very comfortable seats.

Points against the new dzire:
1) Extremely small boot. The raised height obstructs huge suitcases. At least they could have provided split seats. But they haven't.

I drive a 4 year old Dzire, the older model. The seats in the earlier model were not as comfortable as the present model. But I have driven this car for 80000 km so far, and its a workhorse. I know some people may complain about its odd design and its bad brakes. But this car is extremely reliable and frugal when it comes to diesel. I get a mileage of 21-22 km/liter almost regularly with a.c.

Thou you seem sentimental about Tata, I am scared about this AMT gearbox.

If you can wait a few months, lets watch for the reviews about the Zest in the real world. Because Tata has a habit of manufacturing a few lemons.
Old 15th August 2014, 20:33   #69
BHPian

I felt the engine to be tune a bit better than the Vista and the Punto. But the initial lag made my face flinch immediately which even the sales executive noticed. When they quizzed me about any rectifications to be made, the instantaneous reply was that of the engine. A rather puzzling answer was given to me. He said " The engine is a proven one (well also proven for its lag!!) and we couldn't find the proper shifting ratios for the AMT in other engines.

The NVH levels were improved to a great extent, but pulling the car over the 120 km/h mark clearly made the engine noise penetrate through the cabin. Otherwise no niggles except for a terrible nitpicker.
Old 15th August 2014, 21:28   #70
BHPian

Zest is the choice. Reasons: Affordable prices, Diesel AT, sorted interiors and exteriors. The only suspicion being overall reliability.
Why couldn't Tata take some dieting lessons from the Japs and Koreans. The petrol versions are way too heavier than the other players.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 22:44   #71
BHPian

I have voted for the Dzire - oddball rear end notwithstanding.
Yes! It is a common design now and doesn't that tell you something? Would so many people buy a "bad" car???

The reason I have avoided the Zest is because it is a new product from the Tata stable who, I'm sure most of you will agree, use the public as the proverbial "guinea pigs" on which to test their new models. I know - I owned a brand new Sumo in 1995 and sold it a year later - in sheer disgust.
I am also the current owner of a Nano (my wife's idea I hasten to add) so I know the pathetic quality of their after sales service. All this "Horizonext" hoo-haa is all just nonsense.

Amaze does nothing to "amaze" me. Cheap looks and noisy engine.

Xcent - well I am just not a Hyundai person. IMHO I believe their products do not have any depth of engineering.

Regards,
SS
Old 16th August 2014, 17:50   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Heart? These are econoboxes and none of these cars will tug at heart strings. Heart would always say Ferrari / Lamborghini, right?
Nopes! My heart is into SUVs.
For the traffic and daily grind, my heart says (wagonr or chevy beat or santro, yeah odd combination)+auto+airbags.

Last edited by subscrive : 16th August 2014 at 17:58.
Old 16th August 2014, 19:34   #73
BHPian

I for one would wait until the Zest has been put through its paces before jumping to say it is the best car in the segment. Just looking at the features though, it would be a choice you can make with your eyes closed, but given Tata's poor service delivery, would have to wait and watch. I have voted for the Zest though given the amount of effort Tata has put in considering its previous models.
Old 17th August 2014, 01:24   #74
BHPian

I would rank xcent, dzire, amaze and zest in order. For me, having owned three Hyundai cars, the Hyundai service is a big plus. Though I like the features list on zest, I am skeptical of buying the car due to the tata brand. Possibly their problems are a thing of the past, possibly their cars now can match the competition, possibly they have learnt their lesson, however there's a very big uncertainty looming on the word "possibly". I do not think I possibly will ever have the faith to place my hard earned money on those assumptions. Purely my opinion though, no offense meant.
Old 18th August 2014, 12:57   #75
Senior - BHPian

Finally TATA gave me a chance to vote in favor of a TATA product, yes its Zest for me.

Why?
  • I'm not worried about resale value!
  • Reliability/A.S.S -- I own a FIAT and I'm very happy with the product as well as A.S.S, so I feel TATA won't disappoint me
  • Looks -- Yes matters to me. I don't like to be seen driving a odd looking car while we have many others to choose from!
  • I like wide body cars which are equally tall and Zest fits the bill.
  • Engine -- Would any day go for tried and tested Multijet. 3 Potters keep me meters away!
  • I don't like cars with puny tire's, Zest comes with 15 incher's and alloys as standard.
  • Rear seat can accommodate 3rd person.
  • Turbo Charged Petrol at that price point sounds good.
  • + All features

Last edited by HammerHead : 18th August 2014 at 12:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks