Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2006, 00:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

On the muv front[tavera,qualis] no decent vehicle available for my budget till now ,most muvs run 50-60 k kilometres and as tourist vehicles.Private muv owners are quoting sky-high rates

So its clearly becoming a baleno vs ohc[either 1.5 exi or vtec]question.

Now could the OHC owners please answer these questions:
1>.The OHC is claimed to be very lightweight and hence is claimed to be unstable at higher speeds[100+],is this true.

2>. Are the OHC seats[especially rear] not comfortable enough for long drives.Also is the legroom good enough for tall passengers.

3>. How is the ground clearance of the OHC.Does it scrape big speedbrakers.

4>. Are the spares of OHC very costly.

5>.How does the OHC behave on bad roads[potholes] and on the highways.

PS:Fellow team-bhpians and moderators thank you for your patience,kind words and inputs from time to time.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 21st October 2006 at 00:52.
Old 21st October 2006, 02:29   #62
BHPian

spotted a baleno altura here in bangalore at the sagar automobiles "True value" outlet..2003 model maroon for 4L negotiable. this was sometime back...maybe its still there...was really neat
Old 21st October 2006, 18:03   #63
Senior - BHPian

baleno is a good buy in seconds since its spare parts price have seen a fall of 50% compared to what it was a year back.
Old 22nd October 2006, 11:55   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
if you can find one, look at getting a baleno altura. All the virtues of teh baleno with much better looks IMHO. Also, tehir resale value is pretty low, so 3-3.5 should get you a decent piece.
Are you in touch with the market himanshu ?

on the contrary the resale of altura is way higher than that of a baleno of the same vintage .

~A
Old 22nd October 2006, 18:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

On my friends insistance had a talk[telephonic conversation] with a car dealer.

The dealer was hell bent on selling me a 2003 toyota camry [run about 45 k odd kilometres]for 5 lakhs.I just walked away from the deal without even looking at the car because even though I may be able to afford the camry right now,I might not be able to maintain it.

I hope I have done the right thing[if not i can still go back to the dealer within a week],although maybe just the thoughts that I could have been a camry owner sent me to a differrent planet.
Old 28th March 2009, 23:58   #66
BHPian

Guys just wanted to re-ignite this thread. I have been looking out for cars for quite sometime. Wanted to buy Swift Zxi but am very skeptical of my driving skills. So wanted to plunge into second hand car market and check if there are any good cars available and learn driving and then buy a new one?

Budget < 3L - can stretch till 4L if the deal is good. Will be keeping the car for 6 months (If the car is good and less on maintenance may plan to give it to my parents too).

I need help on these two fronts -
  • Good reliable pre-owned car show room in Bangalore
  • Good car in that range
I have been looking in free-ads. Not much help.

The ones on my mind are - Baleno (for obvious reasons), but not sure if i could get a 2006 versions. Checked ads in carwale.com but seemed to be very high (even in this recession)

Please let me know which car, year (version if possible) I should target and let me know the price in your mind. I will haggle accordingly.

Thanks a lot.
Old 29th March 2009, 12:53   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

@cherish: Since you are open to sedans and new to driving, with plans of giving the vehicle to your parents if you find it to be reliable, I would suggest you check out the following.
All of them are reliable, have good visibility, easy to drive, fun to drive.
- Baleno - the best performance/ride comfort
- 2001 Mitsubishi Lancer (these had a lower localization content in comparison to later models, meaning better reliability. An easy way to see if this is the right car is by seeing whether the speedo gauges are white - low localization, or red - high localization - avoid). - This car had the best handling/ride comfort blend, with decent FE and a very rev happy engine. My choice!
- 98-03 OHC - Slightly harsh ride, but amazing performance/handling combo.
Old 29th March 2009, 13:01   #68
BHPian

I would put my money on a baleno, take a look at true value as well. Sometimes you get a good deal as well as warranty. It's a good car and its tough to go wrong with maruti
Old 29th March 2009, 16:16   #69
BHPian

Read in the forum of their upgraded ones in 06. What should be the approx price considering that they are no more in production?

Lancer 01 model, am but skeptical as they would be nearing their life cycle..wont it dent my pocket?

I will check out the true value market. Any other place in Bangalore?

I guess Accent's are available. How about them?
Old 30th March 2009, 03:27   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

The Accent is a nice car, but it is not the best to drive, or the most comfortable to sit in either.
Well, you should get a well maintained Lancer for 3L and should be able to use it for another 3 years. If a car is well maintained, you shouldn't face any problem with her engine for 1-1.5L kms!
Why not PM ex lancer users, such as GTO and ask them? Also, you can do a search for the Lancer and see how the car is for yourself.
We had a 2005 Lancer, very bad build, but then, it was stored for 6 months and built by HM and not Mitsubishi. As a car however, it was fantastic and once the initial problems got sorted out, the car performed beautifully, and it still is!
Old 30th March 2009, 11:16   #71
BHPian

Thanks lamborghini. Will find out from them. I like the Lancer car. If they dont give too much trouble w.r.t maintenance then I dont have any problem. I will start looking for Lancer and Baleno. If I can get 2005+ Baleno for 3-3.5L then that should seal the deal.
Old 30th March 2009, 14:54   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey cherish,
just a word of advice though. Maintaining the Baleno might cost as much as a Lancer in terms of spare part pricing as the Baleno also had many Suzuki Genuine Parts that were imported. Do a search around the forum before deciding on any car.
Old 30th March 2009, 14:59   #73
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a OHC vtec 2003 which has done 66k for 4lacs... both the bumpers need some work.

Drove it and it felt good.

Saw it in whitefield honda, contact person is Ramesh
Old 30th March 2009, 16:26   #74
BHPian

I somehow dont like the shape of OHC. Let me check anyway though.

In all the baleno threads I read in team bhp there isn't any particular mention of costly spares. Will read again. Let me get the quoted from Pre owned dealers first and put it here. Then I will decide whether to go or not.
Old 4th April 2009, 21:40   #75
BHPian

Need urgent help

I found a 2004 Dec Baleno. Its a second owned one (bought it one year ago).
  • The car from exterior looks good (with alloy and tyres changed recently).
  • Odometer shows 36k. Driving per se only brakes are bit hard, clutch and engine seems fine.
  • Rattling sounds are there and the owner admitted that beads should be changed across the door panels.
He is quoting 3L final price (including comprehensive insurance (no insurance currently and change of registration). Please give opinions on possible things that might come up in future. Looking to own this for 2-3 years.

Carwale prices and all are showing around 3.5L.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks