Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which D-Segment sedan would you choose?
Hyundai Elantra 80 13.49%
Toyota Corolla Altis 102 17.20%
Skoda Octavia 223 37.61%
Volkswagen Jetta 168 28.33%
Chevrolet Cruze 20 3.37%
Voters: 593. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2018, 13:04   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The D-segment sedan battle: Elantra vs Corolla Altis vs Octavia vs Jetta vs Cruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
Those are interesting ideas. I already tried the Creta, and it proved really difficult to get in. As, for S-Cross to be honest it didn't occur to me, but now that you seem to put forth such a strong case for it, I would probably go and take a look as it has piqued my curiosity.

As for your choice of picking up a pretty owned BMW 328i over the vRS - if you don't mind my asking , how much did the BMW cost? The reason I ask is because I have already made a similar choice in the past but kinda regretted it later. Mostly because the resale value of the BMW just plummets considering that it now has 2 registered owners. Although, at the time I was just obsessed with the BMW and nothing else made any sense to me. Now that's what's called being blind in love
So personally, we found the S-Cross seating to be just perfect!
Only con is that it isn't available in a petrol motor, and the 1.3L engine on it at present it just about adequate (hint: remap!)

I'll send you a PM about the value of the 328i, though I did overpay a little for it. Difficult though to find such a car with low mileage - 20,500kms!
Completely agree about the resale value, but here's what I've learnt:

1) All germans have low resale value, and the amount of time I plan to keep it for, it will be a question of INR 1L here or there. Heck, even the Laura had dismal resale value. Fear of high maintenance is one of the biggest reasons IMO.

2) If it is a unique car, then an enthusiast will not mind picking it up irrespective of first owner or second owner. Just an example: Our E270CDI that we owned took a little more effort to sell because it wasn't an epitome of reliability and was shortly replaced by a more powerful and refined 6cylinder E280. However, our 525D had a lot of buyers knocking on our door because unlike the mass market 520D, the 525D was a little rarer. Hence, I think the 328i won't have much of an issue during resale provided it's in good condition, and neither will the vRS (a friend sold his Laura vRS for a little more than what I got for my top end, lesser run, L&K).

In a nutshell, the 328i is the first pre-owned car we bought; and the value it offered to it's next closest competitor in terms of performance (vRS) made it worth it. Resale value may take a hit compared to the vRS but hey - this is a long term buy (4+ years) - when I split the INR 1-1.5L difference for second owner v/s first over 48 months - it's a small amount I am willing to digest for the overall experience!
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 15:59   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The D-segment sedan battle: Elantra vs Corolla Altis vs Octavia vs Jetta vs Cruze

Seriously considering a Elantra S VTVT (petrol base manual) to replace my ageing Cruze.

Requirements are unusually specific and narrow down the list as follows:
  • New vehicle only.
  • Sedan only (ingress/egress issues + nausea from high CG vehicles).
  • D segment only.
  • To be exclusively chauffeur-driven from day 1 :-(.
  • Usage mostly beater car for office and school / errand runs.
  • Prefer petrol but not a showstopper.
  • Budget (on-road BLR after +22% of insurance/RTO charges etc) of ~19L.
  • Dark or Black colour preferred.
  • Rear seat ride quality & leg space + quality interiors a must
  • Preferably a little exclusive if possible!
  • Vehicle to be retained for minimum 5 years.
These essentially leave only the Elantra which is coming to ~16.5 on-road BLR after discounts. Any thoughts? I know a face-lift is coming but typically very little tends to change on the orphaned base models. For example, the snazzy DRLs will probably not be there!

Upsides is that I liked the ride quality of the Elantra and the fact that even the base Elantra comes with the same alloy wheels & chunky 205/60/16 tyres (as on the top end), steering-mounted audio controls & rear armrest, a 4 speaker touch stereo and rear AC vents. Downside is that no DRLs or those wicked LED tail-lights.

Before someone raises the incoming Honda Civic, I have ridden in it in Thailand and rear seat ingress and egress is pathetic because of the sharply raked roof. Its a great 'front seat' car though.

Couple of specific requests:
A. Does anyone have pictures of the base Elantra? Looks like a very rare car as no one seems to have snapped one. Maximum sales (in BKR at least) are of the top-end petrol and diesel automatics
B. Any real-life ownership reviews of the petrol manual including expected mileage? There are no manual petrol TD cars in BLR! The TBHP review is good but not an ownership thread.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th June 2018 at 17:16. Reason: Edited on request.
Old 25th June 2018, 17:06   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Seriously considering a Elantra S VTVT (petrol base manual) to replace my ageing Cruze.
The Elantra is a good car, but as a chauffeur-driven sedan, the Corolla Altis is hard to beat. It offers a much better backseat experience than the Elantra.
Aaron:) is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 18:02   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

The Elantra is definitely a great car, but I'd urge you to look at the Corolla since ease of ingress is very important and the Elantra is a low car. It doesn't have as nice interiors as the Elantra and neither is it exclusive - but there's a reason it's so popular - the rear seats!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 18:42   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The Elantra is definitely a great car, but I'd urge you to look at the Corolla since ease of ingress is very important and the Elantra is a low car. It doesn't have as nice interiors as the Elantra and neither is it exclusive - but there's a reason it's so popular - the rear seats!
Thank you both! However, unless stingy Toyota is miraculously giving discounts its not VFM in my mind.

The Elantra is clocking in at ~16.5L OTR BLR. The Altis 1.8 G base ex-showroom starts at 16.27L!
Old 25th June 2018, 23:35   #171
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since your budget is 19L on road, why don't you consider the Elantra SX? While you have made it clear that the car is meant to be chauffeur driven, I am pretty sure that the wifey and the kids would appreciate the interiors of the SX variant. More importantly, lower variants of cars have poor resale value and I am pretty sure that you will be able to recover at least 75% of the difference you are going to pay for the SX when you sell the car in the future.

As others have already pointed out, the Corolla G is the better option if the car is going to be chauffeur driven. It may cost you around 20L on road, but when you sell the car, you will definitely gain back much more than the extra amount which you will pay for the Corolla over the Elantra SX . Infact I won't be surprised if at the end of the car's tenure, the Corolla comes out to be cheaper than even the Elantra S(considering the higher mileage as well as resale which will definitely be higher for the Corolla).

Quote:
Does anyone have pictures of the base Elantra? Looks like a very rare car as no one seems to have snapped one. Maximum sales (in BKR at least) are of the top-end petrol and diesel automatics
Here is a video of the elusive Elantra S-

The major fly in the ointment in my opinion is the bland looking steering due to limited steering controls on the right side and the horribly basic looking gear lever, which for some reason is a standard on any Hyundai in India unless you go for the top variant(all cars until the C segment). Better looking gear lever is available on the Elantra from the mid-variant.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 11:01   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Since your budget is 19L on road, why don't you consider the Elantra SX?
As others have already pointed out, the Corolla G is the better option if the car is going to be chauffeur driven.
Thanks, excellent well reasoned points. I am test driving the Altis VL today itself to get a feel of the car. However, I believe Phantom Black is only made to order and can take 60 days!

Anyway, that is later - let me try the car first.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 14:01   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, excellent well reasoned points. I am test driving the Altis VL today itself to get a feel of the car. However, I believe Phantom Black is only made to order and can take 60 days!

Anyway, that is later - let me try the car first.
They have a really nice brown shade as well IMO.

As for discounts - do push! There were some lucrative offers a while back.

When we picked up the Corolla, we found it expensive as well for what it offered. Heck, the interiors were so drab that dad didn't even bother sitting in the car for a week after we got it. Today, the Corolla is the preferred choice for mom & dad, despite having more expensive cars in the garage.
What will also help is the fill it, forget it nature of the Corolla and Toyota's in general.

The VL though, with the bigger and lower profile tyres is a little more stiff in terms of ride, so do check out the G variant as well.

The way I see it, this segment has 3 options:

1) Octavia - the most expensive, and not the easiest to maintain compared to competition. But if you drive yourself a lot, this is the car to be in! Rear seat is a little low, upright, and doesn't offer great under-thigh support.
2) Elantra - great for a non-enthusiast with a fair mix of being driven, and also driving. Great feature set, nice interiors, and the rear seat is an ok place to be in too.
3) Corolla - the car for those who only want to be driven! Good GC, comfortable seating, chiller AC. That's all!

Last edited by lamborghini : 26th June 2018 at 14:09.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 16:04   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The VL though, with the bigger and lower profile tyres is a little more stiff in terms of ride, so do check out the G variant as well.

The way I see it, this segment has 3 options:

1) Octavia - the most expensive, and not the easiest to maintain compared to competition. But if you drive yourself a lot, this is the car to be in! Rear seat is a little low, upright, and doesn't offer great under-thigh support.
2) Elantra - great for a non-enthusiast with a fair mix of being driven, and also driving. Great feature set, nice interiors, and the rear seat is an ok place to be in too.
3) Corolla - the car for those who only want to be driven! Good GC, comfortable seating, chiller AC. That's all!
Very useful, thanks again! I AM looking only for the G as I already have a Octavia 1.8 as my daily drive . This Altis / Elantra is for the Home Minister and exclusively chauffeur-driven.

TD'd the VL CVT and found it to be very refined. However, a shocker is that this particular dealer is adamant that any G variant will have to be made to order and especially if a 'dark' colour is chosen! Made-to-order means between 45-60 days.

Not sure what Toyota has been smoking if this is indeed so. No wonder the D1 segment is slowly dying a natural death. Who waits for that long a time nowadays unless its a runaway hit with a very definite USP or VFM side to it?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 16:49   #175
BHPian

I went through all search criterias on Team-Bhp finding the Official Review on the Toyota Corolla Altis - Current gen. Also, read GTO's thread on the difficulty in getting a Ford Ecosport S variant from the manufacturer for a review. I read that the review team would not mind buying an Ecosport just for the review and that they will sell it in few months if required but will ensure that the review is done for the S Variant.

However, I am really surprised that there is no Official Team-BHP review on the Toyota Corolla Altis. I could just find a 2010 review on the Corolla Altis 1.4D and couple of ownership reports.

Toyota Corolla Altis, globally, one of the Top best selling cars and no official Team-BHP review is hard to digest.

Mods:- Please move this to another thread if this query is irrelevant here.

Last edited by navin : 22nd March 2019 at 16:36. Reason: typos
RJ2285 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 15:10   #176
BHPian

Posted this on a different thread as well, sharing the same thoughts here:

Went test driving on the top of the line VTVT SX(O) AT today and a glaring miss in the car is the lack of ISOFIX seats ? Saw a child seat attached to the back seat in the car review in the earlier pages of this thread / is this a feature that has now been discontinued ? It seems even the 2019 version of the elantra doesn't ISOFIX which is a joke because the Verna and Creta have it.

Please do advise. Thank you in advance.
Old 9th April 2019, 19:46   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

With the diminishing demand in the D segment, Toyota is likely to axe Corolla post 2020.( April?)

Quote:
The future product portfolio India strategy at Toyota has got completely overhauled and while Corolla was part of the earlier discussions, it was decided that the C segment sedan is a failing segment and would not be enough to justify business even with combined volumes of Maruti and Toyota.

Link
Old 10th April 2019, 07:17   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

I think there are still enough loyal customers for the Corolla in the market. The interest shown by the market to the Civic should encourage them that the D segment is not dead, yet. What they need to do is spruce it up properly. Offer more features both in line with safety and luxury and possibly better engine options. Right now it is just lacking a USP apart from bullet proof reliability which is no longer exclusive to it and hence the loss in sales.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 23:27   #179

Need Help for Buying a Pre-owned Car

Hello TeamBHP, I am Aryann and I am currently completing my bachelor's degree in Automobile Engineering from Punjab and live in Mohali.

I am looking to buy and replace my current daily driver which is a 2010 Maruti Alto LX. I also own a 2021 Kia Sonet 1.0L Turbo Petrol but it is currently with my dad who lives in Jaipur.

Now I have my eyes on a few models and have a rather small budget but need your help in deciding on which to go for.

Just for your information I am looking for a Diesel Sedan with a Manual transmission, I do not prefer Automatic and Petrol but it is not a deal breaker for me whereas the Sedan part is, I do not want a Hatchback or a SUV or a coupe or anything. I want a proper sedan with a good boot (preferably 400L+) and good leg space in the 2nd row.
Now with that out of the way I will share the few models I have in mind (these are not specific listings just model names).

1. Hyundai Elantra 2013-2015
This is my most preferred model out of all as I personally love the looks and it almost ticks all the boxes. Now I have a question for all you enthusiasts - Is the 1.6L Diesel variant of this car limited to 3000rpm? I have recently driven a 2013 Fluidic Verna which shares the same engine and it is limited to 3000rpm.

2. Volkswagen Vento & Skoda Rapid 2014-2019
No specific problem with these as both are pretty good models. Slightly smaller then Elantra though but cover up in performance but are expensive these days.

3. Hyundai Verna 2016-2019
Overall a very very good car and would've been top of my list if it wasn't costing upwards of 8 Lakh rupees in my area. Same question for it - is it limited to 3000rpm?

4. Chevrolet Cruze 2013-2016
Ahh the Diesel Rocket, My father used to adore this car back when Chevrolet was still here but as of now, these are harder to find and even though I do not have an issue with the whole service part of this car I doubt that good condition models would be available in my area for a price I can afford.

I am still doing my due diligence in this process but I have to replace my car in the coming month or 2 as my Alto is not holding up well and keeps needing repair work which I do not want to spend my money on as it is not fast or comfortable enough to me. My last request is that I want to know places where all of you (from Punjab and Haryana) buy pre-owned vehicles as I have nt had great success in finding used car websites or places other than the ones that are popular and overpriced.

Thank You for reading. Drive Safe.
aryannzx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 00:38   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need Help for Buying a Pre-owned Car

Look for deals in Delhi. The vintage you're looking for is close enough to the death knell for Delhi cars.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks