Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which D-Segment sedan would you choose?
Hyundai Elantra 80 13.49%
Toyota Corolla Altis 102 17.20%
Skoda Octavia 223 37.61%
Volkswagen Jetta 168 28.33%
Chevrolet Cruze 20 3.37%
Voters: 593. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2017, 08:19   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The D-segment sedan battle: Elantra vs Corolla Altis vs Octavia vs Jetta vs Cruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Hi folks,
Facing an interesting dilemma. Just sold our workhorse C250 CDI, looking to move to something easy on the pocket in terms of maintainance (as compared to the C), naturally looking at the D segment.
===========
Sometimes, I also feel that the D segment is just not worth it anymore and I should look at the C Segment and get a VFM Rapid or all rounder City.

Any thoughts?
Hey just as a favour, could you please share your typical C class service costs especially the later years?

Coming back to your query:

You can consider C segment if the usage is primarily in the city and only front two seats are occupied most of the time. But if you factor in rear seat comfort and highway travel, D segment will be worth the extra money.

Toyota vs Skoda is a very simple decision. Get the Toyota if it is going to be chauffeur driven with high mileage usage (errand car). If the usage is moderate and/or it is going to be driven by yourself on highway trips, then it is worth taking a chance with Skoda. Skoda TSI is a real fun car and TDI is an OK car.

Within Toyota, I would suggest get the Innova, give it to the driver and never bother to drive it yourself. Corolla is an extremely unimpressive car, it only makes sense to people who want an executive sedan from Toyota brand - you know people don't want to drive Innova (a mini van) to a business meeting, etc.

Personally my preference is to be either completely cold or completely hot - never lukewarm So it is Skoda TSI or Innova. Given that you have A3 already, get an Innova.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th March 2017 at 09:25. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 09:54   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The D-segment sedan battle: Elantra vs Corolla Altis vs Octavia vs Jetta vs Cruze

Quote:
The car is going to have a daily usage of 20-30KMs in city traffic and 70% chauffeur driven (maybe much lesser is I go with the Octavia ).
Stick to the Octavia TDI. My rationale is that:
A. Your usage is not low but medium
B. It will be driven largely by a chauffeur
C. Resale will be better than the TSI
D. You can still enjoy the diesel torque on weekends etc.
E And you already have the A3!
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 11:59   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

Facing an interesting dilemma. Just sold our workhorse C250 CDI, looking to move to something easy on the pocket in terms of maintainance (as compared to the C), naturally looking at the D segment.

Down to Octavia and Altis as options - here is a summary of the scenario: Heart says Octavia, mind (and everyone else) says Altis.

The car is going to have a daily usage of 20-30KMs in city traffic and 70% chauffeur driven (maybe much lesser is I go with the Octavia ).

Off topic: but, someone suggested and I actually am considering it to get the Innvoa which works roughly around 20 lacs OTR which has all the bells and whistles and is perfect for being chauffeur driven. It sounds silly, but it's me thinking out loud.

Any thoughts?
Since it's low cost of maintenance, resale value and fuss-free ownership you seem to value, I wouldn't recommend the Octavia to you. Their service seems to have improved of late, but it's still not a patch on the Toyota.

You also have a fantastic, fun to drive sedan in the A3 too. The Octavia doesn't make sense in that scenario, in either avatar.

I'd go left field and pick the Innova. Since you're ok with being mostly chauffeur driven, go for the Innova. It ticks all your boxes and will be peaceful to own. And when you do choose to let your hair down and drive a car which is a bit more a wild thing, you can always turn to the A3, which is a vastly underrated drivers car. I reckon you won't even drive the Innova all that much given the presence of the A3 as an alternative for all those self-driven occasions that might pop up.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 11:13   #94
BHPian

Just an update: I went ahead and booked a Candy White Octavia TDI 2.0 Style Plus. It's a October 2016 VIN (MY17) and the car reached the dealer in February. Got a handsome deal where in I got the car priced at 27.85 for 23.80 after a lot of negotiating.

Now, my fingers are crossed and hope my experience with Skoda is a happy one.

Had booked the Beige colour but changed it to white as it's a lot more universal, easier to maintain and ages well, not sure if the beige would look as good as it does today a few years from now.

Any thoughts or must-dos before I take delivery later today or tomorrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
You should seriously consider the Innova Crysta. The V & Z variants are fully loaded. Pls avoid the Octy TSi AT, the dq200 is far from being reliable. I am sure your c250 would have fared better than the octy tsi in the reliability dept. Just met a family friend who is planing to replace his last gen Jetta diesel with the Crysta, He is fed up of the VW ASC in Nashik. The new Altis is a safe choice but looking at your requirements- Crysta AT makes a strong case.
My mind was set on the Innova - but the AT only comes in GX or ZX, the ZX is a whopping 26 lacs OTR. Not worth the money at all and the GX is a bare bones taxi variant, not suitable. So out went the Innova. Also, Innova would be the wisest pick, but would always seem like a compromise wrt "liking". Also, the family did not like the idea of "climbing" up into the car, that too a car not being a butch SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If resale value is a strong parameter the Skoda won’t be ideal. IMO, get the Corolla; all of these will be a downgrade from the Mercedes, but probably the best option in D-segment considering the parameters you have listed. For reasonable driving thrills, you have the A3 1.8 TSI anyway!

TD'd the Altis Petrol ZX AT Variant. Was just so underwhelmed, felt like I'm driving a C segment engine, not only that - the whole look and feel inside the cabin was just so boring - too mundane. For example: the Entertainment console was of such poor resolution and brightness that it was difficult to read, even in late evening - the colors were so washed. The instrument cluster, the lighting of the same was so underdone - the MID was so cluttered and unintuitive.

The Altis is a looked, especially after the facelift the headlamps and tail lamps look great, a lot like the older Camry. But, inside it's not a car worth 23.8 lacs.

No rear AC vent was a deal breaker for a chauffeur driven car, however the recline in the rear seats with no transmission hump was a plus point according to the family.

Besides, the sleepy attitude of the Toyota dealers, wasn't something I am used to after using Audi, BMW and MB. It was the same when I owned a Camry some 7-8 years ago, it hasn't improved - it took me 10 calls and 1 visit to get a test drive and the attention of the team leader, who knew his cars and knew how to treat a buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Just a comment on the tsi vs tdi. Among the two, since you are ok with both, would suggest the TDI. Just for the reason that the TDI does not use the infamous DQ200 7 speed dsg which has been more prone to failures. The TSI uses this DSG.

Is the TDI cheaper than the TSI?
The TSI wasn't available in 2016 models and would work out around 24.5 lacs for a 2017 model after the April price hike, also only available on booking.

I got the TDI over TSI simply because:

1. TDI's gearbox is much more reliable and apparently diesels fetch a higher value when it comes to Skodas.

2. Already have a 1.8 TSI mated with a 7 speed DSG - the Audi A3. No point having similarly spec'd cars from the same family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Hey just as a favour, could you please share your typical C class service costs especially the later years?

Coming back to your query:

You can consider C segment if the usage is primarily in the city and only front two seats are occupied most of the time. But if you factor in rear seat comfort and highway travel, D segment will be worth the extra money.

Toyota vs Skoda is a very simple decision. Get the Toyota if it is going to be chauffeur driven with high mileage usage (errand car). If the usage is moderate and/or it is going to be driven by yourself on highway trips, then it is worth taking a chance with Skoda. Skoda TSI is a real fun car and TDI is an OK car.

Within Toyota, I would suggest get the Innova, give it to the driver and never bother to drive it yourself. Corolla is an extremely unimpressive car, it only makes sense to people who want an executive sedan from Toyota brand - you know people don't want to drive Innova (a mini van) to a business meeting, etc.

Personally my preference is to be either completely cold or completely hot - never lukewarm So it is Skoda TSI or Innova. Given that you have A3 already, get an Innova.
The service costs were around 40,000-50,000 at an average. However, off late with the engine mounts and suspension needing overhauls - the estimated repairs were around 8 lacs. So it was a good time to say goodbye to the workhorse.

Would get the Innova, but Toyota has really got the pricing wrong on the top-end AT. 2 lacs too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Stick to the Octavia TDI. My rationale is that:
A. Your usage is not low but medium
B. It will be driven largely by a chauffeur
C. Resale will be better than the TSI
D. You can still enjoy the diesel torque on weekends etc.
E And you already have the A3!
Applied the exact same logic and took the plunge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Since it's low cost of maintenance, resale value and fuss-free ownership you seem to value, I wouldn't recommend the Octavia to you. Their service seems to have improved of late, but it's still not a patch on the Toyota.

You also have a fantastic, fun to drive sedan in the A3 too. The Octavia doesn't make sense in that scenario, in either avatar.

I'd go left field and pick the Innova. Since you're ok with being mostly chauffeur driven, go for the Innova. It ticks all your boxes and will be peaceful to own. And when you do choose to let your hair down and drive a car which is a bit more a wild thing, you can always turn to the A3, which is a vastly underrated drivers car. I reckon you won't even drive the Innova all that much given the presence of the A3 as an alternative for all those self-driven occasions that might pop up.
I'd disagree about Toyota's service - their sales team is lethargic compared to Skoda, perhaps they don't have the hunger to do better, they're market leaders. About after sales, when I had my Camry the service at Toyota was always very impersonal and red-taped, but of course Skoda is in it's own league when it comes to poor after sales service, really hope they've improved that aspect.

It would have been an Innova if it was priced correctly. It's the perfect bridge car between D and C segment.
madnish30 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 10:57   #95
BHPian

Please give me suggestions for my below requirement of a D segment sedan:

1. 80% of the time car will be driven by chauffeur and primarily in city. Monthly average running around 1200 to 1400 km.
2. Back seat ride is a BIG priority. I am alright will little less space at the back or slightly noisy suspension, but no bouncy ride accepted. The ride should be much better than a Vento/Rapid.
3. Of course a safe car.
4. I am alright to miss some goodies like memory seat, sun roof etc. for the sake of better ride and handling.
5. Would love to have an AT if the manual is not easy to drive in busy city traffic.

With the above requirement, zeroed down on Octavia TDI style plus AT and Jetta manual diesel comfortline. Both are 2016 manufactured cars with good discount. Jetta 2016 comfortline model has most of the essential features, though I will miss on lot of goodies present in Octavia. I am OK with those, but the big differentiator had been the automatic transmission. I could not get a highline TDI AT Jetta with dealers unfortunately.

With Octavia, the ride would be a little stiff in city. Also, I would miss the multi-link which can significantly enhance the comfort level at the back seat, but I get lot of goodies and a loaded car really. With Jetta I get a better build car with multi-link but no convenience of AT at this stage. And I am a bit worried about relatively heavy clutch in Jetta and I am not sure how much it would cause a problem for me in future. A light clutch like SCross 1.3 would have been ideal. Suggestions please.

Last edited by sups : 29th May 2017 at 11:08.
Old 8th June 2017, 19:21   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Please give me suggestions for my below requirement of a D segment sedan:

1. 80% of the time car will be driven by chauffeur and primarily in city. Monthly average running around 1200 to 1400 km.
2. Back seat ride is a BIG priority. I am alright will little less space at the back or slightly noisy suspension, but no bouncy ride accepted. The ride should be much better than a Vento/Rapid..
Forget D segment, just go for a Nissan Sunny instead. it's back seat is better than higher categories.

If you do have to spend 20 big ones, again see the reply above and get a Hexa or Innova instead. Neither Jetta or Octavia are designed​ for being driven around.
Old 12th June 2017, 15:30   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptiwa View Post
Forget D segment, just go for a Nissan Sunny instead. it's back seat is better than higher categories.

If you do have to spend 20 big ones, again see the reply above and get a Hexa or Innova instead. Neither Jetta or Octavia are designed​ for being driven around.
Thanks for the response.

I have been in the back seat of Sunny and Innova for long distances. And they no where come close to the suspension setup of Octavia. Just availability of space and good seats does not alone make a ride comfortable. Sunny has a soft suspension and it becomes bouncy with speed and there is quite a bit of movement inside. I do not like the side ways movement of Innova at all. Infact, myself and my family is more comfortable in an Etios than in Innova.

If I keep Jetta aside, the new Octavia TDI with its plush interiors, almost zero side-by-side movement and no bumpiness, silent cabin, good leg space makes it a good car to be in the back seat. Note that I will be driving myself for 20 to 30% of the time as well.
sups is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 02:16   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys,

In a unique predicament.

We're on the look out for an automatic car to replace the Etios.

Requirements are as follows:
- 75% to 95% chauffeur driven (depending on car)
- diesel AT preferred but open to petrol options
- commute will be over good roads and some poor potholed stretches
- will be primarily used by mom or wife (depending on car), though dad (64 years and 6'1") will also sit in it. Prima facie if it's diesel or/and a cross over then wife will use, otherwise mom will use a petrol and a sedan (probably pick up a better sedan for her in a year when the Laura is due for replacement). Mom's commute is 100kms a week and wife's is 400kms a week so depending on the car, one of them can use it)
- should be compact and easy to drive, as well as robust enough for a highway trip (again this latter part isn't a deal breaker).
- safety features need to be there: speed sensitive auto door lock, airbags, abs, esp, etc.
Nice to have features: bi-xenons, sunroof, music system, auto wipers. AWD would be great if the car is a good highway cruiser and will be my choice for road trips - however if we pick a sedan now then we can look at getting a better SUV to replace the Laura next year or whenever it's up for replacement.
- ease of maintenance is important
- we would like to keep it for as long as we can / as long as it serves our needs (4 years minimum, we've had cars that have been with us for 10 years too)

With this is mind, any suggestions on what we should look for?
Other cars in the garage include a S-Cross 1.6, Laura TDi DSG, C220d, A6 2.0TDi so fun to drive isn't a top criteria as the Laura and S Cross fill that gap for the time being. However point to note is that we previously had an E60 525d which was a joy to drive and had to sell it as the trusted driver had a change in duty and the car was not being used much (too big for the city to self drive everyday, no good enough driver found, etc.)

In fact, the Etios serves our needs quite well except it's not automatic and the S Cross can be used as beater too so may as well get something nicer.

Dad loves the creta as a lot of his friends have one and self drive around in it (though he rarely drives in the city unless he is forced too and I think with traffic the way it is, an uber is the way to go - however he used to be a passionate driver earlier, and from what I hear, an excellent one at that - so I would like it if he could drive more often if he enjoys it). However, I am not fond of it as I don't think my mom and occasionally my granny would be comfortable getting in and out, and I find it over priced. What gets me infuriated though is the lack of features on the top end auto creta (no speed sensitive auto door lock if i remember correctly for starters) and I've never had a very fond liking for Hyundai's.

I preferred the corolla AT at a little bit more but he doesn't see value in it. Prefers the city to the corolla, which I detest (too low, niggles, and average in my opinion).

One option we both are ok with is the Octavia AT (though I'd prefer something a little less complicated, but if it boils down to it - it can be overlooked).

There is no fixed budget but I don't think we would want to stretch over the price of an Octavia.

Lastly, we are in no rush to buy a car as the Etios is performing brilliantly but it will happen sooner rather than later as the need for an automatic is growing.

Thoughts?

Last edited by lamborghini : 18th July 2017 at 02:20.
Old 18th July 2017, 03:04   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
There is no fixed budget but I don't think we would want to stretch over the price of an Octavia.

Lastly, we are in no rush to buy a car as the Etios is performing brilliantly but it will happen sooner rather than later as the need for an automatic is growing.

Thoughts?

Another car that would fit your requirements to the T is the Jeep Compass petrol AT or the diesel AT when launched next year. Though the back seat is not very spacious I think it should be fine for your wife and mother and your dad can sit at the front whenever he is chauffeur driven. It's a robust car and can be used for highway trips and bad roads with aplomb. It's a great looking new car which should sell without many changes for at least 5 years. Octavia is a like for like replacement to your Laura and is no doubt a great sedan so it boils down to your sedan vs SUB requirement as both are the best in their respective segments. Hope this helps.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 12:20   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Another car that would fit your requirements to the T is the Jeep Compass petrol AT or the diesel AT when launched next year. Though the back seat is not very spacious I think it should be fine for your wife and mother and your dad can sit at the front whenever he is chauffeur driven. It's a robust car and can be used for highway trips and bad roads with aplomb. It's a great looking new car which should sell without many changes for at least 5 years. Octavia is a like for like replacement to your Laura and is no doubt a great sedan so it boils down to your sedan vs SUB requirement as both are the best in their respective segments. Hope this helps.
I think that is what it boils down to.

Ideally a petrol Octavia would be great (damn DSG woes), but I think the need for a Cross-over/SUV is greater at the moment, especially with the driver having to drive a long distance in traffic daily in a not so friendly manual car (translates to a slightly jerky ride / higher wear and tear of clutch for a smoother ride).

The Compass is a very attractive option but waiting till next year for the diesel auto variant is going to be a pain!
The only other option being a Tiguan Comfortline which is going to exceed the budget a little, and also miss out on some niceties such as the Sunroof - and I hear ride quality is strictly average!

Can't wait for the TBHP reviews of both cars!

Another thought it picking up the CR-V now for mom, and the Jeep Compass/Tiguan for wife after a year (note: wife has the better driver out of the two) - how would ingress and egress be?

Last edited by lamborghini : 18th July 2017 at 12:46.
Old 18th July 2017, 13:44   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi guys,

In a unique predicament.

We're on the look out for an automatic car to replace the Etios.
If you are ok with the City, why not the Ecosport AT? Probably good to wait for the face-lift.

On the other end, (if you are good with the design) look at the GLA 180 sport
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 14:15   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If you are ok with the City, why not the Ecosport AT? Probably good to wait for the face-lift.

On the other end, (if you are good with the design) look at the GLA 180 sport
I don't like the City, and dad doesn't like the EcoSport. Ideally I would also like something from a higher segment for mom to use as she deserves something nicer (she was using the 5 series daily, until the driver issue came up), and for my wife too - it needs to be better than the S-Cross which she currently uses.

The GLA 180 is too cramped, but it does make me think about a B Class as an option - spacious, has a little snob value, compact enough for the city, and practical enough for the daily run.

The way I see it, our family can be sub-divided into two smaller groups:

mom & dad - One nice car (dad - A6), and one car that wouldn't be out of place running errands (mom's car) but also comfortable enough to ferry them for dinners, etc.

Wife & me - One nice car (C Class), and one car that can be a little more abuse friendly (S-Cross at the moment). By abuse friendly I mean that I will take it to places where the Merc will not go - poor roads, roadside parking, etc.

Etios serves between office duty, and a back-up car for home when needed.

Out of this, the Germans have a dedicated driver (Audi & Merc) and not given to multiple people, whereas the others will be driven by everyone (including the Skoda which was earlier solely driven by me).

The Etios will be replaced this year, and the Laura next year mostly (would be used by wife if we get mom a new car, or if we get wife a new car then mom will use the Laura).

Cars that dad and I don't see eye to eye on / both of us don't like much:
- EcoSport
- City
- Present CR-V (though this may be negotiated a little)
- Creta
- Tata & Mahindra products

So far, the list of probables includes:
- B Class & Octavia for mom
- Compass & Tiguan for wife
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 14:54   #103
BHPian

Quote:
So far, the list of probables includes:
- B Class & Octavia for mom
- Compass & Tiguan for wife
How about the Volvo V40 even better the Cross Country?
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 15:08   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
How about the Volvo V40 even better the Cross Country?
Last I enquired, the V40 was truly pushing the budget too much for what is essentially a cramped hatch.
The B Class at least has a lot of space in it's favour, which the V40 lacks.

If I am willing to spend so much, I'd rather get the X1.
Old 31st August 2017, 11:34   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
I then suggested to him that we take a look at the new Superb. After assuring him of the change of dealer, he agreed to take a look at the new Superb last Friday. The experience was refreshing, and as they say, the rest is history. Our new Superb 2.0 TDI DSG L&K is being delivered on Sunday

The icing on the cake - we retain the Accord too
Congratulations on the Superb. I have been hearing reassuring comments about the Chennai dealer and I have decided to look at the 1.8 TSI Superb. But I am unable to find any ownership review of the latest gen 1.8 TSI. It may be my poor searching skills but it would be nice if you or somebody reading this thread points me to one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks