Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2021, 11:26   #46
BHPian

Re: Upgrade from VW Polo GT AT | Honda City or Skoda Superb?

Logically, the best option right now would be to get a new honda City zx and wait for some time before buying a car from the big three, as you can comfortably get a 3/5- series car which will satisfy your FTD requirement.

However, there's also a flip side to this. I recently came across an article from another t-bhpian where he regrets not going ahead and buying a new car 2-3 years back, when the prices were reasonable and he could also get an upgrade from his existing vehicle( into another segment altogether), all within the same budget. Now, all he can buy is probably a mid- variant of a C-SUV or maybe the top variant of a hatchback( the likes of i20).
2-3 years down the line, it could be that the cars you're getting right now in your budget would be much more costlier, and you would not feel like getting a big enough upgrade over the possibly purchased city CVT( maybe a small hatch/ mid variant of a sedan). With the way prices are increasing these days, we can't be sure of anything and I'd suggest you go with the superb( it seems like you're content with the way it drives and also like it as a whole package) and buy another beater car maybe 5-6 months down the line. Imo it's looks are understated and elegant, plus it has most of the creature comforts you would like/ need for most purposes, not to forget it is more roomy than the more sporty Octavia and has more GC.

Else, if you can stretch your budget, you should go with the BMW 3-series as it has everything you need, and buy a beater car like the kwid 1 year after.
Peri_patetic99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 15:47   #47
BHPian

If you are not in a hurry of any sorts then please go back to drawing board and really asses what is that you need from a practicality & over all experience stand point.

Coming from a TSI engine do you expect the upgrade to give a similar thrill and still have practicality of maneuvering in the city? Then do consider below 3 options also.
  • Citroen C5 ( Yes this is the dark horse) but if you have the moolah then you should go drive it once. Great car for both City and Highway runs. It's a diesel and Autobox was smooth. Build quality is excellent and the ride on bad roads is plush.

• Octavia yes the same 2.0 L engine & gear box as superb and if you are not willing to spend top notch $$$ for L&K then do check Style variant. It's not bare bones at all. You could save 8 lakhs here. It's much easier to manage in city than superb, especially when you need to find parking slots. Lot of folks have started to write off Octavia post Slavia launch but hey you are not getting 320 NM torque, carnivorous boot with a build quality that Slavia can't match. One has to experience Octavia on a highway and then start making those rationale comments. Octavia has still lot to offer for a customer base that appreciates finer things it offers on table.

• Tiguan is soon releasing in December. Again same engines and gear box as superb and Octavia with great practicality of size for City and thrill on highway runs. Pricing is yet to come but not expecting to cross 37L OTR.

It's an interesting position to be in with such a wide budget. Go with the one that appeals to your heart and has sense of practicality. You won't regret much.
Old 20th November 2021, 21:44   #48
BHPian

If you've already used DSG, you will probably not like any other AT so the Skoda is the obvious choice.

Skoda or VW safety & build quality are unbeatable, too.

Besides, what's the point of buying a car if you're not getting any driving pleasure out of it?
Here again, Skoda is the obvious choice.
Old 23rd November 2021, 13:35   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkm View Post
TD the BMW X1 also
Entry level BMW is a very bad deal. The VFM quotient of X1 is no where close to Superb or Tiguan which is going to launch soon. It is only when you go to X3 or 3 series, the real BMW value kicks in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri_patetic99 View Post
Logically, the best option right now would be to get a new honda City zx and wait for some time before buying a car from the big three, as you can comfortably get a 3/5- series car which will satisfy your FTD requirement.

With the way prices are increasing these days, we can't be sure of anything and I'd suggest you go with the superb( it seems like you're content with the way it drives and also like it as a whole package).
Else, if you can stretch your budget, you should go with the BMW 3-series as it has everything you need, and buy a beater car like the kwid 1 year after.
With City as a clear reject now, it is down to Superb, A4, Tiguan or 3-series. BMW is a bit of a stretch and looks unlikely. A4 depends on the best possible deal I will get on this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
  • Citroen C5
  • Octavia
  • Tiguan
Citroen would not fit my 10-year car criterion. Did not like the black roof liner in Octavia and the key issue is that it is v easy to buy Superb with little more money. Slavia is not really in contention as I think the interior plastic quality maybe as bad as Kushaq. Also deliveries are expected in April and I cannot wait for 4-5 months in car less state, more so with an infant now. I am waiting for Tiguan and maybe able to get a faster delivery. But I am concerned about the stiff suspension which I hope to check myself in test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YK85 View Post
If you've already used DSG, you will probably not like any other AT so the Skoda is the obvious choice.
Skoda or VW safety & build quality are unbeatable, too.
I agree, waiting for Tiguan pricing to be launched.
manish84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 17:59   #50
BHPian

You are headed in the right direction!
The dangerous rut you might be getting yourself in to is say you buy a city now, and it is a fun but practical car, but a bit of a compromise.
2 years later when you plan to buy that FTD, you might suddenly come under pressure to buy an SUV. Our roads and age generally make a good case for SUVs. At that point you start looking for an SUV but one that is fun. Truth being that SUVs or CSUVs aren't ever really fun to drive. They are just more fun than the not fun models! There you land yourself with a city and another practical SUV. Two compromises, and then you patiently wait for your next car change!
To cut the long story short, in your shoes, having already made the above mentioned mistake myself, I would do the following:

A. Buy a really practical car now, preferably an SUV / Van.. mostly something like the Innova and buy an actually FTD sedan used , in 2 yrs

B. Buy the FTD car now, like 3 series or s60 polestar… and maybe buy a more practical car in 2 years.

A would mostly be my preferred route, and the FTD car would most likely be used!
ronk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 18:06   #51
BHPian

Why not wait for the Slavia's pricing? Looking at the two part reviews it seems to be better car with excellent engine and gear box and would fill most of the criteria
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 07:30   #52
BHPian

An update from last 10 days:

1. I was very closing to buying A4 technology from Audi South. They indicated a very lucrative price range and promised a final quote when we sit down for booking. After multiple TD and discussions, the SA came home with credit card machine for booking amount and gave a final offer of 53 lakhs for A4 technology OTR with EW. The difference between my price and 53 was 20% and of course I politely asked them to leave. They put up quite a stupid show by pursuing for a month, promising something on phone and then offering a ridiculous price.

2. Honda City was out of picture and continues to remain so. However, when I look at space vs cost for any other car, I just want to go ahead and pick a City. If only they had a better engine . I even read the City thread for all the dampening updates and trying to find ways to make the NVH better. Just cannot get my head around it. Am I unreasonably biased against City? This is a car which has been selling for 20 years! Slavia deliveries in March is too far.

3. Superb continues to be the reasonable choice and I am getting L&K for 42 OTR. That is full 20% higher from what GTO paid 9 months back. Given my past 1+ month of search and visiting all car showrooms, I have come to terms that I am buying a car at probably the worst of times (chip shortage) and hence I have to pay more. Bad timing & bad luck.

4. The new contender in the ring is Tiguan and I cannot wait for price reveal on 07 Dec. My wife has been anyways asking me to keep a SUV+Sedan mix for a 2 car garage. Given my bent for a BMW sedan (whenever that happens, mostly pre-owned), Tiguan is a perfect fit for the garage at this point of time. If Tiguan is price at around 32 lakhs OTR (same as Compass S), then I would go with it (unless the ride is super stiff) as I save 10 big ones compared to Superb and start with a SUV. However, if Tiguan OTR is more than 35, then again Superb becomes a better value proposition.

It is a period of anxious wait. Hopefully I make a decision that serves me well for next few years
manish84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 21:03   #53
BHPian

Tiguan is out of contention. At 39 lakhs OTR, I could buy a much bigger Superb with just 3 lakhs more. Now just got to convince myself to buy a Superb and forgo my BMW plans for 4-5 years. My friend suggested me to buy City and look for a used X3. That's a good suggestion but it's very challenging to find a good pre owned BMW. Any more suggestions to this dilemma? Have to close on the purchase this month.
Old 7th December 2021, 22:40   #54
BHPian

Combo 1 - Thar Petrol AT & Octavia

Combo 2 - Fortuner & Scross

Combo 3 - Tucson Diesel AT & Used anything of your choice.

These 3 Combos i can think of, my only suggestion buy one you really want today. For next one think later as priorities change.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 03:16   #55
BHPian

I replaces my polo 1.0 MPI with a 5th gen City. As soon as I bought the car I upgraded/upsized the tyres to continental uc6, installed rogerAB and upgraded the speakers. Mine is Manual transmission and to be honest I absolutely love driving it. I completed 11,000 kms in 3 months of my ownership.
However, I used to miss my polo and we were looking for a second car so we ended up buying a comfortline TSI for my wife.

I think you can go for Honda City right now and then later on you can get a pre owned German car.
Old 17th December 2021, 23:51   #56
BHPian

Was v close to buying a honda city and even paid the booking amount. But then called it off as I do not think CVT is as much fun as manual. Automatic is a must have for my wife. Superb is not available for Dec delivery and SA has asked to make full payment in Dec to ensure price protection and delivery in Jan end. All this for a tiny discount. Not buying Superb at this price point. The search continues especially for a pre owned BMW.
Old 18th December 2021, 08:13   #57
BHPian

@manish84, looking at your posts somehow I find City is the real Blackhorse for you. It never leaves your mind.

If BMW is your ultimate sedan and goal, you need to settle for some of these pseudo SUV’s
Old 23rd December 2021, 10:35   #58
BHPian

After lot of delibrations, bought home a pre owned 330i sport line yesterday. Finally realised on one fine morning that I need to decide for today's need and buy what I really want. When the need of second (beater/driver) car arises, I will buy the then available new/used car options (also that car could be MT - cheaper and more reliable). I have posted my purchase decision on this link.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5220540 (Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30))

Thank everyone for the helpful inputs.

Mods - we can change the title to "Bought pre-owned 330i" if possible.
manish84 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks