Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2007, 16:55   #1
BHPian

esteem query

I have decided (well almost! ) to buy an Esteem Lxi. Have been using Alto Vx(1.1) since 2001.have done about 70k.

why esteem? Want a VFM car with boot(was using the rear seats to carry luggage whenever we travel long distance, now that we have a new member (my son) he would require space for his car seat, & yeah my alto boot is almost occupied by the Kenwood sub, thus boot is mandatory), low maintenance, good mileage, good resale value. of course the biggest constraint being Cash. Ikon loses out on the maintenance & resale front, slightly expensive too. thus decided on Esteem.

Is that a good choice keeping the aforesaid factors in mind? Do I Have a better option without any stretch of the budget?
Esteem LXi on road price in Bangalore is Rs.5.29lakhs.cash discount of 30k & exchange bonus of 20k.though the VXI comes with goodies am not convinced on additional 29-30K to be paid.what say experts?Has any Tbhpian bought an esteem recently? Any info of better deals in blr? what all can I bargain from the dealer?

Need help in the following areas:

Power windows : LXI comes with front PW only, would like to install it for rear ones also. What would be the cost ,OE or after mkt?

Tyres : Lxi comes with 155 80 R13(don’t know which brand).would an upgrade to 14’ be a problem? Would it foul with the wells, when fully loaded or while turning.? OR the Vxi tyre 175 70 R13 be a better option? would not like to spend more than 8k post exchange.

Alloys : budget 15k(set of 5). dont know if its wishful thinking!!

Audio : I already have Sony HU, sony amp 222, kenwood sub woofer, rear speakers JBL 300. currently the amp drives the sub & the rear speakers & the front speakers are directly connected to the HU.Would require suggestions on front speakers(ones currently I have are crap) & new cabling budget 6-7k.Is the cabling correct?it was done at one of those places in mission road(wouldn’t like to name them),bangalore.job was bad.

Headlights : Would like upgrade to Phillips rally 100/90 with ceramic holders cutout & cabling.

FOG lamps : how much would a pair of fog lamps cost?

Security : esteem doesn’t come with i-cats security system.will go in for a central locking & security system.budget 6-7k.

NCB :thanks to ajmat’s thread I will be using the NCB of my alto.Since my current insurance is from maruti,hassles would be that much lesser.

Apologies for a long post, lot of queries & also for posting all the queries together.

Queries are for different sections but I thought one single post would be better.
Mods pls do the needful if im breaking any posting rules.
Old 1st June 2007, 00:00   #2
BHPian

Here you go:

Power windows : Shame that LXI comes with front PW only. Well I dont feel you would have an urgent need to install rear PWs. Go for LXi now, and if you really feel a need for rear PWs, they can be installed for as low as 6-10k
Tyres : Yes, R-14 would be a problem unless you go for spacers and fiddle with the suspension. But yes, tubeless wide rubebr should be great. Go for tubeless 175 radials...i guess if you go for apollo accelere, you would be landing for less than 8k after exchange.
Alloys : you would def get these for 12-15k
Audio : go for pioneer 4"....or if anyone has a better suggestion..
Headlights : Philips looks good
FOG lamps : depends...for esteem this should be around 1k for a decent one
Security : 6-7 k budget will also get you a gear lock along with remote lock from autocop.
Old 1st June 2007, 00:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Please find my attempt to answer some of your questions.

1. Power Windows: Why dont you go in for Esteem VXi that has power windows on all four doors ? I personally feel fixing power windows for the rear in the LXi is not a better option when you have the factory fitted one in the VXi.

2. Tyres: Expect your car to be shod with JK or MRF tyres. Maruti rarely offers Good Year or Bridgestone as OE as far as I have seen. I had my VXi delivered with JK and trust me it was hopeless and I changed over to Good Year GPS 2 for a softer ride. The 175/70 R 13 should fit your bill in my opinion and you have better tyres than the GPS 2 too.

3. Alloys: I had Aura alloys fitted and it came to 15K ( as per your wish !) Check my gallery for the same.

4. Fog Lamps: The Maruti OE fog lamps cost me 1.5K including fixing etc.

5. Security System: Am happy with the OE Nippon Security System that comes as factory fitted in the VXi. Maybe your needs are different.

To sum up, I feel you will be better off buying the VXi over the LXi. Also, the VXi comes with alloys as standard fitment now (not in 2003 when I bought mine)
Old 1st June 2007, 00:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you check the Logan 1.4? It will be a little slower than the esteem....But you will get a roomier car with a bigger boot. And to me the Logan looks atleast better than the esteem. And the 1.4 GLE with a 5.16L on road price (NOIDA) fits your budget as well.
Old 1st June 2007, 00:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Power windows : ** go in for autocop power windows.. they are not expensive and you can control all door windoes from driver seat. OE will have to go.

Tyres : Lxi comes with 155 80 R13(don’t know which brand).would an upgrade to 14’ be a problem? Would it foul with the wells, when fully loaded or while turning.? OR the Vxi tyre 175 70 R13 be a better option? would not like to spend more than 8k post exchange.

** I was running 195/50 15" on my esteem.. i dont think 14" will have any problem

Alloys : budget 15k(set of 5). dont know if its wishful thinking!! ** Aura alloys.. see if you can get hold of 4 mags..That should be enough

FOG lamps : how much would a pair of fog lamps cost? ** what kind of fog lamps are you looking for??

Security : esteem doesn’t come with i-cats security system.will go in for a central locking & security system.budget 6-7k.
** Autocop again.. starts from 3K and also compatible with your power windoes mentioned above.. once you lock the car all windows will roll up.

Godfather
Old 1st June 2007, 00:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
. And to me the Logan looks atleast better than the esteem.
Please dont even start this here... Please dont compare the Esteem's looks to that of the Logan.

Godfather
Old 1st June 2007, 00:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
Get 175/70-13 rubber on the stock rims...
Michelin XM1 or Bridgestone Turanza ER60 would be my tire choice
Old 1st June 2007, 00:43   #8
BHPian

Power Windows: I would seriously advise you to go in for the Vxi, not only does it have rear power windows all round but there is also a world of difference in the doorpads of the Lxi and the Vxi. The Vxi comes with much much better door trims and have the power window switches nicely integrated into it, whereas the Lxi comes with only front power windows and that too the power window controls on the Lxi look very flimsy and cheap IMHO, Please do compare the door trims and power window controls and the front and rear seats of the Lxi and the Vxi, i am sure you will notice a huge difference in quality.

Tyres: IMHO, The Esteem Vxi comes with an adequate tyre size of 175/70/R13's JK's. I would recommend an immediate tire change as soon as the car is out of the showroom. I did that 2 years back when i switched over to Michelin XM1's of the same size as soon as i drove the car out of the showroom at the nearest tire dealer. I had to pay only 4k for the switch to Michelins since my stock tires had only done 50kms till then. Alloys, you can get a good set of 5 for 12-15k.

Fog Lamps: Again the Vxi has this as standard fitment.

Security: You can install an after market remote locking system for your car for around 3-5k, Xenos and Autocop are known brands.

Audio: You do get Component speakers in 4" size which is standard front speaker size in the Esteem. I got 4" Kicker components which have a 4" Midbass, Crossover and a pair of Tweeters, this set cost me 5k. You can also go in for 4" co-axial speakers from JBL(since you have JBL rears) for approx 1.8k for the CS model and 2.5k for the GTO model in the JBL range.

Finally i feel in your case it will be better if you go in for the Vxi since it satisfies your need for all round power windows and fog lamps as OE fitment which i feel is a far better bet than having after market stuff, plus you also get a rear defogger, rear spoiler, Body coloured OVRM's and door handles, much better interior door and fabric trim levels,rear seat center armrest, Kenwood Cd player(i know you won't need this), drivers seat height adjustment, automatic antenna, wider tires etc. All in all i feel it makes itself worth it over the LXi

I got my car in Jan 2006 for 5.3L on road (i got the car on-road at the ex-showroom price here in mumbai due to some discounts going on then). The car still costs 5.3L ex-showroom in Mumbai. Don't know about Bangalore prices! Hope it helps. Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 1st June 2007 at 00:51.
Old 1st June 2007, 09:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Power windows : LXI comes with front PW only, would like to install it for rear ones also. What would be the cost ,OE or after mkt?
VXi is a far better option if you are looking for PW on all 4 doors. Plus the VXi has many more goodies like the spoiler (7k), central lock, slightly better interiors, driver seat height adjustable etc. After market ones will not last that long.

Quote:
Upgrade to 14" is fine, but not really required. Just upgrade your tyres to 175/70/13 Michelin XM1s or Bridgestone Potenzas (Imported). You will be spending less than that.

ENJOY!!!!
Old 1st June 2007, 09:36   #10
BHPian

ad75, You are planning to spend on the upgarde of tyres, Rear power windows, fog lamps, security system.....Also to add the body coloured door handles,mirrors,rear defogger, beige colour interiors......so why dont you spend that 25K extra and buy VXi. To my knowledge VXi OTR after the discounts might be anywhere around 5.2 L especially the car is out dated and due for a facelift. No doubt the car is the best in that segment and price. By buying the VXi you will get a OE and hence no void warranties !

Also VXi comes with JK 175/70/R13 which is adequate for that car. I personally prefer Potenzas....The car comes with kenwood music system and 4 speakers which you can upgade.The VXi comes with OE remote locking and security system. Also I heard that all maruti cars has iCAT systems.
Old 1st June 2007, 12:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

[quote=ad75;454086] Ikon loses out on the maintenance & resale front, slightly expensive too. thus decided on Esteem.

Great choice there. Esteem is a fun car to drive.

Here are my suggestions :

Power windows : Go for the VXi which comes with OE power windows for all four doors. Nothing better than the factory fit plus it will have warranty and will have almost zero problems.

Tyres : 175/70/13 or 185/65/13 will do. Suggest you to go for Michelin XM1 tubeless. My limited edition came with factory fitted Trax alloys (13 inchers) with 175/70/13 tires (JK tube type). Used the 185's for the trackday and didnt face any issues with it either.

Headlights : Go for Philips Rallye 130w/100w. They cost me Rs. 350 for a pair of bulbs and they last really long. Lucas relay and wiring kit costs around Rs. 500. With these the highway drives are effortless. Just refrain from using the high beam in city as it can severely blind oncoming traffic.

FOG lamps : The OE type (rectangle) costs 1k for a set of 2 and fits perfectly in the bumper space. But the illumination sucks. Get hella's instead which are better but more expensive.

Security : Maruti provides Nippon car security system which is very good. I haven't faced any issues in the last 5 yrs with it. Has a shock sensor too which can be disabled along with a host of other features. Second option would be Autocop.
Old 1st June 2007, 17:27   #12
BHPian

Hi Ad75,

Congrats for your new member in the family.

Apologies for the delay in answering to your concerns. I have bought a LXi in April 07, and I think I can let you know my opinion on the same:

Everone has covered almost all the points butplease note that though you can get everything replaced in a Lxi but the rear defogger cannot be. You can try from outside but MUL will not do it.

Power windows : You can get them as an after market fitment. BTW, I and my wife are travelling most of the times so never felt the need for it. Also, PW consume a lot of power. Personally, its ur choice

Tyres : I have Goodyear tubeless as Standard fitment, and never felt to upgrade, but again most of my driving is in city..Though I have done a recent 900 km run from Delhi to Chail, and there were some bad roads there...specially the kind of road wide enough to let one side pass and very very broken, but never felt out of control, ever!!

Alloys : Cant comment..others have adequately

Audio : You get a Kenwood system as standard fitment with Vxi, but since you already have one, then no use!!!

Headlights : TBHPians have answered adequately

FOG lamps : Not mote than 1k

Security : Ya, good idea!!I have Autocop DX cost me 4.5k. Has basic stuff, Central locking, immobiliser, stereo theft alarm, blah blah...BTW, you can also check the MGA security system by Nippon..the advantage is that instead of the connecting wires that run between pillars of the side doors in Autocop, this stuff has small sensory motors that enables wireless security. Since it is MGA you have that dealer giving some kind of discount also..depends on how u negotiate.

NCB : Cool...

As you pointed out the diff is about 29-30 k.
Assuming you dont need the stereo, 12k is saved straight forward (that what price is quoted at MGA).

So in 17-18k , broadly you get:
  1. Rear spoiler
  2. Slightly bigger tyres
  3. Fog lamps
  4. Central locking
BTW, I got my Lxi for 4.8Lacs OTR without any NCB

esteem is tremendous VFM car..like the ad...big on everything except the cost of ownership.

I am assuming that you have TD the vehicle since the only concern could be that the seating of car is very low compared to Alto...getting in and out could be an issue...but u get used to it

BTW, I got my car in Delhi...Go for it is all that I have to say
Old 1st June 2007, 18:19   #13
HSV
BHPian

Sorry 'ad75', although I know that you have already made up your mind to buy an Esteem; and probably I shouldnt be discouraging you now at this juncture in your decision making process.

However you do know that it is in the pipeline to be phased out soon, dont you? I had read it in one of the tbhp forums where they mention that MUL may replace it with a sedan version of Swift. Anyways it is an aging design so its only a matter of time now before it gets phased out. That may hit your resale value severely.
Old 1st June 2007, 22:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Please dont even start this here... Please dont compare the Esteem's looks to that of the Logan.

Godfather
Absolutely. The Esteem is far more better than the Logan in looks. How could someone even think of comparing the two ?
Old 1st June 2007, 23:19   #15
Team-BHP Support

go for vxi and try to get a good deal from dealer side
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks