Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2023, 16:37   #91
BHPian

Re: The Reliability Dilemma | Want to buy VW Virtus GT, but worried about DSG

I am also in this boat. Dad wants the next car to be a sedan, with a DCT. That automatically means either the new Verna or the Virtus/Slavia of which the Virtus is too expensive. Now, having seen many DQ200 horror stories on Team BHP, I'm uncomfortable even recommending a test drive of the Slavia - but the Verna's DCT is also a seven speed, with a dry clutch set-up, and thus could also have similar issues. What mitigatory steps can be taken to prolong a DCT's life in city driving? Dad has a 25km (one-way) daily commute with a good portion in the city.
Old 14th April 2023, 17:44   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzen7@5800u View Post
What mitigatory steps can be taken to prolong a DCT's life in city driving? Dad has a 25km (one-way) daily commute with a good portion in the city.
Buy a 7 year warranty for any DCT and live with the downtime if the transmission does give up. That said, there are far fewer cases of Hyundai DCTs going bad than the VW DQ200 - so it should be fine. Just avoid creeping at slow speeds in traffic by pressing the brake half way and put the transmission in neutral instead of holding it on the brake in D.
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 03:30   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzen7@5800u View Post
Now, having seen many DQ200 horror stories on Team BHP, I'm uncomfortable even recommending a test drive of the Slavia - but the Verna's DCT is also a seven speed, with a dry clutch set-up, and thus could also have similar issues. What mitigatory steps can be taken to prolong a DCT's life in city driving? Dad has a 25km (one-way) daily commute with a good portion in the city.
For every horror story on DQ200 there's a love story as well. I found this out later when i started doing my research offline.
You would be surprised how different experiences are online vs offline.

That out of the way what you need to avoid with DSG is gearbox heating. Slot it in 'N' when you are on a traffic signal. If you realise you might be waiting 60+ seconds just slot it in 'P'. TBH it's a good practice with any automatic gearbox. I do the same with TC gearbox i have in Harrier and Polo.
BleueNinja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 16:26   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
For every horror story on DQ200 there's a love story as well. I found this out later when i started doing my research offline.
You would be surprised how different experiences are online vs offline.

That out of the way what you need to avoid with DSG is gearbox heating. Slot it in 'N' when you are on a traffic signal. If you realise you might be waiting 60+ seconds just slot it in 'P'. TBH it's a good practice with any automatic gearbox. I do the same with TC gearbox i have in Harrier and Polo.
One of my friend who owns sioda DSG told that he keeps the car in manual mode when driving in bumper to bumper traffic.
Does it help in anyway?
Old 28th June 2023, 18:21   #95
BHPian

I would take an analogy to describe this choice. OLED TVs.

One of the biggest risks of OLED TVs is the burn in of image if you watch same content with the same static logos for prolonged times (think news) day over day. Image Burn-in is a good enough reason to discard OLED TVs at the outset.

But folks buy OLEDs (including your truly ). Why? No other panel can match the picture quality- the deep backs, pixel level dimming and superb contrast! It's lifelike.

How? You just got to be careful with your usage- don't leave the news channel with logo and strip on full day, etc. and if you watch a lot of news / sports - go for another panel.

DSGs are quite like OLEDs. They will give the driving pleasure that no other gearboxes in the segment can- lightening fast upshifts, quick downshifts, right gear all the time, etc. But dual clutch burn is a known problem and a reason enough to reject it.

Here as well- I would say if you can define your usage pattern and understand those small adjustments (shifting to N during heavy traffic, avoid N to D shifts at high rev, etc.) it will be really rewarding. If you are going to be in traffic 90% of time, go for TC.

With this understanding I have also booked a Virtus GT
attrip2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 19:22   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopvk268 View Post
One of my friend who owns sioda DSG told that he keeps the car in manual mode when driving in bumper to bumper traffic.
Does it help in anyway?
Don't think it done. Close to 10 years with the DQ200 on my Vento TSI and I have never done this. Putting to N in a long signal is something I always do.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 15:06   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Does it help in anyway?
I don’t think that would make any difference. Forum members can correct me.

The whole heating issue arises due to gearbox being constantly in Drive mode. Irrespective of gearbox whether TC OR DSG I shift it to N when halted. Even if you enable manual mode the gearbox is in drive mode as such, I mean it’s similar to you stuck in traffic with 1st gear engaged and clutch pressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrip2008 View Post

With this understanding I have also booked a Virtus GT
Congratulations! Hope you have a lot of fun with your car.

Cheers!

Last edited by BleueNinja : 29th June 2023 at 15:08.
BleueNinja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 18:59   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Does it help in anyway?
The DSG in VAG 2.0 cars is tuned bit differently vs. previous iterations of DSG (vento, rapid etc.) in my understanding. The peak torque comes at a slightly higher RPM (1600) and also there are slightly more aggressive soft limiters present (hence the initial lag). All this is to reduce strain on gearbox. So, I would be okay to keep it in the D mode for moving traffic. If there's bumber to bumper, turning to N during longer waits would be better way then driving in manual. Manual mode is D essentially.
attrip2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 19:50   #99
BHPian

Hi. This has been discussed on this forum - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...earbox-13.html (DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox)
Moving to N when stationary for more than 30 seconds and shifting to manual mode when moving in slow traffic are included there. My understanding is that in Manual mode, the gearbox is not trying to upshift on its own and hence one prolongs clutch life ( assume it's manual mode in M1 or M2 at best, higher gears would result in clutch slipping). In most diagnostics of Dsg failures, it's usually the D1-2 and / or D2-3 that see the most wear and tear. This should hopefully avoid that.
Old 29th June 2023, 20:50   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it help in anyway?
Only advantage would be lesser gear changes (as the 'auto' can keep hunting for the right gear resulting in frequent shifts) as you are in control. Otherwise, it won't make any difference.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 21:16   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does it help in anyway?
Think of a manual gearbox. Keeping the car in 1st during a traffic jam doesn't really help the gearbox much. You will have to keep it in neutral or disengage the clutch to get any benefit. Same thing applies to a DSG gearbox.

By keeping the gearbox in manual mode and pinned to 1st gear, you will be avoiding the unnecessary gear changes which will marginally reduce the solenoid cycles and as a bonus you will also prevent the jerkiness of 1-2-1-2 gear changes in certain aggressively programmed gearboxes. More recent versions of DSG don't do too many 1-2-1-2 gear changes (it mostly remains in 2nd gear) and these gear changes are also pretty smooth without any jerkiness. So I don't bother with this manual mode technique with DGS. I try to use N where I can and leave it in D for the rest of the time.

I use manual mode in certain cars (BMW F10 520D ZF8 and 1st gen Porsche PDK) to avoid jerkiness during long spells of bumper-to-bumper traffic. Mercedes GBs are very smooth in slow moving traffic. Recent DSG boxes also do a pretty good job. I think VW tuned them to be a bit less sporty to improve smoothness in congested traffic, it has lost some of that edgy characteristic of early DSGs.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 21:24   #102
BHPian

Thank you everyone for the reply.
He got this info from VW service centre it seems.
That if you don't use manual mode in steep hills or bumper to bumper traffic, the gearbox will get heated up.
Old 30th June 2023, 22:35   #103
BHPian

Experience with my Skoda Laura: The DSG boxes especially in D mode do have a tendency to switch to 2nd immediately after moving and keep slipping the clutch in bumper to bumper traffic. Hence it is beneficial to use manual mode and keep the gear in 1st in crawling traffic. Also, keeping the selector in N when the vehicle is standstill goes a long way.
vignesh.cv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 16:47   #104

I would advise against the VAG twins with or without the DSG. MY FIL owns a manual Diesel Jetta & while the engine pulls like a wild horse, the car threw up a Laundry list of big ticket issues and replacements close to 1L Kms. Ate up north of 2-3 lakhs in aftermarket spares alone. I'm in market for a car and while I loved all their cars better than any competitor, I personally would not indulge in such troublesome luxury.
Old 13th July 2023, 12:27   #105
BHPian

Some claims over improvements in 2.0:

DSG issues in 2.0 cars:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
Also, keeping the selector in N when the vehicle is standstill goes a long way.
Should be rather 'P' or just remain in 'D' with the brake pedal firmly pressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
The DSG boxes especially in D mode do have a tendency to switch to 2nd immediately after moving and keep slipping the clutch in bumper to bumper traffic.
In my recent TD (and as confirmed by many owners) of a 2.0 car I did not observe this behavior. No jerkiness or slipping in a bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Disclaimer: Just sharing what I came across. I neither own a DSG car neither confronting any of the claims made in the videos shared.

Last edited by kpkeerthi : 13th July 2023 at 12:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks