Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2023, 12:19   #31
BANNED

Re: Why have we forgotten the Maruti Ciaz? It's still value-for-money

If I were in the market for a sedan and my budget was restricted to 12.5 lakhs ex-showroom, I would happily have gotten a Maruti Ciaz Automatic. if it were on sale, the S-Cross would have been my pick for a crossover as well.

The Ciaz gets the basics right in my opinion, and nothing else, but for someone who just needs that and is restricted by budget, I see nothing wrong with the Ciaz.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 12:45   #32
BHPian

Well, I need some further clarifications in terms of the safety. Isn't Ciaz rated 4 star? And, if that rating is for a Thai specific model / trim / whatever; what is the between Thai and Indian spec car?
Old 11th July 2023, 13:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

I think the header needs a rephrase! Maruti has forgotten/dished out step motherly treatment to the Ciaz (also Ertiga/XL6) by not updating the car regards, engine, safety and features thereby making it fall of the buyers radar. Ciaz needs a proper turbo petrol, new gear box and at least 6 airbags all this from a clean sheet design and not on the present model. Maruti's one liter turbo isn't enough and it's also low on numbers and moreover the game has moved far ahead than what Maruti's engines can offer. The only bright 'spark' literally in Maruti's engine line up is the 1.2 DualJet K series, rest are all so Hoo Hum...Maruti's needs a turbocharger as of yesterday and it still hasn't woken up to the competition. It's become greedy and wants to market high priced products like the Invicto and Jimny which are at best niche and will see very very low numbers.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 11th July 2023 at 13:46.
Old 11th July 2023, 14:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud BRV Owner View Post
I find it bemusing to note that there is almost ZERO recommendation for Suzuki's Ciaz.

So, my question is : WHAT'S WRONG WITH CIAZ????
Allow me to repackage it for you sir.

If you are looking to buy a C segment sedan, Honda City/Slavia/Virtus/Verna offer much more (at a price of course). And they are more modern so will stay relevant even 10 years from now. Ciaz gets beaten hands down because of these factors.

If you are looking to buy a Rs10 lacs car, it is much better to buy a Ciaz than, say, a Tigor or Dzire or Aura.

I have been saying all along in my past posts. Ciaz is amazing and totally VFM. It just depends upon what you are seeking (Rs 10 lacs car or a C-segment sedan).

Fronx pricing vs Ciaz pricing:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5535833 (Maruti Fronx Review)

Why Ciaz better than Fronx turbo:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...ml#post5550222 (2023 Maruti Fronx | Which engine + gearbox combination would you buy?)

Ciaz cons but still extreme VFM:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5547036 (Maruti Ciaz : Official Review)
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 22:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post

If you are looking to buy a Rs10 lacs car, it is much better to buy a Ciaz than, say, a Tigor or Dzire or Aura.

I have been saying all along in my past posts. Ciaz is amazing and totally VFM. It just depends upon what you are seeking (Rs 10 lacs car or a C-segment sedan).
Not fair to compare top variants of sub 4 meter cars to base variants of Ciaz. Such overlap has existed everywhere, and one should buy as per their requirements.

I would try to compare the top end automatic variant of Ciaz with base automatic variant of City.

As per Pune onroad prices, Ciaz costs 14.64L whereas the City is available at 16.06L, a meagre 1.42L more.

IMO spending 1.42L more and getting a base City Automatic is anyday a much better option than getting a top end Ciaz Automatic. City Base V variant would still be the better car in terms of space, practicality, features, refinement, NVH, performance, gearbox, steering and handling parameters.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 04:40   #36
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud BRV Owner View Post
Well, I need some further clarifications in terms of the safety. Isn't Ciaz rated 4 star? And, if that rating is for a Thai specific model / trim / whatever; what is the between Thai and Indian spec car?
Although both Ciaz and Ertiga scored 4 stars in the ASEAN NCAP way back in 2016, they were based on the models produced in Thailand and not India. The Ertiga is based on the HEARTECT platform, whereas Maruti's Vitara Brezza/ Toyota Urban Cruiser which scored 4-stars in the GNCAP is based on the Global C Platform, so the Ciaz should definitely score at least 3 stars if not 4.

I am not absolutely sure whether the Ciaz is based on the Global C Platform or the HEARTECT Platform, so unsure which rating to rely upon.
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 07:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Not fair to compare top variants of sub 4 meter cars to base variants of Ciaz. Such overlap has existed everywhere, and one should buy as per their requirements.
Correction: I did not compare top variant of compact cars with base variant of Ciaz.

Between Ciaz and City/Slavia/Verna etc, I have already mentioned that Ciaz loses out and is not recommended. I agree with your post but my only point in my previous post was that there is a very specific situation where Ciaz can be considered in 2023. Where it becomes the most VFM product.

I was comparing top models (XZ Plus) of cars like Tigor with mid variants (Delta/Zeta) of Ciaz.

Rather than spending Rs8 lacs ex-showroom on a Tigor top variant manual transmission, I find it better to spend around Rs9.x ex-showroom on Ciaz mid variants.
Old 12th July 2023, 07:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Correction: I did not compare top variant of compact cars with base variant of Ciaz.
By your earlier statement it looked like, because the price overlap (there is still substantial gap in price, explained further) exists only for base variant of ciaz with top end of sub 4 meter sedans.

Quote:
I was comparing top models (XZ Plus) of cars like Tigor with mid variants (Delta/Zeta) of Ciaz.

Rather than spending Rs8 lacs ex-showroom on a Tigor top variant manual transmission, I find it better to spend around Rs9.x ex-showroom on Ciaz mid variants.
Just checked Pune ex showroom prices for both.
Top end XZ+ of Tigor retails at 7.85 L ex showroom. Onroad = 9.29 L.

Ciaz Sigma retails at 9.3 L. Onroad price = 10.80 L.
Ciaz delta retails at 9.9 L. Onroad price = 11.48 L.
Ciaz Zeta retails at 10.3 L. Onroad price = 12.15 L.

Like I said it's like comparing top end variant of Tigor with base variant of ciaz. Still in onroad prices the gap remains 1.11 L for Sigma variant. Gap widens substantially at delta and Zeta at 2.20 L and 3.86L respectively.
Old 12th July 2023, 11:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
The comparison should be between apples, not between an apple and a mango.

I myself own a 2019 P MT Ciaz, I'm pretty satisfied and happy, without an iota of doubt. However, when I get to drive the actual competition (~City, Verna, VW Twins), I understand why I'm just satisfied, not excited

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Absolutely true. There will always exist a price overlap in between a top-end of 1 segment and the lower variants of the immediate next.
However, there is a considerable difference in the target segments of both the categories - the Sales folks of dealers are very well trained to convince customers to cross-shop/push for an upsell.
Eg - A potential customer @ Nexa, who intends to go for a Baleno Alpha, may not be convinced for a Ciaz Sigma, even though the price difference is minimal, yet, the appeal of having a top end with all bells and whistles VS a higher category's lower variant may not influence the buyer's decision to switch.
There's a thread on team-bhp (couldn't find one) of how the lower variants of bigger cars make more sense than top-ends of lower segment cars.
Not getting into it to maintain sanctity of the thread we're in discussion.

Quote:

With this logic of comparison, we may just have created a new category only for the Ciaz - C1.5, sitting in between the Compacts (Dzire, Tigor, Amaze) and the Executives (City, Slavia, Verna and Virtus) .
Old 12th July 2023, 14:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

The apples to oranges part is clear to me since a decade. My previous car was a top variant of a hatch and I could have got a bare bones base variant of a sedan/big car for same price back then.

I currently drive S-Cross Zeta manual, a sub 10 lacs car. If I have to choose between Tigor and Ciaz, i’d buy Ciaz mid variant over top variant Tigor eyes closed because I find Tigor to have definite compromises in terms of cabin space and boot space. The prices of most cars have gone up considerably but Ciaz is still selling within the range of what it was priced 3-4 years ago.

Yes, i’ll have to pay a bit extra for Ciaz Delta/Zeta but then I also agree with GTO’s very apt thread that it is better to buy a better car by paying slightly more and keep it longer. Anyway, I have nothing more to contribute so I conclude this discussion on this thread from my side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
With this logic of comparison, we may just have created a new category only for the Ciaz - C1.5, sitting in between the Compacts (Dzire, Tigor, Amaze) and the Executives (City, Slavia, Verna and Virtus) .
Very well said dear. Thanks.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 21:49   #41
BHPian

Having driven a Xylo, and a 500, I pretty much had made up my mind how an XUV700 would drive. I was expecting a big bulky tough drive, and how wrong I was. That is how much the car scene had evolved, though it might not look so much from the outside.

So is the Ciaz, a tough drive, notchy gearbox with long throw, cramped driving seat, heavier than usual steering, terrible plastics - this was my initial impression after driving my friends’s 5 year old car. It still has a lot going for it. A no nonsense design, great rear bench. Good all round visibility and a sensible engine for such a light car.
Old 14th July 2023, 18:20   #42
BHPian

Well, this is an interesting topic. I am not a Maruti fanboy and am an avid critic of their build quality. Having purchased a Ciaz Zeta Automatic just 6 months back, i was in a similar dilemma. I take the privilege of commenting on this thread better than anyone else. My choices were between City, Slavia & Verna. My simple requirements were-Dependability, reliability, good fuel efficiency, space, 4 cylinder engine and low cost of service as well as availability of service centres all over the place. Definitely, i liked the Slavia a lot. But the pricing of 16 lakhs for an automatic was way too much for me. Add to that the brand proposition. After the Ford debacle, was not ready for another one. No trust in any foreign brand.

Compact SUV segment does not appeal to me. Without any offence to the owners of vehicles of this segment, this segment seems like inflated hatchback that have some air filled inside them and they have become an SUV. Nothing else. I had made up my mind that whatever car it would be, it would be always had to be either a full grown SUV or full grown Sedan. Since full grown SUV's were out of budget, hence opted for a full grown Sedan.

Coming back to the topic one by one. The engine may seem boring to some. But when offered, they will pick Grand Vitara or Vitara Brezza / Toyota Hyryder with same engine any given day. So where is that boring option.
Secondly, the gizmos inside the car does not matter to me. While i am driving, i will concentrate on the road and will focus on driving. Not on the gizmos blinding me.
Thirdly, the gearbox may be from the time of Grandpa but is the most reliable gearbox. There have been numerous instances of DSG/DCT gearboxes failing due to multiple issues. Show me some instances related to the failure of 4 speed TC gearbox
Fourthly, am not aware about another option where a 1.5L automatic gives a fuel efficiency of 16-17 in city bumper to bumper traffic(those staying in South Delhi would be aware about the notorious Sarita Vihar/Mohan co-operative stretch). One of my colleague has a Slavia 1.0 and his one tank-full lasts 4 days. Mine for 8 days. Paid service costs 4600 for a maruti. Show me a Honda/Skoda/VW/Hyundai getting serviced at a service center for this much.

All in all, this car may be 9 years old, but people must not forget the engine upgrade (from 1.4 to 1.5) that the car received few years back. There may be views saying the car to be a lame one but for an average person who does hardly 3 highway trip in an year and most of time running from point A to point B doing the daily errands and also the fact that our cars spend 80% of their lives in the urban jungle, this car does 100% of duty pretty well.

At the end of the day, if you manage to save 2.5 Lakhs at the time of purchase and almost 1500 on every refill, perhaps you get the most value for money.
su1978 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 16:56   #43
BHPian

It should get a more powerful 6 speed CVT and atleast 150 hp/250 Nm of torque and better tyres. Else the earlier design + 1.3 diesel combo was great. Except the fact that it's bouncy and not well built (important!) it's a great city car even today in its present form, even the City. The Slavia/Virtus/Verna double up as great highway sedans.
Old 27th July 2023, 06:27   #44
BHPian

For my Ciaz, this is the eighth year. Fantastically comfortable A to B car.

But, I go with friends in their new XUVs, Cretas etc. Ciaz does feel outdated in many ways

If you buy the same Ciaz now, it will be relic in next 5 years. So, just don't.
Old 27th July 2023, 07:28   #45
BHPian

My 2 cents:

I love Ciaz cars sent to my house for pick up by my company when I am travelling abroad officially. The car looks cool and in the back seat feels like a limo. I never felt like this in any other car of same class when I am travelling to Airport on personal trips by UBER (Bangalore airport is about 50 kms from city)

Anyways, coming to the point, when buying a car, one should find out through internal resources if possible of the road plan for Ciaz by Suzuki. I remember doing a lot of research on Tata Safari trying to get internal info when it was launched in new avatar. I usually buy an automobile once in a decade and do-not want any regrets .Why I am saying Suzuki instead of Maruthi is that usually in the PLM world, the product is launched with a lot of thought process by the parent company with larger global view in what is the development plan from cradle to the grave of a particular model. If the company wants to kill a VFM product for what ever reasons , the end user especially a Petrol head should not be a victim. My advice is stay away from Ciaz as advised by lot of people who have a better info on Ciaz than me. You have many other options and a difference of 2 lakhs is not a big deal in your 10 years of ownership without any regrets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks